PDA

View Full Version : Big Touring Trip 2013

glend
07-10-12, 12:10 PM
With the amount of time required to plan for a big touring trip it is probably time to discuss the big trip for 2013. Understandably, there was not one this year, but I know some people are keen to get back out into the iconic long distance trip next year.

I have had a few chats with DaveG about possible destinations/routes for a 2013 touring trip, and I know he has some ideas. I'd like to hear from the tourers among us to gauge the interest and ideas.

I'm keen to spend more time in the 'deep north' like the outback (Birdsville to Boulia via the Erye Development track), Mt Isa to Burketown and the Savanah Way, etc; but we also have some unfinished business from the 2012 Desert Trip (where the rain curtailed the Corner Country segment.

What are other people thinking?

Dave
07-10-12, 12:31 PM
Nice one Glen! There certainly was talk about trips in 2013 (and possibly another Cape trip in 2014 with the SBR Gang from WA, but that's for later) at Jambo.

I have heard interest in both Vic Highlands and Tasmania, but I don't know Victoria very well, although there are people in the club that do, and MJOC said if anyone was interested to get in touch with them. Tassy would be great, and I know Hunno was interested (although possibly end of 2013?). I would think that these would be Summer trips because of weather conditions, does anyone have ideas about this...

I also had a chat with some friends of mine from outside the club who are interested in running a "Mallee Country" trip in the Vic / SA border region. This would take about a week, but could easily be extended up past Mungo and Menindee into Corner Country, possibly an extended Easter trip now that Camp Coffs is on the September long weekend?

North of Birdsville would be new territory to me, but the Hay River track running North from Poepple Corner looked brilliant on the 4x4 Action DVD last year! This would possibly be a winter destination - again weather and time to organise (Desert Parks and Aboriginal Land Permits for Hay River...)

So many possibilities! Discussions needed!

SteveC
07-10-12, 02:41 PM
I have not been touring to the "real" outback and I'd like to visit Birdsville after reading about it in a book about a journalist who with his wife spent a whole year there. Fascinating stuff/
So that area or there about's would interest me Glen. but open to suggestions

glend
20-11-12, 04:34 PM
Just bumping this back up to the top so that it stays in view.

Watched a recent series of videos of a bunch of 4Wds following the Burke and Wills route from the Corner Country to the Gulf, Burketown, Kurumba, area etc and it seems like a beaut trip.

Hoping that others are thinking about a 2013 trip .

SteveC
20-11-12, 05:40 PM
Glen - Funny you should mention it now.
I'm in the process of planning a trip over to Birdsville via Broken Hill, Cameron Corner in Aug 13. Perhaps if time permits to visit Alice and surrounds...then return
Takes a lot of planning, I can tell you
Steve

Hunno
20-11-12, 08:05 PM
I also had a chat with some friends of mine from outside the club who are interested in running a "Mallee Country" trip in the Vic / SA border region. This would take about a week, but could easily be extended up past Mungo and Menindee into Corner Country, possibly an extended Easter trip now that Camp Coffs is on the September long weekend?

So many possibilities! Discussions needed!

A week to 10 days for this trip would be good.

would keep the costs down for the tighter budgeted members who would like to try out touring.

Miraz
20-11-12, 08:09 PM
If someone brings a map of tassie to the next meeting then I'm sure we can find something that will keep us all entertained...

ick72
20-11-12, 08:45 PM
I will have to sit down with both Dave and glen as Kirsten and I want to tour and we would need to watch the budget during planning

Heidi
21-11-12, 09:55 PM
We are considering an Easter run down to the vic high country leave Thursday night back Monday afternoon/evening - any one else keen?

Dave
22-11-12, 06:33 PM
Lots of interest, destinations and dates! COOL!!

If we are all heading to the Christmas Party, that would be a good chance for a chat!

What I hadn't realised is that Easter is two weeks before the April School Hols - which is when I have free time, as well as July and Sept/Oct school hols. If they suit people then we can work out something. My 2 cents, if you want to do the Vic Highlands, sign up with Heidi!! Wish I could tag along, but can't at Easter.

ick, the main cost in touring is vehicle prep and fuel! We usually aim to camp in caravan parks or in the bush - cheap. Food is always up to you, cook own or eat out - which is not possible unless in a town...

Hunno, if a Western NSW/Vic Mallee, or Corner Country trip sounds good, lots of beaut scenery, and pubs :-)!

Please bring ideas and questions on December 2nd and/or December meeting, lets get ideas happening!

Dave

reyzor
23-11-12, 11:25 AM
mallee is a great area...... i was there earlier in the year down at sea lake.........

SteveC
23-11-12, 07:58 PM
As mentioned - I and the wife ARE leaving around end of July for 3 weeks. We won't be camping (thus less to carry but of course more pricey but only way to drag the wife out there) finding accommodation along the way be it cabins, motel or what ever. What are people's thoughts on that idea?
My main concern is how long does it take to travel some of those tracks as while they look short on the map - they could take a whole day....

ick72
23-11-12, 09:16 PM
we find it easier to stay at c parks due to our health but thats just us

glend
24-11-12, 05:07 PM
SteveC yes there is accomodation available in Park Cabins in most of the established caravan parks, but keep in mind that your are going in peak season and bookings will be essential. Try to get a hold of the SA and NT tourist bureas to get your hands on their caravan park guides. You could also try the ExplorOz website for info on caravan parks there. What is your planned route, most distances are doable in a day from accomodation to accomodation but it may not be 5 star.

SteveC
24-11-12, 06:41 PM
Glend
Thanks for your feedback
Planned route is Sydney/Cobar/Broken Hill/Tibooburra/Cameron Corner then either Innaminck via walkers crossing to Birdsville or Strelecki Track to Lyndhurst to Birdsville.
THEN
If time allows on to Alice Springs to see the usual bits but not sure of which way yet to Alice. After that then take the easier main routes back to Sydney
That's the rough plan so far. So if you have any suggestions - bring them on.....

Dave
26-11-12, 10:18 PM
Steve, plenty of caravan park or motel/hotel accommodation in Cobar, Broken Hill and in Tibooburra. There is not a lot at Cameron Corner - its a roadhouse with a camping ground and maybe a couple of pretty ordinary cabins (sheds). Innaminka is an easy one day drive from Tibooburra with Cam Corner a good lunch stop if you choose to do that, but book a room at Innaminka Hotel ASAP, otherwise you will be camping. Likewise in Birdsville. Honestly can't remember if the caravan park has any cabins! Otherwise its the Birdsville Hotel, book ASAP (now). As Glen said July is peak season! Oh and Innaminka is a good 400km, 1 day drive from Birdsville via Cordillo Downs - the way we went in 2010. Via Walkers crossing is longer and slower (if passable, walkers Crossing does get closed at the first hint of rain). Via Lyndhurst on the Strez, I'd suggest one day to Lyndhurst, one day to Mungerannie (well worth the stay, but need to book a cabin) and a day to Birdsville.

Between Birdsville and Alice Springs, I assume you are heading North through Bedourie and Boulia? My map shows caravan parks in both those towns, but can't comment on accommodation quality. From Boulia west to Alice on the Plenty Hwy (dirt), my map shows about 800km of not much. Fuel yes, and camping, but nothing more than that.

I'll bring my maps to the Chrissy Party and next meeting, but again as Glen suggested, you need to get planning and booking really soon in the new year! SOUNDS LIKE A GREAT TRIP!

Dave

SteveC
27-11-12, 08:06 AM
Dave
Thats very generous and would be very helpful
Steve

glend
27-11-12, 10:27 PM
As Dave has pointed out the route from Birdsville to ALice is a long one as you'd have to go up and then over on the Plenty Highway (corrugated most of the way), and you would likely have to camp somewhere as 800kms in one day on that track is pretty difficult. A better choice if you have to get to ALice might be to follow the Stez down to Lyndhurst and then go up the Oodnadatta track where you can stop at William Creek (book of course) and then on to ALice. It's seems to me that you'd need to decide how important Birdsville is in comparison to Alice, in the time you have.

SteveC
28-11-12, 10:19 AM
Glend - Birdsville is a priority. has been on my bucket list for many years.

I like your suggestion and thinking. It all depends on timing I suppose. The difficulty (which you and Dave have helped) is the timing between places, so I'm able to book ahead.
I'm sure it will be easier once I speak with you about your experiences etc

glend
28-11-12, 11:32 AM
Sure thing. When your working out your possible distances per day remember that it is often very difficult to achieve highway type speeds on these tracks, and really anything over about 80kmph can get really uncomfortable (and dangerous) when your sitting up on top of the corrugations. As Dave wil remember, we saw a new Nissan Patrol at the Copley caravan park that had rolled off the road on a turn on the track out to Level Post Bay on Lake Eyre - busted out all the windows, luckily he rolled it in the sand. He was up on top of the corrugations and just had no control when it came to the turn.