PDA

View Full Version : Raising my jeep height

uncaged123
22-05-13, 09:01 PM
As a new member and an owner of a 2013 "4 doors JK" I have been fitting it out for offroad touring, however I noted that's some club outings require raised vehicles. I welcome some advice as to the best means to do this work and estimated cost. My financial advisor is having a nervous breakdown on the money I am spending.

Cheers

Wallyd
22-05-13, 09:40 PM
Well, I'll be putting up 3 inch progressive wound coils for sale very soon. Also have 3 PPM shocks to go with it. Only 3 because one of the front ones broke the welding at the axle end. So will just need to buy 1 new one.

Paul-JK
22-05-13, 09:57 PM
The 4dr JK does tend to get hung up very easily at stock height. You'll be dragging the bash plates and fuel tank skid over every drainage hump you drive over (I speak from experience). A 2"-3" lift increases the ramp over angle nicely though.

How much it costs is a bit of an open ended question as it depends on what components you use, whether you buy new or pre-loved, and how substantial a kit you kit you go for. A good guide is to look on the DBOR website as they have a range of kits on there from mild to wild. It'll give you an idea of what components you may want to consider changing and what sort of budget you may be looking it. You can then decide where you buy from and what brands of kit you go for as there are many more brand options than are available at DBOR. My advice though is to hop into a few of the JK's at the SJC days when you get a chance. Ride is very subjective so people's advice on which kit is better than another doesn't always suit your tastes. Have a ride in a few though and see what they feel like. then you can make a more informed decision before speaking sweetly to the financial advisor.

uncaged123
22-05-13, 10:55 PM
Thanks for your help and advice.

Cheers

Dave
23-05-13, 12:05 PM
Really depends on the type of 'touring' you want to do. If you're in the mountains rock hopping then you are likely to need bigger clearance, tyres etc. If you are long distance touring, like the trips we have done to the Cape, Birdsville etc, then you might not need to go extreme, and bigger can often hurt in other ways eg fuel economy etc.

Eddy G has a 4 door JK with a 2 inch Old Man Emu (ARB) lift, and 33 inch tyres. It is a GREAT long distance touring vehicle! (Well I reckon - and the 150 litres of onboard fuel...). The ARB lift (and TJM does similar) would come in around $1500 probably (what I have been quoted to re do my KJ).

Dave