PDA

View Full Version : Jk Recovery Points - BlackjackWelding - Feeback ??

bigblue
08-07-12, 06:50 PM
Hey All..

I have just upgraded the old XJ to a 2007 JK Unlimited and i need some recovery points
I will probaly just get the Mopar front hooks. (unless anyone has any other suggestions)

I have no tow-bar on the rear so i thought i should get something for the rear..
I found these Blackjack Welding ones n they look quite good.. does anyone have any experience with them?

http://www.blackjackwelding.com.au/our-products/jk-wrangler-2007-current?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage-ask.tpl&product_id=47&category_id=2

Thanks Guys...

Drew
P.s If anyone is looking for a 1994 Cherokee XJ Sport let me know.
I will post it in for sale section soon

Negdriver
08-07-12, 07:45 PM
I hope your bringing the jk on the trip :smile-new:

Paul-JK
08-07-12, 07:59 PM
Hey All..

I have just upgraded the old XJ to a 2007 JK Unlimited and i need some recovery points
I will probaly just get the Mopar front hooks. (unless anyone has any other suggestions)

I have no tow-bar on the rear so i thought i should get something for the rear..
I found these Blackjack Welding ones n they look quite good.. does anyone have any experience with them?

http://www.blackjackwelding.com.au/our-products/jk-wrangler-2007-current?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage-ask.tpl&product_id=47&category_id=2

Thanks Guys...

Drew
P.s If anyone is looking for a 1994 Cherokee XJ Sport let me know.
I will post it in for sale section soon

I think you're on the right lines RE recovery points. This is exactly what I was thinking of doing.

The Mopar front hooks are the only tow hooks available for the front of the JK that fit with a stock bumper as far as I know. They are also supposed to be rated. To fit them correctly they need to go up through the bumper so you need to cut holes in bumper (I think Mani has already done this) but i was going to try an fit them upside down so they hang underneath instead. They will fit as I've heard of someone else doing this. It means that you don't have to cut your bumper and it looks neater for normal driving. The only issue is if the straps fall off them as the hooks are hanging down. I was going to try and see if I could fit a light spring clip to the end of them that would secure the strap.

For the rear, I've heard of a few folks on AJOR using the Blackjack ones and they get good reports. They seem to be relatively simple to fit, though again you need to cut holes through your bumper. The only problem I see with them is that I'll keep knocking my legs on them when I'm getting stuff in and out of the back but I guess I'll learn not to do that after a few painful attempts......to do something once can be an accident, twice maybe just careless but 3 times or more is just stupidity! A tow bar is probably easier to use for recovery but bearing in mind the JK is only rated to tow 2300Kg and a stuck JK (or a stuck anything else for that matter) will likely effectively weigh more than that, using an equaliser strap between these 2 chassis mounted recovery points will be a lot better for your JK.

As I say, this is exactly what I was going to do to mine, I just haven't got around it it yet.

bigblue
09-07-12, 10:45 PM
Thanks for the feedback Paul..
I just ordered them.. hopefully they get here soon!
I need them before i can go out and get the new JK dirty :)

Drew

vk2icj
09-07-12, 11:02 PM
I dont have blackjack recovery points but I do have his rear bar. It is absolutely built like a tank. I am most sure that it will outlast the Jeep. I am sure that you will be happy with Viktor's work

Paul-JK
10-07-12, 08:41 AM
Thanks for the feedback Paul..
I just ordered them.. hopefully they get here soon!
I need them before i can go out and get the new JK dirty :)

Drew

Hey Drew,

Don't let that stop you getting out and having some fun. Yes, it's advisable to get some proper recovery points (and I should have done it a long time ago) but light recoveries from the factory points are OK. You probably want to apply a little discretion when choosing tracks and lines but you can still get out there and have some fun. You might want to avoid knee deep thick muddy bog holes that'll suck you down to your sills as snatching out of them may well overload the factory points but snatching on slippery tracks where you've lost traction rather than getting stuck will be OK.

Let us know how you get on fitting your recovery points as it's on my list of things to do over the next few weeks.

Paul

reyzor
10-07-12, 09:07 AM
recoveries from the factory tie down points are a big no no......... sure a gentle pull would be ok, but how do you know the forces needed to pull another car out? how are you to know that your car wont require a big pull?

safest bet is to have recovery points designed for recovery........

Paul-JK
10-07-12, 11:07 AM
safest bet is to have recovery points designed for recovery........

Hey Rey, I agree 100%. I was more implying that with a little discretion there's plenty of places to get out and have some fun without the risk of getting into a situation where you need to be dragged out.......get out there and enjoy driving the JK, just use some common sense as the where/how you do it.

reyzor
10-07-12, 12:04 PM
me personally, i owuldnt head out where i need low range without recovery points......

SteveC
11-07-12, 05:38 PM
Rey - have you been out?

bogged
16-07-12, 05:13 PM
no, But he's come out!