View Full Version : Which Hawse to buy?

SteveC
19-07-13, 03:23 PM
Hello
Need your quick help before I leave on holidays.
I'm replacing my wire cable with Dyneema rope, so will need a replacement Hawse.
With a variety of words and materials mentioned such as alloy, aluminium, billet, chrome etc. :confused: What type of material should I get or avoid?
BTW I have a Warn XD9000 if that helps
Your help is appreciated

Steve F
21-07-13, 11:03 AM
I wouldn't rush into it as you can use the roller hawse with synthtic cable, you can even get nylon rollers (from ARB) that will fit and are angled to the centre to guide the synthetic cable as some bars wont take a flat hawse and need a roller type. Even the metal rollers will work fine, they are just heavier and bulkier so most dont use them. As for switching, I'd just go with with whatever is the cheapest, probably alloy/aluminium. I run a cast steel hawse with metail cable and the only reason I dont run the rollers is they stick out to far on my bar and doesn't look as cool ;)

Cheers
Steve

SteveC
21-07-13, 11:22 AM
SteveF
Thanks for your reply. I think the option of changing to nylon was a thought but there is the chance of the rope getting caught on the corners from what I heard but not really sure. That's interesting what you say about it angled inwards.

I ended up getting a billet alloy one on ebay for $28 delivers which sounds OK.
Now I'm on the lookout for some rope (hopefully before I leave on holidays next week). I was thinking of 30m of 10mm dyneema. What are your thoughts and where is a good place to buy it from? also can I use the existing hook on the steel with the rope?

I'm with you about the normal fairlead sticking out and it looks ugly (uncool) and protrudes too much. which is why I'm going down that path
Thanks

redrubi
25-07-13, 03:39 PM
Steve what's changed?? I thought "ugly & uncool" was your thing!! LOL

SteveC
25-07-13, 04:32 PM
Ugly is cool when you reach my age, it's when they think you're an old bastard, then ... you worry

btw I got 27m (could not possibly fit more) of 10mm dyneema rope and found an alloy hawse at a good price but the rope came with a sleeve of 1m. I thought that the sleeve should cover at least one layer of the drum but it doesn't. Is that bad?

I also managed to custom my number plate holder to flip up when needed. Now that's cool....

Hunno
25-07-13, 04:53 PM
The sleeve is the as an abrasion protection from sharp edge/ rock ledges.

SteveC
25-07-13, 06:26 PM
The sleeve is the as an abrasion protection from sharp edge/ rock ledges.
Thanks Hunno - Really - 1.5m is not going to do much. I read its to protect it from heat off drum. so there you go

Hunno
25-07-13, 07:56 PM
Thanks Hunno - Really - 1.5m is not going to do much. I read its to protect it from heat off drum. so there you go

Well at least thats what I use it for & its what I trained to do when abseiling.