PDA

View Full Version : Rydal - Mt Walker Sunday 24 March 2013

Greg D
08-03-13, 09:39 PM
Where -Rydal area, Lidsdale State Forest, including Mt Walker, but entering from Great Western Highway opposite Wallerawang turnoff.

When - Sunday March 24, 2013

Meet - McDonalds Richmond (if anyone want to meet near Lithgow, let me know)

Time -7:15 am for a departure at 7:30 am sharp.

Grade B-, with the option of Mt Walker which may be a grade higher. I have a 2" lift & 31" tyres, and I have driven it all (except Mt Walker itself)

Requirements -- recovery points Front/Rear, recovery gear, radio, food/drink of choice, camera.

This run is limited to 12 vehicles including leader.

However, if we get more than 12 we can split the group into 2, doing a similar course. We can convoy up from Richmond in one group, then split when we air down.

Further info contact --- Greg Davies on 0416199410

This trip will use many of the tracks we used at Jambo/

It will include many of the tracks shown in this screenshot:

http://i1215.photobucket.com/albums/cc502/GRD54/8ad9bd3f29e1e3e49848954a3e5586ab_zps239a06a8.jpg

Attending:
1. Greg D
2. Steven Boyd *
3. redrubi - Andy & Charlene *
4. Steve F
5. Hunty - Hunty & Jax
6. dobbo56 - Dave
7. DLE068 - Dave Elliot
8. Miraz - Geoff
9. Flatfender - Ian
10. Shefy - Shefy Alon *
11. WallyD - visitor *

* Meeting at Rydal Showground Sunday morning

TRBN8R
08-03-13, 10:06 PM
:) I got day pass for the day from the home ministry..... Pls add me to the list........... Probably my 5 year old will be with me as well........

Steven.Boyd
08-03-13, 10:42 PM
I led three trips in there at jambo, I would bee keen to get back in there, There is also a climb just before the last climb to the top of Mt Walker that i want to try plus i have a lot of it mapped as well

D.K.
09-03-13, 12:36 AM
Greg, count me in.

redrubi
09-03-13, 01:40 PM
Yes please!!

jk1978
09-03-13, 03:51 PM
I want to go

Sandy

Steve F
09-03-13, 04:40 PM
Add me to the list, it's been a while.

Cheers
Steve

Hunty
09-03-13, 09:26 PM
Jax & I are in.

dobbo56
09-03-13, 10:18 PM
Love to tag along, please put me down, Doggy Dave..

Hunno
09-03-13, 10:31 PM
Yep, Hunno's in.

DLE068
10-03-13, 01:10 AM
Getting itchy feet put me down please

Miraz
10-03-13, 02:07 AM
Put me on the list...

Flatfender
10-03-13, 09:47 AM
Put my name down please.
Ian W.

Wolfe
10-03-13, 10:50 AM
Yep please

shefy
10-03-13, 01:26 PM
Put me down as well please.

Steven.Boyd
10-03-13, 02:29 PM
Just an idea. If we get a lot of interest we could split in two groups as I see more that 12 have indercated they will come.

Greg D
10-03-13, 09:35 PM
Just an idea. If we get a lot of interest we could split in two groups as I see more that 12 have indicated they will come.

I agree Steven. I have now incorporated this suggestion in my initial post.

Greg

jbrad
10-03-13, 11:26 PM
Put me up on the reserve list please

Steven.Boyd
10-03-13, 11:34 PM
I am planing on being up at rydel. Camping Friday and Saturday.

So I am happy to lead a group from there.

Wallyd
11-03-13, 11:39 PM
Are guests welcome??

Wolfe
12-03-13, 12:59 AM
Seeing as we may be running two groups then certainly. what do you drive?

ROK360
12-03-13, 01:29 AM
Well I am keen for this trip, the Waggie definitely needs some track time. Wife is asleep at the moment so I will have to check to see if I am already committed. Otherwise I will b there.

cheers

Wallyd
12-03-13, 10:14 AM
JK Rubicon on 33's 3inch lift. I'm a member of the Suzuki4WD Club

Steven.Boyd
12-03-13, 10:26 AM
Is there any one who is attending this trip that would be interested in the Mt Airle trip on the Saturday before and camping overnight at Rydal ?

Wolfe
12-03-13, 10:56 AM
I would be interested but will need to ask "she who must be obeyed" for permission

http://cdn.memegenerator.net/instances/400x/30415207.jpg

Maggie
12-03-13, 03:24 PM
Did anybody check out if fees are now required at Rydal .... there was talk of it at the meeting.

Wolfe
12-03-13, 03:28 PM
We can find out

Wallyd
12-03-13, 08:47 PM
Can I book in for this trip please. I'm also interested on the Sunday drive too.
Cheers
Walter

Hunno
14-03-13, 04:45 PM
I'm out now. No hope of Sunday. Still working on Mt Airlie

redrubi
16-03-13, 08:27 PM
Well???:confused:

TRBN8R
17-03-13, 07:02 PM
Sorry guys gotta pull out
:(.... That's my only weekend off during the Easter show.... Can't afford to disappoint my 5 year old......

Sent from my XT910 using Tapatalk 2

ROK360
19-03-13, 12:01 AM
Well I am keen for this trip, the Waggie definitely needs some track time. Wife is asleep at the moment so I will have to check to see if I am already committed. Otherwise I will b there.

cheers

Yep - Looks like I am good to go will more then likely have one of my boys with me - the one that I reckon will last the day without getting too bored.

See you Sunday morning.

Wolfe
22-03-13, 06:09 PM
Sorry I'm out

redrubi
22-03-13, 10:20 PM
Maybe this guy can show up!!2088

ROK360
23-03-13, 02:33 PM
Unfortunately there is a sudden interest in our camper trailer, have two parties coming tomorrow. So I will have to stay home and give the wife a hand, bugger.
Told her she was being a bit of a Princess.

Have fun.

jbrad
23-03-13, 06:14 PM
Sorry team, I'm out as of this morning. In limp mode to get to work. Have torn a 2 inch hole in one of the turbo hoses. Shopping for newbies now.

redrubi
23-03-13, 07:58 PM
We're still in!!!:eagerness:

jk1978
23-03-13, 08:20 PM
Sorry guys I am out something came up

Sandy

dobbo56
23-03-13, 09:03 PM
im in, see you all in the morning, DD...

Greg D
23-03-13, 09:14 PM
OK, If I have kept up with this, we will have 7 Jeeps meeting at Richmond McDonalds for a 7:30 departure, and meeting 4 vehicles at Rydal Showground.

Weather forecast is good, so looking forward to a great day Jeepin'.

Greg

Hunty
23-03-13, 11:32 PM
I'll be @Maccas 7:15am :)

Flatfender
24-03-13, 08:35 PM
Thanks for a great day out Greg - I realy enjoyed it.

I hope the problem I passed on Bells Line of Road on the way back was nothing serious, I can't hear my two way at main road speeds so I was passed before I could stop but I am sure with 3 or 4 Jeep nuts already stopped it would be handled well.
Cheers
Ian W.

Hunty
24-03-13, 08:40 PM
Greg :)
I really enjoyed the trip today, well lead, well planned - thanx heaps mate cheers Hunty

Cheffy, Maaaaaaaaaate :) great display of sphincter clenching driving LoL you truly have balls of titanium!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VNW1FeaSVKk

redrubi
24-03-13, 10:07 PM
Thanks Greg,

Another great day out! Got a text from Steve "on a flat bed heading home" poor bugger!!

Great Vid Hunty!!

redrubi
24-03-13, 10:23 PM
Hunty,

Check this out!

Emergency Do-it-Yourself Fan Belt Repair Kit by Victor Automotive

http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/preparednesscenter_2252_97099506
worth a look!

Steve F
25-03-13, 08:28 AM
Great day, I hope Steve got home OK....

Here's some video from my rooftop cam, the first two climbs. Switch it to HD for the best quality.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6p2uX9vISMg

Cheers
Steve

Steven.Boyd
25-03-13, 10:52 AM
Thanks Greg for a great day and some great tracks and some awesome climbs

A BIG thanks to all who stopped and assisted me, Hunty, Andy, Steve F, Greg, Shefy, Dave & Dave with a solid effort with bush mechanics that got me that little bit closer but unfortunately with the items on hand lasted a couple of hundred meters

Finally got it on a flatbed at 6:30pm and got it dropped of at the workshop just after 8pm. $900.00 towing fee later.

Now just waiting to get the quote for the repairs

Once again thanks to all who help.

Wallyd
25-03-13, 10:56 AM
What happened to it Steven?

Steve F
25-03-13, 11:00 AM
Thanks Greg for a great day and some great tracks and some awesome climbs

A BIG thanks to all who stopped and assisted me, Hunty, Andy, Steve F, Greg, Shefy, Dave & Dave with a solid effort with bush mechanics that got me that little bit closer but unfortunately with the items on hand lasted a couple of hundred meters

Finally got it on a flatbed at 6:30pm and got it dropped of at the workshop just after 8pm. $900.00 towing fee later.

Now just waiting to get the quote for the repairs

Once again thanks to all who help.

I bet the towing is a lot more than the repairs!!!! the belt and bearing for the pulley shouldn't cost too much.

Cheers
Steve

Hunno
25-03-13, 11:26 AM
Sh@t mate. That sucks. You should have called I would have grabbed a trailer and come got you. $900 is B/S. you could have joined NRMA for 2 year for $375 & they would have towed you.

Steven.Boyd
25-03-13, 12:20 PM
One of the pulley's decided to shit itself and the bering collapsed and got spat out, dropped the belt and shredded it.

So new pulley bering and a new belt and a very expensive tow truck

I have NRMA on the daily drive but not on the jeep, I think i should add the jeep to it to

It time to strip the TJ down for a full service and maintenance. A bit of TLC required

Wallyd
25-03-13, 12:32 PM
Hmmmm, remember I said it sounded odd. Not that u could have done anything

reyzor
25-03-13, 12:38 PM
did someone say v8 conversion?

Steven.Boyd
25-03-13, 01:05 PM
Would love to put a V8 in the TJ Just a little costly at the moment. Got other mods to do first

Steve F
25-03-13, 01:25 PM
One more video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mTUBjFYcurc&feature=youtu.be

Cheers
Steve

shefy
25-03-13, 02:16 PM
Greg :)
I really enjoyed the trip today, well lead, well planned - thanx heaps mate cheers Hunty

Cheffy, Maaaaaaaaaate :) great display of sphincter clenching driving LoL you truly have balls of titanium!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VNW1FeaSVKk
Thanks for the footage Hunty (and getting it up here before I even got home), sure looks a lot tamer from outside of the TJ for a while there I thought to myself "so this is what it's like in the shuttle" in the seat on your back looking at the sky..... Thanks to Wally for spotting me out of it. Balls of titanium or not I know it took a hot shower and another couple of hours to relax enough to finally un-clench my but cheeks and fall asleep. Thank you to Greg for leading an amazing track I have long wanted to do, a big thanks to Stephen who jumped out to spot for me on a couple of tight ones (my first experience with front lockers) and to Wally and thanks to all for a great day in great company in a beautiful location, hope to more of the same real soon. The only downer on an otherwise great day was Stephen's TJ doing a pulley and fan belt on the way home.
Hope to see you all again on the trails.

Shefy

SteveC
25-03-13, 07:37 PM
Nice action there Sheffy, Are you sure you meant to nearly put it on it's side (: ??

I wish I'd come along looked like a great time had by all but a 50th birthday was in the way boriiiinnnnggg

Greg D
25-03-13, 08:54 PM
Thanks for the comments, and for the video footage posted by Hunty & Steve. I had my new GoPro running, but it was on the dash and between the dust on the windscreen and the sun seemingly always directly ahead, my footage is not worth posting. Also, the advantage of leading (no dust) is offset by not having another Jeep in the movie.

A mini trip report:
Our group (Ian - Flatfender; Andy & Charl; Steve F; Doggy Dave, Hunty & myself) got away from Richmond at 7:40am (a few late drop-out and one no-show) and had a good run up Bells Line of Road, although a very long 60 zone and some fog slowed us a little. Straight through Lithgow & we aired down as we turned off the GWH opposite the Wallerawang turnoff. We were on a way by 9am, and took a windy route through the area formerly covered in pine trees, now more like a moonscape, with one short rutted climb to start.
Almost to the Rydal showground to meet up with the campers backing up from the Saturday trip (Steve Boyd, Dave Elliot, Shefy Alon & our visitor yesterday and newest member today, Wally) we encountered a very slow group of nine vehicles struggling up what I thought was a transit stage. A radio call to Steven, and they were on their way, while we doubled back to the next turnoff and only had to wait a few minutes for them to arrive, having been able to overtake the group of nine. Meanwhile, another group of eight vehicles (having a fun day after having done 4WD driver training) passed us on that same busy corner.

We then had a good run (doing the 2 climbs in Steve's first video - the second made famous by Maggie just prior to Jambo), until we caught the second group at the Coxs River section. We only waited a few minutes, then followed them through, and they pulled over to loop back, while we continued to Unimog Hill (Steve's second video), then down to the 'bog-hole' (by-pass in play - we even got a shouted warning from some fishermen not to go though the bog-hole). Then onto a steep rutted climb, where Shefy provided some action for Hunty's camera work, and then on to Mt Walker, where we had lunch at the mid-point.

A fairly standard run back to the GWH at the same point we entered, and on the bitumen to head home at about 2:15pm. Unfortunately for Steve B and pulley & fan belt stopped him, and a few of us spent about an hour watching Hunty, Steve & Andy play McGyver (while we watched). Glad to hear you made it home OK, Steven, albeit a bit lighter in the pocket.

Thanks to all who came along and made my first club trip as leader such good fun. I'll certainly be posting up some more trips soon.

Greg

Wallyd
25-03-13, 09:07 PM
My pov

http://youtu.be/ipGn4LSLCUA

http://youtu.be/wZrfoF8CytQ

shefy
26-03-13, 02:04 PM
Nice action there Sheffy, Are you sure you meant to nearly put it on it's side (: ??

I wish I'd come along looked like a great time had by all but a 50th birthday was in the way boriiiinnnnggg

It takes lots of practice, careful and meticulous planning and flawless execution...... what can I say, I could teach you the required skills but there's also the natural talent element to it :encouragement:

dobbo56
26-03-13, 03:39 PM
Great videos guys, thank you, certainly was some challenging tracks, only got caught once but managed to get up by myself. Top day out many thanks to Greg, the man has no fear. Doggy Dave...