View Full Version : Sand Flag Ideas

SteveC
20-04-13, 02:25 PM
Does any one have ideas on economically getting a sand flag. I saw some on flee bay but can't justify their cost.
Any idea or places where I can get/make one?
Thanks

98ZJ
20-04-13, 05:11 PM
Do you want it to be a good job or just a one off think?? , it's its one of get a bunnings or any hardware supplier to give you a oversize load flag, and for the pole if its one off tape a shitty old fishing rod to ur bullbar

98ZJ
20-04-13, 05:13 PM
Or if its good get a light weight steel rod, and u clamps and work working nice out for the flag

redrubi
21-04-13, 12:53 PM
Steve,

It's a pleasure to say I know someone who is a bigger cheapskate than me!!

However my suggestion is:

Cash Converters or the likes sell lots of "crappy good for nothing fishing rods".

Fitting: cut off footings stirup (gal) from Bunnings.

Good luck!!:encouragement:

Andy:pirate:

SteveC
23-04-13, 05:50 PM
I'm not really cheap......just economical but i'll look at your suggestion

Flatfender
24-04-13, 04:13 PM
I was surrounded by vehicles with flags fitted at a minesite yesterday near Mudgee.They are available at any mining equipment and hardware store. I called in to a store in Mudgee to get a price and found that very high quality ones are $174 for one piece units or $195 for two piece. Apparently the regulation flag height is 3.0m above ground level. I see that Black Widow advertise a three piece unit for $129 which doesn't seem to be a bad price.
Cheers
Ian W.

SteveC
25-04-13, 11:07 AM
Thanks Ian for that information.
I'm not even sure if I need one where I'm going. I have to clarify

Dave
26-04-13, 04:34 PM
Sand Flags from TJM are cheaper than those mining ones. I have a short one piece flag from them, about 1.6 metres long, that I mount on my roof rack with a basic antenna mount. Total cost was about $120. Total height off the ground about 3.5 metres (car and flagpole).

TJM also has a longer one in sections, but it is more $. Many people that already have a long UHF antenna, up to 2 metres high off the bullbar, just tie a red flag to that.

Where are you going? You are required to use a flag in the Simpson Desert, but not just to go up the Birdsville Track for example. Still a good idea to use one anywhere you are crossing dunes...

Dave