PDA

View Full Version : Mitchell Bros

DLE068
19-09-13, 12:12 PM
Has anybody had any dealings with Mitchell Bros. are they any good.

Paul-JK
19-09-13, 12:23 PM
They seem to get lots of positive feedback from people who've used them, and seem to be gaining more of a reputation with work on Jeeps in particular.

I've not personally used them for anything but did speak to them about getting a suspension lift for the JK. To be honest I found them a bit arrogant. They weren't very forthcoming with info/suggestions and didn't seem overly enthusiastic. They were very enthusiastic about showing me all the extensive work they'd done on fitting out a new Patrol but when it came to answering questions or giving advice on lifting the JK it all seemed to get a little too hard. Now I might have just caught them on a bad day but it did put me off and in the end I didn't use them. That was 2 years ago now mind and as I say they do seem to be getting more and more good reviews lately.

Nixolus
19-09-13, 12:33 PM
I used them,
They helped me out when i needed to fit a plate to the inside of my bumper on the Rocsta to allow a recovery point.

They were really busy as i turned up out of the blue and in a hurry, but they took the time to explain what i needed, and after i went up to Edcon and bought a steel plate and the right tensile bolts, were nice enough to drill the holes for me (I paid them of course, i mean nice enough to fit me in)

This was the day before the Fateful Fraser island trip and if I hadn't had the help i would have been stuffed, as, although i didnt get bogged at all, i did stall in a creek when I forgot to replace the breather hose, and we all know whet happens to vehicles who get caught in the creeks for to long.

They seemed to know offroading, and didn't come across as particularly arrogant to me. This was also two years ago.

I was referred to them by Brookvale Muffler and Mechanical, in the same street, who have serviced my cars for years and have been great.

Cpage66
19-09-13, 12:42 PM
They know Zooks and Pootrols...

Jeeps, not so much. When a bunch of us showed up there one Saturday morning for a ramp day a few years back we were definately the odd ones out...(More than usual)

Steve F
19-09-13, 12:51 PM
They know Zooks and Pootrols...

Jeeps, not so much. When a bunch of us showed up there one Saturday morning for a ramp day a few years back we were definately the odd ones out...(More than usual)

You forgot to mention that we came 1st, 2nd and 3rd (I think) in our class :) Flogging the Patrols and Suzukis and only beaten by full on comp trucks. Pretty sure they also own a JK now and that they were sponsors of our 2012 Jamboree. I'd give them a go.

Cheers
Steve

SteveC
19-09-13, 04:39 PM
Stay away from them

shefy
19-09-13, 06:38 PM
Personally I've had a bad experience with Mitchell bros that could have ended very badly for me and my Jeep.
I have chosen Mitchell bros to do the bulk of the work on my build for the TJ just over two years ago, having installed the ARB bullbar and winch, some mechanical work, leaks, service and fit out generally finding them to be on the expensive side at $110ph and charging for every little bit. I wouldn't mind as long as I felt that it was high quality and reliable work.
In September 2011 I had to take the Jeep down to Melbourne and a few days prior had Mitchell bros replace the suspension with a 2" set of EFS 9000 shocks and coils and on the afternoon before departing I popped in to ask if he could install a set of wheel spacers on I just got from Wooders (at 30 seconds each with a rattle gun) he charged me $110 to put them on (I paid $110 for the spacers), I would have done it my self but for the rush I was in and the lack of time.

I wasn't quite out of Sydney when the Jeep started getting some serious death wobbles every time I took the foot off the accelerator, applying breaks or curves on the road to the point I could barely keep it in my lane, after several stops I finally had to pull of the road in Yass and jacked up the rear only to find out that the nuts holding the rear wheels were loose (unscrewed them off by hand) and so were the nut holding the spacer to the hub, at this point some of the thread was stripping.

The real shock came when I was under the Jeep and saw the break line pinched under the coil inside the coil bucket and not under the bucket which could have cut my break line from the movement of the spring.

2500 2501 2502
Right coil, break line inside the coil bucket seat under spring Left coil, break line under coil bucket seat

I was on the phone to him and sent him photos on the spot.
The disappointing thing was his response and trying to down play the seriousness of the situation, he let one of the young boys do the work and obviously did not check it, for my part I knew I could never trust his work again and after a heated phone discussion I never went there again.
From then on I ALWAYS check the work when I put it in and when I pick it up going over every detail with the business owner.

I take the point made of some arrogance as I felt it too on times.

Shefy.

Cpage66
19-09-13, 08:19 PM
You forgot to mention that we came 1st, 2nd and 3rd (I think) in our class :) Flogging the Patrols and Suzukis and only beaten by full on comp trucks. Pretty sure they also own a JK now and that they were sponsors of our 2012 Jamboree. I'd give them a go.

Cheers
Steve

Only ramp day ever where we had to back up it as well, being held by a little guy with a ski rope...fun times!

stevet
20-09-13, 12:33 AM
They are family related to ARB Penrith shop.................

Blackzook
20-09-13, 10:49 AM
I purchased my AEV suspension, front & rear bars, winch, brackets, radio, lights and other bits and peices from them earlier this year and fitted them all myself. They seemed good to deal with and I had no problems. When the Bluetooth remote for the winch failed to work they removed the winch and refitted it all with a new remote and charged me nothing. I would recommend them based on my experience.

DLE068
25-09-13, 12:45 PM
Your right Shefy. All work do by Mitchell Bros make sure u check it thoroughly or get someone who knows a little to have a good look.
There certainly not into ready instructions of any sort.
Not happy.

Wooders
26-09-13, 01:15 PM
They are family related to ARB Penrith shop.................
Err nope that would be Mannel Motors you are think of - Nick Mannell owns ARB Penrith. ;)

stevet
26-09-13, 11:45 PM
Err nope that would be Mannel Motors you are think of - Nick Mannell owns ARB Penrith. ;)
Corrected.............

AV8
27-09-13, 08:51 PM
Went to Mannel Mtrs to purchase a foldable roof ladder but was told I have to order and pay for it even if it didn't fit the Jeep. Customers last.. The service was below average (typical) and needless to say I'm not spending my money there or anywhere where they're too busy and too lethargic push that extra bit for customer loyalty and income obviously.

Will be fabbing my own eventually..or my good friend the web :)

richhenning
27-09-13, 09:16 PM
It's open day at Mannell motors tomorrow.
http://mailer.volume.net.au/display.php?M=807479&C=410a99c66dd2fd806b675c34fa0a25e6&S=2168&L=2&N=967