View Full Version : Having issues with my TJ

Steven.Boyd
28-08-12, 09:22 PM
After the weekend i am having some issues with my TJ

On the trip I had an issue with the engine being very lumpy and not idleling, switched the car off and then started it and it was fine.
Now the engine idles really high and the check engine light is on.

There was also a stance noise coming from the transmission and or drive train ?

Any help would be appreciated

DLE068
28-08-12, 09:50 PM
You got to stay away from them bog holes mate. There really not worth the problems they can cause.

Steve F
28-08-12, 09:50 PM
Do you have a scan gauge, you can get the code if you do, if not there migh be someone near you in the club that does?

Cheers
Steve

Steven.Boyd
28-08-12, 09:58 PM
No i do not have a scan gauge.

Dose any one have a scan gauge i can use ?

Steve F
28-08-12, 10:17 PM
I have one but might be one closer to you, I'm just past Hornsby. Your welcome to plug it in and read the codes if it helps though. I'll be at Rydal on Saturday and at the club AGM next week.

Cheers
Steve

Steven.Boyd
28-08-12, 10:24 PM
I am in Guildford. It's a little far to go but if I can't find one closer I will be at the agm next Wednesday

SteveC
28-08-12, 10:45 PM
Steve. I know yr a bit in a hurry need for one. You just need the codes which shld identify the core issues
But some jeeps can read codes by certain means in my case i turn the igition on/off three times to give codes
Else i hve one you can borrow that works with a pc and bluethooth connection
Steve

Steven.Boyd
28-08-12, 10:58 PM
I did try the on off on off on but didn't get any thing come up on the dash

How dose the one you have work ? The issue is I run Mac

SteveC
29-08-12, 09:30 AM
Steven
Read post #5
http://www.wranglerforum.com/f5/dash-light-on-6446.html

Heidi
29-08-12, 11:04 AM
Steven we have a scan gauge and are at Greystanes

Steven.Boyd
29-08-12, 11:06 AM
Hi Heidi

Thank you can you please PM me your number so i can give you a call to organise to borrow it

Thank you

Steven.Boyd
29-08-12, 07:32 PM
The following codes come up on the dash
12 24 21 55

Any ideas ?

SteveC
29-08-12, 07:44 PM
Steve. It shld be inlots of 4 numbers

Steven.Boyd
29-08-12, 08:56 PM
Need help turning the codes in to laymans tearms and what to do to fix them

12 Direct battery input to PCM was disconnected within the last 50 Key-on cycles.

21 Upstream oxygen sensor response slower than minimum required switching frequency. Upstream oxygen sensor heating element circuit malfunction. Downstream oxygen sensor heating element circuit malfunction. Downstream oxygen sensor input voltage maintained above the normal operating range. Oxygen sensor voltage too low, tested after cold start. (Upstream or Downstream) Left oxygen sensor input voltage maintained above the normal operating temperature.

Steven.Boyd
29-08-12, 08:58 PM
24 Throttle position sensor input above or below acceptable voltage. TPS signal does not correlate to MAP sensor.

I guess this means I need a new TPS sensor

Steven.Boyd
29-08-12, 11:36 PM
I have tried doing some tests and this is what i have come up with

did the on off on off on test an got the following codes 12 24 21 55

so i unplugged the Throttle Position sensor and tried it again and the same numbers came up

The engine idled at normal RPM with the TPS unplugged but was very lumpy

Then tried a Scan Gauge and got the following codes PO123 & PO132 still with the TPS unplugged

Cleared the codes on the scan gauge and scanned again and it came up with no codes

Pluged the TPS back in and engine idled at around 2000-2300 RPM

Tried the on of on of on again and it came up with 12 55

Strange that TPS (error 24) didn't come up with the car idling that high

What should i do now and what do the codes mean? and how do I fix it

Will2003tj
30-08-12, 12:03 AM
it sounds very much like the TPS just from the symptoms. Go figure though, my tj through a tps code on the weekend and was jerky / idling high later in the day.

Although today the engine light went off and all seems normal for now.

It is most likely dust / water on the TPS connector or computer connectors. Take the connectors off on both and give them a clean and a spray with wd-40 or another electrical contact improver. Disconnect the battery negative terminal and leave for a minute. This should clear the computer of power and reset some of its memory.

The TPS units are very simple and really i don't understand how they could fail. They are a very simple hall effect sensor. However i have replaced mine anyway for peace of mind. They are much cheaper to get form the states if it comes down to it from somewhere like rockauto.com

PO 132 according to google is an oxygen sensor fault code. Again clean the connectors and reset the computer as above and see what happens... you may be lucky.

Cheers

Will2003tj
30-08-12, 12:07 AM
this is sounding more and more like a dodgy connection to the computer. The fact that you had an error of power supply to the pcm indicates over a bump etc the connection to the computer has wobbled loose and also created other faults linked to the same connector.

Hunno
30-08-12, 12:29 AM
or the battery has been disconnected lately

SteveC
30-08-12, 09:05 AM
Steve - what the guys said all ,all make sense

I agree the TPS could be the problem. While my Jeep is different, I had problem with the TPS, cleaned it and still problem persisted until I replaced it from and never had a problem with it again. Because you hit a bit of mud & water on weekend I suggest a good clean and WD40 is a good idea. I also hit the OS sensor on a trip with an errant stick I suspect which gave me errors too. It had to be replaced at the time

Steven.Boyd
30-08-12, 10:03 AM
I Looked on rockauto.com and they are well priced. I am going to replace the TPS and the O2 oxygen sensors but i think there is two Upstream and Downstream.

A little confused as what ones to get and what brand.

Heidi
30-08-12, 11:30 AM
We tried the none mopar o2 sensors and they pretty much destroyed them selves we ended up replacing with the mopar ones there are 4 different ones needed

Will2003tj
30-08-12, 12:33 PM
how many k's on your jeep steve?

Steven.Boyd
30-08-12, 01:45 PM
a little over 159,000km