PDA

View Full Version : Axle seal leak caused by bad unijoint ???????

TRBN8R
06-05-13, 11:48 AM
Hi Guys,

The Jeep was running brilliant without any dramas and one day completgely out of the blue I noticed the diff tube on passenger side leaking oil like a sieve. I immidiately ordered 2 diff seals from Wooders. The next day and while spraying the leaked oil with degreaser to make it a bit clean for replacing the seal I noticed a cap missing from the passenger side unijoint. So ordeered 2 uni joints from Woders again. They arrived the next morning. I had some other things to do so decided to change the uni joint only and leave the seals for another day. After changin the uni joint I washed the area with degreaser again and went to do something about 10Km away. Coming back noticed small oil leakage. I have driven another 150 Kms since then and have not noticed any more oil leaking.

I assume that 50-60 Ks I drove before I discovered the missing cap the vibrations in the axle shaft let the oil leak out. As soon as the new uni went in and the vibrations stopped the seal gripped the axle again and stopped leaking. I think the little patch of oil that leaked after changing the uni was already present in the tube. Once it leaked out everything went back to normal.

Can the experts advise if I should leave everything as it is and observe the leakage regularly for another few hundered ks or should I change the seals right now........

Cheers

Mani

rupicon
06-05-13, 05:39 PM
I would leave it changing those seals is a pain
My seals leaked due to water getting in to the point that the diff was way over full I had to do mine but you may have solved yours.

Hunno
06-05-13, 06:25 PM
Have you checked the oil level in the diff? Hate for it to have stopped leaking because it low on fluid.

TRBN8R
07-05-13, 12:17 AM
Have you checked the oil level in the diff? Hate for it to have stopped leaking because it low on fluid.

Never thought of that, will check oil level as soon as I get it back from smash repair.......

Sent from my XT910 using Tapatalk 2

TRBN8R
10-05-13, 12:42 PM

Got it back from smash repair yesterday. Topped up the diff with about 150ml of gear oil. Have driven it about 40 Km since with no further leakage. I will keep it under observation for another few days... Hope fully it has spared me 5 hours under the car changing the seals..........

TRBN8R
17-05-13, 06:46 AM
Another 200 ks done and no leakage reported. I have kept the new ones as spares for use later on.......

Sent from my XT910 using Tapatalk 2