PDA

View Full Version : Front and rear bars Aust Design standrds

ShaneA
24-07-12, 01:15 AM
Hi Guys,

A question was posed which interested me as i about to purchase a front and rear bar second hand. A friend just had done the same and was then told "It may no meet Aust Design Standards"

So the question is " For any NON-Factory bar [ front or rear] how does one verify compliance with Aust safety standards?" This question also includes ARB and TMJ.

Do commercial outlets provide an engineering certificate stating compliance with road legality [ nsw primarily] ?

Could a commercial outlet simply leave all the onus to the driver Citing " the bar is intended for OFF ROAD use only."?

Curious about peoples thoughts.

Shane.

reyzor
24-07-12, 08:01 AM
the only front bars that i know of being ADR comliant are the ARB, TJM, MOPAR, and DBOR.......

ShaneA
24-07-12, 01:05 PM
thx reyzor,

A friend recently bought the rugged ridge bars, and I hear that the company he bought them from are currently looking into the certification.

reyzor
24-07-12, 01:22 PM
every company is "looking into it".............. whether they follow through with it or not is another story

Wooders
24-07-12, 02:48 PM
every company is "looking into it".............. whether they follow through with it or not is another story
Problem is that the process is very convoluted & Time consuming. Worse for every "authority" you talk to you'll get a different answer.
Technically speaking no aftermarket bumper is ADR Certified, just that they do or do not comply with the rules.
Any certification is done on a specific vehicle basis.
Then there is the Australian Standards that need to be adhered to. These rules can't be just downloaded, but need to be purchased. And this included marking/placarding - which interestingly I have not found an any of the other brands (inc ARB) I have inspected recently.
Basically these rules are a crock of shyt that protect the big players and make it all but impossible for small players to certify small volume bumpers.
Now ask me what I really think of it ;)

reyzor
24-07-12, 04:44 PM
haha, i knew id get a rise out of you......

ShaneA
25-07-12, 01:16 AM
Thx Wooders, i am imagining what you REALLY think of it.
:smile-new: