PDA

View Full Version : Vibration issue when Jeep slowing down

VIN18U
04-01-12, 04:49 PM
hey guys,

starting to drive my jeep again and this week its developed a strong vibration then bounce when the car is slowing down by itself in gear, it happens with and without the brakes on.

it happens at difference speeds and gears, ive tried it in 1st to 4th gear from 10kph to 80kph. when i first let my foot off the accerlator it starts with a vibration throughout the car and as the speed drops it gets stronger and stronger then turns into a bounce in the front end. yesturday morning the bounce was in the car for 1st and 2nd gear when taking off from a cold start but didnt happen the rest of the day and this morning but was happening all yesturday and still now when slowing down.

any ideas?

Steve F
04-01-12, 05:22 PM
I'd be looking at the unis to start with, could be damaged and binding when loaded in the opposite direction to normal (slowing rather than under load)

Cheers
Steve

stevet
04-01-12, 07:01 PM
What control arm's are you running?? Had something alike same as you, then began to "track" on the road with every little bump........... just another possibilty/possible cause of same............. Stephen. ........... It was in the TJ by the way...........

coops
04-01-12, 09:07 PM
Who cares about the vibration show us pictures of the finished cage :)

And as for the vibration, what steve sqaured siad :)

Sent from my GT-P7300 using Tapatalk

VIN18U
05-01-12, 11:26 AM
cage not done yet, going to get stuck into it at the end of this month, got a few more plans to do at the same time now...

im running RE short arms which i havent had a chance to check but i have greased my axle unis which were bone dry, havent had a chance to check other unis/joints so will do this on the weekend. my control arms are due for a grease

this morning i heard a squealing noise which stopped when i put the clutch in, when i put the clutch in the vibration stops also (still in gear) so im leaning towards a worn clucth and bearings???

stevet
05-01-12, 03:47 PM
Gee Vinnie,
Make it easy sort off, seems like "one of Those issue's". You find out sooner than later, oneway or another....... Me,- Had gen.1 Terra-flex short arms, since improved of course.....Changed to RE short arms, lower one's......... Limo drive, well felt like it compared to what it had been...............Lol...........

reyzor
05-01-12, 04:04 PM
wouldnt a squelling sound be more likely to be a belt?

i was always under the impression that bearings made a grumbling sound?

Wooders
06-01-12, 12:00 AM
Sounds like the throw out bearing is dying sorry vinnie.

VIN18U
09-01-12, 02:13 PM
what does this mean Dave?

the squelling now is on everytime i apply the accelerator so thinking its a belt? but the vibrating is what im most concerned about. i sometimes feel it now when the car is in netural???

VIN18U
25-01-12, 11:30 AM
Hi All,

just giving an update incase anyone else is experiencing the same issues i had with my jeep, thanks to the advice above i replaced all uni joints in both front and rear shafts, grease axle joints and now the jeep is running smooth again. no more vibrations and squeling

thanks again to all.

ill start now stripping the jeep for the cage and a few other mods ive got planned so will probably start up a build thread soon

stevet
25-01-12, 01:08 PM
[QUOTE=VIN18U;30748]
What did you say Vinnie.........Lol........,
Had a vibration issue off/on then more on than often, had the power steering box rebuilt in the ZJ,--- Turned out to be the trackbar to chasis/body mount, x3 bolt's under the right front guard, tightened them up, no vibrations at all, 6 months later, same again and same fix...........x3rd time, got a new trackbar to chasis/body bracket + 3 new bolt's, problem never again returned............ Maybe worth a look at.................. I had already attended to all tierod, bush's etc prior to same happening........ttheni

up2nogood
30-01-12, 11:40 AM
Throwout bearing is what runs on your clutch pressure plate to 'disengage' the pressure from the pressure plate holding the clutch plate to the flywheel, which happens when you push your clutch pedal down.

One issue sounds like driveline, the other sounds like clutch. You might have been dealt a double whammy. Note that a squealing belt usually sounds a lot different to a worn throwout bearing. Bearing noise can be a constant, although should change pitch with the clutch depressed or not. Crawl under and have a listen, the noise should be able to be pinpointed.
Check the unis for play, get a big screwdriver and see if there's any movement when you move them.
Do same with suspension, check for fresh rust caused by loose bolts as a bit of a giveaway.