PDA

View Full Version : Front auto lockers

a_boogs
23-05-12, 08:09 PM
Hey guys,
Looking at getting some improved traction and am considering a lunch box auto locker, prob an Aussie locker (mostly for price reasons) and wondering if anyone runs this style/type of locker in their Dana 30 and just how bad it affects steering off road in both hi and low range situations... Also how intrusive it is in terms of clunkiness... Anyone had any bad experiences with this gear...

Hunno
23-05-12, 11:37 PM
Only in the rear for me. Never really heard it.

Greg D
23-05-12, 11:59 PM
I have an Aussie Locker in my Dana 30 in the front of my TJ. (Aussie is now US based and won't ship to Australia - I bought it in the US. I think Lokka is the same and available here). I think it is great. Never heard it. Never had any issues with steering. Seems to work well. I've never used any other type of locker, so I don't have any other experience to compare to, but my experience with this one has been all good.
Greg

Hunno
24-05-12, 09:20 AM
Just a warning with auto lockers - You can't turn them off.
If you have a heavy right foot of road or just very determined to get through carry spares.

reyzor
24-05-12, 10:01 AM
a mate of mine ran them in the front and back of his tj...... very clunky (though this is not such an issue) steering was fine, i belive they disengage when the wheels are turnign at differnt speeds ie around corners....

a cheap solution really..... however, i cant fault the rubi e lockers...... a zillion times better then the arb version i reckon... no air leaks, etc.....

Greg D
24-05-12, 11:53 AM
Just to add, mine have taken some punishment over the past 12 months - including climbing Cardiac Hill near Mt Schofield, as captured by Jose in his video clips of that trip:
http://www.sydneyjeepclub.com/showthread.php?2888-Mt-schofield-area-trip

Greg

sbadman
24-05-12, 02:28 PM
The Lokka (which is the same as the Aussie Locker) in the front of my XJ was definitely the best bang for buck mod I did to it (and I paid $160 for my first lift kit!). However it means I can no longer use the 4WD-FT setting on the road. IIRC the standard ZJ transfer case doesn't have a 2WD option, if so this rules out a front auto locker. Reason being anytime power is applied from the driveshaft the locker will lock up, which makes going around corners very interesting!

vk2icj
25-05-12, 09:55 AM
If I only had money for one locker and it had to be an auto locker then I would put it in the rear. Not the front. You would not effect your steering then and would get the benefits when climbing when most of the Jeep's weight is on the rear axle. Do you already have a locker in the rear?

Chris

Steve F
25-05-12, 10:33 AM
If I only had money for one locker and it had to be an auto locker then I would put it in the rear. Not the front. You would not effect your steering then and would get the benefits when climbing when most of the Jeep's weight is on the rear axle. Do you already have a locker in the rear?

Chris

If you have a good factory LSD in the rear a locker can be a better option up front. In saying that mine is in the back as when I put the D44 in the XJ I rebuilt the diff and installed a locker while regearing.

Cheers
Steve

reyzor
25-05-12, 12:17 PM
that debate of front vs back will go on forever..... personally i rarely use the front....... but alot of people swear by the front only (nissan drivers in particular) but as steve said, if you have a good LSD a rear locker is kinda overkill

vk2icj
25-05-12, 10:00 PM
that debate of front vs back will go on forever..... personally i rarely use the front....... but alot of people swear by the front only (nissan drivers in particular) but as steve said, if you have a good LSD a rear locker is kinda overkill

I agree with the Nissan Drivers bit. I had a Patrol with a front locker only and thought the lsd was good but when you got one rear wheel in the air it was no different than an open dif really. Yes they are effective but not anywhere near as good as a locked rear. I have both front and rear lockers on my Jeep (ARB) I hardly ever use the front. I would not want to be stuck with the front on and not be able to turn it off when attempting some rutty climb. I never hesitate to use the rear though. If a_boogs doesn't have a locker he would be far happier with one in the rear than one in the front no matter how good his rear lsd is, especially if he has to go with an auto (Always engaged) locker in my opinion.

Wooders
26-05-12, 09:30 AM
In a some cases (XJ/ZJ D35 for example) I would NOT recommend using an auto locker with stock axles.
The front is a simple upgrade, whist not AS efficient as the rear it truely makes a MASSIVE difference in the offroad ability of the vehicle.
Possibly more proportional improvement than upgrading the rear lsd to a locker......

Hunno
26-05-12, 09:47 AM
But if you want an Auto locker & carrier for the Dana 35 $100.

Went in for in September for Jambo & & stoped being used by Easter when I ripped the front diff off. So only about 6 months of use.

a_boogs
06-06-12, 10:05 PM
Cheers for the info guys... I still like the idea of a front auto locker but have encountered another issue... I already have 4.56 gears in the Dana 30 which meant changing the original carrier... Which means lokka units are not compatible as they only make units for the stock carrier...... All of which means I think i am now limited to a Detroit or arb air locker..... Anyone got any ideas of other brands that might work???

a_boogs
06-06-12, 10:07 PM
But if you want an Auto locker & carrier for the Dana 35 $100.

Went in for in September for Jambo & & stoped being used by Easter when I ripped the front diff off. So only about 6 months of use.

Don't think I would lock my 35 unless it was trusses and chromly shafts.... I drive to aggressively :)

Wooders
07-06-12, 12:38 AM
Cheers for the info guys... I still like the idea of a front auto locker but have encountered another issue... I already have 4.56 gears in the Dana 30 which meant changing the original carrier... Which means lokka units are not compatible as they only make units for the stock carrier...... All of which means I think i am now limited to a Detroit or arb air locker..... Anyone got any ideas of other brands that might work???
Adam you gotta stop listening to whomever is telling you this stuff. That is plain wrong.
Now my biggest concern with running an auto locker in the front of a ZJ is the full-time transfer case. I would NOT consider one unless the transfer case is swapped for one that has 2wd.

Hunno
09-06-12, 11:45 PM
He's already swapped it out for a 242.

Wooders
10-06-12, 10:25 AM
All sweet then al long as no full-time 4wd is used.
:)

a_boogs
10-06-12, 10:31 PM
Yeah I haven't used full time 4wd since I put the 242 in a year ago so I'm happy to give it up... My real concern is the stock axles on 32 inch tyres.. After coffs I replaced both front unis (1 was cactus and other prob not far behind)

Cpage66
17-06-12, 07:36 PM
In my little XJ I've got a Spartan in the front D30 and a Detroit in the rear Chrysler 8.25...