PDA

View Full Version : The Club I belong to

SteveC
27-06-13, 06:44 PM
I often wonder what it is that each member, new and long termers are looking for in the Jeep Club, or any other club for that matter. Why did you join this club and why do some stay and other leave after a short period?
I believe that we have a great committee manned by volunteers and strong membership, that I have always found approachable and friendly. While we do not always agree on matters, I generally find the outcomes to be most acceptable by the majority, including me. If you have something that you can contribute or wish to get involved in, you will always have people who will listen to what you have to say, so go ahead and put forward your ideas and suggestions but these need to be followed up with an action plan and willingness to be involved. I find at times many ideas floating around but little seems to follow in recent times.
I’d like to see more members getting involved in a variety of activities and I think the best way to start, is to post ideas on the forum as well as bring up suggestions at club meetings. I suggest members to put forward ideas by starting a conversation on what you may think could interest the rest of the members. You may have a particular skills or knowledge. I think it’s important to ask yourself not what the club can do for you but what you can contribute.
For me it was to not only go on trips but to lead them, as well as to meet like minded people who shared my passion for 4WDing and Jeeps. I remember my first trip I led as few years ago (and yes I was nervous), it went OK and yes I did get sidetracked (read lost) not one person brought it up or complained and that meant a lot to me and proved what a great bunch of people we have in the club.
If you think you’d like to lead a trip and are not sure what or how to go about it, then post your idea up on the forum as I know you will get plenty of support. Whether it’s an easy track or extreme , it matters not, as you’ll find people in the Jeep wanting different levels and challenges.
So what are you waiting for?

redrubi
27-06-13, 06:51 PM
Well said Steve!

Green Gecko
27-06-13, 09:32 PM
Well said Steve, I have been contemplating how to write, the message you have just given us. I have been wanting to ask if it is at all possible that perhaps someday we could do a buddy up training system or something. Maybe People willing to lead groups could get a bit of buddy training, I am interested in doing this. I know I need to go on more trips to learn my vehicle etc. I was wondering if we could get some training or advice on navigation, maps, area facilities, air downs and ups, gearing selection, etc etc, Guides and checklists. Maybe even having leaders for certain tracks and of skill level etc. Learning to choose the correct path when instructing others, Recovery methods etc. Sorry guys just some ideas, thinking aloud. Think its just about building up the confidence for me and my vehicle..... need to get on the track more :-)

Bear
27-06-13, 09:57 PM
Those among you who have feelings on the direction you would like to see the club take, don't be shy put your hand up for a position on the committee at the AGM (September meeting).

DanD
27-06-13, 10:47 PM
Well said Steve, I have been contemplating how to write, the message you have just given us. I have been wanting to ask if it is at all possible that perhaps someday we could do a buddy up training system or something. Maybe People willing to lead groups could get a bit of buddy training, I am interested in doing this. I know I need to go on more trips to learn my vehicle etc. I was wondering if we could get some training or advice on navigation, maps, area facilities, air downs and ups, gearing selection, etc etc, Guides and checklists. Maybe even having leaders for certain tracks and of skill level etc. Learning to choose the correct path when instructing others, Recovery methods etc. Sorry guys just some ideas, thinking aloud. Think its just about building up the confidence for me and my vehicle..... need to get on the track more :-)

In all honesty, I know where you are coming from, but, I personally feel that just by spending more time on trails with the more experienced crew, you will learn more as you go - in saying that, there have been some great C grade runs recently for us newer member, and I'm keen to learn how to lead one of these easier runs (after my studies finish at the end of this year *touch wood* and I get a proper front bumper - and a winch and maybe a rear bumper, oh yeah, cant forget the side steps, after I get the spacer lift in :P )

Wooders
28-06-13, 10:41 PM
As I've said many many times, being part of the Jeep Club is FAR more than just hitting the tracks with other Jeep Owners.
Firstly, many many members are MATES not just fellow Jeep Owners. People I will happily sit around a campfire with a bevvie and a have a great night!!!
Secondly, its about having contacts (& again mates) with similar interests and thats not just 4x4ing, but also fabrication and tinkering stuff too.
At the end of the day through the SJC I personally have made friends I would consider lifelong and would happily help them in anyway, knowing they would do the same back.

It's far more than just people you met on the track waiting at obstacles.

Wolfe
30-06-13, 08:12 PM
Well said Dave

SteveC
01-07-13, 06:16 PM
As I've said many many times, being part of the Jeep Club is FAR more than just hitting the tracks with other Jeep Owners.
Firstly, many many members are MATES not just fellow Jeep Owners. People I will happily sit around a campfire with a bevvie and a have a great night!!!
Secondly, its about having contacts (& again mates) with similar interests and thats not just 4x4ing, but also fabrication and tinkering stuff too.
At the end of the day through the SJC I personally have made friends I would consider lifelong and would happily help them in anyway, knowing they would do the same back.

It's far more than just people you met on the track waiting at obstacles.

I take your point and I appreciate your continual support of the club and the Jeep community but Dave if you look at the last 3 years, the number of events that are "drive" days, that have had members wishing to be involved in FAR outstrip any other social event that I have seen posted. I'm not saying there has not been any alternatives but why join a Jeep club if wheeling and talking about Jeep is not on your agenda, otherwise save your $75 join a knitting club and buy booze. But seriously, I just posted up to encourage people to be more involved in what ever they wish or think may be of interest to others, which I thought had something to do with owning and/or driving a Jeep. Or have I got this wrong? Perhaps I am wrong as I see there have been nearly 200 views with only a couple of responses.
Steve

Cobus
07-07-13, 07:04 PM
Hi guys.

As a relatively new member I'm glad to see people are so passionate about the club. I must apologize for not attending most monthly club meetings because I am ALWAYS at work on those specific nights. I do however swing by the forums every now and then. I've been on one or two day trips with the club and thoroughly enjoyed it. I don't think there is much you can do to improve those drive days.
I attended a toolbox day not that long ago and even if I didn't have anything to fix on my Jeep I learnt a lot just by hanging out with the guys. Can we have another one again soon please? I'm thinking of fitting a snorkel.
I know there is a wealth of knowledge just waiting to be tapped in the club and it would be nice if we can have training sessions on recoveries, tyre pressures, general Jeep maintenance and whatever else there may be.
I'm not sure what skills I can bring to the club, but I am a trained CPR instructor and if anybody wants to learn how to save a life I may be able to help. I usually carry a sophisticated first aid kit on most trips.
Cheers