PDA

View Full Version : Tool Box Day - 6th Apri l2013

Wooders
16-03-13, 10:23 AM
SJC Tool Box days are an open invitation to all members to do some wrenching on your Jeep or to help out someone else.
To be held at 4 Leighton Place Hornsby
From 9am till we finish ;)
So anyone got anything they'd like to add to the Job List

sfedek
16-03-13, 01:35 PM
Sounds good Mr Wooders, I am working till 12 & will head up then.
I am looking at spacing my Air con condensor a few inches forward away from my radiator & or taking out my thermo fan & putting two Thermo fans infront of the condensor. Hmmmm

See you then guys

Eddy

Wolfe
16-03-13, 01:38 PM
I need to fix my dodad and whatsamacalitt see you there

Steve F
16-03-13, 02:32 PM
I've got heaps to do, if the jeep is mobile I'll bring it up and work there :)

Cheers
Steve

redrubi
16-03-13, 07:59 PM
Mr Wooders,

Any news on the rock sliders???

Wooders
17-03-13, 08:54 AM
Mr Wooders,

Any news on the rock sliders???
Should be here before then - ideal task if wanna install them at ToolBox ;)

SteveC
17-03-13, 01:07 PM
I'd like to install my Rubber Mats,,,Will they be in yet?

Wolfe
17-03-13, 02:52 PM
too difficult a job you better get overkill to do that

Wooders
17-03-13, 03:29 PM
They are here.

Steve F
17-03-13, 05:24 PM

It's only one day, you might get the front in or maybe the rear but I doubt both. I've done it before if you need some assistance, I could work on the left while you do the right, the rights a bit harder as you have to get it around the peddles but other than that they are pretty much the same side to side ;)

Cheers
Steve

Wolfe
17-03-13, 06:21 PM
It's only one day, you might get the front in or maybe the rear but I doubt both. I've done it before if you need some assistance, I could work on the left while you do the right, the rights a bit harder as you have to get it around the peddles but other than that they are pretty much the same side to side ;)

Cheers
Steve
you guys are mad attempting to do such a complicated job like that, i can just see the disaster now, you'll get the side mixed up then ...................

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-tfNjEtOZ0Ao/TYA6mvEfk6I/AAAAAAAAAbg/r5J1FVTPB2Q/s1600/car%2Bexplosion.jpg

Wooders
17-03-13, 06:42 PM
And I thought Hunno was optimistic that we could convert wolfies old black XJ into a camper.

Wolfe
17-03-13, 07:23 PM
And I thought Hunno was optimistic that we could convert wolfies old black XJ into a camper.
Great idea Hunno and far more achievable, dont know what those knuckleheads were thinking

Wooders
17-03-13, 11:23 PM
If we get bored we can also start on the Car Trailer build ;)

SteveC
18-03-13, 10:25 AM
Thanks about the advice for my mats. I feel so relieved that I'll have professionals around , should we get there early just in case? what time will the shop be open?

chipper
18-03-13, 01:12 PM
So can you put me down to get ball joints replaced on toolbox day?
or is it too long/big job for this type of day?
chipper

reyzor
18-03-13, 01:39 PM
Thanks about the advice for my mats. I feel so relieved that I'll have professionals around , should we get there early just in case? what time will the shop be open?

wouldnt this task affect warranty?

Miraz
18-03-13, 02:01 PM
Not if it is signed off by a suitably qualified engineer

SteveC
18-03-13, 06:38 PM
Don't tell any one but I fitted the mats today under the secrecy of darkness and sourced them from a strange fellow type bootlegger that runs out of the Hornsby area, but keep it quiet. shhhhh!

ps he was very supportive with his instructions,

redrubi
18-03-13, 11:30 PM
I'm telling!
Steve it wasn't this man was it2086?

Wolfe
18-03-13, 11:41 PM
I'm telling!
Steve it wasn't this man was it2086?
He's totally denying any involvement what so ever. Solicitors have been called. >:(

ROK360
19-03-13, 12:06 AM
I would love to come along - put me down for 'stopping the oil leaks in the 360'.

What am I thinking, this is probably a bit too much to ask.

Hunno
19-03-13, 01:07 AM
I would love to come along - put me down for 'stopping the oil leaks in the 360'.

What am I thinking, this is probably a bit too much to ask.

Tell him "His Dreaming"!

Hunty
19-03-13, 08:58 AM
Technically speaking under current NSW RTA POS rules you need an engineers cert to change the radio station.

DanD
19-03-13, 09:21 AM
Would it be possible (time wise, etc) to put in a terraflex leveling kit or ~2" budget boost kit? ($180 and $320 kits @ dbor respectively)

TRBN8R
19-03-13, 04:36 PM
Would it be possible (time wise, etc) to put in a terraflex leveling kit or ~2" budget boost kit? ($180 and $320 kits @ dbor respectively)

I can install for you in my drive way on monday if u want..... I am at Glendenning near Blacktown.......

Mani

reyzor
19-03-13, 04:37 PM
mani, you are a scholar amongst gentlemen......

TRBN8R
19-03-13, 05:14 PM

I just had a look at the kits u mentioned.... I think u will also need longer shocks there.... Can some one more qualified chime in because I think the stock shocks will become the limiting straps for the suspension............

U r better off asking Wooders for price on a decent 2" kit including atleast shocks, springs, extended bump stops, brake line relocation, control arm relocation brackets and disconnecting front sway bar links........ and probably put it on lay by........

Something like this

http://www.wooders.com.au/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=370_40_168_415&products_id=82

Probaby will be a bit cheaper for club members.......

Cheers

Mani

DanD
19-03-13, 09:25 PM
I just had a look at the kits u mentioned.... I think u will also need longer shocks there.... Can some one more qualified chime in because I think the stock shocks will become the limiting straps for the suspension............

U r better off asking Wooders for price on a decent 2" kit including atleast shocks, springs, extended bump stops, brake line relocation, control arm relocation brackets and disconnecting front sway bar links........ and probably put it on lay by........

Something like this

http://www.wooders.com.au/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=370_40_168_415&products_id=82

Probaby will be a bit cheaper for club members.......

Cheers

Mani

Mani, I'm blown away from your offer! Thank you :) I haven't got a kit as yet, only ideas lol - am looking fiercely though as the Toolbox day is the day after my bday so thought it would be amusing to say that the JK got high for my bday :P i'm effectively incarcerated Mon - Fri 8am - 6pm which makes researching this sort of stuff time constrained to say the least :/ and the budget is a massive consideration for me ATM, hence looking at the spacer lifts as opposed to the more comprehensive lifts - the limit is looking to be around 500 which is ordinary, but all I can really swing right now

SteveC
19-03-13, 10:17 PM
Dand
It would be a great opportunity to come along and see what others have done on tool day (some good some not so good) before you spend any coin. With out a shadow of a doubt, if you go cheap it will not only cost you but annoy the hell out of you while you wheel on and off road. If it's worth doing it, It's worth doing right the first time. I'm happy to advise what I did that works for me. Others will do so as well.
If you budget is tight ( as many of us will agree) then it may be worth waiting and save just that little bit more.
Steve

TRBN8R
19-03-13, 10:39 PM
Mani, I'm blown away from your offer! Thank you :) I haven't got a kit as yet, only ideas lol - am looking fiercely though as the Toolbox day is the day after my bday so thought it would be amusing to say that the JK got high for my bday :P i'm effectively incarcerated Mon - Fri 8am - 6pm which makes researching this sort of stuff time constrained to say the least :/ and the budget is a massive consideration for me ATM, hence looking at the spacer lifts as opposed to the more comprehensive lifts - the limit is looking to be around 500 which is ordinary, but all I can really swing right now

No worries mate....I like finding something to do in my free days. Keeps me busy and I dont give headaches to my wife by fiddling inside the house. I was just thinking wether the stock shocks have that extra 2 inch of down travel to keep up with the changed height of the vehicle.........

Also some links here if u r interested in a second hand kit still in good order.....

http://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/showthread.php?t=123084

http://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/showthread.php?t=122582

http://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/showthread.php?t=122223

http://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/showthread.php?t=121083

I have built my Jeep with a lot of second hand components and if properly done can save you a few dollars.... I have second hand front bull bar, second hand rock rails, second hand bumper bra, second hand sway bar disconnects, second hand fuel tank skid plate, second hand evap canister etc....... If u talk with the seller and find out decent condition parts it wouldnt be hard to source a reasonable quality kit which will serve as a makeshift arrangement till u find the one that suits your needs.......

Cheers and happy Jeeping....

Mani

DanD
19-03-13, 10:56 PM
Ah I hate being impatient haha... I suppose that at least this will let me get out of debt a little bit more before I smash the living bejesus out of the credit card again haha

Mani - Thank you for the heads up! Have you done all of the work on your Jeep yourself? Looks bloody awesome :D

TRBN8R
19-03-13, 11:08 PM
Mani - Thank you for the heads up! Have you done all of the work on your Jeep yourself? Looks bloody awesome :D

Yup mate.... Initial lift was installed by TJM as I had a friend working there.... After that everything has been done in my front yard with the exception of front uni joints and ball joints...... Actually a few jeeps have had their suspension etc done in my front yard......

http://www.aev-conversions.com/shop/shop-by-category/suspension/new-jk-2-spacer-suspension.html

http://www.aev-conversions.com/isheets/JK_Spacer_Kit_Instructions.pdf

This looks like the most complete budget boost I can find and with AEV there are no doubt about quality...... See if u can source it here......

Cobus
20-03-13, 07:23 AM
Hi, I may pop in to see what all the fuss is about. I don't think anything needs fixing (yet) but I'm sure I'll learn something.

DanD
20-03-13, 08:10 AM
Yup mate.... Initial lift was installed by TJM as I had a friend working there.... After that everything has been done in my front yard with the exception of front uni joints and ball joints...... Actually a few jeeps have had their suspension etc done in my front yard......

http://www.aev-conversions.com/shop/shop-by-category/suspension/new-jk-2-spacer-suspension.html

http://www.aev-conversions.com/isheets/JK_Spacer_Kit_Instructions.pdf

This looks like the most complete budget boost I can find and with AEV there are no doubt about quality...... See if u can source it here......

Methinks I'll be making a personal call or two from work today hehe thanks again Mani and SteveC for the words of wisdom!

Wooders
20-03-13, 08:53 AM
Dan, regardless of what way you go, yes it would ba\e an ideal task at the Tool Box Day, although I can also understand if you want to get it fitted sooner (in which case still rock up ;)).

DanD
20-03-13, 08:47 PM
Dan, regardless of what way you go, yes it would ba\e an ideal task at the Tool Box Day, although I can also understand if you want to get it fitted sooner (in which case still rock up ;)).

Will be there in any case (mainly to get out of the house and away from family that will be calling me re the bday lol) sooo many options re lifts - my credit card will hate me but I don't mind... It's a love hate thing haha

Wooders
23-03-13, 10:37 AM
Hi, I may pop in to see what all the fuss is about. I don't think anything needs fixing (yet) but I'm sure I'll learn something.
Can always do an update of some description ;)

Wooders
23-03-13, 10:43 AM
OK so the Job List I have so far:

Chipper: Ball Joints
DanD: Lift kit (Maybe?)
DK: Change Fuel Pump
RedRubi: RockSliders (Maybe?)
ROK360: 360 Leaks (Maybe?)
sfedek: AC Mounts mods
Wolfe/Hunno: XJ Camper

Anyone else???
We should have room for at least 4 cars to be worked on concurrently.
Heck we could roll the fire hose out for anyone that wants Wolfe in a mankini to wash their ride.

Wolfe
23-03-13, 12:02 PM
ooooooh yeh Im in

http://images.sodahead.com/profiles/0/0/2/9/6/5/4/4/7/daisy-dukes-family-guy-102670573398.jpeg

D.K.
23-03-13, 12:43 PM
Id be keen, but i need to replace a dead fuel pump (again). I am checking the fuel pump relay later today, ... just on the off-chance.

Tank out - anybody got a Genright fuel pump lock ring tool i could borrow?

ROK360
06-04-13, 12:10 AM
Well I am out, wife has a baby shower and just decided to tell me. Looks like my oil issue has taken care of itself for the moment - the wonders of AMC. I was keen to see what I would need to do to one of the XJ rear bars to get it to fit my Waggie. I soo need to get the spare out of the cargo area, the 360 is begging for an extra 100 litres of LPG and since I am driving this thing daily at the moment I am getting sick of getting gas every couple of days as 60 litres does not get you far.
So Dave I will get there, and I am still keen to see if one of those bars can be made to fit without too much pain.

have fun
Cheers

Paul-JK
06-04-13, 10:28 PM
Well, what a day! Thanks heaps to everyone for helping out with my JK today. I'd have been royally stuffed if I'd attempted any of that in my driveway, even more so with the issues we found. It was a great day though, learned heaps, had a laugh doing it, and met a few folks I'd not met before so all good. Might not have quite gone to plan but that's all part of the fun. Wooders even tried to provide us with our own swimming pool as the rains came down and tried to flood the place.

The drive home proved uneventful (meaning I got home without anything falling off!). The steering does feel better after changing that uni out. Tried a few slow, tight turns and didn't seem to get the wobble through the wheel that I was getting before. I'll keep an eye on it over the next few days and see how it goes. Think I'll still do the other side as well, just to be sure. I'll save that treat for when the new axle comes in.

Thanks again to all,

Cheers,

Paul

Hunno
06-04-13, 10:57 PM
That's great news Paul.Yer I would probably wait until the new axles arrive too.

Wolfe
06-04-13, 11:44 PM
Great day thanks for the water activities Dave, thankyou hunno for the dry clothes.

DanD
07-04-13, 10:12 AM
Thanks to all for putting up with me for the day :D and thank you Dave for letting me spend money after the biblical flood :O ! :D !

DanD
07-04-13, 10:14 AM

The only pic I took of the day

Wooders
07-04-13, 01:06 PM
Well
I think at the end of the day it was productive day all round....even if it wasn't how we'd planned :)
Thanks everyone for your help when the flooding began, and at least now I'm confident it won't happen again soon and it appears not mush other than a few boxes has suffered.
Any interest in another day where hopefully the weather will be kinder and before it getts too cold?

Hunno
07-04-13, 02:02 PM
Yep, as I need to get on to my XJ " Blue Thunder" the Safari Wagon.

Dave
07-04-13, 05:34 PM
Yep, as I need to get on to my XJ " Blue Thunder" the Safari Wagon.

Let me know when, and I'll come help if I can! I'm good at holdin' stuff and... stuff. Might learn something too!

Paul-JK
07-04-13, 06:14 PM
Definitely interested in another tool box day......still got the other side to do!

ROK360
10-04-13, 12:46 AM
I am Definitely interested, this is the kind of thing I reckon makes a club great. Hopefully I will b able to make the next one.

DLE068
10-04-13, 06:51 AM
When is the next one going to be?

Wolfe
10-04-13, 08:12 AM
how about 11th of may?

Wooders
10-04-13, 08:36 AM
Works for me.

Sent from my GT-N7105T using Tapatalk 2

Paul-JK
10-04-13, 09:01 AM
Sounds good to me. Can I stick my name down please? Hoping to do ball joints & uni on passenger side and round 2 with the axle & uni on the drivers side (Dave I'll give you a ring about the axle).

Fingers crossed no biblical floods this time......or bent axle ears, or problematic axle seals, or stubborn uni's,.........

Cheers,

Paul

DLE068
10-04-13, 11:57 AM
I'm there. Can we do high steer on the my jk Dave?

redrubi
12-04-13, 08:16 PM
Will my Rock Sliders be in???:jaded: