PDA

View Full Version : Engine bay cleaning

richhenning
30-09-13, 10:44 PM
Hi all
Anyone have suggestions for cleaning a dust covered engine bay? After the watagans trips and Baal bone, it looks like a dust bomb or seven exploded in there!
Can I use a pressure washer in there (with care)?
rich

DanD
30-09-13, 11:01 PM
Was wondering the same myself haha

dobbo56
30-09-13, 11:13 PM
just cover the air intake with a plastic bag and spray the whole engine bay with truck wash, go and have a beer then hit it with the high pressure washer, don't worry about the electrics they are all quiet well protected, after washing start the motor to dry it out. All Clean. and have another beer. You can take the air box out easily and give it a good clean too. now go to it boys, Doggy Dave..

redrubi
30-09-13, 11:25 PM
I'd suggest LOW pressure Rich, sorry Doggy Dave but the slightest water can cause nightmares in electrical connections. My 2c worth.:encouragement:

DanD
30-09-13, 11:40 PM
Yes boss! Can you please call in sick for me tomorrow though? :P

just cover the air intake with a plastic bag and spray the whole engine bay with truck wash, go and have a beer then hit it with the high pressure washer, don't worry about the electrics they are all quiet well protected, after washing start the motor to dry it out. All Clean. and have another beer. You can take the air box out easily and give it a good clean too. now go to it boys, Doggy Dave..

shefy
01-10-13, 04:24 AM
I'd suggest LOW pressure Rich, sorry Doggy Dave but the slightest water can cause nightmares in electrical connections. My 2c worth.:encouragement:

Im with you on this one Andy.
Had the engine degreaser and washed on three occasions where the engine light came on and keep coming back after clearing, the error being always injector no 6.
The problem was water in the common rail and after dispersing it and drying the error clears.

Paul-JK
01-10-13, 07:39 AM
Been meaning to do this for ages.......something else that never quite gets to the top of the list!

Is this better done with engine hot or cold? If hot, would it be better with the engine running or off? Mine's a CRD of that makes any difference.

Wallyd
01-10-13, 08:02 AM
Been meaning to do this for ages.......something else that never quite gets to the top of the list!

Is this better done with engine hot or cold? If hot, would it be better with the engine running or off? Mine's a CRD of that makes any difference.

Cold, but not 'I've turned the motor off 2 hrs ago cold, but, get up at 6 am and don't turn over the engine cold'. This way, the truck wash won't dry quick and be more effective.

dobbo56
01-10-13, 09:31 AM
Then I must be lucky because in the two years ive owned my Jk I wash the engine after each trip and have had no problems, I don't stick the hi pressure nozzle right in the electrics but I do give all the hoses a good blast, then when dry I wipe them over with tire treatment, stops them drying out. And I wash it cold. Doggy Dave.

Bear
01-10-13, 09:41 AM
Be careful with high pressure cleaners around the radiator, it is aluminium and the fins bend very easily, this could result in loss of cooling ability.

redrubi
01-10-13, 02:40 PM
Paul Mate & anyone else interested,

Always "COLD" as most truck washes contain some caustic properties, usually Alkaline salts. If applied to a hot alloy surface will cause pitting, recommend only leaving 10 -15 min, and be sure you wash it off completely.

Also use truck wash in an adjustable jet spray bottle (at low pressure) directly into radiator fins, leave 10 min and wash out with garden hose (no nozzle). Then finish with LIGHT jet of WD40 or baby oil to stop crap (dust & mud) sticking to fins, makes cleaning easier next time!!!

Cheers

Andy:pirate:

Paul-JK
01-10-13, 02:54 PM
Thanks for the advice.

Just had a look at my engine bay this morning. Now I'm not going to pretend that it was in any way clean before the weekend (nearly 4 years old and never been cleaned) but it certainly needs a wash now. I think I've got half the Watagans in my engine bay. And as for the air filter, that just went in the bin. Didn't even bother trying to clean it.

The WD40 is a sound piece of advice. Always used in on my motor bikes in the UK to keep the winter road salt off the bike. The bike always looked filthy as everything stuck to it but it washed off easily and the salt didn't rot the bike.

shefy
01-10-13, 08:23 PM
WD40 is also widely used on electrical components as it's a great water repellent and prevents corrosion.

richhenning
01-10-13, 08:33 PM
Thanks very much for the advice everyone, I will be tackling the engine bay clean up on the weekend.
Rich

Wooders
02-10-13, 11:21 PM
I've killed 2 TPS on my Jeeps from post mud cleans.
So I'd advise steer clear of ANYTHING electronic.
BTW once you get it clean coat EVERYTHING with wd40, and do it on a regular basis.
Not only will the engine bay look heap better, the next mud puddle will be far less likely to stick.
Also if sprayed through the radiatior it means it's less likely to be gummed up with mud and easier to clean.

Oh yeah you know you've been having too much fun in the mud when you need to use the high pressure INSIDE the cabin (worked really well on my TJ).

DanD
02-10-13, 11:50 PM
Been wondering about where to spray the WD40 (love this stuff - just wish that there was the WD40 aftershave!!!) is it ok just to spray around the engine bay like Syria drops chemicals on it citizens?

I've killed 2 TPS on my Jeeps from post mud cleans.
So I'd advise steer clear of ANYTHING electronic.
BTW once you get it clean coat EVERYTHING with wd40, and do it on a regular basis.
Not only will the engine bay look heap better, the next mud puddle will be far less likely to stick.
Also if sprayed through the radiatior it means it's less likely to be gummed up with mud and easier to clean.

Oh yeah you know you've been having too much fun in the mud when you need to use the high pressure INSIDE the cabin (worked really well on my TJ).

Wooders
03-10-13, 12:32 AM
High level carpet bombing is my approach with wd40.
If in doubt I use more.
For rust prone areas though I prefer innox or Por15 sw2.

Sent from my GT-N7105T using Tapatalk 2

Paul-JK
03-10-13, 07:43 AM
Used to spray it literally everywhere on my bike, other than the brakes. Always used to get some funny looks the first time I rode it after a clean as I'd sit there at the traffic lights with smoke coming off the bike as the WD40 burnt off the parts that were getting hot.

Wolfe
04-10-13, 08:03 AM
Been wondering about where to spray the WD40 (love this stuff - just wish that there was the WD40 aftershave!!!) is it ok just to spray around the engine bay like Syria drops chemicals on it citizens?

Ooooooh too soon ;)

DanD
04-10-13, 08:11 AM
Ooooooh too soon ;)

Noted - please let me know if I'm to edit my post :)

Been hearing odd things on the old wireless re Syria and the weapons inspectors... Strange things are brewing over there :(