PDA

View Full Version : Gutter mounted roof racks for JK 4 door

Ash74
04-08-12, 04:24 PM
G'day

Want to purchase a canoe that weights roughly 35kg for a northern NSW touring trip, can anyone advise if the hardtop with gutter mounted roof racks will be ok to carry this type of weight?

Paul-JK
05-08-12, 12:27 PM
I'll be honest and say I've no idea what the gutters are rated to but I don't think I'd put any faith in them for supporting anything. The JK hard top is only rated to carry a very small load anyway and I think the gutters are literally just that....a way of channelling the water (straight through the front door as soon you open it usually!) rather than a method of attachment for anything. Also remember it's not just a case of supporting the static load. You need to have sufficiently strong fixings (and sufficient strength in the hard top) to cope with the forces of the wind trying to rip your canoe off the roof when you're doing 100km/hr down the freeway. That will likely place more load on the roof than the static load of the canoe will. All in all I'd be nervous trying it.

reyzor
06-08-12, 10:29 AM
have a look at the mbrp racks...... a club member runs them on his jk...... ive stood on it, shook it hung off it, couldnt get it to budge.........