PDA

View Full Version : The Pinnacles - Sunday 27th May 2012

SteveC
25-04-12, 06:30 PM
Further on for the need to prepare for Jambaroree in September. I'd like to organise a trip through the Pinnacles.

I have not done this trip and not sure if any one else has, but it's basically a test to see if it would be a viable trip to run and to enable me/us to judge the standard and appeal of this area.

All type of Jeeps welcome. From what I have read it should be OK for those even with moderate modifications (A small suspension lift would be advisable though) as long as you have the usual recovery points and recovery gear. From what I read it does have some steep sections and possible water crossings.

This trip will proceed only if weather permitting,

Where -- The Pinnacles . The start is about 44k north of Lithgow at Capertee. (about 46k from Rydal show ground), Ends around 28k from Lithgow (24k from Rydal)

When -- Sunday, 27 May 2012, 7.30am for 8am departure

Meet -- Meet -- Richmond Macdonalds

Grade -- "unknown"

Requirements -- recovery points Front/Rear, recovery gear, UHF radio, food/drinks of choice. A camera would be good for reference.

This run is limited to 12 vehicles including me..............

As mentioned this is a recce so expect the unexpected, so this will include some exploration of the area to establish suitability and to have a document ready trip for Jamboree

Post up.

Regards
Steve
Ph 0411-853859

1. Stevec Me, Steve
2. Dieselcon
3. Jeepas -
4. Nekked -
5. Will2003tj - Will
6. Steven.Boyd - Steven
7. jeepney
7. GP - John
9. Rok360 - Peter
10. Dle068 - Dave

Reserve:

Steven.Boyd
25-04-12, 09:19 PM
Confused. Sunday 13th or Sunday 27th?

bigblue
25-04-12, 09:44 PM
I'm in!

Thanks Steve

Drew

Steve F
26-04-12, 12:41 AM
Put me down as well at the moment.

Cheers
Steve

Wolfe
26-04-12, 07:40 AM
Please put me down for this

SteveC
26-04-12, 08:28 AM
Admin. can you change heading to 27th. I forgot that 13th is mothers day
Thanks

Steven.Boyd
26-04-12, 09:53 AM
Hi Steve

I would like to come along

AussieCJ7
26-04-12, 11:30 AM
Steve can you put me as a tentative I plan to be back to 4wd by the end of next weekend so could be a good shake down run

Rhino
26-04-12, 12:31 PM
Hi Steve, id like to come along as well (first SJC trip..)

gp
26-04-12, 05:34 PM
Steve
Put me down for the trip.
John Clark

ROK360
26-04-12, 09:52 PM
I am in, shall bring the Waggie for it's first trip. It will be good to get out, I would have liked to come along for the Garden of Stone - but had a family confliction.

Cheers Peter

DLE068
27-04-12, 09:45 AM
Put me down please

DLE068
27-04-12, 01:23 PM
Dave........

redrubi
27-04-12, 11:25 PM
Can we be put down as reserves please? Will have to assess how my shoulder op goes! (3+ weeks post op)

Cheers

Andy & Charl :pirate:

Will2003tj
27-04-12, 11:59 PM
Hey Steve,

Can you please add me to this trip? Promise ill make this one, plus my sye / 3.5 springs will be in by then so even more reason to make it.

Cheers

jeepney
01-05-12, 08:40 PM
Steve, pls put me down as reserve, in case someone pulls out.

jeepas
02-05-12, 02:14 PM
Hi, I met AussieCJ7 Dave the other day, and he suggested I could put my name down on the reserve list for this trip. Is this OK?

Thanks

Giles

Nekked
02-05-12, 03:48 PM
Hi Steve,

Please put me down as a reserve please. Im back from the USA and keen to get the Jeep Dirty.

Cheers Alex

kiwi kev
02-05-12, 10:34 PM
put me on reserves please

Wolfe
02-05-12, 10:57 PM
Hi, I met AussieCJ7 Dave the other day, and he suggested I could put my name down on the reserve list for this trip. Is this OK?

Thanks

Giles

Sure, but be aware that preference is given to club members. Off course put your name down as we may run Two trips and people DO drop out, So you may be lucky just keep checking back. But we do encourage potential members and visitors to attend our runs just to "feel out" the club and see if its what they are after.

SteveC
03-05-12, 10:53 AM
people DO drop out, .

Are you serious! That NEVER happens.............not on my trips.... hahaha

In all seriousness "jeepas", we try to accommodate any interested party as best we can. Keep an eye on this thread.

I see this trip being a good training and exercise opportunity for all members whether novice and experience on the best way to conduct a tour for Jamboree and beyond in an organised, friendly, fun and safe manner.

AussieCJ7
11-05-12, 11:17 AM
Steve

Very sorry but now have to go to Singapore for work that week and dont think I will be able to make this trip best to give my spot to one of the reserves

Rhino
17-05-12, 09:59 AM
Steve,

Unfortunately i need to pull out of this trip as Uni work has gotten in the way on that day..

bigblue
20-05-12, 09:06 PM
Sorry guys... I can't make it!! Gotta work.. Aaarrrggghhh!!
Have a great day guys!!!

Drew

Steve F
22-05-12, 03:53 PM
Sorry guys cant make it but I guess it leaves room for a reserve to jump in :)

Cheers
Steve

SteveC
22-05-12, 04:22 PM
Hey guys, There have been some withdrawals, so those that were on the reserve list, please confirm that you'll be attending.
Thanks
Steve

Wolfe
23-05-12, 07:35 AM
Sorry steve , I'm out also, I don't think my junk will be fixed by then

SteveC
23-05-12, 10:38 AM
Sorry you cant make it Wolfe
You can always run as a passenger???

Bear
23-05-12, 04:12 PM
Steve, sorry to advise I have to withdraw from this trip. I have just been advised by ARB my Jeep goes into the workshop on Saturday 26/05/12 to commence some mods I ordered in early March,(been waiting on parts arriving).

SteveC
23-05-12, 05:45 PM
Sorry to hear that Reg. I know you both were looking forward to it. Perhaps next time.

What mods Reg?

ALSO for others: The weather may have an impact, so I'll post confirmation Friday evening or Saturday morning

Steven.Boyd
23-05-12, 05:46 PM
If weather dose not permit for that trip is there alternative tracks ?

SteveC
23-05-12, 10:11 PM
Steven. Will Revise closer to day
Im itchy to go too

Dieselcon
24-05-12, 05:42 PM
Please add me to the list. I'm 80% available....;)
Cheers Jose

redrubi
24-05-12, 11:49 PM
Sorry Steve,

On advice from my physio, it is with great regret that I have to withdraw from the trip!:grumpy: Now how formal does that sound?

In reality I'm going to let it rest a bit more, so I can hopefuly attend the driver training.:eagerness:

Still very interested in driving this area so if it is called I'll hopefuly make that one! If you do go photos please!!

Cheers

Andy & Charl:pirate:

Dieselcon
25-05-12, 07:39 AM
Hey Andy. I understand the disappointment of be limited due to injury. My knee is playing up heaps lately and have every intention of getting out but........ At least we have our jeeps to look at and wash even though their still clean. I'm just glad it's winter as there are less trips I'm missing.

kiwi kev
26-05-12, 12:30 PM
sorry, will have to pull out guys, have a great day out, cheers Kev

SteveC
26-05-12, 06:02 PM
Hello all

The weather forecast is not the best but I intend to still go. I will see everyone at Maccas Richmond tomorrow - 7.30-8.00am.

If things do turn out bad we can address this at Lithgow.

Suggestions are to check the intended track and analyses it first hand or other alternatives could be to check out the Rydal showground or have a beer at the pub

+++ Bring warm clothing +++

Keep fingers crossed

Steve

Will2003tj
26-05-12, 06:27 PM
Im forced to baol out once again! too much thesis work and my jeep hasnt been in yet for well needed work...

Have a good trip

Dieselcon
26-05-12, 07:56 PM
Sorry Steve,
I'm going to pull out aswell. Pitty as I was looking forward to this trip, hope it's in the jambo. Will be driving south ( a bit closer for me) to see how my leg goes. Hoping all is ok for next weeks camping.
Have fun, be safe, and take heaps of photos and vids.
Cheers
Jose

ROK360
26-05-12, 09:54 PM
Amazing that so many have pulled the pin - I shall be there and bringing a passenger too.

Looking forward to a good day out.

Just note for future reference my 360 will be sniffing out LPG - I am pretty sure it is addicted. Just letting you know that in advance that I only have a Tarmac reference for fuel economy (not even sure I should use that word when speaking about the Waggie, well Swan can use that word then so can I.) I prefer to have full tanks before heading off the sealed stuff.

Cheers

Steven.Boyd
27-05-12, 08:33 PM
Back in Sydney from a great day out. Weather was good and tracks were great.

Big thanks to Steve C for running another well organised trip

will upload some images and video in the next few days

SteveC
28-05-12, 11:33 AM
Ok, Well the trip went ahead as scheduled which was a great decision.

As I'm still tired from a long day yesterday, I'll write up a brief report about the trip.

The weather turned out excellent, with a sunny day and cool breeze all round, not cold at all (except for when the sun went down at the end of the day when airing-up).

As I had not been there for many years it was all new for me, so this was as much as an adventure as it was recce for the up coming Jamboree.

While the initial numbers who wanted to attend, when I first posted this trip, were around 17 ish, only 6 turned up, while this was disappointing as far as jamboree support goes from club members, it was however a great day which I and the others were thrilled about. I enjoyed leading through some wonderful, varied and changing environment

Attendees were:
John on his own in his well set up black TJ, she's a beauty
Steven in a Red TJ with his lovely girl friend, who I did not know was even there until we had lunch!! shows how much I took notice!! or was that Steven's fault...
Dave & his boy in the ever reliable Black rubicon. He can;'t wait to get his 35's. It will be awasome!
James and his friend in his WJ lorado, which I was happy to finally see another Wj on a trip. It went really well with the lift and mid tyres
Peter & his mate in his ..hmmmm not sure what model, though it did sport 35's, but something like ... sorry about that Peter,please educate me?
Me & my mate Bruce in my WJ with my new Km2 32's.

While not the most challenging, (I rate it as B- for non modified & novices and C+ for those that love their trucks too much.) It had plenty of things to negotiate including about 8 water crossings, most around bumper height & exits, that needed careful approach and throttle. Some of the crossing were around 30 m long while others were just a few. These turned out to be great photo opportunities!. There were many bog holes but they were, for the most part pretty easy with only one that we decided to avoid, due to time . The area is mostly shale and not that much mud, though there was one steep section of rutted mud that was fun going down that really showed all of the Jeeps flex. Whoa!.

There are numerous places to stop for lunch, which we did around midday, There are picnic tables scattered along the track and you often saw Kangaroos & wild goats through most of the park. the first third of the trail is definitely the prettiest and would rate highly for those that seek a mild challenges with family and kids.

The thing I under estimated was the time to do the 50 odd K's .

We left Richmond maccas around 8.10am and some of us topped up for fuel in Lithgow finally arriving at the start of the track a few k north of Capertee around 10.10, aired down and took off after I gave a few instructions, then started off at 10.30 am existing our trip at Sunny Corner road Tar section around 4pm.
It was long day, longer than I expected and I apologies to those that attended that it took so long. Knowing what I know now, I would "probably reconsider" and run a trip to where we had lunch and perhaps back track to ensure interest is maintained as it's wonderful country with plenty of fantastic views and photo opportunities. The second half is quite easy though there are numerous long steep descents that required 1 low and feathering of the brakes . Closed to 2/3 of the way we did come across a ses group and that reckon there was a huge hill that had a sign called "dead end road, Unfortunately time beat us but perhaps next time. I suspect there are some more serious challenges in the area for another day to explore.

I would be happy to hear from others who attended for their experience and suggestions as well as posting the photos

Steve

Steven.Boyd
28-05-12, 09:27 PM
A few images from the day

ROK360
28-05-12, 09:30 PM
"Peter & his mate in his ..hmmmm not sure what model, though it did sport 35's, but something like ... sorry about that Peter,please educate me?"

Thanks Steve for leading the trip it was nicely controlled and we certainly felt U did a good job.

As far as my Jeep - well it is a Full Size Jeep or SJ, I call it the 'Waggie'.

My passenger is the club's public member.

I don't have many photos but will dig out a few.

Cheers Peter

Steven.Boyd
28-05-12, 09:37 PM
A few more images from the day

ian C
28-05-12, 09:45 PM
Some great colour in those photos and i love that wagon, very cool.

jeepney
28-05-12, 11:36 PM
Thanks Steve C for organising that trip. You're indeed an excellent trip leader with your clear communication and guidance to the convoy. That track will be ideal for those taking their family on a mild off-road drive. There were numerous camping sites and one area had a toilet. The kids will be excited with those numerous river crossings barring any strong rain which I'm sure the river can swell up to 10 ft deep. We were lucky that the weather cooperated after the previous days' gloomy forecast. Also to Steve Boyd for those nice pictures. At last, I'll have photos of my jeep in action. Hope to see you guys back in the tracks.

jeepney
28-05-12, 11:43 PM
Amazing that so many have pulled the pin - I shall be there and bringing a passenger too.

Looking forward to a good day out.

Just note for future reference my 360 will be sniffing out LPG - I am pretty sure it is addicted. Just letting you know that in advance that I only have a Tarmac reference for fuel economy (not even sure I should use that word when speaking about the Waggie, well Swan can use that word then so can I.) I prefer to have full tanks before heading off the sealed stuff.

Cheers
Peter, I had been following you for several kms and I'm now addicted to that LPG smell. I'm considering I'll have an LPG conversion too on my WJ before the end of June so I can avail of the $1250 rebate.

ROK360
29-05-12, 12:10 AM
A few more images from the day

Thanks Steve - I am pretty sure they are the finest photos I have of the Waggie.

Many thanks.

Nekked
29-05-12, 10:30 PM
Sorry guys got my dates mixed up, trip looked awesome, glad you guys had fun.

SteveC
02-06-12, 01:07 PM
Some more images of the day: Enjoy.

Greg D
02-06-12, 05:53 PM
Excellent shots, Steve. I'm sure they can be well used for Jambo promotion.
Greg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Steven.Boyd
02-06-12, 08:57 PM
Hey Greg

If you need any high-res images for jamb promo let me know

ROK360
02-06-12, 09:46 PM
Thanks for some more great images there Steve C. I don't think there are any of us who don't enjoy looking at piccies of Jeeps.

Cheers Peter

jeepney
06-06-12, 11:11 AM
Thanks for these pics Steve. The best shot of my WJ so far. Wish I could print it.

Steven.Boyd
06-06-12, 04:08 PM
I have lost you email address

If you PM me your email address i will email you a few that you can print