PDA

View Full Version : Help with a trailer repair

ick72
22-01-13, 06:04 PM
I have been supplied with a trailer and it runs 12 inch wheels my question is wheel hub can I change this to so I can make use of my old xj rims . Any help would be appreciated

Wallyd
22-01-13, 08:08 PM
Take your hubs off your axle, go to a trailer joint like Carrasel at Pendle Hill and they will tell you what bearings are used and will be able to sell you hubs to suit your wheel stud pattern, assuming they are available.

SteveC
22-01-13, 08:10 PM
You can normally change to any but it would probably require just a change of hubs with the required bolt pattern (check Clearance too) Could be more economical to get a new axle/hub kit perhaps
Ask any trailer supply company

ick72
22-01-13, 08:18 PM
The hubs at present are 4 stud ford cortina which is why I want to change to use the 15 inch jeep rims so only want to change the hub to suit the wheels if possible

Wallyd
22-01-13, 11:33 PM
Just take your hub to Carasel and a rim, and they'll fix u up.

glend
23-01-13, 11:18 AM
I agree with SteveC it might be an opportunity to upgrade the axle and hubs to suit. There is a Caravan parts place down Kogarah way that sells various axle types and wheels. What size trailer is it and what sort of springs (slipper, eye to eye, etc)? Is this going to be a campertrailer?

ick72
23-01-13, 12:22 PM
Its a 6x4 box I'm making and bolt on top with a flat lift up top to use as a table top for cooking etc all to be light weight so it can be taken on or off if needed . Needs to be lower cost

glend
23-01-13, 07:37 PM
Doesn't sound like you need alot of weight carrying capacity; the existing springs and axles will probalby be ok.

ick72
23-01-13, 08:45 PM
Yeah no much weight just easier to put tent table chairs and other camping stuff so the kj is still pretty much empty

oldman
24-01-13, 01:59 AM
you'll probably find Ford Falcon is same bolt pattern as XJ. Hubs drilled to Falcon pattern are common for trailer use. If by chance your hub is an orphan then an engineering company can redrill it.

Wooders
24-01-13, 10:52 AM
Have done this to a few box trailers.
Firslty most box trailers have pathetically weak axle tubes, I would strongly recommend getting a HD (square) axle with the correct end to to run Ford hubs (which is what you need)
Also be aware you will probably need more width - ie a new axle also makes sense. Be sure to calculate tyre size/ rim width/BS/offset and trailer size to get the idea axle width.
The you will most likely need more clearance - so a SOA is best done at the same time as fitting the new axle.
Lastly depending on the tyres - you'll probably need a little extra tyre coverage - oh yeah and if you need a blue slip you'll need longer mudflaps.....something just to keep in mind.

I've had good success with parts sourced from Carrasel at Pendle Hill

ick72
24-01-13, 01:39 PM
Ok thanks everyone going to measure and check axle and price a new one pre made . I will prob only run standard road tyres due to it not really being for offroad just to get stuff to and from camp (caravan parks and similar) kirst still isn't to keen on staying out in the bush