PDA

View Full Version : What Mods can you get away with

uniuckychucky
30-04-12, 11:06 PM
Hey I am wanting to do somethings for my wrangler TJ though in USA they get away with them Such as a Stinger on the front bumper or Beadlocks i want to no if anyone has either of these mods and if they have ever been hassled by the police because of this because im sure that not alot of people know what bead locks are even though they are illegal you could run them and no get pulled over. Another thing is that i run my Tires outside my guards which is apparently illegal though ive never got pulled over or anything but when i went to Camp coffs i was the only Jeep that had their tires past the Fenders.

Steve F
30-04-12, 11:25 PM
Stinger will get you a defect for sure, not exactly subtle. Beadlocks not so bad as there are plenty of fake ones runnng around now, tyres outside the gaurds is just asking for trouble. Dont know if that helps or if it's what you wanted to hear :(

Cheers
Steve

Wolfe
01-05-12, 07:04 AM
Keep it simple keep it neat, mudflaps, cover your tires, nothing protruding way past the front of your rig

reyzor
01-05-12, 09:13 AM
stinger will get you pinged like steve F said...... i run beadlocks, they dont stand out as such, but they arent legal... i know that if i get pulled over, its one more thing that i can get done for..... tires hanging out of the gaurds is like waving a red flag infront of a bull..... keep your tires covered.... yes it looks cool to have em hang out, but you'll look silly when you car is on the back of a tilt tray with a defect sticker on it cos the tires hanging out caught a coppers eye....

most of the bigger cars in the club run mudflaps also, again, they dont look as fucky as you want, but it keeps everything neat and legal-ish......

the less attention you can draw to yourself the better in my opinion.......

SteveC
01-05-12, 09:57 AM
It's not just the legal aspect. Illegal mods could void your insurance as well as possible void of your 3rd party. A ticket is nothing compared to many $$$ if you're involved in an accident regardless of who is at fault.
It's a risk many take and hopefully come through their ownership unscathed.

Hunno
01-05-12, 03:28 PM
the less attention you can draw to yourself the better in my opinion.......

This is probably the best advice anyone can really give you.

My old motto " Out of Sight Out of Mind".

reyzor
01-05-12, 04:03 PM
easier said than done when one 37's ;)

uniuckychucky
02-05-12, 09:50 AM
No thanks for the reply that for years ive had the tires past the guards never been a problem just don't have them on when your getting it registered it saves scraping your sides and you can continue going even though your stuck on a wall so i dont have them showing off there just out by a inch most cops are worried about people going 5kmph over the speed limit. I would love to try and get some beadlocks even Graham from 4wd action runs them on his petrol so not many people know what they are. I will not be putting a Stinger on even though i would like to have one.

uniuckychucky
02-05-12, 09:51 AM
yeah i got my Stock mudflaps i dont mind them but its just seeing if anyone really cares about my Tires hanging about 2"s past the guards ive drove past cops and never got pulled up

reyzor
02-05-12, 10:53 AM
ive been done for having my tires out of the guards when i had my tj..... the less you can give cops to pick on the better....

jsut cos one cop didnt pull you over, doesnt mean they all wont....

im pretty sure its only high way patrol who can pull you over for a defect.... but thats not to say a normal cop wont pull you over and then get a highway patrol officer in......

buy extended flares, get some mudflaps, and keep the car looking as tame as possible......unless you enjoy making love to the long arm of the law

Hunno
02-05-12, 02:19 PM
jsut cos one cop didnt pull you over, doesnt mean they all wont....

im pretty sure its only high way patrol who can pull you over for a defect.... but thats not to say a normal cop wont pull you over and then get a highway patrol officer in......

Don't you believe it. They all Can & will if you give them a reason. Just Highway Patrol's Jub description to do it.

uniuckychucky
02-05-12, 08:30 PM
Well ive always had my Tires further than my guards my dad and cousin has been doing it for years and never been a problem so ill just see how long it can last before i have to get some larger ones to destroy the awesome look it makes. I wanna get a Set of spyderlocks cause there my favorite beadlock and im worried bout pushing the tire off the rim but theres so many stupid looking wheels that some people put on cars and wheels that have fake bead locks i should be able to get away with it.

Wolfe
02-05-12, 10:01 PM
unless, like me, you enjoy making love to the long arm of the law fixed

Quote of the day Rey

reyzor
03-05-12, 09:03 AM
Well ive always had my Tires further than my guards my dad and cousin has been doing it for years and never been a problem so ill just see how long it can last before i have to get some larger ones to destroy the awesome look it makes. I wanna get a Set of spyderlocks cause there my favorite beadlock and im worried bout pushing the tire off the rim but theres so many stupid looking wheels that some people put on cars and wheels that have fake bead locks i should be able to get away with it.

sorry mate, i must have mistaken your first post as asking for advice......

at the end of the day, its your car, your license, your money, your insurance etc.......do what you want.....

if your dad, and cousin have been doing it for years then they have been lucky.... you sound like a young fella..... do you really think a jeep on P plates isnt attracting enough attention for the law? now imagine that jeep with tires hanging out, no mud flaps, bold bead locks..... get my drift....

if you are looking for members on here to help you justify your mods, you probably looking in the wrong place.....

you need to work out what you wanna do with the car, if it is an everyday car... keep it modest, if its somthign your building for tuff truck... go nuts.

id hate to be that guy who say "i told you so"

Hunno
03-05-12, 11:24 AM
id hate to be that guy who say "i told you so"

O' but he will.

Anyway Rey wouldn't break the law with his daily driver either, mind you neither would I.

reyzor
03-05-12, 11:31 AM
absolutley not......... but if i was to, id make it as hidden as possible...............

Hybridxj
20-05-12, 06:13 PM
yeah i got my Stock mudflaps i dont mind them but its just seeing if anyone really cares about my Tires hanging about 2"s past the guards ive drove past cops and never got pulled up

Did I see you driving on the Great western Hwy, city bound this afternoon? If so, It's only a matter of time before you get pulled up by the cops, because those tyres stick out like a sore thumb! Looks a little bit crazy too!

uniuckychucky
23-05-12, 09:49 PM
I dont think so My Green Tj has been home for quite some time now the only other person i no that has tires past the guards is my Cousin in a 2011 silver rubicon

reyzor
24-05-12, 07:29 AM
maybe you guys could get a group discount when it comes time to clear defects?

Hunno
24-05-12, 08:22 AM
especially when you go bragging about it on a public forum.

Hybridxj
25-05-12, 09:42 AM
I dont think so My Green Tj has been home for quite some time now the only other person i no that has tires past the guards is my Cousin in a 2011 silver rubicon

Ok, it was a dark green TJ that had been out playing, it was probably about 16:30/17:00 on the Sunday. Really my point was that even if it wasn't you, if your TJ looks anything like it did, you will soon be up for a list of defects if you haven't had you jeep engineered? You're definitely waving a red flag if not! Believe me, having to cover up the tyres is the easiest rectification mod an engineer will get you to do. It's all the other stuff that hurts! Other than the tyres, the jeep I saw would draw little attention to the police otherwise.