PDA

View Full Version : KJ 06 2.8CRD blowby issue !!!!

onewing
15-12-12, 03:36 PM
I bought my 06 kj Renegade 15 months ago with 135000km on the clock from a Melbourne jeep dealer, it was a one owner with full service history. It now has 148000km on it and i have just discovered it has what seems to me as excessive blowby. After a short drive the other day i took the oil filler cap off while it was running and it was puffing out smoke and spiting oil out as well. Has anybody had this sort of problem? is it a common? and if it needs new rings ect roughly what would it to repair?
Any advice would be great.

glend
15-12-12, 10:36 PM
It has a crankcase ventilation valve on top of the head cover at the rear which is routed by hose back into the intake near the turbo, and this is the normal path for crankcase pressure. When the engine is running and you remove the filler cap you may be releasing the pressure that way instead of the valve. In a diesel your dealing with higher pressures than a petrol engine both in compression, boost and blowby. Importantly, does it drive ok? Do you have the service history? Was the timing belt changed prior to 100,000kms or five years in the engine? Is the coolant level constant and at the correct level?

onewing
16-12-12, 09:24 AM
It has a crankcase ventilation valve on top of the head cover at the rear which is routed by hose back into the intake near the turbo, and this is the normal path for crankcase pressure. When the engine is running and you remove the filler cap you may be releasing the pressure that way instead of the valve. In a diesel your dealing with higher pressures than a petrol engine both in compression, boost and blowby. Importantly, does it drive ok? Do you have the service history? Was the timing belt changed prior to 100,000kms or five years in the engine? Is the coolant level constant and at the correct level?

Thanks for that, i have the service history it was serviced every 10,000km and yes the timing belt was changed at the 100,000km service. The coolant level had stayed at the correct level up until the last few months, it has dropped about 1/2'' so far. Also Since I've had it I've been changing the oil every 5000km. Also in the last week I've but new glow plugs in { i got some of the Etecno plugs you put me onto, thanks } in putting them in i found the air intake had a far bit of oil in it and a lot of a thick black sludge in the air intake tube that you remove to put the plugs in. I believe some oil in there is normal but what about the sludge?
It does drive very well and has plenty of power.