PDA

View Full Version : track Canberra to Cooma

TRBN8R
28-05-12, 12:27 PM
Hi Guys.....

I am planning a snow trip with family and friends.... We have accommodation booked at Dalgety.... Some one told me that there is a dirt road leading from Woden to Cooma and is a good scenic alternate to Monaro Highway..... He could not provide any more info as his friend's friend had told him about the track.....

We are not looking for hard tracks as we will be carrying 3 kids 5,7,and 10 and 4th on in the oven....... Dont want to get in trouble with the family......

We will be driving in 2 JKs... Moderate mods lift muddies etc.... Looking for an easy scenic drive...... Any help with names of roads, GPS co ordinates etc will be much appreciated..... I have just purchased a Memory Map software for my phone and computer and will be carrying both with me.... I am not very proficient in using computers but have just learnt how to plot maps using waypoints etc......

Also if there is any restriction on carrying of alcohol due to aboriginal areas etc.... Planning to carry 6 bottles of scotch in my Jeep or we can split 3 each....

Also The Jeeps will be loaded close to full. We will be carrying gear for both families. We both have 2inch lifts, Bull Bars, Snorkels, Sway bar discos, Recovery equipment, A good hand winch and 285/70/17 Cooper STTs...... Based on the above data can the experienced drivers also help us with tips and tricks for driving on snow re 4hi or 4 lo, Tyre pressures, Sway bars connected or disconnected, What to do or not to do or anything you guys feel important........

Thanks a lot in advance guys for your time.....

Cheers

Mani

SteveC
28-05-12, 02:19 PM
There is a road,actually two on the other side of Lake George that I used to use many years ago and it was dirt then but not sure what it's like now. I think it is tar with some dirt It starts earlier around Goulburn goes past Braidwood (nicest pies around)
Mani - not sure how much dirt now and probably able to do in a sedan though there are other places that require a 4wd vehicle but then it will take a lot longer to drive . Comes out around Nimmitabel.

As for driving through snow, unless you go hunt for it or the weather goes ballistic, normal driving will get you through shallow snow but you will still need chains regardless 4wd or not

BTW when are you going? We're going to Hotham & Vic for a change over two weeks

ps Booze is mandatory when going to the snow!

Heidi
28-05-12, 02:21 PM
Hey Mani

I relied on Ausjeepoffroad.

Most the tracks will be closed for the winter :( You can explore a little bit at Island Bend (off the Guthaga Rd) as there are some tracks that lead to camping spots - we normally spend at least one afternoon a season looking for the best spot to camp.

There is a dirt road through Namadigi NP that ends near Adaminaby and then there are dirt roads from there to Cooma or Berridale.

Dalgety is a nice country town about 40 mins from Jindy, top pub.

Driving to the ski fields you might 4Hi if you feel the need - biggest advise drive slow and dont brake. We have only used 4lo once and that was towing the camper with 2" snow on the road at 2am on a Friday night a few years ago.

Best value ski hire we have found is The Shed they are located just off the Barry Way.

We ski about 20-30 days depending on the season so any questions ask away!

Heidi

Heidi
28-05-12, 02:23 PM
In NSW 4wds do not technically need to carry chains - but you can be asked to fit them if required (but can't be fined for not having them). Victoria you are required to carry chains

SteveC
28-05-12, 02:51 PM
Spot on Heidi

National Park regulations state that all vehicles (except four wheel drive vehicles) entering the National Park must carry chains when driving through designated 'snow and ice' risk sections. Snow and ice risk sections are identified by black and yellow signs within the Kosciuszko National Park. The current designated 'snow and ice' risk sections are:

Alpine Way – Thredbo to Tom Grogin
Kosciuszko Road within the National Park boundary
Guthega Road within the National Park boundary

Although 4wd's are excluded from the requirements to carry and fit chains, Roads and Maritime Services (replacing Roads and Traffic Authority) recommends that persons driving 4WD vehicles (which include off-road vehicles, all wheel drive vehicles and sports utilities), except those fitted with winter tyres, carry snow chains and fit them when directed. They will assist you in driving on ice and snow by improving your vehicle’s traction with the slippery road. You may also need them in the event of extreme weather conditions.

Hunno
28-05-12, 06:59 PM
Try googling Boboyan Rd. Leaves Canberra heads up through the National Park just west of the Monaro Hwy & comes out just east of Cooma.
Great drive, I did it on the way to the last Jambo.

TRBN8R
29-05-12, 10:12 AM
THanks guys... http://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif ....

With kids and ladies in our cars I think we will play it safe and take Boboyan road as it appears to be a scenic back road and no surprises.... will be in dalgety from 30/6 to 2/7.... Wife is pregnant so will leave the skiing and adventurous tracks to the next time.... At the moment my 5 year old who has never seen snow wants to make a giant snowman and that's the objective of the trip....

I was gonna take the Monaro Hwy but during a drunken discussion this friend of mine suggested the track I was talking about in the original post..... But he had no further info on it than what I posted...... On further investigation Boboyan Road as suggested by Hunno and Quints on AJOR definitely appears to be the road this guy was talking about.....

Thanks heaps again guys for all your input and hope my 5 year old enjoys the trip as much as she is imagining......

Cheers

Mani

TRBN8R
29-05-12, 10:32 AM
Hi guys....

One last query regarding Black Ice... I had a really bad crash riding a motorbike on a road topped with black ice about 16 years ago......

What tyre pressure to run and what to do incase I come across black ice.....

Cheers

Mani

Heidi
29-05-12, 03:10 PM
run highway pressures - if you hit ice and start to slide accelerate through rather than braking

SteveC
29-05-12, 06:30 PM
Mani - if you hit black ice, especially at speed only those wearing skates will have control!

I know as once I was in a car that was doing less than 30-40k and she did a 360 before hitting the embankment. No control what so ever.

Just look out for suspected shaded places on the tar especially early morning. near trees or embankments that throw a shadow close to the road.