PDA

View Full Version : JK Tyre Carrier

nevscollop
03-06-12, 08:50 PM
Hey Everyone

Looking at 33in for my JK, does anyone still run the stock tyre carrier with bigger tyres? And if not, whats best solution?

Cheers,

Nick

redrubi
03-06-12, 08:55 PM
G-day Nick!

Yes we do! Not a problem:encouragement:. We also have 16" steel rims.

Hope this helps!

Cheers

Andy & Charl:pirate:

nevscollop
03-06-12, 08:56 PM
G-day Nick!

Yes we do! Not a problem:encouragement:. We also have 16" steel rims.

Hope this helps!

Cheers

Andy & Charl:pirate:

Good stuff- any mods required to reduce rattle/movement?

Paul-JK
03-06-12, 09:23 PM
I've got 285/70/17's on stock wheels on the stock carrier and it fit's, but you wouldn't get anything bigger on it with making some mods. The tyre fits pretty much up the bottom of the brake light and hard up against the brake light support. It pushes up harder against the rubber stoppers as well but they flex enough to cope. It doesn't appear to touch the rear bumper but I sometimes see some marks on it so it clearly it does touch at some point.......presumably with flex in the chassis/tub mounts as the bumper is chassis mounted but the wheel is obviously mounted to the tub. As I say it fits but you'd not get anything bigger on there without mods or different wheels or both.

redrubi
03-06-12, 09:33 PM
No not really! I have 4.5" back spacing on the wheels and so far I,ve had no rattles/movement! But it's only possible to go down to 16" pre 09 (as the brake calipers changed to bigger after 09).

Dieselcon
04-06-12, 06:35 AM
285's are fine....I'm running 305's on stock rims and spare just fits on rear carrier. Forcefully snug against rear middle brake light and bottom is pushing hard against bumper. An after market bumper would not have this issue.
It's a 2person job to get the tyre on :), one pushing hard and the other ready with nut.

Paul-JK
04-06-12, 08:31 AM
Forcefully snug against rear middle brake light and bottom is pushing hard against bumper

I like that phrase........forcefully snug. I'm certainly willing to bet you don't get any rattles from it!

Just a though through. If it's hard against the bumper then every time you close the tailgate the tyre will hit the bumper and potentially put strain on the tyre carrier. Might not be a lot but if done repeatedly could start to weaken the carrier. Just a thought. Could you not get some spacers made up for the carrier? I know wheel spacers aren't legal but surely you'd be OK on the carrier. Oh, and how do you get 305's on stock rims on the car without rubbing? I'm having a hell of a job getting the rear set up on 285's without them hitting the sway bar at full extension (drivers side) and compression (passenger side)?

Sorry for the slight thread hijack Nick but once you get your 33's you'll have all of the same fun issues to contend with. I now understand why people say you're never finished with these things. Everything you do has a knock on effect to other things so fixing one thing then creates new jobs to add to the list. At least I'm never bored!

Dieselcon
04-06-12, 06:45 PM
. Oh, and how do you get 305's on stock rims on the car without rubbing? I'm having a hell of a job getting the rear set up on 285's without them hitting the sway bar at full extension (drivers side) and compression (passenger side)?

. Everything you do has a knock on effect to other things so fixing one thing then creates new jobs to add to the list.

:0
Obviously you are correct. I get a little rubbing on rear plastic inner fending (but no swaybar issue), and a little rubbing on front swaybar.
Is your rear axel centered?
I also Adjusted the brake line bracket to miss rubbing on tyre.

If its not one issue it's another.... Just like my work;)