PDA

View Full Version : CANCELLED Zigzag 11th Feb 2012

Negdriver
22-12-11, 01:05 AM
Where -- Zigzag @ Lithgow
When -- Cancelled... Poor weather and track conditions.

Attending:

1. up2nogood
2. Negdriver
3. Greg D
5. rainman
6. bert-a
7. jeep_jk112
9. Reszo
10. SteveC

11. SKIZZI
12. Nekked
13. Steve F
14. ian C
15. bigblue
16. redrubi
17. Flatfender
18. DLE068
19. gp
20. memfis

Reserves

Steve F
22-12-11, 01:08 AM
We've also got the show and shine/ramping out at Rydal on the 4th of Feb for the Rydal show.

Cheers
Steve

Negdriver
22-12-11, 01:17 AM
Forgot about that. Changed for the weekend after. Plus I should still be ok to attend the Rydal show as well.

My XJ will be out of action on the 15th Feb so that should be good.

Dieselcon
22-12-11, 06:37 AM
Count me in please;)
Cheers jose

Bear
22-12-11, 07:39 AM
Please include Bear in the list.

Hunno
22-12-11, 08:03 AM
Hunno too.

D.K.
22-12-11, 09:30 AM
Count me in please.

jeep_jk112
22-12-11, 10:14 AM
Count me in also,
Thanks

sfedek
22-12-11, 10:27 AM
I will have a job by then so please put me down.

Eddy

kiwi kev
22-12-11, 12:08 PM
im in , thanks, kev

SteveC
22-12-11, 12:26 PM
Put me down for 11th too Please\
Steve

Negdriver
22-12-11, 04:07 PM
Is anyone willing to lead?

Hunno
22-12-11, 07:04 PM
not a problem

Negdriver
22-12-11, 07:15 PM
Awesome. Thanks Hunno. :smile-new:

rainman
22-12-11, 08:21 PM
put me down to

SKIZZI
22-12-11, 09:09 PM
put me on the list please

Nekked
22-12-11, 09:24 PM
put me and the missus on the list please... cannot wait...

cheers

Alex and Dani

Negdriver
22-12-11, 09:26 PM
Added to the list.

Steve F
22-12-11, 09:29 PM
me too

Cheers
Steve

ian C
23-12-11, 10:13 AM
Could i get on the reserve list please.

bigblue
23-12-11, 08:56 PM
Put me down on reserve list..

Thanks

Steve F
23-12-11, 09:38 PM
Spanish steps? Happy to help with a second group up there :)

Cheers
Steve

Hunno
23-12-11, 09:51 PM
Spanish steps? Happy to help with a second group up there :)

Cheers
Steve

We'll see who's up for what on the day, because I want to do the steps too.

jeep_jk112
23-12-11, 10:27 PM
x3 for steps

redrubi
24-12-11, 12:03 AM
I know this is pushing it! please put us down on the distant reserve list LOL

Cheers

Andy & Charl

Negdriver
24-12-11, 10:25 AM
Update list.

SKIZZI
24-12-11, 01:32 PM
6 reserves... Maybe we could organize a second trip?

Edit just read the second trip part :-/

Let's do it...

jeep_jk112
24-12-11, 01:44 PM
6 reserves... Maybe we could organize a second trip?

Edit just read the second trip part :-/

Let's do it...

For Different grades of driving?
Because I don't know what I'll give a go till I see it,
I know I want to do pipeline, lost city track, spanish steps and those wombat holes at the bottom of pipeline are great fun also....
Just don't ask me where to go coz I've only followed both times I have been in there
What grades would you guys give those tracks ?

Steve F
24-12-11, 01:52 PM
Not sure on all the names but Lost city track is a C- you can get pretty much anything down there and is really a tourist track, Spanish steps is B maybe B+ it's been a long long time since I've driven it so unsure now, wombat holes are probably a C or C+ as they are easily exitable if you get stuck.

Cheers
Steve

jeep_jk112
24-12-11, 01:59 PM
We have different lost city tracks in mind I think this didn't take you anywhere near lost city as such, was just a name a local called it...
I was in low range smashing my plastic steps when I went down that one =]
I'll have rock sliders for this trip hopefully, going on early jan

redrubi
24-12-11, 06:43 PM
I'm keen on the Steps!!:pirate:

Cheers

Andy & Charl

Flatfender
26-12-11, 12:25 PM
If there is still room please add me to the list.
Cheers
Ian W.

DLE068
26-12-11, 01:31 PM
Please add me to the reserves list.

DLE068
26-12-11, 03:03 PM
I should have my lift n tyres by then

gp
26-12-11, 06:22 PM
Yes I would like to come along, put me on the reserve list!<br>John Clark

Negdriver
27-12-11, 07:13 PM
Went down to Zigzag today mainly for exploring with a mate and met another xj from cherokee club. night owl or brown owl from ajor... cant remember the name.
But we went exploring and I noticed there are bloody heaps of tracks.

I don't know if some of you remember the ute that was "stuck" in the mud hole... we went past there and down the valley and found a decent track I'd recommend having a decent lift with muddies and a winch to try out.
There is also a chicken track next to it. But would love to see one of our heavier jeeps try that climb as a hilux at the time kept bashing his left rear side against the wall. Also witnessed 2 toyota landcruisers bogged and snatched out today. :D I was also told today that the blue mountains 4x4 club have a key for a gate to continue the track at spanish steps...
I seriously can't wait till my upgrades are done to try some of these tracks out.

jeep_jk112
27-12-11, 08:09 PM
The gates were open when I was up Spanish steps last,
They locked again?
Heard the "agreement" was no longer standing..

stevet
27-12-11, 11:31 PM
What gates??.. They only ever lasted about a week or two before being completely thrashed again................

stevet
27-12-11, 11:36 PM
The tracks are well know by a few, you got to see just a few on that day out, remember, the "C" grade easy track's........Lol............... The track off to the left of those bog holes are short and are deadended.................... Stephen.
There are a few more which should bring a smile to your face..........................

SKIZZI
27-12-11, 11:36 PM
Anyone willing to lead a second group?

Hunno
28-12-11, 01:44 AM
Anyone willing to lead a second group?

the real trick will be getting someone to run the easier trip?????

As this will be the first time i will have had the grand out I want to put it thought it's paces.

memfis
28-12-11, 11:05 AM
Hi if there is any room put me down thanks

Negdriver
28-12-11, 02:15 PM
This is quite the list now...

Negdriver
28-12-11, 10:03 PM
I don't know if some of you remember the ute that was "stuck" in the mud hole... we went past there and down the valley and found a decent track I'd recommend having a decent lift with muddies and a winch to try out.There is also a chicken track next to it. But would love to see one of our heavier jeeps try that climb as a hilux at the time kept bashing his left rear side against the wall.

This is a video of the track I was talking about... We didn't go all the way since there were people trying to get down behind us and in front of us...

Deleted the audio and replaced it.
As you can see I took the chicken track as I'm currently using an open diff and road tyres but at the end of the video you can see the track up top looks like a good challenge.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TUcAV7ByzOk

stevet
29-12-11, 03:30 AM
Yep, from the mud flats on the left back parralell ?? with the main road, straight left is short and ends quickly.............. We did not do that track up to the camp ground area but used the main road................ That slope, guess who would have made it up, with their A/T's??............. As I say to some, "Your Jeep & my Jeep, are better driver's than what we are, so we have to learn to catch-up to what your Jeep can do!"............ "Let the power (Jeep) be with you!", if you got into Star Wars....................

Reszo
05-01-12, 02:43 PM
pls put me down as a reserve

stevet
05-01-12, 03:33 PM
This is a video of the track I was talking about... We didn't go all the way since there were people trying to get down behind us and in front of us...

Deleted the audio and replaced it.
As you can see I took the chicken track as I'm currently using an open diff and road tyres but at the end of the video you can see the track up top looks like a good challenge.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TUcAV7ByzOk
Bet I know Which line ,you Will Not Take, again, but you never know these thing's..............Lol...............

bert-a
08-01-12, 11:44 PM
oops it look like my reply a while ago to be includedd on the trip did not go thru,
so pls if there's still a spot pls list me down.
Thanks,
Bert-a

up2nogood
28-01-12, 02:00 PM
I'll go a reserve spot, if there's any at the time.

kiwi kev
31-01-12, 09:26 AM
Im out guys, still trying to kick this pheumonia, may jump in with Jose .wont be at tomorrows meeting, apologies

Wolfe
31-01-12, 10:23 AM
Im out guys, still trying to kick this pheumonia, may jump in with Jose .wont be at tomorrows meeting, apologies

Sorry to hear mate, hope you are feeling better soon. Pneumonia sucks I had it a few times when I smoked, landed me in intensive care. On the up side I haven't smoked since1990.

kiwi kev
31-01-12, 05:28 PM
the only upside is that Ive lost 7 kilos , please accept my apologies for not being there tomorrow nite, see you all asap, cheers ,kev

D.K.
04-02-12, 11:03 PM
Waiting for RE bushes and flexi joints on my control arms so am going to give this one a miss.

up2nogood
05-02-12, 10:31 PM
Guys, really want to do this run as I've never been up there.
One question though, l'll have wife and baby with me. The latter is likely to need breaks. Don't want to hold things up, so is this trip going to be impractical?

Wolfe
06-02-12, 02:53 AM
Guys, really want to do this run as I've never been up there.
One question though, l'll have wife and baby with me. The latter is likely to need breaks. Don't want to hold things up, so is this trip going to be impractical?

As the convoy moves through a trail it will often stop and start hopefully these can co ordinate with your needs. I can't see it being too much of a problem just let the trail leader know at the beginning.

up2nogood
06-02-12, 09:42 AM
All good, we have decided to leave co-driver and baby behind.

Still in!!

Anyone likely to bail? Would really love to do this trip!

SKIZZI
06-02-12, 10:11 AM
Skizzi- still in

Hunno
06-02-12, 08:26 PM
Hunno's out jeep no finish

Negdriver
06-02-12, 11:16 PM
Updated... No reserves at this point and looks like 2 trips. Will update as the week progresses with the "IN's and OUT's"Still looking for someone to lead the 2nd trip as I'll be doing B'ish C grade depending on where I go in Zig Zag.I take it the other trip will be an A'ish B trip.

Dieselcon
07-02-12, 06:29 AM
I'm out, Plenty of photos and vids please. Have fun guys.
I'm on call this weekend so I'll be staying close to the gong. Will miss zig zag again:(
Not all lost...... will test camper at caravan park in Kiama. :)

Bear
07-02-12, 09:45 AM
We're out.
After checking the weather bureau web site which indicates rain every day this week in the Lithgow/Katoomba area, the Zig Zag will not have a chance to dry out after the recent heavy rain of the past two weeks.
I do not want to be party to causing further damage/degredation to the tracks in the area.

Bear.

jeep_jk112
07-02-12, 09:11 PM
sheesh! just checked the stats they have had 234 mls of rain since the start of feb :O

up2nogood
07-02-12, 10:19 PM
Having never been, is this going to turn into a horror trip? Will we end up tearing the place up?

SKIZZI
07-02-12, 10:28 PM
Which tracks do you plan on doing for the " easy " trip?

Negdriver
07-02-12, 10:33 PM
If it's going to be really wet, I'm still prepared to do some exploring. I'm not in it to mud bash. There are plenty of chicken tracks and if there are too many bog holes, we can turn around and try a different route.

Mainly mapping and exploring places I haven't been. Wouldn't be surprised if only 10 turn up.

When I was out there 2 Sundays ago, it was fairly dry considering it had been raining for 2 weeks straight.

Negdriver
07-02-12, 10:39 PM
Which tracks do you plan on doing for the " easy " trip?

Looking at doing the Fernbrook trail. From Old bells line of rd near the Volgan River to the trail. quite a few easy tracks through there.

Greg D
07-02-12, 10:41 PM
I had somehow imagined this trip was on Sunday, and couldn't make it, but now I see it is Saturday, so I will put my name down, as a reserve if necessary.
Greg D

Steve F
07-02-12, 10:42 PM
Having never been, is this going to turn into a horror trip? Will we end up tearing the place up? The ZigZag has plenty of gazetted roads that will not be mud filled with reasonable drainage. I'm all for treading lightly but this is one place where there is the oppertunity to give things a miss if they are really boggy. In saying that the tracks at the back of the Rydal show ground and the dirt roads around it were fine on Saturday after many weeks of rain. The important thing is that some common sense is used when we get up there and if the tracks are bad then we avoid them. As I said though the main roads around the place will be fine as they drain reasonably well. Of course without some common sense and considered track choices it can turn nasty very quickly. Cheers Steve

sfedek
07-02-12, 11:37 PM
Hey negdriver, better take me off mate. I still haven't found a job yet.
Have fun guys!

stevet
08-02-12, 02:39 AM
Having never been, is this going to turn into a horror trip? Will we end up tearing the place up?
Basically, yes folk's will do some damage if you venture of the main graded roads there onto the side track's....."Tread Lightly" as they say.....................

Wolfe
08-02-12, 10:35 AM
At present this trip is still on, if however we get a heavy downpour of rain between now and Saturday, the trip will be called. I base this on my impression of the tracks around Rydal on last Saturday. Common sense should prevail, if it is found that the tracks are inappropriate then alternate arrangements must be made. That will be at the discretion of the trip leader should the trip go ahead.

TRBN8R
08-02-12, 03:04 PM
Zig Zag is too muddy in rains... I have seen it turn from a C- to an A in 2 weeks. Lake Lyle is relatively more rocky than muddy so rain has a bit less effect on the terrain except for a few tracks which are easily avoidable... If u get someone to take you there instead of Zig Zag in case of heavy rain...... U can do a few tracks and be back on road by 1500 Hrs......

Hunno
08-02-12, 03:38 PM
At present this trip is still on, if however we get a heavy downpour of rain between now and Saturday, the trip will be called. I base this on my impression of the tracks around Rydal on last Saturday. Common sense should prevail, if it is found that the tracks are inappropriate then alternate arrangements must be made. That will be at the discretion of the trip leader should the trip go ahead.

Thanks Wolfe,
Trips have been cancelled before due to weather. They can be re arranged for another date or relocated to a more suitable area.
Remember the Trip Leader is responsible.

p.s. Don't forget to do a trip register!!!& hand it in next meeting.

Hunno

Negdriver
08-02-12, 07:00 PM
Hi all,

After checking the weather bureau I've decided to cancel this trip for my safety and everyone else's. The downpour this afternoon made up my mind to can it. Also, it wouldn't be good to lead a trip for the 1st time in poor conditions.
I've also been notified by my work colleagues working up in the bluey that the tracks are very very poor. (shit everywhere was the term they used)

This also gives me the chance to check my MAP and O2 sensors.

Could an admin please change the heading of this trip to cancelled.

Thanks,
Tim Tam.

Wolfe
08-02-12, 08:24 PM
Thanks Tim I think you made a good decision.

SKIZZI
08-02-12, 08:45 PM
Good decision. Hopefully march isn't so wet and we can do a couple of trips. Seems like months since we last got In low range.

jeep_jk112
08-02-12, 10:00 PM
Seems the weather is on my side haha! i snapped my front recovery point on a rock the other and haven't sourced a replacement as of yet. so it looked like i wasn't going to make this trip anyway.

memfis
08-02-12, 11:19 PM
i mite as well go and get a proper wheel alignment on Saturday now as i just put a 41/2 lift and my steering wheel is at a 45deg angle
then i will put the spartan auto locker in and i will be ready for next time 1294

up2nogood
09-02-12, 01:48 AM
Driving lights for me, and some front mud flaps then. I'll try to save what little paint is left on my rear door hinges and stop the boss getting the sh*ts when she has to open the door with the handle covered in mud......

reyzor
09-02-12, 09:01 AM
seems liek a good weekend to do some maintanance on the cars..... new bushes for the jeep (if i can be bothered), hopefully get a reversing camera too and hook that up..... and grease all my nipples............

reyzor
09-02-12, 09:01 AM
seems liek a good weekend to do some maintanance on the cars..... new bushes for the jeep (if i can be bothered), hopefully get a reversing camera too and hook that up..... and grease all my nipples............

SKIZZI
09-02-12, 05:17 PM

Yea a reverse camera... Just when I though I was "finished"

Nekked
10-02-12, 01:17 PM
The sun is out, does it mean it's still cancelled?

DLE068
10-02-12, 02:15 PM
Count me out unfortunately. Really sick of driving on the black stuff.

Steve F
10-02-12, 03:20 PM
The sun is out, does it mean it's still cancelled?

With the amount of rain there was out there on Thursday night I'd say it's still cancelled :(

Cheers
Steve

Negdriver
10-02-12, 07:22 PM
Apparently there is going to be some serious thunder storms tonight with heavy rain. Even though the sun has been shining for the last 8 hours, It's still cancelled. :(

I also have to some maintenance to my XJ now. WRENCHING DAY!!!! Just need to find some cover from the rain.

jeep_jk112
11-02-12, 04:29 PM
just got a message from a bloke who lives up hazelbrook, he said a massive thunderstorm went through there around lunch time, they copped the works!!!
Jeez! we haven't had a break since christmas, with all this rain and storms...