PDA

View Full Version : Watagans

SteveC
30-12-12, 04:37 PM
++++++++++ POSTPONE DUE TO WEATHER+++++++++++++++

Have not been there for long time. Not sure about what's available to 4wding after hearing about many tracks being closed.

Can any one shed light on this ? I'll also try to contact the "park management" to get an update too. ALL Members are encouraged to put ideas forward, which is always appreciated.

Where -- , Watagans State and NP
When -- , Saturday 12 January 2013
Meet -- Old weigh station past Berowra on the Pacific Highway (PH) just before peeling back onto the F3.

Easiest access is 2nd exit off F3 after its start. After exit ramp, Turn R at T junction onto PH. Through Berowra and its 2Km further on.)

Time -- Meet at 8.30am

Grade --, C-B
Requirements -- recovery points Front/Rear, recovery gear, radio, food/drink of choice, camera.

This run is limited to -- Any

Further info contact --- Steve Cassano 0411853859 BUT D.K. will run this trip dependant on weather etc

Attending:

1. SteveC (95% out)
2. Skizzi
3. Mikeb
4. Shefy
5. D.K
6. Rhino
7. a_boogs
8. Nekked
9. ick72
10. Big Blue
12. Stefan

SKIZZI
30-12-12, 07:09 PM
Interested, love that place

mikeb
30-12-12, 08:31 PM
Im keen on going if you ever organise a trip. Never really been there and would love to go with someone that knows the place well.

shefy
30-12-12, 08:47 PM
I would be very interested doing this trip, only ventured a couple of times into the Laguna end a few years back and loved it.

nevscollop
30-12-12, 09:06 PM
Yep definitely interested!

Cheers,

Nick

Miraz
30-12-12, 10:04 PM
I did a little recent through Daniels pt rd and white mans a few weeks ago....it's in pretty good condition for a B/C trip at the moment

Rhino
30-12-12, 10:22 PM
Hi Steve

Count me in please.

Im planning a trip upto the watagans for another club ATM, what's the thoughts on-

- rope road
- prickly ridge road
- zig zag
- greens break road

these are trails that I have been told are "difficult", personally haven't been on them on would been keen to hear the club members opinions on quality/ suitability.
I'm currently waiting for Tony Vaughn to from the association to get back from holidays, I have been told that he knows Watagans really well and can offer local knowledge of these trails.. Once I have spoken to him ill post his reply.

Im also planning on running a reccie of these trails if any jeeps would like to join me around 5 or 6 January .

a_boogs
30-12-12, 11:07 PM
Yep im interested...

jbrad
30-12-12, 11:25 PM
Interested, yes. But need a date. Will you have sliders by then Steve? My memory of Watagans is that it was a grade higher than Wheeney Ck. Just a thought. That is where I decided to upgrade from plastic OEM steps. Lol

ick72
31-12-12, 07:26 AM
Was up there yesterday and looking around most of the tracks are open at this point but even main roads have lock gates erected . I lived on the coast most my life and was my play ground . Not sure of any hard tracks as only had a hour or so to visit if you are looking for b tracks I could be in dependent on dates

SteveC
31-12-12, 09:57 AM
Good response.
I suppose we can have a look around and see what's there, opened or closed. What about Saturday January 15? or Sunday 16th?
From my past "adventures" most tracks are fun with lots of twist and turns, which makes it interesting if you do not know what's around the corner, especially when you see endless muddy tracks that disappear into the distance

As Rhino mentioned there is also a few others I heard about such as Daniels Road, Old Mill Road, Wave Rock, Slippery Rock and Hell Hill (what ever that means) . It all depends on the closures that may or may not be in place.

Is any one able to lead this or shed more light? I remember Geoff took us once, starting at the back of the twin servo???

bigblue
31-12-12, 11:30 AM
Id be interested for sure Steve..

Drew

SKIZZI
31-12-12, 11:48 AM
Steve please check those dates again.
Saturday 15 is a Tuesday ???

Hunno
31-12-12, 12:41 PM
Yep, I should have the last part by then.lol & I'll meet you there

SteveC
31-12-12, 06:14 PM
Hmm. Yes it's 12th. Sorry about that chief...

Rhino
31-12-12, 10:50 PM
Im confirmed for the 12th.

jbrad
01-01-13, 10:30 AM
Sorry, committments that weekend. Bugger!

Nekked
01-01-13, 12:12 PM
Count us in....

Alex and Dani.

SteveC
01-01-13, 04:37 PM
I might do a recce this Saturday (or maybe Sunday) to check out some of my intended tracks. Any one want to come along an "unsanctioned run" day this Weekend, so we can have a smoother run for the following weekend with plenty of Jeeps.
Steve

Rhino
01-01-13, 07:00 PM
I might do a recce this Saturday (or maybe Sunday) to check out some of my intended tracks. Any one want to come along an "unsanctioned run" day this Weekend, so we can have a smoother run for the following weekend with plenty of Jeeps.
Steve

Yep, count me in Steve

shefy
01-01-13, 08:28 PM
Might worth mentioning that this date (Sat 12th) is also the movie night at Wooders 7:00pm

D.K.
02-01-13, 01:45 PM
Count me in, Steve. Where abouts in the Watagans are you thinking?
The Jilliby/Dooralong end is open at the moment. That is good for Whitemans, S&XBones, Zigzag, Tunks...

D.K.
02-01-13, 01:54 PM
Im planning a trip upto the watagans for another club ATM, what's the thoughts on-

- rope road
- prickly ridge road
- zig zag
- greens break road

Rope Road: A grade. Expect panel damage, Butt Crack is often winched
Prickly Ridge Road: Up till last year used to be 2WD. Lots of side tracks, but some have been blocked off and "vandalised" by authorities. CPT80, Tracks off SawPit are Good.
ZigZag: Excellent Track. Solid B on clean rock. Approach track is scrubby and can be boggy.
Greens Break Rd: Big Tree collapsed or felled across it. Impassable.

Dave K

reyzor
02-01-13, 02:11 PM
Rope road has always managed to take a car everytime we've done it.......

Miraz
02-01-13, 04:33 PM
I think rope rd is shut

SteveC
02-01-13, 04:42 PM
DK - Happy for you to lead & appreciate your experience.

I prefer to stay away from the A (possible panel damaging tracks). Personally do not really like to do the severe tracks but others may. Dave, there seems to be plenty that run off the main Watagans Forest road, so easy to access or ignore if that's the case & move on.

Dave, what you think of Daniels, whitemans ridge, Tunks Firetrail, Greens Break, Bowmans and (Farrells -think this is a worry)? I only read about these but they may be no good. They are mostly further north. I ask as I have been able to find where they start from.

REFER: http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&msa=0&msid=201017591305632934306.000498d1f711e8cc0ba66&t=h&z=11

5teve
02-01-13, 05:31 PM
in
thanks stefan

ick72
02-01-13, 07:05 PM
Don't mean to be harsh but what grade tracks should the trip be doing it was to be a d c b grading now talking of B roads

D.K.
03-01-13, 07:32 AM
Don't mean to be harsh but what grade tracks should the trip be doing it was to be a d c b grading now talking of B roads

:smile-new: Just replying to Rhino's questions:

"Im planning a trip upto the watagans for another club ATM, what's the thoughts on-

- rope road
- prickly ridge road
- zig zag
- greens break road"

D.K.
03-01-13, 07:44 AM
DK - Happy for you to lead & appreciate your experience.

I prefer to stay away from the A (possible panel damaging tracks). Personally do not really like to do the severe tracks but others may. Dave, there seems to be plenty that run off the main Watagans Forest road, so easy to access or ignore if that's the case & move on.

Dave, what you think of Daniels, whitemans ridge, Tunks Firetrail, Greens Break, Bowmans and (Farrells -think this is a worry)? I only read about these but they may be no good. They are mostly further north. I ask as I have been able to find where they start from.

REFER: http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&msa=0&msid=201017591305632934306.000498d1f711e8cc0ba66&t=h&z=11

Hi Steve,

some of the tracks you mention are close together while some are miles away from each other . So Whitemans, Tunks, Zigzag, S&XBones are close together (Dorralong) . Farrells 3 and Bowmans (aka Hell Hill) are close together (and are hard/very hard) but toward the NW of the SF. Miraz's trip back in 2010 - that was primarily Drury Lane - the mud rutted track - not sure of its gate status. The first track we did that particular day, the one with the off camber steps (Buanji Rd) is GONE - graded flat.
If we do a recce we can work something out to take in some milder tracks to keep everyone happy.

SteveC
03-01-13, 09:30 AM
DK, great input.
I remember that trip Miraz lead, it was a good one though I did snap my front prop shaft on the WJ CV design!

and others who are interested. Let's meet this Saturday do just do a recce, no real hard driving. I suggest meet at 10am at the back of the twin servos on the F3.
Let me know if that's OK with you guys or suggest another place/time.

ps Sorry I missed your call last night Dave.

Rhino
03-01-13, 09:47 AM
DK, great input.
I remember that trip Miraz lead, it was a good one though I did snap my front prop shaft on the WJ CV design!

and others who are interested. Let's meet this Saturday do just do a recce, no real hard driving. I suggest meet at 10am at the back of the twin servos on the F3.
Let me know if that's OK with you guys or suggest another place/time.

ps Sorry I missed your call last night Dave.

Good stuff, I'll be up there about 930 to grab some breckie beforehand, I'll have my cameraman on board this trip so a couple of side tracks might be called for to grab some footage ;)

D.K.
03-01-13, 06:36 PM
Sounds good. Im sure we can slip in something of interest along the way. See you guys at the Twin Servo then.

SteveC
03-01-13, 07:24 PM
Righto D.K. & rhino and any one else

ick72
03-01-13, 07:47 PM
We could be in but have to check back on Friday night

Miraz
03-01-13, 08:22 PM
Maybe - will see tomorrow

SteveC
04-01-13, 09:48 AM
Your company and input are welcome miraz

D.K.
05-01-13, 10:58 PM
As this was a recce trip and not an official club trip i wont go into much description.
4 Jeeps: Steve C., Rhino., D.K., Larry&Cliff. Thanks to Larry & Cliff for local knowledge.
Basically:

1. Buangi Rd - off camber steps graded flat, and gated at the end. Short hill climbs still intact at the "hairpin bend"
2. Track connecting Yambo & Docs Rd - OK, but treefall on joining Docs Rd. (C+.)
3. Side Track Loop with rutted hill climb off Lemon Tree - very good. (C+)
4. LemonTree Rd. Infamous Bog hole. Hole can be avoided with care.

Prickly Ridge Rd is now graded and no longer like a war zone.

Myself and Rhino: Tracks off Prickly Ridge - The 2 tracks in from lower entrance to SawPit (B-), CPT80 (B-), Dope Hill (C+)

Cheers

Dave K

Rhino
06-01-13, 01:48 PM
As this was a recce trip and not an official club trip i wont go into much description.
4 Jeeps: Steve C., Rhino., D.K., Larry&Cliff. Thanks to Larry & Cliff for local knowledge.
Basically:

1. Buangi Rd - off camber steps graded flat, and gated at the end. Short hill climbs still intact at the "hairpin bend"
2. Track connecting Yambo & Docs Rd - OK, but treefall on joining Docs Rd. (C+.)
3. Side Track Loop with rutted hill climb off Lemon Tree - very good. (C+)
4. LemonTree Rd. Infamous Bog hole. Hole can be avoided with care.

Prickly Ridge Rd is now graded and no longer like a war zone.

Myself and Rhino: Tracks off Prickly Ridge - The 2 tracks in from lower entrance to SawPit (B-), CPT80 (B-), Dope Hill (C+)

Cheers

Dave K

great afternoon of wheeling Dave !! You have a very capable truck ;)

lets do it again sometime

SteveC
06-01-13, 08:32 PM
We did not take any photos but it was an eventful trip. For me any way.

It was only at the end that we (I) came to trouble but did not realise it until I got home. Dave and Larry were smart and went an 'alternative way' but Ryan and I decided to go up the guts of it. Big mistake though the mud hole.

Now kids - Lessons learnt:

1. Do not enter mud hole with roof off.
2. Check more thoroughly possibilty of possible damage.
3. do not be smart just because the toyota boys in front took 2 hours to extract their vehicle. mind you it was a troopy so pretty heavy thing!
4. Do not enter mud unless you want a high water bill next quarter.
5. ensure you think before you enter that mud hole.
6. ensure you think.....
7. make sure wife is busy somewhere else so the complaining is avoided.

The big problem, is that many track closures with gates, mounds and trees across entrances but more frustrating gates at the end of a track with no warning at the beginning.

Mind you there are still tracks that are interesting but you need to find them. Many are dead ends. no biggy but means you need to ensure there are areas to turn around, especially with a larger group.

A BIG THANK YOU to Larry and his mate Cliff. Dave also did a great job and without their assistance, it would be very difficult to enjoy your day at the Watagans
They know the area well.

which brings me to the final point for this Saturday's trip. I'll need to fix the fender before I venture out again. I need at least the 6 clips that hold the fender else it will flap around....., SO..... if Dave or Larry can lead this trip, then I and the others would be really grateful. The loop road we did with some nice climbs would be great to incorporate in the day

Steve
ps the wife just saw the fender. my ears hurt now!! and I got that look.

let us know

Bear
06-01-13, 09:32 PM
Steve, try" clips and fasteners.com"for the clips to hold the mudguard on.They are alot cheaper than getting the from Jeep.

redrubi
06-01-13, 09:35 PM
Steve,

REPCO sell a clip that will do the job, at a much cheaper cost than JEEP original! I too have misjudged the odd obsticle! LOL

Hunty knows another joint over his way (north syd).

hope this helps!!

Cheers

Andy:pirate:

SteveC
07-01-13, 04:53 PM
Thanks to Reg I ordered a pack of 25 from the States. Reasonable for OEM, $26 delivered. I'll just have to wait now....

Thanks Redrubi too

D.K.
08-01-13, 08:06 AM
SO..... if Dave or Larry can lead this trip, then I and the others would be really grateful. The loop road we did with some nice climbs would be great to incorporate in the day

let us know

Providing the S.F. isn't closed due to fire hazard i dont mind leading a trip.
I dont particularly want to cover the same ground as last week and in any case the locked gate at Buangi Rd stops that. If we can squeeze in that loop track then thats cool.
Ive got some tracks in mind - not too easy but not too hard, say around the C+/ B grade. A 2" lift, ideally 3" with rock sliders will see you right. As usual, personal recovery gear with rated vehicle recovery points.

Steve - if there is a large group, meeting at Thornleigh Maccas can get congested, esp on a saturday morning - the club usually uses the old weigh station past Berowra on the Pacific Highway (PH) just before peeling back onto the F3.

Easiest access is 2nd exit off F3 after its start. After exit ramp, Turn R at T junction onto PH. Through Berowra and its 2Km further on.

If Larry intends coming along then we could run a couple of different routes.

Any questions give me a call on 0434 848 482

*HOT CONDITIONS ARE RETURNING FOR THE WEEKEND SO WE WILL NEED TO CHECK THE STATE FOREST/NP ACCESS STATUS ON FRIDAY.*

Cheers

Dave

SteveC
08-01-13, 10:19 AM
Thanks Dave
Meeting point changed as suggested.

Hunno
08-01-13, 04:27 PM
I can't win a trick. I'm out again due to a family commitment

nevscollop
08-01-13, 07:23 PM
Guys im out for same reason as hunno! Sorry.

SKIZZI
09-01-13, 11:48 PM
Hi guys really sorry. Can not make this trip as much as I'd love too :( don't think I'll be back in syd to make it.

SteveC
10-01-13, 10:21 AM
Hi everyone

Due to the predicted high temperatures for this weekend and possibility of park closures, I think it best to postpone this trip for a few weeks.

Let me know your thoughts

Steve

SKIZZI
10-01-13, 10:29 AM
That be great for me thanks ;)

D.K.
10-01-13, 11:55 AM
Yeah, works for me.

ick72
10-01-13, 02:16 PM
Yep that could be better

Hunno
10-01-13, 08:45 PM
Hi everyone

Due to the predicted high temperatures for this weekend and possibility of park closures, I think it best to postpone this trip for a few weeks.

Let me know your thoughts

Steve

An EXCELLENT & Responsible call Steve.
Last thing SJC wants is to cause more problems to already stretched Emergency services.

Hunno
Club Trip Co-ordinator.

Miraz
10-01-13, 09:20 PM
An EXCELLENT & Responsible call Steve.
Last thing SJC wants is to cause more problems to already stretched Emergency services.

Hunno
Club Trip Co-ordinator.

Camp-fire and wood burning BBQ at your place instead?

SteveC
11-01-13, 10:48 AM
I will cancel this trip and post a new date:

Hunno
11-01-13, 11:07 PM
Camp-fire and wood burning BBQ at your place instead?

No need to bring the Wood as there's plenty here. Besides its Movie night at Wooders.

ick72
11-01-13, 11:59 PM
No need to bring the Wood as there's plenty here. Besides its Movie night at Wooders.
and a total fire ban

Rhino
15-01-13, 10:43 PM
I will cancel this trip and post a new date:

Hi Steve

Any thoughts on when the new date would be?

SteveC
16-01-13, 10:45 AM
Yes Rhino I was thinking about that this morning. Ill post a trip on new thread.