PDA

View Full Version : TL Clicking from right hand front

Steven.Boyd
29-05-12, 10:01 AM
After the weekend i have a strange clicking sound coming from the right hand front of my TJ

On the trip we pulled off the front wheel and we inspected everything but we could not see anything, everything was tight and nothing was jammed or caught up. When i put slight pressure on the brakes the sound would disappear also after driving though water it would also stop but would come back again.

I am dismantling the front end this week but any ideas on what i should be looking for ???

Steve F
29-05-12, 10:34 AM
Most likely the UNI joint at the wheel. When you put your foot on the brake it loads it up and stops any movement so the clicking goes away. Have a good look in there for any play or movement in the joint.

Cheers
Steve

Steven.Boyd
29-05-12, 10:52 AM
Hi Steve F

I am not the most tech-y guy when it comes to cars. i will have a look and see what i can find

Steven.Boyd
29-05-12, 11:00 AM
Silly Question time

if the UNI Joint is the problem can i still drive it?

Once i got back to the black top it also stopped

SteveC
29-05-12, 11:37 AM
Steven
Steve F could be right but I'd back Steve F on that idea

I also suggest to check the brake pads. Easy to dismantle. Some have a metal backing/clip that can come loose off the back of the pad it self.

Just an idea.

Steve

Steven.Boyd
29-05-12, 11:54 AM
Thank you.

I am going to dismantle it on Wednesday and have it back together for the weekend.

See how i go

Hunno
29-05-12, 12:22 PM
As was once described on our forum as the "little cross thingy" inside the pivot point of the axle. There are relatively cheap to replace.

Steven.Boyd
29-05-12, 12:46 PM
If it is that can it still be driven until i get the replacement ?

Steve F
29-05-12, 12:52 PM
It can be driven as there is very little load on it in 2WD, 4WD is where it loads up and is more likely to break. The less driving the better though.

Cheers
Steve

Steven.Boyd
29-05-12, 08:40 PM
Ok, so i have roller under the jeep (love that i can get under it with out jacking it up)

Put it in neutral and handbrake off, rolled it back and forth a little to make sure everything is freed up.

By hand tried to see if there is any movement in the front two uni joints "little cross thingy" inside the pivot point of the axle No movement

Should the jeep be jacked up ??? with no weight on the wheels

Steven.Boyd
29-05-12, 08:45 PM
Any other ideas as what to look for???

Steve F
29-05-12, 09:20 PM
you'll be lucky to see movement if testing by hand, stick a big screwdriver in there and heave on them

cheers
steve

Steven.Boyd
30-05-12, 10:27 AM
I am just going to replace both drivers side and passenger side but where is the best place to get them from ?

Hoping to install tomorrow

Steve F
30-05-12, 02:02 PM
Wooders has them, Repco maybe easier for you though but more expensive.

Cheers
Steve

Steven.Boyd
30-05-12, 03:16 PM
Wooders $75.00 Each but my mate owns a workshop and got them for me @ $30 each

Dieselcon
30-05-12, 05:36 PM
Have a clicking sound aswell. My uni's are fine(I think) but I have a 2mm play on the ball joints. I'm guessing this is normal wear and tear on JK's. Plus bushes on control arms worn....enough to make a clicking sound when in 4wd. Anyone else had this issue. 45,000km only

Steven.Boyd
30-05-12, 05:50 PM
My TJ has 157 on the clock, weather or not that is the fault i am replacing them anyway and while on the hoist good time to check everything else under there

mine is in 4WD and 2WD but goes away when slight brake pressure is applied.

But stops on the black top

Steven.Boyd
31-05-12, 07:48 PM
so up on the hoist today and front uni joints have no play in them.

Fount the front right sway bar link has a knock in it, once i disconnect the sway bar and jump up and down the knocking sound has stopped. Different sound to what it was doing so will have to wait and see

Dismantled all the brakes and hubs and checked everything else and all is good.

noise has gone on 4wd and 2wd on the black top. will get it off road this weekend at the driver awareness training and see how we go

SteveC
01-06-12, 02:49 PM
so up on the hoist today and front uni joints have no play in them.

Fount the front right sway bar link has a knock in it, once i disconnect the sway bar and jump up and down the knocking sound has stopped. Different sound to what it was doing so will have to wait and see

Dismantled all the brakes and hubs and checked everything else and all is good.

noise has gone on 4wd and 2wd on the black top. will get it off road this weekend at the driver awareness training and see how we go

I hope it works out as simple as that Steven. Good work!