PDA

View Full Version : Shackle size, Interesting Youtube video from Dominion Offroad

D.K.
19-12-11, 05:02 PM
I am looking to replace my wire winch rope ( which has a bad squeezed section in it ) with synthetic and wondering whether i need a hook given the synthetic ropes generally come with a thimble.

Found this which makes interesting viewing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_S7MjzlwJI

Steve F
20-12-11, 10:05 PM
I started watching it without the sound, the first 3 minutes nothing happens ;) Is interesting though and makes some good points.

Cheers
Steve

Steve F
20-12-11, 10:10 PM
One thing though, will two eyes of a tree trunk protector fit in the smaller shackle as well as the eye on the winch rope?

Cheers
Steve

D.K.
20-12-11, 10:13 PM
I started watching it without the sound, the first 3 minutes nothing happens ;) Is interesting though and makes some good points.

Cheers
Steve

Doh, I guess i should have said interesting listening!

I was thinking the same thing about the problem of fitting in a protector or similar.
Maybe he is in Moab where there are probably not to many trees.

Hunno
21-12-11, 09:13 AM
But you could use multiple shackles.
He also mentions they are made from different materials. so if you buy a larger one out of the better material then it would be stronger again.

Wooders
31-12-11, 08:25 AM
But you could use multiple shackles.
He also mentions they are made from different materials. so if you buy a larger one out of the better material then it would be stronger again.
You should never ever join shackle to shackle you know right? ;)
I think the vid makes some valid points, but then again it condradicts itself a few times - for example:
4.20 - Crush-proof thimble. 4:30 Will be crushed.
5:00 - Don't be in a hurry. 5:25 Won't cause any delays.

Also he failed to mention what I feel is probably the most important benefit of using a smaller (lighter) shackle - and that is should something break (eg tree protector) the lighter shackle will be easier restrained from it's missle-like tragetory.
At the end of the day shackles are an inexpensive items and all 4x4ers should be encouraged to carry a RANGE of sizes in their recovery kit to cater for a range of recovery requirements.

stevet
31-12-11, 04:47 PM
Lay man's point of view, some valid point's made but not the brighest spark on the subject......
1.- As any decent rigger will tell you, which he completely forgot to mention, after tightening the schackle pin, back off at least a 1/4 to 1/2 turn before using it to save the "blue face" at trying to undo the schackle pin, back off that little, so much Easier to remove same.......... Better than dumping, when heat sealed as they say.................
2.- Make sure a little bit of wd40 etc and threads clean............
3.- I have never seen anyone use the pin as the recovery point, is that not the "loop" is for is used for the strap, with the pin used to secure all to the rig's involved(usually through the B/bar attachment point?)......
4.- Why the heck would you go out and spend all the money, hit the run's and realise/find out then, "Awh, it does not fit??" when you need it??.............
5.- What about the use of a dampener, not really mentioned,.........Little missile's damage just as bad as larger missile's and I have seen that unfortunately................
And yes, different size's do help.................