PDA

View Full Version : new jeep owner need someone to answer a few questions for me

Ike
07-06-05, 05:03 PM
Hi im a new jeep owner and i don't know much about them but i would love to learn and really want to raise my jeep but am having trouble knowing what exactly i need.
If some one could help me that'll be great email me at ike_eki@hotmail.com
Thank you Andrew

Cpage66
07-06-05, 06:07 PM
Hi Ike,
We need a little bit more information from you such as model of your Jeep and where are you located?
The Sydney Jeep Club meets the first Wednesday of every month at Suburban ARB in Minchinbury...tag along and say "Hi"... :lol:

Mildue
07-06-05, 06:22 PM
Goin by what u want in the 'Wanted' forum u have a TJ Wrangler... I'll leave this to the TJ boys in the club...

Ike
10-06-05, 04:16 PM
I have a 2000 model TJ Wrangler

AussieCJ7
10-06-05, 08:10 PM
I would recommend that you hold off on any lifts etc until you are more familar with your Jeep

A lift will increase its capability but also has some comprimises, if you rush in you will end up spending money twice or more

Come join the club, come out on a few trips do some driver training etc get you know your Jeep then it will be very clear which lift you want and what else is involved

I know it is hard to see all the big jeeps and want one but trust me a little more time now means you will end up with a better jeep quicker than if you have to swap things out as they dont work with the rest of the jeep in the way you would like

Ike
11-06-05, 09:35 AM
Thank you, so what time do you meet at ARB? I really want to come along

sir_camel
11-06-05, 12:18 PM
Thank you, so what time do you meet at ARB? I really want to come along

First Wed of the Month, next meeting being Wed 6th July. Grex Ave Minchinbury. Can't miss all the Jeeps.

edit:

SC I edited your typo to save confusion the meetings are wed not monday

Wooders
12-06-05, 09:13 PM
Yup club meeting is a good start...
But before you start thinking lift thtere are a few more important questions you need to consider:
1. What size tyres do you unltimately want to run?
2. What's you budget liuke?
3. How much are you prepared to DIY? (more DIY +ore $$ for mods)
4. What your end intended purps of the vehicle....

These 4 questions will help direct tyou toward a better solution.

Ike
14-06-05, 11:39 AM
Well i have 31x10.5 at the moment. I have 33x12.5 Kumho Venture but have not put them on yet main reason being they do not fit, which is why i want to raise the car. my budget is around $1300.
I don't really want to have the best 4wd going around, jsut something that sits high and looks good but also does more then a stock jeep.

BenC
14-06-05, 02:27 PM
I'll echo what the others have already said, drop in on our next meeting, have a look at the different Jeeps that are there and talk to the owners to see their suggestions.

Before you actually purchase anything suggested to you, you really should go out on a few club trips, see how your vehicles drives, see how other people's vehicles drive, and work out what you'd like your vehicle to be able to do. This will give you a good starting idea for when it comes time to talk to a shop.

When you do go to a shop to ask for pricing, make sure you do your research and see what's available. Some shops are more expensive than others, and some will give you different advice than others. The more information you have yourself, the easier it will be to make a decision that is right for you.

Again, as others have said, don't go jumping in and making modifications before you know what you really want. This will save you spending money twice, or three times instead of just once.

Hope this helps.

Ike
16-06-05, 09:26 PM
I really want to come along to Menai, but ive looked at the pictures from when you guys went and it doesnt look like my car would make it through? Would a stock Wrangler go through alright?

AussieCJ7
17-06-05, 11:46 AM
I really want to come along to Menai, but ive looked at the pictures from when you guys went and it doesnt look like my car would make it through? Would a stock Wrangler go through alright?

Menai is great as it has by pass tracks for most stuff and caters to all levels

I often have my 23yo CJ on 31's and a 4cyl engine out there and make it through fine.

Your TJ on 31's wll take you many spots that will surprise a lot of people if you drive it carefully

Remember it is physically possible to complete the Rubicon trail on 31's in a TJ, just takes more skill.

Ike
18-06-05, 09:32 AM
sweet sweet cant wait. the only 4wd ive done before was boat harbour.
hopefully you guys can teach me a thing or two.

Ike
22-06-05, 05:55 PM
4" kit includes: Front coil springs, rear coil springs, front and rear lower control arms, front and rear track bar brackets, transfer case lowering kit, front and rear extended sway bar links, brake line brackets, drop pitman arm, pinion angle cam bolts, four shocks with black shock boots

Ive done a bit of research and found this for a pretty good price. Is that everything i need for a 4" Lift?

sir_camel
22-06-05, 06:21 PM
4" kit includes: Front coil springs, rear coil springs, front and rear lower control arms, front and rear track bar brackets, transfer case lowering kit, front and rear extended sway bar links, brake line brackets, drop pitman arm, pinion angle cam bolts, four shocks with black shock boots

Ive done a bit of research and found this for a pretty good price. Is that everything i need for a 4" Lift?

You will need a Slip Yoke Eliminator and a new Rear Driveshaft to do this kit properly. Lets say add 1700 in parts plus labour. Seriously mate, drive ya Jeep stock for a while and see what you want anbd go from there. Everyone is into big lifts straight up these days. I drove mine with 31's being only mod for a year.

Wooders
01-07-05, 01:20 PM
Ditto the enjoy it stock first......Jezz Boatharbour is hardly warming up hirange.....wheel thge snot out of her for a while then you'll get to appreciate your mods more.....

Wolfe
02-07-05, 12:14 PM
Got to agree with whats been said. You really need to play around first with it stock then talk to lots of people about what works. Do plenty of research :)