PDA

View Full Version : Mt Airley, Capertee Sunday 22nd April 2012

TRBN8R
01-04-12, 11:21 AM
Mt Airlea Sunday 22/04/2012....

When: 22/04/2012

The views at this property are spectacular so if u have a soft top, put it on ur Jeep so u can lower it and enjoy the scenery once at the property.

This property is about 155ks from Blacktown and about 50ks from Lithgow. It takes about 2.5-3 hrs to get to the property from Richmond. The track is about 7.5 ks one way so about 15ks return. It takes about 5 Hrs to go up and come back to the main road. From Richmond it is about 11 Hrs return trip if there are no hiccups. Add another couple of hours to cover contingencies. There are no chicken tracks around the hard bits.

Please specify which RV Point u r gonna meet up at.

RV Point 1: Richmond Mc Donalds 0730 Hrs Depart for Lithgow by 0745 Hrs.....

RV Point 2: Lithgow Mc Donalds 0900 Hrs

Grade: C+ / B-

Numbers: 8 including leader with 2 reserves

Minimum Requirements: 2 inch lift, atleast 31inch aggressive AT or MT tyres (Road tyres can come back with sidewall damage), This track is best suitable for cars with live axles TJs, JKs, XJs and the like.... Independant suspensions will need lockers or we will have to snatch a lot as there are no chicken tracks. CB radio, Recovery points, Recovery gear, Kids, Boyfriend/Girlfriend/Any friend, Camera, Food/Drinks of choice.

Further info contact -Mani 0405801230

1. Mani @ Trbn8r @ Richmond McDonald's
2. Geoff @ Miraz
3. Greg @ GregD
4. Jason @ JBrafd
5. Dave @ DK
6. Steve @ 5teve

Reserves

Cheers
Mani

TRBN8R
01-04-12, 11:22 AM
Can the moderators pls change the date in the title to Sunday 22nd April 2012 instead of 25th.....

jeep_jk112
01-04-12, 01:11 PM
In thanks mani

Hunno
01-04-12, 01:44 PM
Hunno is in!!!!!
Yaaaaaaaaaa

Lest We Forget :loyal:

Miraz
01-04-12, 04:33 PM
Add me to the list....

aussiejk
01-04-12, 04:54 PM
Finally a Sunday trip put me down I'll be there if a haven't sold jeep by then

jeep_jk112
01-04-12, 05:20 PM
Finally a Sunday trip put me down I'll be there if a haven't sold jeep by then
I'm the same, stuck working most saturdays :(

Hunno
01-04-12, 06:00 PM
Hunno is in!!!!!
Yaaaaaaaaaa

Lest We Forget :loyal:

Even thou you changed the date I'm still in.

Hunno

Wolfe
01-04-12, 07:28 PM
Yes please

Wolfe
01-04-12, 07:30 PM
There is also the Airlie grotto which I wouldn't mind seeing.

jeep_jk112
01-04-12, 07:39 PM
wait you guys haven't been in there yet???
Its amazing!!!!!
I don't see everyone climbing down the ladder (half the fun) but there is a back entrance which isn't as hairy

aussiejk
01-04-12, 08:35 PM
wait you guys haven't been in there yet???
Its amazing!!!!!
I don't see everyone climbing down the ladder (half the fun) but there is a back entrance which isn't as hairy

climbing the ladder is so fun and yes its breath taking

Greg D
01-04-12, 09:32 PM
Mani, Please count me in for this, meeting at Richmond. Greg

Dieselcon
01-04-12, 09:46 PM
Count kiwi Kev in... And jose as navigator. :)

SteveC
02-04-12, 09:35 AM
Reserve please

jbrad
02-04-12, 11:24 PM
Please put me on the reserve list, loved that place. But looks like I may be a bit late. Jason

D.K.
03-04-12, 07:24 AM
Can you put me on the reserve for the reserve list?

aussiejk
10-04-12, 05:13 AM
I'm out no longer the owner of a jeep for now will be buying another one latter this year...

SteveC
10-04-12, 02:23 PM
Take me off reserve mani. Too far and better suited for more mod jeep

TRBN8R
11-04-12, 10:05 PM
What the heck..... Expanded the capacity to 10 :smile-new:.... Every one who posted till now is on the trip with one vacancy.....

5teve
11-04-12, 10:24 PM
yes please
thanks mani

D.K.
13-04-12, 12:01 PM
I was over on the Australian Landrover forum the other day and somebody was commenting that Col was raging over the irresponsible people that have driven the track during the wet. Given that he is no longer the custodian for the track i dont know what the go is, but you can bet NPWS will be closing in soon.

I did comment on this forum a short while ago about the boggy conditions in the "jurrassic park" section of the track. It might be an idea to find more concrete information on the status of Mt Airlie.

There is no doubt in my mind that 4wd Actions " best kept secret in NSW" article to sell a few more magazines has resulted in the irresponsible element of four wheel drivers trashing this track. You only have to see the gate torn down at the end of the track to get the picture.

Wolfe
13-04-12, 03:00 PM
I was over on the Australian Landrover forum the other day and somebody was commenting that Col was raging over the irresponsible people that have driven the track during the wet. Given that he is no longer the custodian for the track i dont know what the go is, but you can bet NPWS will be closing in soon.

I did comment on this forum a short while ago about the boggy conditions in the "jurrassic park" section of the track. It might be an idea to find more concrete information on the status of Mt Airlie.

There is no doubt in my mind that 4wd Actions " best kept secret in NSW" article to sell a few more magazines has resulted in the irresponsible element of four wheel drivers trashing this track. You only have to see the gate torn down at the end of the track to get the picture.
Dam shame, but bound to happen.

aussiejk
13-04-12, 03:21 PM
That's bad news.. Looks like another track will bite the dust soon and become another unvisited place of our lovely country

jeep_jk112
13-04-12, 04:44 PM
Yeh its a great shame....... we (me and other guys i wheel with) have avoided the place for months, because of how much water the place has had. I noticed from a post on 4wd action the landy guys shared the same sentiment as me without actually pointing the blame at 4wd action openly, so i did! and we all agreed.
There is now a bog hole (twin locked cars with 35's were getting stuck) that never used to exist with tracks cut through pristine bush to go around it.....
I agree these places need to be gated to keep the majority who ruin these places out, but clubs that have shown they care and respect the bush should get access to all these "locked up" areas
It was one track 4x4 earth went to great lengths to keep off their site......
It was a place you found out through friends and aquaintences whom you judged weren't complete idiots who would not destroy the place!

jeep_jk112
13-04-12, 04:57 PM
Its still "open" as far as i'm aware???
I remember stumbling across a copy of an email from the top ranger for the area, stating his intentions to install a "controlled access gate" there at some stage and that more detail would be released in the draft management plan, they were drawing up for the place....
I thought i would pm heidi the other day and ask her about the gates going up, as she seems fairly in the know with whats going on with nat parks up that way...
Here is heidi's reply (hope you don't mind)

The draft plan has not been released yet. We are trying very hard to keep it open with controlled access (you will get a key or the combination from the Blackheath NP office when it goes ahead)
Unfortunately the top gate has been broken that protects a rare plant - this makes it hard to say that controlled access works, so there may be a push to close it all off again.
The other issue will be if the mines need to have it graded to access monitoring points as that will change the track dramitcally as well.

I thank heidi (and who ever else is involved) for trying to keep this place open for the responsible 4wd community!

Cheers
Matt

TRBN8R
13-04-12, 07:58 PM
It is raining next weekend up at Capertee and Lithgow as per http://www.accuweather.com/en/au/excelsior/1073674/daily-weather-forecast/1073674?day=6 ..... Will see closer to the weekend how it goes... If it is bad will cancel the trip.....

Rhino
14-04-12, 01:15 PM
I'm up there on Saturday with triple diamond 4wd club, we have limited our trip to 6 cars. If the track is trashed or closed I will post a reply here. The trip leader is president of NSW lands, so Craig will make the call..
Cheers

Rhino.
(really trying to get to a SJC meeting next meeting as I've been lurking here for a couple of months and haven't met everybody proper yet)

Wolfe
14-04-12, 02:03 PM
Thanks Rhino very helpful info

TRBN8R
16-04-12, 10:19 PM
Guys the coming weekend forecast looks very dodgy for Lithgow and Central Tablelands area.... Keep checking the thread till the last day..... Trip can and will be cancelled according to "The Tread Lightly Policy" if the weather conditions are not suitable....

Also Thanks Rhino for ur help... Will look for your post.... Also u can call or sms me on 0405801230.... If it goes to answering machine means I am at work....

Cheers

Mani

Rhino
17-04-12, 08:45 AM
Guys the coming weekend forecast looks very dodgy for Lithgow and Central Tablelands area.... Keep checking the thread till the last day..... Trip can and will be cancelled according to "The Tread Lightly Policy" if the weather conditions are not suitable....

Also Thanks Rhino for ur help... Will look for your post.... Also u can call or sms me on 0405801230.... If it goes to answering machine means I am at work....

Cheers

Mani

Will do Mani,

At this stage we are almost certain to cancel the Mt Airley trip, However our club will have 22 cars camping at Turon River that weekend. There were plans for an easy weekend wheeling for 18 cars in and around the area and 6 of us were making the trip upto Mt Airley (many more than this becomes unworkable for that track)

The 6 of us who were doing Mt Airley will instead have a look at the Spanish steps / zig zag area...

Ive sent you a text with my numbers and ill certainly send you an update on sat afternoon of what the area is doing..

Rhino

Hunno
17-04-12, 02:13 PM
I'm out.

Due to no drive shafts again. :(

stevet
17-04-12, 04:32 PM
I'm out.

Due to no drive shafts again. :(
Still got the one from mine Hunno if it's any use...............

jeep_jk112
17-04-12, 04:36 PM
Seems those blokes from the land rover club, are keen on getting up there and doing some maintenance on that track.
I beleive its something our club members should get on board with also..........
Its a beautiful place and anything we as a club can do to help keep access for our members, should be looked into???
As i'm new to 4wd clubs and the like, i would have no idea of how to set up anything like this, who to talk to etc etc....
So i'm just thinking aloud as an individual...

Cheers
Matt

Hunno
17-04-12, 07:44 PM
Still got the one from mine Hunno if it's any use...............

Thanks for the offer Stephen but I need a custom lenght as the wheel base has changed with the new diffs.

Seems those blokes from the land rover club, are keen on getting up there and doing some maintenance on that track.
I beleive its something our club members should get on board with also..........
Its a beautiful place and anything we as a club can do to help keep access for our members, should be looked into???
As i'm new to 4wd clubs and the like, i would have no idea of how to set up anything like this, who to talk to etc etc....
So i'm just thinking aloud as an individual...

Cheers
Matt

Matt,
you don't need any idea just the willingness to have a go. Others will guide & help.
However Jambo will fill the next 6 months or so for myself & few others I'm guessing.

jeep_jk112
18-04-12, 10:06 PM
Well the bait has been thrown out there..........
No point trying to represent a club, if no other members want to help out!
Wouldn't it be a shame if this track was to be locked up and we couldn't gain access on jambo weekend?
Can't hurt showing col and national parks we have been up there to try and rectify some of the damage caused by a few irresponsible 4wder's .......\
can't hurt sjc looking into setting up an adopt a track system, similar to what lroc has with the private land owner down dingo dell....
It is our backyard after all!
IMO this is the best place to wheel in nsw and i would like to try as much as humanly possible to keep access for our club
We have lost to many places to wheel already!
Heck i'd even walk it if (god forbid) it is only allowed for walkers in the future...
I realise some members are tied up with jambo, but not everyone...........

Cheers
Matt

Rhino
19-04-12, 08:19 AM
Well the bait has been thrown out there..........
No point trying to represent a club, if no other members want to help out!
Wouldn't it be a shame if this track was to be locked up and we couldn't gain access on jambo weekend?
Can't hurt showing col and national parks we have been up there to try and rectify some of the damage caused by a few irresponsible 4wder's .......\
can't hurt sjc looking into setting up an adopt a track system, similar to what lroc has with the private land owner down dingo dell....
It is our backyard after all!
IMO this is the best place to wheel in nsw and i would like to try as much as humanly possible to keep access for our club
We have lost to many places to wheel already!
Heck i'd even walk it if (god forbid) it is only allowed for walkers in the future...
I realise some members are tied up with jambo, but not everyone...........

Cheers
Matt

Matt,

Im looking into this with my other club (Triple Diamond). We are very fortunate that our association delegate is also the vice president of NSW Lands. I have put my hand up with both Craig and Steve Armarn (Club President) to arrange for track maintenance days leading to use of gated trails...

As you are aware that the wheels move very slow trying to get an idea off the ground like this, However once some firmer news is known ill certainly post the details. Nonetheless if you are able to arrange something let me know as im always keen to help out and gain access to closed tracks..

Rhino

jeep_jk112
19-04-12, 04:43 PM
Matt,

Im looking into this with my other club (Triple Diamond). We are very fortunate that our association delegate is also the vice president of NSW Lands. I have put my hand up with both Craig and Steve Armarn (Club President) to arrange for track maintenance days leading to use of gated trails...

As you are aware that the wheels move very slow trying to get an idea off the ground like this, However once some firmer news is known ill certainly post the details. Nonetheless if you are able to arrange something let me know as im always keen to help out and gain access to closed tracks..

Rhino

Let them know atleast one jeep club member is willing to lend a hand.......
Have plenty of hand tools, even a big roll of geofab i can nick from work if needed lol.
Can get ahold of start pickets from time to time, for erosion barriers if thats whats required???
Yeh if you could keep us in the loop mate that would be great!
I singed up to the association site whichs takes a few days, just to find out i signed up to the old site:hopelessness:
So when i get access to the new one, i'll start looking around and asking questions.....

Sadly (for me) i have just got the call i'm stuck doing night shift fri, sat and sun so no chance of getting up the mountains this weekend....
Thanks anyway mani.

Cheers
Matt

Dieselcon
20-04-12, 07:01 PM
Sorry guys Kev an I are out..... My knee and kev's jeep not ready.

Wolfe
21-04-12, 08:21 AM
I am unable to attend due to a family commitment. Sorry

TRBN8R
21-04-12, 05:55 PM
HI guys,

Due to recent heavy rains and controversy around Mt Airly track I am thinking of running a Lake Lyle trip tomorrow.... What are your thoughts.... I am planning to do the Quarry, Powerlines climb, Cox's River Crossing, Hunty's Bog hole, Three Sisters, Big climb after Three Sisters. Will take roughly 5 hours in the bush.....

What are your thoughts on this proposal...

Mani

SteveC
21-04-12, 06:08 PM
Mani
I'm still running the Garden of Stone and will have just 5 vehicles. So as we are meeting at the same time roughly, then you can decide which way to go. The Garden of Stone also connects to the Pinnacles track which I hope to do in a few weeks, depending on weather and access etc

TRBN8R
21-04-12, 06:17 PM
No Worries Steve,
Will decide tomorrow at the meccas what to do.....

Steve F
21-04-12, 06:19 PM
I'd give that boghole a miss if it's the one I'm thinking of, sure go down and have a look but the bypass is probably underwater still :( This is assuming you mean the one where you turn off the main track to the right, go down the valley, through the bog hole, hard right and then left and up a long loose climb?

Cheers
Steve

TRBN8R
21-04-12, 06:40 PM
Yup thats the one.. Steve... Will have a look if the bypass is OK will do it otherwise give it a miss... still a long time to Jambo.....

Also if someone has Col's number we can ring him tomorrow morning from lithgow to check the conditions at Capertee.....

jbrad
21-04-12, 06:47 PM
Mani, is Mt Airley deffinitely off? I'm still in for a drive, but was going to meet at Maccas Lithgow. If it is deffinitely not happening, I'd best meet you all at Richmond.

D.K.
21-04-12, 06:51 PM
Mani, what about doing Sunny Corner, which takes in the Pinnacle FT that Steve C mentioned. There is one good hill climb as well. Could finish the day by doing Baal Bone FT in reverse? I can help with proceedings if you like, i might bail tho if you are heading to Lake Lyall. How come you never drive the top track to the summit of Mt Walker, its not that hard? :smile-new: I know there was a gaggle of vehicles at the intersection with the difficult lower summit track on the last trip out there.

Cheers

Dave K

TRBN8R
21-04-12, 08:02 PM
Sunny corner is agood idea.... Something new and different....... If u r happy to lead we will do it......

JBrad.... Will see you at Lithgow.....

TRBN8R
21-04-12, 08:17 PM
Just got a call from Rhino..... They skipped Mt Airly as well...... Rumor is Col is not letting people thru his property.... Thanks to the idiots wrecking it for every one..... Hopefully he is doing it temporarily till the track dries up a bit....... May be someonewho knows him well can find out the reality.... In the meantime SunnyCorner is confirmed........

5teve
21-04-12, 08:53 PM
hi guys i'll met you at richmond
stefan

Greg D
21-04-12, 11:17 PM
I like the Sunny Corner suggestion. I'll see you at Richmond Maccas.

Greg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

jeep_jk112
22-04-12, 06:44 PM
How was the trip?

TRBN8R
22-04-12, 08:21 PM
It was nice. After the controversy surrounding the problems caused at Mt Airly by some people not related to the club and keeping in mind the recent heavy rains we decided to change the destination to the sunny corner track for an easy relaxing drive... Everyone except Miraz was at Richmond Meccas on time.... We left Meccas at about 0755 Hrs..... Got to lithgow about 0910. Dave @ DK took command of the troops and led us to a nice trip.... About half hour later we got to the starting point, Aired down and Started. It was a nice high range driving going around the bush enjoying the scenery... and about 1115 we came across the longest climb I have ever seen, It was loose rocks and steps and looked very challenging.... We were walking up the track to assess the possible lines of approach when a team of dirt bikes made valiant attempts but failed to finish the climb.... I made a bet with them that a Jeep with 31s can do the climb without any trouble..... They said when we get stuck they will pull us out with their Toymota.... And as always the Jeeps proved them wrong... They sped off without paying me my $1000 of the bet... (Now the tyres will have to wait a bit longer :( )..... We all did the climb without any problem...... We had lunch at the top and continued on.... We came across a few creek crossings and a few smaller climbs... The tracks were perfectly dry and no evidence of rain..... Over all the trip was a fun trip everyone enjoyed and can be used as a nice easy grade trip for Jambo.... We exited the bush near Capertee at about 1445 Hrs.... Aired up at the service station and headed off home by 1500 Hrs.....

Greg D has logged the trip on his Ipad so the data will be available for the Jambo committee......

Attendees for the trip were
1. Mani @ TRBN8R
2. Greg @ GregD
3. Jason @ JBrad
4. Stephan @ 5Teve
5. Dave @ DK

Cheers
Mani

Wolfe
22-04-12, 08:25 PM
It was nice. After the controversy surrounding the problems caused at Mt Airly by some people not related to the club and keeping in mind the recent heavy rains we decided to change the destination to the sunny corner track for an easy relaxing drive... Everyone except Miraz was at Richmond Meccas on time.... We left Meccas at about 0755 Hrs..... Got to lithgow about 0910. Dave @ DK took command of the troops and led us to a nice trip.... About half hour later we got to the starting point, Aired down and Started. It was a nice high range driving going around the bush enjoying the scenery... and about 1115 we came across the longest climb I have ever seen, It was loose rocks and steps and looked very challenging.... We were walking up the track to assess the possible lines of approach when a team of dirt bikes made valiant attempts but failed to finish the climb.... I made a bet with them that a Jeep with 31s can do the climb without any trouble..... They said when we get stuck they will pull us out with their Toymota.... And as always the Jeeps proved them wrong... They sped off without paying me my $1000 of the bet... (Now the tyres will have to wait a bit longer :( )..... We all did the climb without any problem...... We had lunch at the top and continued on.... We came across a few creek crossings and a few smaller climbs... The tracks were perfectly dry and no evidence of rain..... Over all the trip was a fun trip everyone enjoyed and can be used as a nice easy grade trip for Jambo.... We exited the bush near Capertee at about 1445 Hrs.... Aired up at the service station and headed off home by 1500 Hrs.....

Greg D has logged the trip on his Ipad so the data will be available for the Jambo committee......

Attendees for the trip were
1. Mani @ TRBN8R
2. Greg @ GregD
3. Jason @ JBrad
4. Stephan @ 5Teve
5. Dave @ DK

Cheers
Mani

Sounds good any pics?

TRBN8R
22-04-12, 08:37 PM
Some pics tomorrow but nothing that describe the beauty of the place.....

Miraz
23-04-12, 09:14 AM
Sorry about the no-show, I assumed the trip was off...