PDA

View Full Version : Pros & cons of new JK

SteveC
23-02-12, 04:16 PM
Any one got opinions on the new '12 Pentastar v6 V the existing Diesel?

I'm particularly interested in the 4 door Auto and would like to know what people are getting in the fuel economy among other things

Thanks

Rhino
24-02-12, 09:40 AM
Any one got opinions on the new '12 Pentastar v6 V the existing Diesel?

I'm particularly interested in the 4 door Auto and would like to know what people are getting in the fuel economy among other things

Thanks

Gday Steve,

I just picked up a 2012 Rubicon last week. i've only had the car a week,but fuel economy is quite thirsty... about 15-16L per 100kms..

cheers

Rhino

SteveC
24-02-12, 05:37 PM
That seems high. My v8 is abt <13 hwy. 17 city
I believe they get better than that over time
What are other older jk owners getting?
Tossing ip between petrol. Diesel

Dieselcon
24-02-12, 05:54 PM
The rubi motor probably still abit tight. Read on ajor similar figures then after 5000km economy improved to 10's

reyzor
24-02-12, 06:22 PM
My 07 rubi with 37's gets about 14/ 100 in the city.

TRBN8R
24-02-12, 06:41 PM
May 2008 build, Jan 2009 Compliace plate JK Unnltd, Petrol Auto, 2.5 inch lift, 33 Inch Muddies, Superchips 87 octane tuning and tyre diameter correction, Mopar Bull Bar, AEV Snorkel.... 15 Ltr/100 in city... 12.5Ltr/100 Flat Highway ...... 14 Ltr/100 On way to Lithgow..... 11 Ltr/100 coming down from Lithgow.........

Repair till date.... Front Uni Joints, Front diff seals....... NO other problems at all......

reyzor
26-02-12, 11:38 AM
my repairs are a bit higher than mani's.... not trying to put you off, but jsut to show you the "other side of it"

new gearbox, new power steering pump, drivers side seatbelt had to be replaced, now water pump is leaking, awaiting new clock spring also..

i know hunty has been through a few motors too......

Rhino
26-02-12, 01:22 PM
The rubi motor probably still abit tight. Read on ajor similar figures then after 5000km economy improved to 10's

Actually the first week figures were worse, filled up last night.... 69litres = 365kms. By My calculations that's 18.93 liters / 100kms.

I was very surprised by this, however I have had A/C on pretty much constantly when driving!

Its certainly encouraging to see that these figures come down substantially after being run in. The 10% fuel efficiency improvement was certainly a major selling point for the pentastar engine... Along with the increase in power!!

Rhino

SteveC
26-02-12, 03:32 PM
Rhino
What grade fuel are you using? at nearly 19l, I'd be questioning that as I assume it's "standard".

With higher fuel costs on the horizon, I'd only be looking at it if they are close to the advertised figures else a 2011 diesel, which are hard to come by.

Perhaps it will improve over time...

aussiejk
26-02-12, 04:21 PM
friend of mine has a 4 door auto diesel she gets 12lper100 around town she has 285/75/17 mud tyres and 2inch lift AEV bullbar and snorkel

AussieCJ7
26-02-12, 09:50 PM
if you assume Diesel is 3c/L more expensive, that a diesel saves you 4L/100Klm and the addition purchase price of a diesel car is $5000 then your buy back range is just a shade under 100,000Klms and this assumes the service price is equal which is not a true. 4wd monthly recently did a review and had the buy back many more Klms.

Many argue that diesels have a higher resale value that offsets it and that was true but as more and more petrol choices are taken away from the buying public you will find that resale value will evaporate

Buying a diesel for purely fuel economy reasons is a false economy that so many of the Australia public have been caught up in lately

If your buying for outback touring or for the great low range torque off road great but dont get suckered in just for economy reasons

Rhino
26-02-12, 09:58 PM
Rhino
What grade fuel are you using? at nearly 19l, I'd be questioning that as I assume it's "standard".

With higher fuel costs on the horizon, I'd only be looking at it if they are close to the advertised figures else a 2011 diesel, which are hard to come by.

Perhaps it will improve over time...

Who knows what fuel the stealer put in. It was "full" when I picked it up. I've now tried Caltex this week so should be interesting to see how it goes ..

Oh yeah, completely stock at the moment!'

TRBN8R
27-02-12, 08:28 AM
Who knows what fuel the stealer put in. It was "full" when I picked it up. I've now tried Caltex this week so should be interesting to see how it goes ..

Oh yeah, completely stock at the moment!'

Mine started close to 18l/100 and kept slowly improving.... about 5000k mark it suddenly went down to about 14l/100 in city and the engine started running very freely..... Then I lifted it and put bigger tyres etc on it and it went down a bit.... Now with about 63000ks its settled at 15l/100 in city......