PDA

View Full Version : Allow myself to introduce...... myself

Nixolus
06-09-13, 01:45 PM
Hi Folks,

I'm Nicholas. I've quietly joined your forum, because I have decided to buy a Jeep. I'm hoping to do this before summer, and I would then be looking to join some trips to learn more about off roading and about my vehicle.

What I want it for:

having a bit of fun,
getting to great off road camping sites,
Fulfuilling life long dream of mine, and my wifes, to have a jeep. In fact it is the last remaining unfullfilled pre-wedding promise I made to her.

What I know so far:

I want a jeep Wrangler JKU
I want a 2012 or 2013 (nothing earlier than that)
Quite like the white colour

What I don't know:

Given that I'm not especially keen to do after market enhancements, should I get a Rubicon up front as being the more capable stock offroader?
Should I buy second hand or new from a dealer? (wonder what sort of wriggle room dealers have price-wise)
Should I get it stock and source accessories from the US or locally (things like the tow bar, offroad bumper/winch) or have them supplied/installed by dealer?
Should i deal with SVM Suttons in Mosman?

DanD
07-09-13, 02:14 AM
Welcome! :)

You definitely will get out and have fun in a JKU! I have a 2 door 2012 and the motor *in Borat voice* is very niice :D

Re your questions
a) You need to have a really good think (and after 6 months of ownership, this might change completely hehe) about what type of offroading you want to do - the rubicon is great, but if you're only going on milder trails, not worth the extra cash - you can sink that into more luxurious camping gear, etc - if you want harder trails, the rubicon might be a good place to start as it has the swaybar disconnect as factory and lockers
b) I bought my JK as a dealer demo - in all honesty, the wrangler is an offroad vehicle - if you buy second hand, you will learn how to fix things on your own that a dealer would / should normally cover under warranty
c) I would personally avoid having *anything* fitted by the dealer - my personal example - the uConnect that the dealer fitted cost me about 700 - Aust mopar *supposedly* only brings in the old model that does not support streaming music over bluetooth, yet all of the factory fitted uConnect modules offer this option - so I have a uConnect module that handles calls, but cant stream music... for 700... a Yaris gets that as standard. (yes, I'm still angry about this after 1 year heh) I'm sure that the dealers have very nice people working for them - but i'd rather go elsewhere for anything aftermarket...
d) I can't help you with this one sorry, I purchased mine through Nepean Motor Group who have been great to deal with, but I have not had any major issues apart from a seat-belt tensioner that took almost six months to 'arrive' due to their computer system not registering correctly (my airbag light was on for all of that time and the only thing they told me was to "not get into an accident" - I'm was patient, and it all got straightened out - if it was a major issue, I would have been annoyed though)

All the best!
Dan

Paul-JK
07-09-13, 08:33 AM
Welcome and good choice! I've had mine for nearly 4 years now and still love it.

You say your not keen to do after market enhancements but then mention getting bumpers etc so I'm not entirely sure what you mean here but in general terms I'd say:

Rubi or Sport
- If you know you're going to drive the sort of trails that need lockers but you don't want the hassle of fitting them later AND you're not really going to change tyre size too much (so you don't need to re-gear) then go the Rubi. If you don't usually need lockers to drive the trails you go on then for me a Rubi is overkill. The standard traction control on the sport is very effective in most conditions, especially with the flex you get with the sway bars disconnected.
- The electronic sway bar disconnect on the Rubi is handy but can break if it gets wet (!) and I don't think it allows quite as much flex as a manual disconnect.
- Rubi gets lower diff gearing and lower transfer case gearing so it's obviously better in the real rough stuff but if you're not rock crawling that could be overkill/unnecessary
- Rubi only comes with the petrol engine. The 3.6 isn't a bad engine mind but if you were after a diesel then you can't get a Rubi

New or second hand
- There are some great second hand JK's coming up, some not very old and barely used on road let alone off road so second had is worth a look. Not seen as many Rubi's advertised though.
- New is nice obviously but depending on your specification choice you might have to wait a while for delivery, especially on the Rubi's

Accessories
- As Dan said, do not get anything from a dealer. The dealer accessories are usually not very good and are always overpriced.
- Have a look at the local suppliers as well as the US ones. I've certainly bought from both for different things. Local guys would be Wooders, Stu Murchuson, SBR Offroad, Uneek 4x4, DBOR, to name a few. Buying from the US can be cheaper in some cases, even after shipping, but not always, and it's often nice to have some local backup.
- If you're getting JKU then I'd also recommend a suspension lift. The 4dr does tend to drag it's belly over everything, especially if it's loaded with camping gear. As an added bonus you'll also get a better ride and handling as I thought the stock suspension was woeful. They may have improved it since I bought mine but mine was awful.
- Your best bet is keep it stock for a little while, get out on some runs with SJC and check out what other people have done. That'll give you a better idea of how much certain mods help or are needed. Suspension wise, there are more kits than you can poke a stick at, some good, some bad. Suspension and ride are very subjective decisions though so rather than just listening to opinions, try and get a ride in someone elses JK who has a similar set up if you can. That way you can feel how it rides before you buy.

SVM
- I used SVM Mosman for my dealer servicing and they're OK, but they're not cheap. I don't think any dealers are but SVM really aren't. They were very accommodating with any/all minor warranty claims I made which was great (until I started adding suspension lifts etc) but they are not very knowledgable about anything aftermarket (in other words they're not really Jeep enthusiasts).
- They're not a bad dealer by any means. There are far worse, like the muppets I bought mine from down in Wollongong.

Have fun choosing!

Wolfe
07-09-13, 09:20 AM
If I were you I'd keep my eye out for a good second hand vehicle. Occasionally modified one come up. We recently had a member sell his modified two door jk for a very good price.
If you buy new and don't intend to go harder trails then I'd suggest buying the Rubicon.
Apart from minor service don't get anything from a dealer. Go see Wooders

Wolfe
07-09-13, 09:21 AM
And welcome aboard.

redrubi
07-09-13, 07:05 PM
Go the rubi!!!

Nixolus
07-09-13, 08:07 PM
Hi guys, thanks for the advice.

lets see;

Dan, So you're saying that unless i am planning to go out hard straight up, I don't need a Rubicon, If I get more serious later I can add sway bar disconnect and lockers through someone like Wooders. And i should source everything else aftermarket as well, like sat nav and so on. Right?, because my wife does want the uconnect sat nav with touch screen. What kind of built in satnav would I look at aftermarket?

Paul, To clarify, I don't consider bolting on a new bumper bar to be any big deal, or adding a snorkel or something, i was more talking about lifting, adding lockers and so on, think undercarriage work. I'm not very mechanical, and I'm pretty sure that i am not going to have spare thousands after this purchase with a young family, and considering the economy. It's likely that, as now, i will always have something better, or at least more pressing to spend the money on.

You seem to be agreeing with all that Dan said, and suggesting I just buy a stock vehicle and then wait and see how my requirements for enhancement develop.

Wolfe,
reading between the lines it seems you are suggesting that if I really want to go on hard trails then i would probably want after market work done, but if I'm not then a Rubicon would be a good idea, which is kind of what I was thinking originally.

I appreciate whats being said about 2nd hand versus new, but I'm seeing pretty similar pricing, second hand JKU Sport 2013 start at around $35,000 and new at $40,000, and we've had some very dodgy luck with second hand vehicles, I think we would just like to buy new and have the warranty and know that no-one has driven like an idiot in the car before.

Redrubi, you are waving the Rubicon flag, as a loyal Rubicon owner should I suppose.

Wallyd
07-09-13, 08:27 PM
I originally had a 2 door sport, loved it, lifted it, spent a fair amount on it. Shit happened and long story short, It went away.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/09/07/ju3e5y5e.jpg

Now I own a 2 door rubicon. In hind sight, I should have gone the rubicon straight off!!! I thought i loved my sport, but man the sex is awesome with the rubicon!!!

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/09/07/yju5a8y8.jpg

DanD
08-09-13, 12:47 AM
Thats not WallyD's daily drive there in the second photo either :P (sorry bud :D)

DLE068
08-09-13, 01:55 AM
Rubicon. There's no other choice.24522453

Wallyd
08-09-13, 08:46 AM
Thats not WallyD's daily drive there in the second photo either :P (sorry bud :D)

Drives just as well as my lancer

If it didn't burn so much fuel compared to my lancer, I'd use it all day.

DanD
08-09-13, 10:46 AM
Now I regret not going for a rubi! :(

Drives just as well as my lancer

If it didn't burn so much fuel compared to my lancer, I'd use it all day.

D.K.
08-09-13, 11:10 AM
There are probably 2 schools of thought whether or not to go Rubi or Sport.
The Rubi option has all the obvious boxes ticked re vehicle capability, blah, blah.

The other school of thought which is probably more relevant to seasoned Jeepers who want to go for full on high ticket items, such as Atlas Transfer Case, Currie Rockjocks or DynaTrac 60 axles, Exotic suspension setups , then getting a Rubi would be a waste because you will be pulling the Rubi components out anyway.

Probably not an issue for you, but as usual its never black and white and when the Jeepin bug bites hard you are doomed. Ha Ha.

AV8
08-09-13, 12:44 PM
With DK on this one. For a noob prolly a Rubi. Seasoned Jeepers are crrrraaaazyyyyy. :highly_amused:. No offense about using the words noob / crazy, I hope. I'm kidding and apologize before hand..:indecisiveness:

DLE068
08-09-13, 03:26 PM
I'm with Wally, if my Rubi didn't burn so much fuel I'd drive it everyday. My 2013 barina 5.5ltr/100km.

redrubi
08-09-13, 08:26 PM
2456oh year!!!

Nixolus
09-09-13, 11:12 AM
Ok, so it's not as clear cut as I thought it would be, and very subjective. i appreciate WallyDs reply as someone who has upgraded to a Rubicon from a sport.

Remember my primary goal is offroad camping, not off roading for it's own sake, so I am not likely to be spending hundreds and thousands on bigger and better bits all the time.

I would like a bit of a lift, just because it looks good and it is a longer wheelbase than the 2Dr, but that's really about it. I don't want to wait for a custom built jobbie, so if i do get a Rubicon, it has to be one I can find on a lot ready to go, I could buy from anywehere on the east coast, no problem flying to Qland or Vic and driving back.

Having said that, I know that my thoughts could change once things get going. I have done a little mild off roading, more sand than rock, I took a fateful trip to Fraser island in an Asia Motors Rocsta a couple of years ago. blew the head gasket and warped the head. not sure if the warping happenned getting off the island, or on the drive back to Sydney. Either way I pushed the car beyond it's limits. (and my darling wife right up to the edge of hers :grumpy:). So I definately would like the car to be capable of whatever trip I'm doing. Yeah, but probably more dirt, mud, sand, as I am partial to the coast and a SCUBA Diver.

So here's new question, or let me put it another way;

If I decide to get a Rubicon, and if we accept that the Rubicon is around 10 grand more than a sport, is it cost effective?, or is it better to get a sport, beef up the front axle to Dana 44, add sway bar disconnect (manual or otherwise) etc, to bring the sport up to the Rubicon capability? has anyone done this or priced it?

AV8
09-09-13, 11:58 AM
I'd say go the Rubi as well. You would want to get the Sports to go past the std Rubi, not up to the Rubi, ie: D60's and 35s or 37s, Sway Bars and Lockers front and rear, etc. If not, the Rubi would be great for when you want more than offroad camping as it is infectious and guarantee to empty your pockets.

Did some B+ trails in Moab in a 4" lifted, 33s Rubi and it was fantastic. An extremely capable vehicle but it could not keep up with others who were on 35s up to 44s and choppers flying over the terrain, obviously.

We dive too and looking at the Yongala in the not too distant future. Where do you go, water is warming up..:smile-new:

Nixolus
09-09-13, 12:06 PM
Hi AV8

By 33s 35s 37s and 44s are you referring to rim size?

AV8
09-09-13, 12:12 PM
Hi Mate, noooooo.. Not wheel size.

That would be too much bling and wayyy past mallcrawler territory. :hypnotysed:

They're tyres to fit usually 15"/16"/17" rims.

Nixolus
09-09-13, 12:14 PM
Right, i need to get to a meeting and kick some tyres

Paul-JK
09-09-13, 01:32 PM
If I decide to get a Rubicon, and if we accept that the Rubicon is around 10 grand more than a sport, is it cost effective?, or is it better to get a sport, beef up the front axle to Dana 44, add sway bar disconnect (manual or otherwise) etc, to bring the sport up to the Rubicon capability? has anyone done this or priced it?

You'd also need to look at diff ratios and transfer cases to get a Sport to a Rubi spec. If you're just going to build it to a Rubi spec then it'd be easier to just buy a Rubi. At least it's all covered under warranty then.

From what you've described that you want from the JK, I think you'd be better off getting a sport and spending some of the 10k on a decent suspension kit (something that can handle the weight of your camping gear for a start) and tyres. Do that and you'll have a JK that'd likely take you as far or further than you're willing to push it anyway and you'll still have 5k in your pocket for when the mod'ing bug bites.......which it will!

Also, I'd not be that confident about finding a Rubi in the yards. They're usually on 6-9 month back order so they'd be a rare thing to find just sitting there waiting for you. You'll also be able to haggle on pricing of Sport a lot more than you can with the Rubi.

If you do know exactly what you want (colour, spec etc) then have a word with someone like Private Fleet. They can source cars from all over Australia and so have access to dealers that you don't. It doesn't cost anything if you don't buy through them and they can sometimes get some good deals.

Nixolus
09-09-13, 02:02 PM
Ok, good advice.

Maybe I'm just looking for someone to tell me that a Sport will be plenty for what I want.
I have found some rubicons in yards, but not many.

Ok I think weighing up all the options Im currently leaning toward a slightly modified sport. (tyres, bumper bars, leather seats (My wifes one mandate, and I quite like them too), and then take some time to consider a moderate lift and perhaps upgraded suspendion.

Paul-JK
09-09-13, 02:30 PM
I have a Sport with 2.5" flexy coil lift and 33" AT tyres and it's more than enough to frighten the hell out of me. I'm not after driving vertical rock walls and the likes partly as that's way beyond my current experience/skill level and partly because the JK is my DD (and I enjoy it as such) and I can't afford to not have a car because it needs fixing after last weekend. Similarly to you, we enjoy getting away camping and getting off the beaten track but a mildly modded JK will do that in spades and still have plenty left if you want to push it a bit harder. I've never been stuck, and while some will say that's because I haven't tried hard enough (and they might be right), it doesn't get babied either. I've no doubt that lockers would allow me to drive some tracks more easily or to drive harder tracks but if you don't know how to use them properly (which I don't) lockers can just ensure you get even more stuck in more difficult places rather than stopping you from getting stuck at all. Would I like lockers.....absolutely. Do I need them for the driving I do.......no, not really.

Once you've owned it for a while and if you then decide you want to drive harder tracks you can then mod it to suit but if it's a balance of DD/family duties/weekend play/camping trips then I suspect a Sport will do you just fine.

Nixolus
09-09-13, 03:07 PM
Paul,

Ok great, This is what i wanted to hear. I'll be able to get a thumper and fridge, and the new tent that "we can stand up in" that my wife wants.

How much did your lift cost?

Paul-JK
09-09-13, 03:25 PM
My lift cost about $2k. That's for Suspension Stuff flexy coils (not the cheapest by any stretch but very good progressive coils with 5 year anti-sag guarantee), Rancho adjustable shocks, JKS sway bar links/disconnects, Teraflex front track bar & rear track bar bracket, & AEV geometry correction brackets.

You've got fitting on top of that but to be honest (and with the benefit of hindsight) you're better off giving it a go yourself. I didn't as I'd never done anything mechanical before in my life but I've since had every component out and back in again for one reason or another (just me tinkering!) and it's not that difficult. The added bonus is you learn more about the JK while you're at it. SJC are a friendly bunch as well so for the sake of a few beers there are always people willing to come lend a hand, or Wooders runs toolbox days where you can go over to his workshop and fit things up with a little tuition and guidance from others who learned the hard way.

Jeep11
09-09-13, 03:29 PM
Hey Nick, I would have to agree with Paul, I was pretty lucky to a JK sports 2011, with a few bits and pieces on it, and it had really low K's, in saying that I love my 4wdriving and camping and it gets me where I need to be, the greatest thing about being part of the club is that when you go trips, you can see all the different mods on other Jeeps and how they work and are they worth it. When I brought it, I told my wife I would not need to spend a cent, because it had everything we needed LOL............sliders and disconnects, and I now have everything I need LOL, oh I also wanted a supercharger, till I saw Kev's blow up. But the list will be endless, but I would go the sport, but that's me........Cant wait to meet you on a trip........I will be the concerned one on every track LOL Steve and Hayley

Nixolus
09-09-13, 04:52 PM
Great, thanks Paul, Steve

The fog is clearing now. I still want to know if you guys have sat nav? My wife is keen for the uconect package. is it better to get an after market solution, and will the steering wheel controls still work with an after market unit?

Jeep11
09-09-13, 05:56 PM
I have after market unit, in dash VMS. It's great, iPod ,blue tooth, tyre psi and temps, NAV, a heap of other stuff that just confuses me, oh DVD, Hayley loves that LOL and it also has a wireless.
yes the steering controls works with mine.

Paul-JK
09-09-13, 06:04 PM
I just have the standard 6-stacker unit, a parrot bluetooth kit for the phone, and separate GPS, and mine's an MY10 so I didn't get steering wheel controls.......hell I didn't even electric door mirrors! I've no doubt the sound geeks and techno freaks would be horrified at my basic set up but it works well enough for me.

I've not heard any good comments about the U-Connect, either in it's functionality or the updatability. My guess would be (similar to most dealer fitted options) save your money and buy aftermarket......VMS, Polaris, etc if you want an in-build replacement unit.

Nixolus
10-09-13, 10:47 AM
Right thanks to everyone for their contribution.

It is great to have access to so many jeep owners opinions, and even if the views are not all aligned, I can take some learnings away from this.

So I think I will get a Sport Renegade with AT Tyres, not worry about dealer accessories and get after market accessories according to a schedule of works that i am yet to devise and present to my wife for approval. Then after a few trips, look at a lift and suspension upgrade. and whatever else I have found out I must have.

This is assuming I dont find a modified jeep to buy in the first place.

This is all good stuff and I'm glad to have a plan. My time frame is a little hazy as yet. I am hoping to be in a position to do this within two months. But a lot of finger crossing is required, and I'm constantly facing the threat of redundancy, thanks to the economy. So fingers crossed my workload picks up and I can afford to move out a little further along the limb.

I literally can't wait to get my jeep and start loving the journey.

Wolfe
11-09-13, 06:45 PM
Sure seems like a great plan, let's hope the economy and the minister of finance don't squash your dreams. You should come along to a club meeting when you next get the chance.

Nixolus
12-09-13, 10:20 AM
Sure seems like a great plan, let's hope the economy and the minister of finance don't squash your dreams. You should come along to a club meeting when you next get the chance.

Well it's a plan anyway. I don't have a minister of finance luckily, I am very lucky to have a minister of Support, with a second portfolio of (not letting me eat too much junk) Health. So it's just the economy I need to worry about. I will see what i can do about the club meeting, it's on the wrong side for me, and not always easy to go out at night with my little one, but i would like to check it all out, with any luck I will have the jeep by then too.

dobbo56
12-09-13, 04:48 PM
come and check our site at the 4X4 Supershow at Eastern Creek next month, all details are on this website. Cheers Doggy Dave.

Heidi
13-09-13, 12:26 PM
We have just picked up our Rubicon Unlimited, it has a 2 inch lift, rear tow hitch with 50mm receiver and a ARB winch bar on the front
(no winch yet) it is my daily driver and our family car and will tow our camper trailer when we go away. We will put bigger tyres on when the orginal ones need replacing. I went with the standard Uconnect - it does the BT streaming, we will use an Ipad app for sat navigation as we have more selection of available map's - we do lots of touring.
We also have a TJ that is now the play car and Brian's daily driver.
Compared to the TJ the JK has awesome fuel economy :)

Nixolus
13-09-13, 03:41 PM
Hi Heidi, sounds exciting. Did you have to wait long for the Rubicon?

I've pretty much decided to get the VMS sat nav, and I found out they are releasing new upgraded models in September, and the prices look like they are coming down considerably as well.

You are the first person to put the word awesome in a sentence describing JK fuel economy, Well done.

Nixolus
13-09-13, 03:42 PM
Doggy dave, i can't find any references to a show at Eastern creek, where on this website is it?

SteveC
13-09-13, 04:55 PM
FYI Eastern Creek is now called Sydney Motorsport Park .

Heidi. I wouldn't be sure about the JK (well the 3.6) having awesome fuel economy but then compared to others it's OK I suppose

dobbo56
13-09-13, 05:16 PM
sorry mate its in the members only section, but the 4WD Adventure Show is on 18 th 20th October at Sydney Motor Sport Park at Eastern Creek. Doggy Dave..

dobbo56
13-09-13, 05:18 PM
Only the Raceway has changed its name, Eastern Creek is still Eastern Creek. DD..

Heidi
16-09-13, 11:11 AM
Compared to the last big trip we did in the TJ coming back from SA we where averaging 25 lt to the 100km :( we are currently doing about 12.4 on the way home from the snow.

I had to wait a while for the lease company to sort out some stuff and ARB at Penrith to do the extra's.

Nixolus
16-09-13, 12:44 PM
Wow, I had an Asia motors Rocsta that did mileage like that, turned out there was a hole in the petrol tank.

Heidi
16-09-13, 01:12 PM
the TJ has a few electrical issues that we are still working through but I think it might have been evapourating as we where driving in temps of over 45 degree's. We where fully loaded with the roof rack full and towing the camper with a kyack on top so probably did not help.

Nixolus
16-09-13, 01:18 PM
yeah temperature is interesting, I don't understand why black jeeps are so popular in this country. I know lots of people in black cars keep their aircon on all summer, at least around where I live. people don't even turn their cars off when the bridge is up anymore. Can't help fuel consumption. Personally I can't wait to get the top off and embrace the heat.

But it's a bit unfair on your poor TJ to judge it's fuel consumption fully loaded and pulling a trailer.

Paul-JK
16-09-13, 02:29 PM
Yeh, my last car was black and that was one of the reasons I went for a light coloured JK.......of course I didn't consider at the time that regardless of the colour of your JK you still have a black roof :hopelessness: (or at least you did back then as there weren't any body coloured hard tops).

Nixolus
16-09-13, 02:38 PM
That's a good point paul, i forgot that my White JK will have a black roof, but it does look insulated, is it i wonder?

Anyway, all the more reason to take the roof off, although the reality is that with a two year old in the back, I wont be able to go roofless for a while, most of the time anyway.

Paul-JK
16-09-13, 02:53 PM
No, they're not insulated. Mine used to get so hot you could barely touch the underside of it and if you're tallish and a little threadbare on top then you can certainly feel it on the top of your head.

I got some insuliners for mine. They weren't cheap but they were the only ones available at the time. There are a lot more available now, some a lot cheaper, but I'm still happy with mine......and I get my money's worth out of them as I never take the hard top off. They make a massive difference to internal temps, meaning the air con can cope a lot better, or may not be needed at all. I think it's probably even more beneficial if you have people in the back a lot as there aren't any air con vents in the back. I used to notice that the air con would cool the front seat area but as soon as you switched it off you could feel the heat roll through again from the back as that hadn't air been cooled.

Nixolus
16-09-13, 03:11 PM
You can crack the rear windows slightly to let the hot air out, if you have rear windows. Only for a while, then close them and enjoy the frigid temps of an aircon car, otherwise yeah, you're heat is going to come back at you.

I rarely use air con myself, i prefer to roll down the window, even if the air outside is hot. although in the country in summer with the ladies in the car, i proably will use it more often.

I'm looking at insulation now, it looks like a a bunch of different solutions for a thin pad that is stuck to the inside of the hardtop. ranging from high tech rubber, to speaker carpet (or whatever you call that stuff they coat speaker boxes and amplifiers with).

Makes sense from an acoustic POV. This may be the first time i have a decent car stereo, i'd like to make the most of it.

Paul-JK
16-09-13, 03:35 PM
To be honest I didn't notice that much difference in noise reduction.

At the time I was getting mine, Insuliners were the only ones available that stated results from temperature tests, demonstrating their effectiveness at thermal insulation. Others all marketed them for sound insulation but didn't mention much about heat. They may all do the same job and are just marketed in different ways but that was the deciding factor for me in picking which ones to get. That was about 3 years ago though. I've also heard of people making their own as well.

I often try to keep the windows down but if I'm on the phone (handsfree of course) the windows need to be up. You also notice a huge difference when you come back to the JK after it's been parked in the sun for a while. I used to start it up, put the air con on, then close the doors and leave it for 5 minutes before I got in as it was like a furnace. I'm not saying it doesn't get hot at all now but it doesn't get uncomfortably hot any more. Certainly keeps it cool enough to just get in and drive away without feeling like you're going to melt or pass out.

Nixolus
16-09-13, 03:47 PM
My curent car gets hot too, but i just open all the windows and drive away, the hot air leaves pretty quickly, i like the idea of doing it myself, i have an idea of how i could do this after looking at a couple of other examples. might be really cool to match it to the custom leather seats I have promised my wife.

I think acoustic is definately my number one interest, not so much road noise, as the stereo sound bouncing around. I might make this my first mod.

Thanks for the advice.

Nixolus
18-09-13, 01:25 PM
Well, I have put down a deposit. I didnt get the dealer to the price i wanted but I guess i did ok. Unfortunately i had to get a completely standard sport, So i will probably be asking about AT tyres soon. Anyone here plasti dipped their rims?

Once I actually have the GP I will start drawing up a wishlist. I will try to come to a club night, and hopefully can take a look at some of your favourite enhancements.

fingers crossed it will be in my hands in a couple of weeks.

Paul-JK
18-09-13, 01:58 PM
Congrats. I know you'll love it. How long until you pick it up?

There are a few who have plasti dipped their rims but don't get the dealer to do it. When I last spoke to a dealer about it they were going to charge something like $275 a wheel to do it! Might as well buy new wheels at that price.

Nixolus
18-09-13, 03:07 PM
Yeah no, there is nothing i can afford the dealer to do for me.

I'm happy to spray them myself, since I can just peel it off if i screw it up.

I am waiting for some money to come through, but I'm really hoping i can get it before Oct1 my anniversary.

Heidi
18-09-13, 03:53 PM
how exciting! Welcome to Jeeping :)

Nixolus
18-09-13, 04:21 PM
Hi, thanks Heidi. I must admit right now i just feel a bit sick at the expediture. But I'm pretty sure once i drive away i will feel very fine. and on the upside, if i do get retrenched and have to live in my car, I'd rather live in a GP than a mazda. I keep looking to my wife to tell me I'm crazy, but she keeps encouraging me. She's bordering on irresponsible.

dobbo56
18-09-13, 04:44 PM
Hey Nic, you wont regret getting the Jeep, I have a 2011 3.8 Sport and love it, its like no other car I've had before. When I bought mine it had the stock rims painted by the dealer, cost $900.00, earlier this year I bought a second set of stock rims off Ebay, cheep and sprayed them my self, all up cost, $30.00 and they look just as good. I did mine in Auto Acrylic lacquer in satin black so there is no going back. I have my 33inch muddies on one set and 32inch road tires on the other.2499 P.S. Welcome to the family of Jeep. Doggy Dave.:highly_amused:

SteveC
18-09-13, 04:51 PM
Good one. Where about north shore do you live and which dealer did you choose?

Jeep11
18-09-13, 05:18 PM
Welcome Nic, I wouldn't be to worried about what you paid, I would be more worried about what you are going to spend, because once that jeep bug bites, you will just wanting to keep adding and adding.........and you will love it......see on the trails Steve and Hayley

Paul-JK
18-09-13, 05:27 PM
Welcome Nic, I wouldn't be to worried about what you paid, I would be more worried about what you are going to spend, because once that jeep bug bites, you will just wanting to keep adding and adding.........and you will love it......see on the trails Steve and Hayley

Ahh, you're just trying to frighten him now. It'll be fine.........but whatever you don't ask how much I've spent on mine since I bought it. I'd probably frighten myself adding it all up and if I did then I'd risk the better half finding out and that wouldn't be pretty!

Nixolus
18-09-13, 05:43 PM
Yep, that's why I pushed my budget to get a new jeep, I figure I may have it for a while. better start new.

I bought it from Mosman SVM in the end, but it was a toss up between them and Norrthern beaches Suttons.
I live in Mosman, and i pass my jeep every day on the bus. made it hard to resist.

In the end I don't think they dropped their price that much, but It was under my redline so I am happy (apart from the knot in my stomach)

Dave, yeah, the dealer said the painted wheels were around $900, That's why I said no thanks. Anyway I can live with silver Rims, i just want to get AT tyres ASAP. I was going to put the ones from my Rocsta on, but the rims are smaller on the Rocsta unfortunately.

I was thinking of just painting them black myself, but the plasti dip looks good, and seems easy enough, as well as reversable, so I'm going to give it a go.

dobbo56
18-09-13, 07:14 PM
I think Jet Kev did his rims with plasti dip. ask him about it. Doggy.

Steven.Boyd
18-09-13, 07:22 PM
Plastidip is a great product. I have done a few things on my jeep.

It is holding up well even using the high pressure washing

in terms of on wheels all it will take is to rub on the curb and it will rip and if you scrap your wheels while offloading it will also rip.

it can be repaired with thinners and respraying (see YouTube videos) and its a pain.

Wallyd
18-09-13, 08:14 PM
Ask the dealer how much the difference will be to drive it away with the all terrains on it. My mate paid approximately $500 or so on top to have them swapped to the BFG KM2!!!

Nixolus
19-09-13, 07:51 AM
Hi Wally, the dealer wants something stupid for the bigger tyres, tyres plus wheels was well over $2000 extra. Plus the tyres he had there were mud terrains, I would prefer ATs.

Steven, pretty sure scraping the rims will damage them, whatever I do, my mums alloy wheels are scraped to buggery. I"ll cross that bridge when I see how frequently it occurs.

SteveC
19-09-13, 10:33 AM
Mosman - that's only up the road from me at Castlecrag (Willoughby).
I'd recommend stay with the OEM rims for now, as they appear to be the right size for what you intend to do. Perhaps hunt down a set of tyres in either 265/70/17 or 285/70/17 (if they are 17" rims). Any of the common named tyres will do , just depends on budget I suppose
Steve

Nixolus
19-09-13, 11:05 AM
Hi Steve, yep, no plans to change the rom size, just the colour. I just want to change out the regular tyres for AT tyres

redrubi
19-09-13, 02:22 PM
Try spray Teflon, a mate of mine does his motor bike wheels with it, seems to last.:encouragement:

Nixolus
28-09-13, 08:28 PM
Well we picked up our GP on Thursday, timed to allow me to drive it to Cowra for a site visit for work. A good chance to start the engine off correctly. Was a great trip and love it. Not sure what all the people who say its uncomfortable and far from luxurious are comparing it to, compared to my clapped out Rocsta is some sort of dream machine.

We tried sleeping in the back, but it wasn't really working out so we ended up driving back to Sydney in the night. What a fun ride. Had the top off today for a test, super fun. No place to store the hard top though so that's a problem with summer coming.

Wallyd
28-09-13, 08:39 PM
What is GP???

Maggie
28-09-13, 09:23 PM
What is GP???

Thanx Wally, has me puzzled as well

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 4

Jeep11
28-09-13, 09:32 PM
I think it's short for jeep ????

Cpage66
28-09-13, 09:33 PM

Ford GPW maybe?? ???

AV8
28-09-13, 09:41 PM
Eugene....

Jeep11
28-09-13, 09:42 PM
That's why they had trouble sleeping in the back :highly_amused:

Maggie
28-09-13, 09:43 PM
Looks like the one out with us today, that was a great to see him and Flatfender out there.

Nixolus
28-09-13, 11:19 PM
It means jeep of course.

redrubi
29-09-13, 01:31 AM
G.P. (general purpose vehicle) was later changed to JEEP, gotta love them YANKS!!!

Maggie
29-09-13, 08:34 AM
JUST EMPTY EVERY POCKET.

redrubi
29-09-13, 11:03 PM
2528 Just get BIGGER pockets!!!:encouragement:

jetkev
09-10-13, 04:18 PM
Wow a lot of discussion with great information before buying. I just bought it blindfolded then I do the 4wd. Went to Wheeny creek last Sunday but the power steering pump overheat AGAIN. Damn I haven't had a clean run so far.

GOOD LUCK WITH YOUR NEW JEEP WHICHEVER ONE U DECIDED ON.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

Nixolus
14-10-13, 04:48 PM
Thanks Kev,

To tell you the truth, no amount of research would have made much difference, I've been into Jeeps since I was making WWII dioramas as a kid, not to mention watching re-runs of Sea Hunt with lloyd bridges.

We have had a great time so far, no problems.

My only real issue is the design of the rear window and tailgate. I don't like that you can't open the window without first opening the tailgate. I wish the window rolled down into the tailgate like an old HR holden Station Wagon, I'd happily forgo the rear wipers if it did.

Sounds like your vehicle is pretty new, I hope it's just teething problems.

jetkev
16-10-13, 09:19 PM
Thank you for a positive note. I am heading to Port Stephen this weekend, I hope all go well. I have so much issues with electronic swaybar disconnect, I replace a manual one when I am back next week. Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

Nixolus
19-11-14, 08:29 AM
Update.

I've had the wrangler for just over a year now. I love it. Every drive is fun, even to pick up the daughter from childcare.
Modifications so far - none really, I did plastidip my rims and jeep badge black, which looks great, oh and I disabled the springs on the rear headrests.
Trips so far - nothing off road really, I did try to go to glow worm tunnel but with my wife 8 months pregnant was unable to get very far down the track.
Meetings attended - 0, it's very hard to get out and now I have two babies even harder. However I'm starting to get sticky tyres from all the bitumen driving. Getting keen to join a trip so I will try to come to the next one.

Have been researching lifts, confusion is getting out of hand. Planning to get a uneek roofrack, and a tow hitch. Also UHF radio.

Dieselcon
19-11-14, 09:31 AM
Don't have time to read up... What type of wrangler did you get?. If your keen for a drive am doing a recci down south with Sal Syl and Heri in a couple of weeks.. Nothing hard.. Touring trip near Yalwal/conjola.. But don't tell anyone ;)

Dru
19-11-14, 06:36 PM
Just ran through this thread. Very interesting. Diesel its a JK Sport '13 model. Nice!

Nixolus, get a leave pass and come wheelin'. I've been on board only 4 months and can tell you it's one hell of a crew. I'd bite Dieselcon's arm off with his offer.

Nixolus
20-11-14, 07:15 AM
That's a really great offer Diesalcom, I would love to go on something like that, I am much more comfortable in small groups. It's pretty far though, what time would you be setting out?

AV8
20-11-14, 08:11 AM
Hi mate, 7.45 am at Albion Park Macca's.

Dieselcon
20-11-14, 08:29 AM
Hi mate, 7.45 am at Albion Park Macca's.
Dru and Nixolus.
Recci to 12 mile on Saturday Nov 29th . will be fun..

fr33lanc3r
20-11-14, 10:19 PM
Just thought I would say hi to everyone . Got my 14 JKU Sport about 2 months ago now and really keen to get out and start enjoying it even more than I already am. Look forward to meeting people as well.

Dieselcon
20-11-14, 10:22 PM
Welcome fr33 ... Coming into warmer weather there will be more trips happening... Where are u from?

fr33lanc3r
20-11-14, 10:26 PM
Thanks Dieselcon. Sounds great looking forward to them. I am in the inner west Sydney.

Nixolus
27-11-14, 01:59 PM
I now have a mopar hitch receiver and wiring loom to install once i work out the instructions
And I went ahead and put some door sills on because on a white Jeep those scratch marks show up really well.

dobbo56
27-11-14, 06:27 PM
The beauty of a White car is that the scratches polish out more easily than a coloured one, a lot easier to keep looking new.

AV8
28-11-14, 07:42 AM
As well as being physically prepared for off road, such as recovery gear gear, mud tyres, protection, I reckon we have to be mentally prepared as well. The vehicle will get scratched, dented, bumped, bruised and broken. That's part of the "fun". You'll learn to fix it up and make it better.

Ever heard this?

Just
Empty
Every
Pocket

:highly_amused:

Maggie
28-11-14, 06:13 PM
As well as being physically prepared for off road, such as recovery gear gear, mud tyres, protection, I reckon we have to be mentally prepared as well. The vehicle will get scratched, dented, bumped, bruised and broken. That's part of the "fun". You'll learn to fix it up and make it better.

Ever heard this?

Just
Empty
Every
Pocket

:highly_amused:
Just expect expensive parts

Nixolus
28-11-14, 10:22 PM
Seems a bit negative

what about

Just enjoy every piece
Or Journey every exciting place
Or Jeeps easily exceed Pajeros
Or Jeeps excel every place

Although it's cheating a bit using jeep as the first word.

Nixolus
28-11-14, 10:24 PM
Speaking of kids,

How old generally should kids be to go on trails? I mean, my 4 year old would be totally fine with bouncing around, but when she falls asleep her head just drops forward in the stupid car seat, and I don't think that would be good, her head just rolling around on her poor little neck. So old enough to not fall asleep?

What do others with kids think?

Dieselcon
28-11-14, 11:17 PM
I have 2 kids and most have seen mine grow up over the last 4 years.. Bree is 8 and Telia 16... Mani takes his kids out most times aswell. Maybe 2.5 and onwards. It depends on the difficulty of track as well.

Dieselcon
28-11-14, 11:19 PM
Our club caters for all from the young to the old to the single to the family... As long as you enjoy the outdoors .... And drive a jeep it's all good.

TRBN8R
29-11-14, 12:09 AM
Young one is 23 months and goes on D grade trips. This Jambo will be her second one.... First one was in the tummy.... Older one started 4wding 18 months old, now she is 7yrs..... and yes they are fast asleep by the end of the trip...

Steve F
29-11-14, 08:26 AM
My youngest was 2 1/2 (a few months off 3) when we did Cape York, that was 20 something days straight in the Jeep and a roof top tent. She loved it, we got home and her first question was "Where are we camping tomorrow". We took a kneck pillow (kids one) that you use on planes to hed provide some support while she was asleep, but we did tend to wake her up for the exciting stuff anyway as asleep all day in the Jeep meant no sleep at night :)

All three of my kids (now 6 through to 17) have been wheelin since they were little and when we sold the XJ a month back the 6 year old was in tears as she has a lot of memories and fun times in that Jeep so I had to make a lot of promises of new memories in the JK :)

http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc200/steveff/Cape%20York/IMG_1557_zps814d1905.jpg

Cheers
Steve

jk_menace
29-11-14, 07:03 PM
Our teenage boys still enjoy going bush in the Jeep. Especially now that L plates are involved. My sixteen year old son today talked me into fitting a snorkel and disconnects to our 2013 JKU, we had music, cold drinks, grinder, drill, tools everywhere. What a great day out tinkering with my son and my Jeep without leaving the backyard. Experience priceless.
Grinding into a perfectly good bonnet. Mmmm. Great result at the end of the day....

Nixolus
29-11-14, 09:49 PM
That's cool Menace.

I hope Charlie wants to learn too some day, if it's financially feasible to own or run a car by then.

Thanks for your input folks.

Nixolus
29-11-14, 09:58 PM
I had a great time on the 12 Mile reconnoitre today.

it was great to meet a few folks and see some jeeps. thanks to Dru and Kerry for the advice, and Harry for the use of the radio, and to Jose for the invitation and the watchful eye.

The two and a half hour journey home was a bit rough, but it was worth it.

Dieselcon
30-11-14, 12:12 AM
Glad you had a great time nick.. Join our club get into more of the trips.. I will post a run to Colo wheeny creek in the coming weeks. It's closer for you and is a lot more 4wd involved. Today was a D grade and wheeny would be a b+ with bypasses.

AV8
30-11-14, 11:49 AM
Seems a bit negative...

Just how you see it. It's been a positive negative for me. Happily going broke, at least that's what I tell myself. :highly_amused::highly_amused: Glad you enjoyed the day out with the guys.

http://i1118.photobucket.com/albums/k610/joyschtik/99bc5be7bc2ded13a35cbce26afb94f6.jpg