PDA

View Full Version : GARDEN OF STONE - Sun 22 April 2012

SteveC
11-04-12, 10:11 AM
As we are approaching the Jambaroree, I've taken to opportunity to run a recce or two. Starting with a easy one through Garden of Stone passing through Bale Bone Gap.

I have not done this trip and not sure if any one else has, but it's basically a test to see if it would be a viable trip to run and to enable me/us to judge the standard and appeal of this area.

All type of Jeeps welcome. From what I have read it should be OK for those even with moderate modifications (A small suspension lift would be advisable though) as long as you have the usual recovery points and recovery gear. From what I read it does have some steep sections and possible water crossings.

It will also be an opportunity for others who missed out on the Mt Airlee Trip held same day and wish a more moderate standard.
This trip will proceed only if weather permitting,

Where -- Garden of Stone . The start is about 13 k from Lithgow. (about 14k from Rydal show ground),

When -- Sunday 22 April 2012, 7.30am for 8am departure

Meet -- Meet -- Richmond Macdonalds

Grade -- "unknown"

Requirements -- recovery points Front/Rear, recovery gear, UHF radio, food/drinks of choice. A camera would be good for reference.

This run is limited to ? vehicles including me..............

As mentioned this is a recce so expect the unexpected, so this will include some exploration of the area to establish suitability and to have a document ready trip for Jamboree

Post up.

Regards
Steve
Ph 0411-853859

1. Stevec Me
2. Bear
3. BigBlue
4. Dle068
5 Steven Boyd

Reserve List
1. Negdriver

Bear
11-04-12, 05:35 PM
We would like to come for a drive with you Steve.

Negdriver
11-04-12, 07:06 PM
Hey Steve,

Please add me to the reserve list. Fingers crossed my XJ is ready by then.
Having problems with the long range fuel tank set-up.

bigblue
11-04-12, 07:26 PM
Hey Steve,

Put me down ... Thanks

DLE068
12-04-12, 06:24 AM
Please put me down for this one. It's of a Sunday, thats a bit better for me as I work most saturdays.

SteveC
13-04-12, 07:42 PM
Hey guys. Where are all those recent members? This is a great opportunity to get a feel of your truck and what the club is all about
Besides need help with getting some tracks ready for jambo. Id like to get feedback from your experience if time permits we can head over to the pinnacles which is a bit harder
Steve

Negdriver
13-04-12, 08:34 PM
Dang it, can you take me off the list please Mani. My jeep is undergoing surgery with the fuel tanks and rock sliders.
Still itching to get out.

Heidi
13-04-12, 09:07 PM
Sorry Steve we can't make it I have a NP meeting that day

Steven.Boyd
13-04-12, 10:54 PM
I attended the April club meeting but have not become a member yet, I am considering this as my first trip as i just brought my 97 TJ at the start of April.

Do i need to be a club member to attend?

I am installing a 2 inch lift this weekend so should that be enough for this trip?

I have not done a lot of off road driving but do have some technical ability. will this be ok ?

Wolfe
13-04-12, 11:54 PM
I attended the April club meeting but have not become a member yet, I am considering this as my first trip as i just brought my 97 TJ at the start of April.

Do i need to be a club member to attend?

I am installing a 2 inch lift this weekend so should that be enough for this trip?

I have not done a lot of off road driving but do have some technical ability. will this be ok ?
You are more than welcome to attend but if the trip is fully subscribed a club member will be given priority

Steven.Boyd
14-04-12, 12:19 AM
I do not have a current paypal account and it will take 3-5 business days to verify my account to send the $75

Is there a way i can pay for my membership any other way ? Credit Card or direct deposit ?

Steven.Boyd
14-04-12, 12:23 AM
I have reactivated my old paypal account. and have made the payment

transaction ID for this payment is: 2DJ49684UF958971D

Can i please add my name to the trip list

SteveC
14-04-12, 11:06 AM
Who edited my first post ? ? ?

Wolfe
14-04-12, 11:29 AM
Who edited my first post ? ? ?I added Steven Boyd

Steven.Boyd
14-04-12, 11:58 AM
Sorry for the silly questions

You mentioned the may be a water crossing, I do not have a snorkel fitted yet. will this be an ok ?

I currently have a ok set of AT tires (half warn) it might just be a little slippery if its wet

I am installing a 2 inch lift this weekend and have got my recovery gear and UHF radio

Looking forward to my first outing.

Is there anything else to know or bring?

Wolfe
14-04-12, 12:40 PM
Just make sure you have a front recovery point in case you get stuck

SteveC
14-04-12, 07:12 PM
Welcome Steven
Should be a good trip. You'll enjoy for sure.

Better if we had other supporters......

Will2003tj
16-04-12, 01:55 PM
Hey Guys,

Id like to come along to this as well but unfortunately have a house party to go to the night before that starts at 4pm...

Ill come if i leave early enough ill reply to the forum on sat night / sun morning, otherwise ill just turn up at richmond maccas at 7.30

My membership has expired but i will be paying this and buying jambo tickets tomorrow...

Cheers, Will

reyzor
16-04-12, 02:10 PM
put me down as a maybe...... gotta see how im going for work etc.....

SteveC
16-04-12, 04:52 PM
put me down as a maybe...... gotta see how im going for work etc.....

Hope you can make it

Steven.Boyd
17-04-12, 11:29 AM
Just looked at the weather forecast for the weekend and it looks like its going to be a little wet.

It may be slippery

you say it has some steep sections, just a little worried with only have AT tires that are half warn

SteveC
17-04-12, 11:49 AM
Lets see how it pans out. Dont worry at this stage
Im going unless its an actual storm. Then we can evaluate the track and make an assessment. This will be a good test as if it happens while at jambo we must be prepared to find alterative "attractions"
I would have thought or rather recommend this process should be adopted with the other trips
Steve

Steven.Boyd
17-04-12, 12:00 PM
I am not that worried, being a little slippery makes it more fun.

It will be a good test for the new lift kit i have put in and good to see what the TJ can do

I noticed there are a few Mc Donald's in richmond. What is the address?

jeep_jk112
17-04-12, 04:20 PM
I'm with you on that steve c, your trip is a bit different to other trips like mt airlie though....
Abit of rain and that place turns to s*&t and its not fun for anyone, (well maybe some may like it who don't give a crap about the place)
So as disapointing as a cancelled trip is, i see the reasoning behind mani being a bit "sketchy" with the weather forecast...
I guess its up to the individual trip leader/s wether they decide to have a back up track in mind for "club trips"
I'm sure it will be something that will be considered at jambo though..

Cheers
Matt

SteveC
17-04-12, 04:57 PM
Matt the issue I have is that we have yet to finalise a contigency plan in the case of bad weather or track closure/inaccessability. Im sure though that its on the agenda for next few weeks. But im starting this weekend. Others could follow suite

Also if Mani suspends his trip. Then ppl r welcome on mine

jeep_jk112
17-04-12, 05:16 PM
We need to find tracks that aren't affected to badly after a small amount of rain, that has already been suggested a few times if i'm not mistaken???
As more tracks a mapped for jambo and the info is gathered, the more we will know.......
Can't build one overnight
I need to learn how to use the tech i have to map tracks and know where i am going, before i can get my backside into gear......

Bear
17-04-12, 11:35 PM
I am not that worried, being a little slippery makes it more fun.

It will be a good test for the new lift kit i have put in and good to see what the TJ can do

I noticed there are a few Mc Donald's in richmond. What is the address?

The Maccas we meet at is in March St Richmond. Right next to the station.

Steven.Boyd
20-04-12, 09:57 AM
Silly question. Should I carry extra fuel on Sunday ?

Bear
20-04-12, 10:14 AM
Silly question. Should I carry extra fuel on Sunday ?

I usually carry a 20lt. jerry can as the 2 door JK only has an 80lt. tank, and there is no provision for fitting a long range tank.

i

SteveC
20-04-12, 11:13 AM
Steven
You can fill up at Lithgow and you will have plenty as it's only a 40k-60k trip, plus Sydney leg.

Steven.Boyd
20-04-12, 11:24 AM
Sweet thanks. Lift kit complete and the tj is ready to go

Will2003tj
21-04-12, 07:18 PM
hey guys, sorry im out exausted from labouring all day, and wont be waking tomorrow early. have fun see you out soon

SteveC
21-04-12, 07:26 PM
No problem Will

bigblue
22-04-12, 08:10 PM
Hi All...
just got home and hosed off the XJ wow talk about mud... Hahaha
Just wanted say a big thanks to Steve and the crew for a great day!!! It had a bit of everything

It was awesome!

Still not sure how that BMW got up there though :)

Thanks again

Drew

Steven.Boyd
22-04-12, 09:17 PM
It was a great day.

Was a great first trip in the TJ

Will post some images tomorrow.

Yes would have like to see where that BMW ended up and the look on their faces when they saw that road down

SteveC
22-04-12, 09:36 PM
Just too tired to write anyth...............,..,
Opps ill write som..... Zzzzxxxx

Maggie
22-04-12, 09:52 PM
Thanks for a great day out Steve, my first time behind the wheel on the trails for a long time and only one descent frightened the bejesus out of me and Reg had to drive it. Straight back behind the wheel and ready for a play in the mud .... was very glad we had the mud tyres on today. Beautiful views, magnificent scenery.

Maggie.

Bear
22-04-12, 10:16 PM
Had a very enjoyable trip today, covered a track that I was not really familiar with.

The trip leader deserves to be commended for the professional manner in which he approached and carried out the whole exercise, from the way he acted as guide, to the attention and assistance he showed to the less experienced members of the team.

Bear.

reyzor
23-04-12, 09:38 AM
sounds like a good day..... spewing i missed it.......

Steven.Boyd
23-04-12, 10:43 AM
A few quick snaps from the day.

Maggi attacking the first climb
Dave on the Descent

Reg coming down with Steve doing the spotting
Bigblue geting a little dirty
Still didn't take the shine of that chrome
Trip leader Steve, the only one requiring a recovery

Big thanks to Steve and the other crew for all the assistance on my first trip,

Hunno
23-04-12, 11:39 AM
A few quick snaps from the day.

Maggi tacking the first climb

I like this shot

Bear
23-04-12, 12:05 PM
That snatch strap will never be the same again. Changed from snow white to brown in a few seconds.

Wolfe
23-04-12, 12:07 PM
Sounds like a great trip and the scenery is beautiful in the photos. Steve is this a trip you could run for jambo and what grade would it be and how long would it take?

SteveC
23-04-12, 12:11 PM
Well what can I say... Who ever did not attend...you missed out on a great day.

For those that did, we had what I can say exceeded out expectations. But then again I did say that we could expect the unexpected.
This track is quite surprising with a variety of tracks, scenery, views and challenges, (love Maggie's driving)
We met at the usual haunt of Maccas Richmond. With a scheduled meeting time of 7.30 and departure of 8am. I thought I'd be safe arriving 7.35am thus avoiding the mandatory trip report. But OH NO... no sooner had I parked the Jeep. Reg came running towards me before I even opened the door to say" You're the last to arrive" .. bugger! It was surprising to see the enthusiasm from those that wanted to attend. I even tried to pass this onto our new comer Steven, telling him this was part of his initiation but I felt guilty and walked away towards an egg & bacon muffin and big coffee.

There were 5 vehicles in our group and I must say it was a pleasure to be wheeling with them and showing them through this wonderful part of the national park, Even took a side trip down to the valley among some of the highest sandstone canyon that I've ever seen. It was worth the diversion (read diversion not wrong turn)

Oh I forgot. On our trip we had Reg & Maggie in their 2 door green Rubicon. Drew and his mate in his blue XJ. Dave in his 2 door black Rubicon. Steven in his bright and immaculate red TJ and me and my mate Bruce in the WJ.

I'll do my best to write down what we encountered (excluding the diversion, I mean.... side trip I mentioned earlier).
We departed (by the way I can't type, so I occasionally walk away from the, PC so the sequence of events could be out of order) around 8am and headed towards Lithgow after which we took a right towards the Mudgee turn off. After about 13 K we took a left opposite the blackfellowes turn off and hit the dirt. We aired down to make life easy on the jeep and it's occupants.
About 250m later we came to out first easy climb challenge. So in Lo we went and we all made it up easily. Steven was excited as this was his first foray in 4wding but he was to find that a walk in the park very soon. No sooner had we finished that, a right turn later and we confronted our first big challenge. Some rock steps mixed with a bit of dirt. I went first. All was good until I began to loose traction about half way up. I backed up and had another go but this time a slightly different line by avoiding the dirt which my left side was in. No sooner had I changed the line and I walked up easily.
This was a good thing, as I was able to get the others up along the same line with out much trouble, Though Steven was having trouble climbing until he yelled out. Oh! I forgot to select 4wd lo! and then he strolled up easily. They're a good thing those TJs. Steven had a new 2" lift and new AT tyres and he went through all of it.
But I must mention Maggies climb. She is one clever, slightly game driver who likes to drive the Jeep like it should be! Excellent and exciting to see. Dave in his rubi also strolled up with the traction control working nicely. Drew in his stock XJ showed that even a stock can get up even though we could hear the occasional bump and bang. Good work all.

A bit further we passed through some easy tracks that any car could do until we came across 2 others in a hilux and X5. Yes X5! They asked me what was ahead and in short I said, "if you value your x5 panels, turn around" Not sure if they did but we laughed as we continued on until we came across a steep 50 odd meter drop towards a muddy trail below amongst beautiful rain forest type terrain.
We all got out to walk the track to ensure were we were going to go etc etc etc. I looked up and saw Maggies face. hmmmmm. Reg's first response was, "who has a winch?" I said if any one does not feel comfortable please let me know and we can turn around. By the way there was only one chicken track along the entire length of this track, which was quite confronting. But heck we are Jeepers!

Steven, being new, asked me to drive the TJ down as he was not comfortable with doing so. I was glad he asked me as it was the right thing to say and I'm sure will occur at Jambo. So I said I would. Besides I have never been in a TJ never mind driven one.
I went first in the wj in lo 1 and brakes on as it was steep. Took the right line and stopped at the bottom, walked up and talked the others on the same line. Then I drove the TJ and she sailed down, though it's different to a long base, that's for sure. During that time, there was the triple diamond club (about 12 vehicle and 100 people) who patiently waited for us as we drove past. I could hear their jealous comments fade as we left them behind on the very muddy trail (see photos). Though I admit they did have some nice trucks!

As we continued, the mud got muddier and the sliding continued. At least we had the assurance from the other club that it was passable. Which is very comforting for a trip leader, or at least me .
We were heading towards the Baal Gap Lookout but before we reached it, we came across an open area which gave us a magnificent uninterrupted view over the valley below. I was really nice to see on a clear and absolutely no wind day. After a while we moved on and I heard Reg ask - when are we stopping for lunch. I used the typical 4wd reply - 5 minutes more. Surprisingly it was and we came across an open flat area just short of Baal Gap Lookout. But just before that we were confronted with a long mud hole. I went through then the others did. And guess what they wanted to do it again. With lots of yelling and laughs and photo taking, it was great viewing. So childish....... Not!!! (see photos).
After lunch we headed towards the Castlereagh exit but not before our (or should I say my) issue. As we were traversing lots of mud very close to a creek, I was sure we would eventually come across an obstacle that may stop us. And it nearly did. There is was a very long and deep rutted mud traverse. Hmmm. what could go wrong I thought. I knew we had recovery kits and other jeeps so I smashed through the hole trying to avert the big rut I estimated was tyre depth on my right. And guess what, about half way I fell into that rut I was trying to avoid. Oh well I thought , I'll try to reverse. No go, not an inch of movement. Three of my tyres were air borne and I was smack against the side, which was about 1 foot from the window ledge. I crawled out through the window to get the snatch strap.

It was all planned, mind you!

I wanted to show the others how to do a recovery. I selected Steven's TJ as it had good recovery points on his front bar and I wanted him to experience it in real life. Luckily he was on fairly good grounding. To cut the story short. Explained the procedure etc etc . First attempt, nothing, I the got out and explained I need slightly more berries but not too much. Second attempt, she popped out and Steven had saved me!
At this point we negotiated a chicken track (the only one on the trip) to by pass the mud.
The rest of the trip was plain sailing and we ended airing up 1 k from the highway.
We said our good bys and headed home about 2.15pm.
It was a great trip with a mixture of everything, though if it had rained more, then the grading wound be a lot higher

I would like to thank the people on the trip and their kind words expressed in this thread.

Let's do it again soon....

jeep_jk112
23-04-12, 01:54 PM
I made that "diversion" myself awhile ago took me down into the valley with those massive cliffs, beautiful area!
Come across any trees, or were they cleared?

reyzor
23-04-12, 01:55 PM
excellent write up steveC............

SteveC
23-04-12, 03:16 PM
Sounds like a great trip and the scenery is beautiful in the photos. Steve is this a trip you could run for jambo and what grade would it be and how long would it take?

I think it would be a great track but depends on weather due to 40% subject to mud.

Grade is c+ but depends. Based on my thinking, all trips should have at least two experienced drivers with "well modded" Jeeps because of what could happen with possible track deterioration. Especially where it may not be possible to safely back out

Baal Bone Track
Distance 24.6K Aprox time including lunch with 5 vehicles is 4 hours
Started track at 10.14am

Stopped at View over valley, 8.4k @ 11.15am – 11.36am

Steep Hill Decent 10.1k @ 11.40am – 11.58pm (not really sure abouts the actual position

Stopped for Lunch 12k @ 12.30 – 1.00pm

Arrived at Baal Bone Look out 13k @ 1.07 – 1.20pm

Arrived at Mud Hole (bypass) 14.2k @ 1.24pm – 1.34pm

Arrived at end 24.6k at 2.45pm

Plus about 40k to get back to Rydal.

All above is approx

Hunno
23-04-12, 05:39 PM
Great recording of the track & timing. Did you use a gps or tracker?
Or just keeping a log as you went?

reyzor
23-04-12, 05:39 PM
great work steve....... this is perfect stuff for jambo!!

SteveC
23-04-12, 05:49 PM
Guys I used a GPS. Gamin GPS with it's topo maps. It will track as you go. You can even press a button to set a waypoint and thus add your comments eg Steep section here, 50m mud hole here etc etc. (but I forgot that option as I was busy being busy but and it would make it easier to remember stuff more accurately).

I did however download the tracks to the PC and this allowed me to interpret what was needed etc. You can also switch to google earth to see it all eg the view.

Learnt a few tricks, so I'm planning the track through the Pinnacles.. Any one want to join me?

Steve

Steven.Boyd
23-04-12, 06:09 PM
Whats the Grade of Pinnacles?

I am keen to get as much experience in before Jambo

SteveC
23-04-12, 07:00 PM
Steven
Thanks for your interest

I have not done the pinnacles, only read about it, so once again it will be an "adventure".

I'll post the date and get the interest soon. Hopefully early May.

Steven.Boyd
23-04-12, 07:45 PM
Depending on the date I would be interested

Steven.Boyd
24-04-12, 10:59 AM
A quick snap and stitch of one of the views

SteveC
24-04-12, 01:04 PM
Excellent Steve
Throw up some more if you can

Steven.Boyd
24-04-12, 01:15 PM
Thats about all i got, I was a bit to excited with the driving a missed a lot of photos,

Next trip i will make sure i get more images and some video

ick72
24-04-12, 05:44 PM
Kev I did pinnacles in my kj with ats and alone but that was before the rain

SteveC
15-05-12, 05:56 PM
For those that need to know: Sorry about the quality but big thanks to Steven on his first outing with the club too!

http://youtu.be/djbu4OTP4bA