PDA

View Full Version : oil leaking out rear diff breather

snoik
05-02-12, 10:39 AM
G'day All,

Has anyone had issues of oil being pumped out the diff breathers, I had fitted ARB diff covers to both diffs, and more recently fitted an ARB air locker to the rear diff, since then I've had oil being pumped out the breather,and making a mess everywhere, so I purchased a Billet Race Craft breather kit and relocated all breathers(both diffs,gearbox) to beside the radiator.

Still the rear diff is pumping oil out the breather in the new location and over the engine, making another mess, and a lot of smoke.

Yesterday the rear diff started making a lot of noise, and there wouldn't even be 100k's on it yet. I have to contact the people who installed the air locker on Monday, and give them the bad news, maybe they are doing something wrong with the inastllation.

Any idea's

Steve F
05-02-12, 10:53 AM
ARB diff covers have a higher fill level so if they are overfilled oil can be pushed out the breather. There is also a potential issue where the locker allowed the oil to flow into the diff tube and not back, this filled the tube and the oil got pumped out the breather but it also meant the gears and bearings didn't get lubricated and eventually the diff will seize. Get it looked at ASAP but if it's making noise then I'd say it may be too late and the bearings have suffered due to lack of oil :(

Cheers
Steve

snoik
06-02-12, 07:16 AM
If the diff was over filled, wouldn't you think it would just leak oil until it found it's correct level and stop, not empty the diff out, although the diff was very hot,there must have been a lot of pressure to pump the oil all the way tp the front of the vehicle, maybe the installer has just made a mistake when setting it up.

Steve F
06-02-12, 08:24 AM
If the diff was over filled, wouldn't you think it would just leak oil until it found it's correct level and stop, not empty the diff out, although the diff was very hot,there must have been a lot of pressure to pump the oil all the way tp the front of the vehicle, maybe the installer has just made a mistake when setting it up.

When I say potential issue it was a problem with the lockers/install that caused them to not allow the oil to return out of the axle tube, it's a known problem. It will empty the diff out, we had one club member loose all the oil and the diff seize on the freeway.

Cheers
Steve

arb87u
06-02-12, 12:55 PM
The instructions for the D44 installation make it very clear that the oil tubes in the diff need to be enlarged, if this was not done you will essentially pump out all the oil and diff go boom.

snoik
06-02-12, 01:56 PM
even before the locker had been fitted and only the arb diff covers had been, it still leaked out the breather tube, is there an issue with the covers, they are a different shape to the original units, maybe they are slightly smaller and don't allow the correct oill quantity to be in the diff, I've really only had the leaking issue since these were fitted

snoik
06-02-12, 01:58 PM
surely arb have it right with the shape and size of the covers, I'm just clutching at straws, whatever the issue is I,ve got a noisy diff

stevet
06-02-12, 02:38 PM
Donn't mention the first issue, but simply go back and GET THEM to repair the diff AT their cost = Their stuff-up....................

Steve F
06-02-12, 03:28 PM
surely arb have it right with the shape and size of the covers, I'm just clutching at straws, whatever the issue is I,ve got a noisy diff

There are two issues here, (Issue One) ARB covers allow more oil in the diff and will cause leaking out the breather. (Issue Two) Modifications need to be done to the diff when the ARB locker is fitted, if not it will pump ALL the oil out the breather.

Just take it back and get it fixed before its totally stuffed.

Cheers
Steve

snoik
06-02-12, 05:50 PM
do you know what the modification is that needs done on the D44 diff, I have spoken to the guy who installed the locker and he says there is no mention of modifying the diff in the installation instructions.
don't want to make the same mistake twice.

cheers
Andrew

snoik
06-02-12, 06:30 PM
I just googled installing arb air locker into D44, and it definately shows a modification that needs to be done on the oil return out of the axle tubes, maybe the installer overlooked this step.

anyone know of anything else that should be changed to prevent this happening again.

anyway, my TJ is being picked up Wednesday.

Thanks

Andrew

rupicon
12-02-12, 05:53 PM
the diff covers have instructions on how to mark the oil level on the dipstick if you fill them to the fill hole you will have oil coming out all over the place

snoik
09-04-12, 01:08 PM
Hi All,

Having diff problems again, I got the TJ back from their last attempt, done approx 1300k's and the pinion shaft is squealing, I checked the oil level, all OK, but when you grab the yoke it moves up/down about 2 mm, I have contacted the installer again and spoke to the mechanic last Thursday as the owner wasn't there, they must be doing something wrong with the installation.