PDA

View Full Version : First challange to become a gearhead - LEAKS.. !!!

cbasaussie
16-07-13, 09:41 AM
Good morning fellow Jeep Lovers.

I recently purchased a 95 jeep cherokee XJ, 48000km (only) pretty decent condition (previously owned by military veteran) I LOVE IT... !!!

I have had the car for 3 months and one of the reason why I wanted the car is because I believe every man should have the experience of fixing a car, so here it is my first EVER challange.

lets clarify something.. for most of you.. a car is almost just a lego that you guys can take up apart and put it together in the dark.. to me, this is not even a single GI-JOE to play with.

From making a general assessment and after googling, I think I have a TRANSMISSION OIL LEAK.. why?, well simply because the substance in the pavement is RED..

Now, lets be honest.. Im freaking out.. I'm with one foot on each side - SIDE A = I can do this.. I can fix this, SIDE B = call the mechanic, it will be quicker.. but at the end of the day.. EXPENSIVE..

So any ideas, any links that I can follow? any mentors out there who have the willingness to help me with this journey.

PS: I know most of you will ask if I have gone under jeep to see where the leak comes from.. and the answer is NO, yet.. I leave for work at 5am and I get back home at 8pm so I dont really have daylight to work with at the moment.. and my best place to work also at the moment is the street.. !!!

TRBN8R
17-07-13, 12:33 AM
Hi Mate,

Welcome to the club... Crawl under and check the transmission oil line going to the front of the car. The part where the metal pipes join the rubber hose is normally the biggest culprit....... If thats the case its an easy fix...... just replace the rubber hoses..... At least that was the case with my XJ...

Cheers
Mani...

Wooders
17-07-13, 04:46 AM
Yup we're goning to have to suggest the obvious - grab a torch and crawl under there.
Red would suggest Automatic Transmission Fluid (ATF), this could be front the transmission, lines, cooler, or transfer case. It could also be from you power steering box, pump or lines (although technically you should use Power Steer fluid not ATF in there - they are both often red and very similar in properties).
Without knowing roughly where the leak is coming from we can only dirrect you to likely areas, such as Mani suggested, but you really still need to conquer that fear and crawl under there for at least a visual inspection.
Let us know what you find & well do our best to help.