PDA

View Full Version : JK Roof Rack

SteveC
10-11-12, 10:21 AM
Can others please let me know which roof rack they have/recommend for their JK?

There are several on the market and with varying designs etc.

Your advice is appreciated

Paul-JK
10-11-12, 12:02 PM
Hi Steve,

I don't have one so can't recommend any specifically from experience but I would think it largely depends on what you want from it.

If you want it to work with both hard and soft tops then it needs to be a cage style. Gobi has a good reputation but are damned expensive. Locally made Macquarie 4x4 do one as well. Most of this style mount to the windscreen mounts at the front. Some, like the Gobi mounts to the chassis at the back I think, and the Macquarie sits on top of the tub (between the tub and the hard top), but others require drilling through the side of the rear quarter panels to mount them which I've never been keen on. There's a guy on AJOR designing some up at the moment that are also tub mounted and with all of the R&D he's putting into them they should be good as well.

If you want it to only work with the hard top then there are a few more options, and these look neater as they don't need the windscreen mount supports, but the down side is they require you to drill through the hard top. Some people just mount straight to the hard top but this won't support much weight at all. Some, like MBRP go through the side of the hard top with an internal structure of sorts and others mount through the top of the hard top and fix with brackets to the roll cage (which I think I prefer). There is another guy posting on AJOR (OUT4X4) who are just developing some that look interesting, and I think they've just launched them at SEMA. They use an internal structure in the rear I think, combined with a capping piece that also sits in the gutters of the hard top. This will then presumably transfer any weight more into the sides of the hard top rather than onto the top of the hard top which seems like a good idea. This then accepts standard Rhino racks. One big advantage for me of this is that you can take the Rhino racks off when you don't want them (and they are individual bars so they easy to take off and easy to store, unlike a full cage) and the parts that are left on the JK are hardly noticeable and won't add too much to the height or the wind resistance/noise.

There are certainly quite a few out there though. I keep looking at getting one and if push came to shove I think I'd probably end up spending the money on a Gobi. They have a good reputation, look good (at least in comparison to the competition) and don't require drilling of the hard top which I'd be nervous doing knowing how much a replacement will set you back.

redrubi
10-11-12, 12:19 PM
G-Day Steve,

Baja Racks make one, but at this point you can only fit it on the hard top. Chris from Baja Rack had them at Jambo(and sponsored us!) so it could be worth giving him a look. From what I saw they seem to be quite solid. He had 5 people standing on the one he had mounted on his FJ.

Cheers

Andy

rupicon
10-11-12, 02:41 PM
I have fitted the kargo master to shells JKU the good pionts imo are no drilling, tip it back by undoing just 2 bolts (to take off hard top etc) take the hole thing off by

removing just 4 bolts. its very practicle i have their cross bars on it which are perfect for surfboards and kyaks
On the down side it is a bit high and needs some rubber stoppers or something like that to stop contact with the windscreen( if your going extreme)
I need to cut down the drivers side bracket because it pushes the snorkle out wide(safari)
Maby not the best rack for touring but possibly the best for boads etc
I liked the look of the Baja racks look better and more touring style but did not see them when i was looking for one

SteveC
10-11-12, 03:42 PM
Thanks Guys for your input.

From my initial research. The Baja seem to be of good reputation but at $1900 ! They are at the TOP price range. So is the Gobi, so depending on the results of my research, I may have to look at these & convince the finance director. Their advantage is that in the future you can transfer them to another wrangler or on-sell them with out any evidence.

I also noted the Gobi and their features and I like the look of the Garvin (though some drilling required & only with hard top but that may not be a major problem when touring) but details & images are scarce.

I primarily want to carry 2-3 jerry cans and an extra spare tyre/wheel for an extended trip we are planning for next year to Broken Hill/Birdsville/Alice Springs etc. That should weigh about 80-90kgs, well below most rated racks.

Steve

shefy
10-11-12, 03:50 PM
What about a roof cage from Rhino? There's one just for the Wrangler size, no drilling required. if you want a photo to look at I can send you one as I have fitted one on my hard top (TJ)

SteveC
10-11-12, 03:58 PM
Shefy, unfortunately the JK has to be drilled to use their track system.. Not what I'd like to do
Thanks anyway

shefy
10-11-12, 04:03 PM
Never seen the top of the JK's hardtop, they don't have those channel tracks along the top?

shefy
10-11-12, 04:14 PM
I have set it up for a big road trip I did back in May to Cape Tribulation - NT - Sydney, it is now off the roof as I cannot get into my underground carpark.

It is now an easy two minute job to put it on or take it off.

oldman
11-11-12, 09:40 PM
I had a kargo master on my unlimited. Impacted the windscreen and splintered the glass on Ann Beadell track.

I enquired about Rino prior and they are not rated for heavier type loads because the sit on the hardtop.

At Jambo, Andrew from Thermocore showed me a rack he's developed. It was impressive, is compatable with Rino fittings, and didn't use all the external pipework of Yankee & others. He has tested it with loads similar to what you intend to carry. It would be worth giving him an e-mail. I would if I was looking for another.

Cheers

SteveC
12-11-12, 11:26 AM
Oldman - I heard about issue about that make too, Thanks

Hunno
12-11-12, 01:15 PM
I know Baja have 4 door JK in stock as I was there today

SteveC
12-11-12, 01:48 PM
Thanks Hunno - mate you're everywhere?
$2100 though!

Rhino
16-11-12, 11:58 AM
Ive got the Gobi rack and its awesome!!

If your in sydney your more than welcome to inspect.. I live in the inner west :)

SteveC
16-11-12, 09:11 PM
Thanks Rhino

To accommodate substantial or even moderate weight off-road, I'm tossing between the Gobi & Baja. All reports seem to be positive.

Many of the racks on the market are not recommended for offroad use from the literature/internet I read!

I have several months to hunt down a used version.....