PDA

View Full Version : Diff Lock to suit KJ front diff ?

onewing
14-09-12, 06:04 PM
I have a 06 KJ Renegade 2.8 crd, auto gearbox and want to fit a diff lock in the front diff but not sure which way to go Auto Lokka or ARB. Has anybody fitted one to this model ?

glend
14-09-12, 07:27 PM
Suggest you don't bother. If you want a locker put it in the rear. The front diff is a D30A (the A is for aluminium, and thus the diff housing is not as strong as the steel version, and they have been known to break with a locker putting increased strain on it). There is a Detroit locker that fits the D30A in the front if you feel you must try it. That said, if you have a 2006 then you probably have ''brake locked diff" which uses the ABS wheel speed sensors to work out which wheel to brake to feed more torque to the opposite wheel on the same axle. For many people this 'traction control' works well enough. With the CRD you have heaps of torque to play with, but remember for braked lock diff to work best you need to apply power when faced with slipping so that the braked lock diff function will kick in.

onewing
14-09-12, 08:17 PM
Suggest you don't bother. If you want a locker put it in the rear. The front diff is a D30A (the A is for aluminium, and thus the diff housing is not as strong as the steel version, and they have been known to break with a locker putting increased strain on it). There is a Detroit locker that fits the D30A in the front if you feel you must try it. That said, if you have a 2006 then you probably have ''brake locked diff" which uses the ABS wheel speed sensors to work out which wheel to brake to feed more torque to the opposite wheel on the same axle. For many people this 'traction control' works well enough. With the CRD you have heaps of torque to play with, but remember for braked lock diff to work best you need to apply power when faced with slipping so that the braked lock diff function will kick in.

Thankyou for that glend, the diff is aluminium, so i'll leave it as is. I did think the traction controll would be a good help.