PDA

View Full Version : Advise on Bullbar

Unstable
15-09-13, 07:41 PM
Hi Guys,

Im looking at getting a bullbar for my 2010 Jk, So far Ive got two quotes, ARB & TJM.
From memory (Lost the quote paper) ARB quoted $1800 for bar and 3 hour install.
TJM - T3 Steel Winch Bar - $1100.00 inc GST plus 3 hours labour at $300.
The $400 price difference is a quality price difference? The bars look slightly different, but nothing major.
Is their any other places I could get a quote from? Strapped for cash this time of year.
Im really after opinions & experiences.

Thanks in advance

Paul-JK
15-09-13, 08:37 PM
Have a look at Uneek 4x4. Dave's got a JK bar that's between these 2, both in cost and looks. ADR approved (as the TJM & ARB ones are) and made in Melbourne.

Don't think I'd both paying for fitment. I'll admit I've never fitted a bar but I'm surprised it'd take ARB 3 hrs to fit their own bar. Better off spending 3 hrs under your own JK and giving it a go. Worst case......case of beer and some mates and you're still $250 better off!

DanD
15-09-13, 08:59 PM
I got the uneek4x4 front bar and installed it myself in about 1.5-2 hours (include the time to drink a six pack and appropriate dunny breaks)

the bar still in its bubble wrap sarcophagus - I took delivery that morning, so was (at first) ogling the new purchase - the bar weighs about 40kg - so can be a bit err awkward to lift up to waist height hehe:
http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q211/WhiteMeatVarmint/IMG_1417_zps73be8a99.jpg

After about 2 beers and a bit of head scratching (I drink fast when I dont have to drive anywhere - saves me from those annoying "can you take me to where-ever" ones) I decided to see how difficult it would be to take off the factory front bumper... Was only about 12 bolts - can still see the last 8 bolts (4 on either side) left to take off - this was probably the longest part of the uneek bar install out of the whole lot!
http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q211/WhiteMeatVarmint/IMG_1418_zps6c547ab3.jpg

The uneek bar itself can hang off the factory body (not sure of correct term here - the two bars that the bumper attaches to - is that body or chassis?) When it is hanging on the body, hook a shoulder under the top hoop to work it into line and start the first bolt by hand, then do another bolt on the opposite side, I only did them finger tight so that I wouldn't have to worry too much about getting the other 6 bolts in
http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q211/WhiteMeatVarmint/IMG_1420_zps3a5c6127.jpg

If everything is there (bolts, etc) it can be done in a couple of hours and a few beers later!

dobbo56
15-09-13, 09:27 PM
almost right Dan, those two posts are the chassis rails and the body hangs off them. DD. p.s. cool pics and vids Dan.

DanD
15-09-13, 09:48 PM
Cheers DD :D !

Figured that the two posts had something to do with the chassis somehow hehe

Now that I remember - the uneek bar also doesn't require anything to be relocated - it is a just a straight up bolt-on job (no - I dont get a commission from uneek for this haha)

Hunno
15-09-13, 10:12 PM
Try Wooders, http://Www.wooders.com.au

Unstable
17-09-13, 10:47 PM
I really like the idea of installing my own bar, uneek ones look pretty good. But saying that, the price difference isnt much, compared to TJM's supply and apply, what makes the uneek bar different, any idea why it is $300 difference from the TJM?
Wooders didn't seem to have any on the website?
thanks for the replys guys, I appreciate all the input

Paul-JK
17-09-13, 11:20 PM
I'd say there's more involved in making the Uneek bar than the TJM. The Uneek one has upswept side wings for greater clearance whereas the TJM is just a flat topped bar. To create the upswept wings takes more time than the relatively simple flat top design of the TJM. The TJM one has also been on the market since the early days of the JK ('07?) so you'd like to assume TJM have already sold enough of them to pay of the design and development and have therefore been able to stave off any price increases.

I know Uneek have also worked on keeping the weight to a minimum on the Uneek bar (to limit the adverse affects strapping a hunk of steel to the front of your JK will have on your front suspension & handling). I think they've got it to about 40Kg's whereas ARB is certainly a good bit heavier. Not sure TJM though. Keeping strength without weight is not always a cheaper way of manufacture.

I suppose it all comes down to personal preference. I've looked at them a bit as I would like to get one and when finances allow I think I'd go with the Uneek but each to their own. If you're less concerned about ADR compliance then have a look on Quadratec or sites like that in the US. The choices are endless. I think Smittybilt have also just released a new bar which looked OK and I think DBOR are selling and that seemed quite cheap from memory, though be warned that Smittybilt have a reputation of being cheap for a reason!

SteveC
18-09-13, 10:41 AM
Best advice I can give is pick the one that appeals to your tastes. Don't listen to others as it really is a personal thing.
I think that some of them are quite ugly, especially the uneek. DBOR and TJM and including mine which is XHD. IMO the best looking is the ARB and if you haggle enough you should be able to get one supplied for about $1350. I only chose the Rugged Ridge as it was the one I could afford due to lack of funds.
If you look at ausjeepoffroad.com, there is images of many that others in the JK sections that have installed.

Wallyd
18-09-13, 08:17 PM
I loooooove my AEV bars!!!

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/09/18/gupeve4e.jpg