PDA

View Full Version : Car Cameras

Green Gecko
20-05-13, 05:26 PM
Hi Guys, I noticed on the Gibraltar run a few of you had the car cameras, I am looking to purchase 1, do you have any suggestions, would like to capture a whole trip and be able to download it to PC etc. Have been looking on ebay, seems to be a huge choice. Flip down screens, dual camera, 64gb, night, etc etc ranging from $20 to $300. I'm not having any luck looking up reviews etc. Please let me know what you think. Thanks in Advance, Paul

Negdriver
20-05-13, 05:57 PM
If you really want to capture an entire trip, you would need a lot of memory cards. A 32gb with decent footage will last 1 - 2 days. Or you could get a go pro and use it when your near good tracks or site seeing.

My 2 cents for you.
Ps. Mine cost $100 and saved my bacon from 2 red light speed cameras.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Green Gecko
20-05-13, 06:13 PM
Thanks for the reply Neg, What camera do you have? the Go Pro? Where is the best place to get them? Ebay?

Steve F
20-05-13, 06:14 PM
I have a RD32II camera, no screen but cheap, water proof, 1080p or 720p at 60FPS. Here's a video I took at Lake Lyel last trip out, switch it to 720p for the best picture, it was recorded at 60FPS but youtube drops it down to 30FPS.

http://youtu.be/6p2uX9vISMg

Cheers
Steve

dobbo56
20-05-13, 06:18 PM
Hi Paul, i would suggest a GoPro, i got mine off ebay, out of HK, but Kogan has them for $249.00 delivered very good price. GoPro Hero 3 Silver, then you will need a 32 gb micro card and a suction cup mount.all up a bit over 300 buks. cheers Doggy Dave...

Green Gecko
20-05-13, 06:37 PM
Thanks for the help, the video looked awesome I will check them out on ebay, will see how I go. Thanks again, Paul
I have a RD32II camera, no screen but cheap, water proof, 1080p or 720p at 60FPS. Here's a video I took at Lake Lyel last trip out, switch it to 720p for the best picture, it was recorded at 60FPS but youtube drops it down to 30FPS.

http://youtu.be/6p2uX9vISMg

Cheers
Steve

Green Gecko
20-05-13, 06:38 PM
Hi Dave, thanks for the reply another on the trip had the GoPro, I will have a look also, thanks Mate, Paul
Hi Paul, i would suggest a GoPro, i got mine off ebay, out of HK, but Kogan has them for $249.00 delivered very good price. GoPro Hero 3 Silver, then you will need a 32 gb micro card and a suction cup mount.all up a bit over 300 buks. cheers Doggy Dave...

MRGC
20-05-13, 10:34 PM
I'm just about to put an order for the lic ego camera, has excellent reviews and up there with go pro and contour in video quality but slightly cheaper, the bonus it has wifi as well, a guy on eBay from Brisbane is selling them for $139.99 free postage in Australia absolute bargain check it out.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7d-mkMbkdg&sns=em

Steve F
20-05-13, 11:41 PM
I was going to buy the Ego and then I read that it turns off the wifi as soon as you start recording so you cant stop the recording via the wifi :( That was a feature that I really wanted and if you could start AND stop recording via he wifi I'd grab one as I could control it all from my tablet in the Jeep and have the camera mounted externally.

Cheers
Steve

MRGC
21-05-13, 10:56 AM
Yes I was disappointed when I found out you can't stop the recording via wifi, but nothing a firmware can't fix, in fact there is a lot of talk on forums in the states about fixing this through an updated firmware.

So if you've purchased one just keep an eye out for an updated firmware or updated software for the ego.

AV8
21-05-13, 01:45 PM
How about expansion options for your car cameras.

The Go Pros have quite a few different mounting options:

Helmet, Chest, Suction, Wrist, Flat Panel, Curved Panel,Surf Board, Round Bars , AirDrone, Pole, Scuba, Tripod, Pet (My Lab) and extra accessories include extra batteries, LCD screen, WiFi, Android/iPhone WiFi, 3D case, skinny door, fat door, water proof and most importantly support. I have called their help line a number of times and always get polite and courteous reception by the boys and gals there at Half Moon Bay. A very innovative and forward thinking company with fantastic customer service. Also google Go Pro Forum for more info.

The mic sucks although produces a unique "Go Pro" sound which I quite like.

At the end of the day Paul, it depends on your budget and what you want to use it for. Good luck.

Choices..choices...hmmmmmm

Steve F
21-05-13, 02:56 PM
And here's my RD32II behind the fairing of my 33 year old Cafe Racer :) This gives a better idea of the sound and shows it at speed better.

http://youtu.be/9Fxv7IQAbx8

Cheers
Steve

Green Gecko
21-05-13, 08:20 PM
Thank you all very much for the info, looks like I need to do some more research the video quality does look good thank you Steve
Kind regards
Paul