PDA

View Full Version : NSW Snowy Mountains Tour - January 2014

Dave
03-07-13, 05:46 PM
Following the discussions we had on the Outback NSW Trip in April, I would like to run a trip through the NSW Snowy Mountains in January 2014. I will have an Itinerary at the July meeting and can send a PDF copy to anyone that PM’s me with their email address.

In brief, the plan is:

Day 1 – Saturday 4th January
Sydney to Tumut, via Yass and Wee Jasper 397km
Day 2 – Sunday 5th January
Tumut to Khancoban, via Talbingo, Buddong Falls and Cabramurra 170km
Day 3 – Monday 6th January
Khancoban to Thredbo, via The Alpine Way 75km
Day 4 – Tuesday 7th January
Walk to the top of Mount Kosciuszko then drive on to Jindabyne 34km
Day 5 – Wednesday 8th January
Jindabyne to McKillops Bridge on the Snowy River, via the Barry Way 152km
(I know that’s in Victoria, but this night is a bush camp and you can bring Mexican food :-)
Day 6 – Thursday 9th January
McKillops Bridge to Jindabyne, via Bombala and the Snowy River Way 219km
Day 7 – Friday 10th January
Jindabyne to Blue Waterholes, via Adaminaby, Yarrangobilly Caves and Coolamine Homestead 185km
Day 8 – Saturday 11th January
Blue Waterholes to Canberra, via Tumut and the Brindabella Road 190km
Or Possibly Better, I'm told that Broken Cart Trail will be open from Long Plain to Brindabella Village - ALL DIRT and Scenic! This will reduce the drive from Blue Waterholes to Canberra to about 100km all up, not having to go back via Tumut. IF it is open - we will see when we get there.
People can then choose to stay in Canberra, or return to Sydney 290km
Total Trip Length - 1711km

The trip will involve easy driving on bitumen and good D grade dirt roads (possible C grade options). The trip is open to 4WD and AWD Jeeps, modified or stock, and camper trailers are welcome.

Please consider, and post up on this thread if you are interested. If you would like more information, please PM me with your email address. I guess given the tracks and distances we could manage up to 15 Jeeps.

Definites
1 DaveG - booked
2 EddyG - booked
3 WallyD - booked
4 RobS - booked
5 SteveF & Bec & Em - booked
6 Danny & Sharon - booked
7 JamesM - booked
8 JohnC - booked
9 Ewen S - StickierDuck - booked
10 Hunno & Harmony - not booked but we'll make do!

Thanks,
Dave

SteveC
03-07-13, 05:53 PM
Dave
I might be interested in that trip.
How fixed is your itinerary/places? Any chance of incorporating visit to some high country huts? Just a suggestion....
Steve

Dave
03-07-13, 06:19 PM
Hi Steve, if the huts you are interested in aren't too far off the route we should have time to go and see. Coolamine Homestead (Day 7) is one of the classic "huts" - actually a whole farm built around 1895 - and is very worth visiting, so we will. There are four or five more huts on our route, although some that I knew of were destroyed by bushfires in 2003. We can still stop and look, there has been a programme of repair and restoration of some huts. If you know where some others that you want to see are...

Dave

uncaged123
03-07-13, 08:08 PM
Hi Dave,

As discussed with you at last month meeting I would like to be included, can it commence on either the 1st or 2nd January as my partner has limited time off work.

Could you please also give my apology for my absent tonight.

Cheers Rob

Dieselcon
03-07-13, 08:35 PM
Hi Dave,

Im interested in this outing.. Will confirm closer to date..
Cheers and thankyou

Jose

Wallyd
03-07-13, 09:05 PM
Please put me down. JK rubicon with camper

Dave
03-07-13, 11:38 PM
Hi Dave,

As discussed with you at last month meeting I would like to be included, can it commence on either the 1st or 2nd January as my partner has limited time off work.

Could you please also give my apology for my absent tonight.

Cheers Rob

Hi Rob,

Thanks for the interest, sorry you couldn't make it tonight. These are the dates we discussed last month. I asked for feedback then, but no one had suggested any alternates in the month to now, so I have advertised them to the club and they are locked in. Got some interest in the trip as it stands, I think it suits most to have a couple of days after New Years Day (Wednesday) before setting off. I hope that this week will work for you. I have added you to the 'Maybe' list.

Thanks,
Dave

Miraz
04-07-13, 07:17 AM
Seems a shame to spend so much time on the tar - there are two decent trails that you might want to think about including that wouldn't change the itinerary much:-
1. Take the Davies Plain Track from Tom Groggin (between Khancobhan and Thredbo) over to the Murray River and Suggan Buggan, beautiful campsites along this road - http://parkweb.vic.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0003/318747/info_davies.pdf
2. Then head to McKillops Bridge from the south, and take the deddicks track along the ridge line to the east until you hit the Princes highway north of Orbust to head north

Dave
04-07-13, 09:07 AM
Seems a shame to spend so much time on the tar - there are two decent trails that you might want to think about including that wouldn't change the itinerary much:-
1. Take the Davies Plain Track from Tom Groggin (between Khancobhan and Thredbo) over to the Murray River and Suggan Buggan, beautiful campsites along this road - http://parkweb.vic.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0003/318747/info_davies.pdf
2. Then head to McKillops Bridge from the south, and take the deddicks track along the ridge line to the east until you hit the Princes highway north of Orbust to head north

Thanks Miraz,

Have heard of the Deddick Track, most seem a bit wary of it especially with camper trailers, one article said winches and difflocks needed on the staircase - I have neither - and by all accounts it would add a day to do it properly - head South further into Vic from Jindabyne, then come back North a day on the track to McKillops. Not sure.

Davies Plain track sounds interesting though, an alternate route perhaps from Thredbo down to McKillops without going to Jindabyne Day 5. Although, the link you sent classifies it as Very Difficult - Low Range High Clearance, so again maybe not camper trailer suitable? Perhaps it would be a good detour down to the river for lunch and back to the Alpine Way to continue to Thredbo. Has Dogmans Hut been rebuilt?

Will look into it, thanks.

Dave

Steve F
04-07-13, 10:13 AM
Put us down as a maybe Dave, I think we will come but dont want to take up a confirmed spot just yet, we'll probably just run with the rooftop tent as per the Cape trip as it turns out quite a bit cheaper than pulling the camper. Happy to go whatever route you decide as it's not an area we've been to in the Summer :)

Cheers
Steve

Miraz
04-07-13, 10:38 AM
Both tracks are weather dependent - in the dry neither of them are going to be a problem, in the wet....I'd make other plans.

The steep bits of Deddicks are right next McKillops bridge, so you can go and do a recce before committing to take the trailers in there - my wife's Pajero made it up the climb with a 1700kg camper on the back without any issue on all terrain tyres. There is an alternate all weather road along the river if you don't want to tackle the climb onto high ground.

Davies Plain track is a similar story - once you cross the river at Tom Groggin there are a couple of short climbs, but once on the high ground it's an easy trail - again no issues with trailers in the dry, but could get nasty in the wet. The bad weather option would be Khancoban->Thredbo->Snow River Way->McKillops

My suggestion would be to do Charlotte's Pass and Kosciuszko as a day trip returning to Khancoban on Day 3, Day 4 would become Khancoban to DPT, Day 5 DPT to McKillops, Day 6 McKillops to Orbust, Day 7 Orbust to Blue Water Holes. This would be pretty conservative, we did Tom Groggin all the way through Deddicks with a trailer in a single day (then drove back to Sydney that night :-))

Hunno
04-07-13, 11:45 AM
I'm in.
Hunno

Hunty
04-07-13, 04:30 PM
Jax & I are in :)

Hunno
04-07-13, 04:59 PM
Hey it looks like we're getting the band back together.

Wallyd
04-07-13, 05:51 PM
Hey it looks like we're getting the band back together.

I guess me being the new kid on the block will just walk around in all black with bum crack poking out the top of my jeans pushing gear around (read roadie)

jbrad
04-07-13, 07:38 PM
Put me in for this please. I will confirm how many I will have with me later. I think my wife is working over Jan 14. Kids, who knows? I may convince them.

Hunno
04-07-13, 08:48 PM
I guess me being the new kid on the block will just walk around in all black with bum crack poking out the top of my jeans pushing gear around (read roadie)

Roadies are a few important part of any band. Besides a good band always grows. Besides bum crack hanging out is my job!

Miraz
04-07-13, 11:14 PM
I'm a distinct maybe...

uncaged123
05-07-13, 05:03 AM
Dave, I will certainly be on the trip, may have to reduce my trip to Adelaide and Kangaroo Island a couple of days so my partner will not be too stress in adding a couple of days to her Christmas leave. We're hoping to go to Brazil when the world cup is on, and my partner is trying to save some her rec leave.

Cheers Rob

redrubi
05-07-13, 02:27 PM
Depending on recovery from op, we may be in!

gp
05-07-13, 06:01 PM
Dave

Put me down as a definite.

Regards John Clark

glend
06-07-13, 08:50 AM
Dave you can upgrade me to definite.

Dave
06-07-13, 06:37 PM
Was in Tumut on Thursday and Friday, so have just updated the lists. I booked for 10 cars / campsites in Tumut, but we already have 9, may have to up the number! Woo hoo!! Yeah Hunno, we're getting the band back together, need new sunnies!

While I was there I checked that tracks will be open etc. Nat Parks agreed that Deddick and Davies Plain tracks are iffy for trailers, but no reason we can't have a look at them and have a "play". The start of Davies Plain track involves a Murray River crossing at Tom Groggin - which should be about lunch time out of Khancoban, after a tour of Murray 1 Power Station - the only one still open for tours. Deddick as Miraz said, starts/ends at McKillops Bridge depending on which way you're facing. To see when we get there I guess.

Nat Parks told me that Broken Cart Trail from Long Plain to Brindabella should be open in January (a locked gate on the map) so we will check before we head down that way, but it could mean that we stay on dirt all the way from Yarrangobilly to Blue Waterholes to the tar in Canberra, without having to go back through Tumut. I'm told it is a great track, okay for trailers and very scenic. Woo hoo again.

I got asked how many cars we could manage. Because we aren't travelling huge distances and the roads shouldn't be too bad, I guess we could do up to 15?

Dave

Steve F
06-07-13, 07:02 PM
Better put me down as comfirmed now then :)

Cheers
Steve

Dave
06-07-13, 07:31 PM
Better put me down as comfirmed now then :)

Cheers
Steve

Great! Done!! Never had 10 so fast!!!

Dave
06-07-13, 07:46 PM
Dave, I will certainly be on the trip, may have to reduce my trip to Adelaide and Kangaroo Island a couple of days so my partner will not be too stress in adding a couple of days to her Christmas leave. We're hoping to go to Brazil when the world cup is on, and my partner is trying to save some her rec leave.

Cheers Rob
Crikey, you are going to have a huge year! I know a few people from my work that are planning to go to the W Cup next year - hope you'll organise an SJC trip haha.

Added you to the Definite list!

Dave

Hunno
06-07-13, 10:15 PM
My leave form done. I'm in.

uncaged123
08-07-13, 04:57 AM
Hi Dave, is RobC me? I am a certainty for this trip.

Cheers

Dave
08-07-13, 09:44 AM
Hi Dave, is RobC me? I am a certainty for this trip.

Cheers

Sorry Rob, you're RobS not C! I have fixed it but it was supposed to be you!

Dave

Dave
04-08-13, 01:07 PM
Snowy Mountains Trip Preparation – Booking in Caravan Parks.

I'm also going to email this to people who's emails I have, but I don't have everyone...

I've reserved 10 camp sites in Tumut under my name and Sydney Jeep Club. I booked a powered site in Tumut and was charged $40. Powered sites allowed us to all be located together. I have only paid for my site, and they would like confirmation and payment in advance from everyone else.

Please call Riverglade Caravan Park - 02 6947 2528 asap and confirm your booking – name/s, whether you require power or not, and be prepared to give a credit card number. We will be camping in Tumut on Saturday night 4 January 2014.

Khancoban did not require names or money in advance. They know we are coming and have “never run out of campsites”.

Jindabyne like Tumut requires names and money in advance. I have reserved 10 camp sites under my name and Sydney Jeep Club, and have paid for mine. These are unpowered sites to allow for the group to be located together. If anyone wants power they will allocate you a different site, but you must call soon.

Please call Jindabyne Holiday Park - 02 6456 2249 asap (before September as they take Summer bookings in Spring and fill fast) and confirm your booking – name/s, whether you require power or not, and be prepared to give a credit card number. We will be camping in Jindabyne two nights, on Tuesday night 7 January, and again on Thursday night 9 January. Unpowered sites are $30 for two people, Powered sites are $45 for two people.

I haven't done anything about camping in Canberra, because I don't know what anyone else wants to do after we finish up there...

Any problems please call, email or PM me.
Thanks,
Dave
PS, why am I only able to write in italics now, and have to use copy and paste to make a space instead of using the enter key?

Wallyd
04-08-13, 08:52 PM
Cheers Dave, Ill get onto it right away. BTW, walterrdiaz@yahoo.com, also it doesn't let me press enter for a new line too

Dave
05-08-13, 10:17 AM
Cheers Dave, Ill get onto it right away. BTW, walterrdiaz@yahoo.com, also it doesn't let me press enter for a new line too

Thanks for that. I've written your address down if you want to delete it for privacy. Hey, and I'm not italicised today. Wow!

And enter works too :-)

Dave

Wallyd
05-08-13, 04:31 PM
Booked the 4th, they didn't want my money??? Booked and paid 7th and 9th.... They weren't so scared to do me of my money!!!!

Dave
05-08-13, 08:00 PM
Booked the 4th, they didn't want my money??? Booked and paid 7th and 9th.... They weren't so scared to do me of my money!!!!

Oh well, they were both happy to take my $! Thanks for getting in there!

Dave

Dave
18-08-13, 11:18 AM
Just a reminder, contacted the Tumut and Jindabyne Caravan Parks today to put Ed's bookings through. They both said that they had heard from 4 people now, myself, WallyD, RobS and Ed. Jindy in particular wanted bookings confirmed by next month...

Tumut says they don't need money up front after all, just names. But Jindy wants your $60 for two nights asap. Please let me know if there are any problems.

Thanks

Dave

jeepney
04-09-13, 01:35 AM
Dave, I'm very keen to join the trip but concern how I could confirm my booking with camp sites. I'd be back to Sydney on Dec 26th.

Dave
04-09-13, 03:43 PM
Dave, I'm very keen to join the trip but concern how I could confirm my booking with camp sites. I'd be back to Sydney on Dec 26th.

Hi James, Great to hear from you, and that you would like to come. I'll add you to the list, and I can call the Cara Parks and give your details. I've already helped one person with payment, I will do the same for you and we can sort it out in January. Be aware, there is a lot of bush and few people in some places we are going, so if you dont... Only kidding!

Dave

Nekked
04-09-13, 11:21 PM
We may be a maybe.

Alex and Dani

Dave
05-09-13, 09:19 AM
We may be a maybe.

Alex and Dani

Added to the maybe list!

If peoples are booking with the caravan parks - as per post on page 3, please let me know if you have done that. And if anyone has changed their mind and isn't definite anymore...

I only reserved 10 cara park sites, we have 12 'definites' but only 6 paid to date - see first post page 1. Need to get the 'really surely definites' pretty soon or we might lose reserved spots.

Thanks,
Dave

Steve F
05-09-13, 11:56 AM
Booked and paid for Jindabyne and Tumut. Jindabyne didn't charge me for Emily even though they normally do as she will be 5 but since we're part of a group they waved the fee and just listed her as being 4 :)

Cheers
Steve

Dave
05-09-13, 02:01 PM
Booked and paid for Jindabyne and Tumut. Jindabyne didn't charge me for Emily even though they normally do as she will be 5 but since we're part of a group they waved the fee and just listed her as being 4 :)

Cheers
Steve

Thats great! Thanks Steve, must be nice to get the occassional money saver!!

Dave

Wallyd
21-09-13, 03:58 PM
Dave, do all the camp spots have pit toilets at least, or am i gonna need to byo???

AV8
21-09-13, 04:12 PM
Dave, do all the camp spots have pit toilets at least, or am i gonna need to byo???

iPOOD (http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/07/22/ipood/) pit Wally..:moon:

Wallyd
21-09-13, 05:03 PM
Thanks AV8, but if I'm to use one of those, i might get real tired digging a real big hole to bury her in too!!!

Dave
22-09-13, 10:47 AM
Hi Wally,

All the National Parks camp sites - as advertised at least - will have long drops. Cara parks of course are full facility. I will bring a shovel and usually chuck the "emergency" seat in anyway so we should be okay! Bring all your usual camping gear, sure you usually carry a roll or two...

On another note, still haven't heard from everyone - only 8 people from 11 definites see page 1 - that they have booked those cara park sites. I haven't called them up to check, and will be in WA next week so won't be at the meeting to do another reminder. Please remember that Jindabyne said that they would not hold my 'reserved' sites for much longer!

Dave

Dave
28-10-13, 09:42 PM
Since the last reminder - a month ago - we have had one definite pull out, and still 3 that I haven't heard from about making those two pesky caravan park bookings.

I'll do another reminder at the meeting next week, but I haven't checked with the cara parks that they are still holding reservations. On the to do list!

If anyone has any questions please send me a message.

Dave

uncaged123
28-10-13, 11:15 PM
Dave I'll bring my tent which could fit 2-4 persons in the spare half if that could help, if site booking are full.

Cheers Rob.

Heidi
29-10-13, 11:30 AM
Dave there are free camps not far from both the caravan parks if they where full and you had people not booked in to the caravan parks

Dave
29-10-13, 01:27 PM
Thanks Rob and Heidi,

I'm sure we can work something out if needed, but hopefully won't be needed! Only reason that Tumut and Jindabyne asked for pre booking / payment is that they do fill up at that time of year. (I guess free camps will too...). All of us will be using "honesty box / free" camps on a few nights - Thredbo, McKillops Bridge, Blue Waterholes, where it will be first in best sites...

Thanks for the offer and info!

Dave

Oh and Rob, got some ideas for next July that we might want to discuss, at the meeting next Wednesday perhaps...

Heidi
01-11-13, 12:24 PM
mmm we might see you at McKillops bridge as we will be heading into the high country about them

Dave
01-11-13, 01:56 PM
mmm we might see you at McKillops bridge as we will be heading into the high country about them

That'd be great! Know the Deddick track ends at McKillops, thought we might look at that North end of it the arvo we get there - just for fun. Decided not to do the whole thing with camper trailers etc and timing... Guess you might be heading South that way? Be a great run in the new red JK!

Dave

Heidi
01-11-13, 03:03 PM
Is Deddick track the one that runs through the playgrounds? We don't have a set itinerary yet just a general idea of some area's we have not been before - plus a few places to do again - and to be end on the Albury side.

Dave
01-11-13, 10:30 PM
Is Deddick track the one that runs through the playgrounds? We don't have a set itinerary yet just a general idea of some area's we have not been before - plus a few places to do again - and to be end on the Albury side.

I'm no expert on the area, but for ideas check out http://www.fwdvictoria.org.au/iconic4wd/ especially the Davies Plain Drive and the Snowy River Drive. The Deddick track appears on the Snowy Drive.

These might give you some good ideas :)

Dave

Heidi
04-11-13, 12:31 PM
Thanks - the playgrounds is in between those two maps I think - off Davies highplain back towards Suggan Buggan. We have done most of the Davies Plain driver already. We are ticking of the tracks from the Boiling Billy book of the high country. :)

redrubi
07-11-13, 10:50 PM
Dave,

Please take us off the maybe list. Back recovery still an issue, I need to start off with shorter trips. Latter on next year for sure!!

Have fun all!! And remember lots of posts and photos.

Cheers

Andy&Charl:pirate::angel:

Dave
08-11-13, 09:22 AM
Dave,

Please take us off the maybe list. Back recovery still an issue, I need to start off with shorter trips. Latter on next year for sure!!

Have fun all!! And remember lots of posts and photos.

Cheers

Andy&Charl:pirate::angel:

No worries and thanks for letting me know! Hope you are on the mend, and maybe up for a four week tour in July???

Dave

Nekked
11-11-13, 08:59 AM
Sorry Dave,We are out for this trip. i only have the week prior to this approved and cannot have another week. Cheers

Dave
11-11-13, 10:00 AM
Sorry Dave,We are out for this trip. i only have the week prior to this approved and cannot have another week. Cheers

Pity, but understood. Perhaps you can save up that leave and come on the next one, which should be longer, further and redder!

Dave

Wallyd
12-11-13, 07:23 PM
Ive booked myself in to stay the night of the 3rd of Jan in Yass to split the drive in. So ill meet you guys in Yass....
$27 per night powered site
Plenty of room as of tonight

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/11/12/sedy4ybe.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

Dave
12-11-13, 08:36 PM
That's great Wally, sounds like a good option for anyone that wants to get on the road early! I'm aiming to get to Yass around midday for lunch then set off for Wee Jasper and Tumut. Probably only 2 hours all up driving, but we will probably stop a few times on the way. Will be a solid three hours Sydney to Yass...

I will make sure everyone has each others contact details next month so that we can all get where we need to be!

Thanks!
Dave

StickierDuck
04-12-13, 10:56 PM
Hi Dave,

Based on what you said tonight I'd like to put my name down for this trip as well. It will just be me as my wife has to work.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Dave
05-12-13, 09:46 AM
Hi Dave,

Based on what you said tonight I'd like to put my name down for this trip as well. It will just be me as my wife has to work.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Great news!

I have PM'd you back and added you to the list of people coming along.

Still waiting to hear if Hunty, Hunno and Jbrad are coming - and have moved them from the definites to maybe... which means we have 9 definites. Great number (but room for one or two more).

I PM'd the dates and phone numbers for the bookings in Tumut and Jindabyne caravan parks - the ones that asked for names and money in advance - I hope you can get in touch with them. They should have records of Sydney Jeep Club bookings!

IF Telstra gets my email and landline working sometime soon, I will send everyone a registration form - names, numbers, emergency contacts etc - hopefully well before Christmas! Otherwise my mobile number is on the itinerary, please call with any questions!

Thanks again,
Dave

Dave
23-12-13, 01:25 PM
Hi All

I hope that everyone has a Merry Christmas, and is about ready for our week in the mountains.

I still haven’t heard from Hunno or Hunty if they are coming, but we have 9 cars which will make a great trip!

I had a list of things to bring in the Itinerary and I've just emailed everyone again, hopefully everyone is okay with this.

Please PM, email or call me with any questions you may have.

I plan to leave town (I’m in Croydon) at about 8.00am on Saturday 4th Jan and head down the M5 and Hume Highway. I’m happy to meet up with anyone that wants to tag along. In the past, a few of us have met at Eddy’s place in Burwood and convoyed from there. Use UHF Ch 15.

Last time we went down the M5 I met up with JamesM at the big Southbound Marulan BP station, we should be there about 9.30am for a coffee. Otherwise see everyone in Yass at about 12.00pm for lunch.

Find the Royal Hotel - 109 Comur St Yass, bistro open for lunch, and there is a bakery and a Subway next door - and we should all be ready to go from there at about 1.30 or 2.00pm.

See you on the 4th :smile-new:

Thanks,
Dave

Wallyd
31-12-13, 06:52 PM
Almost ready

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/12/31/usuny6yj.jpg

Dave
31-12-13, 06:59 PM
Almost ready

We still need a "Like" button on this forum!

See you on Saturday, and HAPPY NEW YEAR!

Dave

uncaged123
31-12-13, 08:40 PM
Happy New Year Dave, see you at the BP servo.

Rob.

AV8
31-12-13, 09:20 PM
Happy New Year and Safe trip guys.

just a reminder what speed, gravel, off camber and slow reaction could do..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZN-sPiIFmM

need photos and vids from trip please!!!:smile-new::smile-new:

Steve F
01-01-14, 11:33 AM
You guys are ready early, I won't even be home until Friday and then a quick clean of the jeep, pack and off on Saturday morning.

Cheers
Steve

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Hunty
01-01-14, 05:57 PM
Hi All

I hope that everyone has a Merry Christmas, and is about ready for our week in the mountains.

I still haven’t heard from Hunno or Hunty if they are coming, but we have 9 cars which will make a great trip!

I had a list of things to bring in the Itinerary and I've just emailed everyone again, hopefully everyone is okay with this.

Please PM, email or call me with any questions you may have.

I plan to leave town (I’m in Croydon) at about 8.00am on Saturday 4th Jan and head down the M5 and Hume Highway. I’m happy to meet up with anyone that wants to tag along. In the past, a few of us have met at Eddy’s place in Burwood and convoyed from there. Use UHF Ch 15.

Last time we went down the M5 I met up with JamesM at the big Southbound Marulan BP station, we should be there about 9.30am for a coffee. Otherwise see everyone in Yass at about 12.00pm for lunch.

Find the Royal Hotel - 109 Comur St Yass, bistro open for lunch, and there is a bakery and a Subway next door - and we should all be ready to go from there at about 1.30 or 2.00pm.

See you on the 4th :smile-new:

Thanks,
Dave

Jax & I are very Keen to come but sadly things are conspiring against us and we will not be able to :( have a great trip peeps and an awesome 2014 cheers Hunty

Dave
01-01-14, 07:47 PM
That's too bad Hunty :grumpy: It would have been great to have the two of you along. Next time!

For those doing last minute preparation, I've just checked the weather forecast. Sunny all week, but, Thredbo next Tuesday, -1 to 11 degrees. Guess where we will be haha. At last it will be cool for the walk to the top of Kozi! Bring some warm gear!!!

Top temps will be mid 20's in all the places we go except Thredbo.

Two days till hit the road time :joyous:

Dave

DanD
02-01-14, 10:51 AM
That's too bad Hunty :grumpy: It would have been great to have the two of you along. Next time!

For those doing last minute preparation, I've just checked the weather forecast. Sunny all week, but, Thredbo next Tuesday, -1 to 11 degrees. Guess where we will be haha. At last it will be cool for the walk to the top of Kozi! Bring some warm gear!!!

Top temps will be mid 20's in all the places we go except Thredbo.

Two days till hit the road time :joyous:

Dave

I just got back from 4 odd days out past Cooma (up at around 1,200m elevation) and definitely recommend taking cold weather gear for the nights and chuck some wet weather gear in there also as the weather turns pretty quickly down that way :)

Dave
03-01-14, 02:05 PM
Thanks Dan, good info! Think I'll be taking my 0 degree sleeping bag and a blanket!

It's the day before "the off" now, I hope everyone is ready to go! I confirmed that we have 9 paid bookings at Jindabyne when they called me a couple of days ago. They wanted to let other people take the remaining sites I had 'reserved' so they are full!

Drive safe everyone, and I'll see some of us in Burwood at 8.00am, some at Marulan BP Southbound at 9.30 and hopefully everyone else for lunch in Yass.

Any probs, all my contacts are on the Itinerary and the rego sheet that I emailed to everyone a few weeks ago.

Nearly finished packing the car!

Dave

Steve F
03-01-14, 03:44 PM
Home from a trip north and getting the camper ready to go south, the colder nights convinced me to forget the tent and take the teardrop camper instead :) should be packed by bedtime. How many days food needed as off to Coles soon as well and then I'll cryovac the meat and will be set for the week :)

Dave
03-01-14, 04:07 PM
Home from a trip north and getting the camper ready to go south, the colder nights convinced me to forget the tent and take the teardrop camper instead :) should be packed by bedtime. How many days food needed as off to Coles soon as well and then I'll cryovac the meat and will be set for the week :)

Welcome back Steve - for a couple hours anyway!

We are on the road 8 days - Tomorrow thru next Saturday - we should arrive in Canberra sometime on Saturday afternoon. So not including tomorrow morning that's 7 breakfasts, 8 lunches and 7 dinners before arriving in Canberra.

However, can buy lunch tomorrow in Yass and dinner in a few places - Tumut, Khancoban and Jindabyne.

I'm bringing all breakfasts and lunches and dinner for at least the "bush" camps - Thredbo, McKillops, Blue Waterholes, plus some extra in case. Can probably get dinners at the other stops unless you prefer cooking! We might have the "traditional" Chinese on the second night in Jindy... maybe. Oh and there will be time for any last minute resupply in Tumut on Sunday morning and in Jindy...

See you tomorrow :-)

Dave

Wallyd
03-01-14, 06:18 PM
Ready for the first night in Yass
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/01/03/avy6yman.jpg

Dave
03-01-14, 06:22 PM
Ready for the first night in Yass

Woohoo! Very nice!! And you get to sleep in tomorrow, while the rest of us will be on the road early!

See you at the pub tomorrow.

Dave

Steve F
03-01-14, 07:55 PM
Anyone else got kids going? Our youngest (5) is coming along so be good to know if there are any other kids. As an aside the camper has it's new deep cycle battery (Solar panel did it's job today) and it's almost ready to go, food shopping tonight and heading off 8:00am tomorrow.

http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc200/steveff/Camper/IMG_3594.jpg

Cheers
Steve

Dave
03-01-14, 08:42 PM
Anyone else got kids going? Our youngest (5) is coming along so be good to know if there are any other kids. As an aside the camper has it's new deep cycle battery (Solar panel did it's job today) and it's almost ready to go, food shopping tonight and heading off 8:00am tomorrow.

Cheers
Steve

GOOD NEWS, just called Hunno to check, cos I hadn't heard anything. He and Harmony are already at Sutton Forest and heading for Yass tonight! So there you go, we got to 10 cars and 2 kids. Only slight problem is that Jindy caravan park told me they were full when we had 9 bookings. We might just have to squeeze up a bit. But it'll be cold, we'll be fine!

Dave

Hunno
03-01-14, 09:14 PM
Sutton's Forrest Macca's for dinnerhttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/01/03/apu3ytam.jpg

Wallyd
03-01-14, 09:38 PM
Hunno, where are you staying in Yass??

Hunno
09-01-14, 09:38 PM
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/01/09/uqu4y4u3.jpg
Dave's at it again.

uncaged123
11-01-14, 07:45 PM
Thanks Dave for organising such a great trip and looking forward to Central Australia. Those who made up the group help it to be a really wonderful trip, especially Huno's backboard jeep for his daughter.

Dave
11-01-14, 08:15 PM
Thanks Rob, I think it was a very successful trip - and great fun - very glad you enjoyed it!

Sorry that you and Eddy had to leave early on Friday afternoon, you missed a memorable drive down Long Plain in the rain, but then a beautiful campsite at Blue Waterholes - wild dogs howling in the night and more rain, but it cleared up for a sunny morning walk down the creek canyon, then a pretty good 4WD track to Canberra.

I hope that everyone got home safe, unfortunately we got separated in Canberra and I only managed to catch up with Hunno and Wally in Goulburn.

Thanks EVERYONE for making it so much fun!!!

Dave

Wallyd
11-01-14, 09:00 PM
David, just one word

AWESOME....

Dave
11-01-14, 09:47 PM
David, just one word

AWESOME....

STILL no Like button! Thanks Wally, was great to have you and Alicia along :-)

Dave

redrubi
13-01-14, 12:26 PM
More photos PLEASE!!!!!

Dave
15-01-14, 12:39 PM
Jindabyne today, 36 degrees. Thredbo top station at Eagles Nest 26 degrees. Canberra 40! Very High fire danger.

We picked the right week!!

Dave

2693 2688 2689 2690 2691 2692