PDA

View Full Version : Springwood Cleanup Volunteers

TRBN8R
02-11-13, 07:39 PM
tHIS EVENT IS CANCELLED DUE TO COUNCIL SAYING THEY CANT TRUST US....... PLS READ THE POST ON THE NEXT PAGE........

Hi Guys,

I came upon this page on facebook going to help with the cleanup after the bushfires at Springwood

https://www.facebook.com/events/165677673639290/?ref_dashboard_filter=upcoming&source=1
There are a few members from the club going in that group. So upon consultation in another thread I am posting this thread so we can go as a club and help as much as we can. I am taking a couple of shovels, a rake and gloves and food for the day. If someone got some suggestions pls post up. This trip is not a 4wd trip. I plan to return home at the end of the day on Saturday and head up again on Sunday. I got a birthday party to attend on Sunday evening so will leave around mid day Sunday. If some one wants to camp there for the night they can. If someone wants to crash at my place near Blacktown on Friday, Saturday they are welcome to do so...

When: 16/11/2013
Destination: Springwood to help with cleanup after the bushfires
Meeting Point for SJC: Twin Servos on the M4 0615Hrs for brekky. Departing for meet up with the larger group at Penrith Panthers, Mulgoa Road, Penrith by 0630Hrs.
Requirements: Nothing just bring some tools and food.
Number: No restrictions As many as we get

Hope we can make some contribution

1. Mani @ Trbn8r
2. Steve & Hayley @ Jeep11
3. Nekked
4. Andy & Charl @ RedRuby
5. Dan @DanD

Cheers
Mani

Jeep11
02-11-13, 08:12 PM
Hey Mani, We will gladly help out , I think it's a great way to give back
Steve and Hayley

Nekked
02-11-13, 10:28 PM
I'm in... Love to help...

jetkev
02-11-13, 11:08 PM
Would love to help, unfortunately I will be in New Zealand on that day.

richhenning
03-11-13, 01:35 AM
Would love to help however I am scheduled to work that weekend.
rich

AV8
03-11-13, 07:58 AM
Can't make it, again. Away that weekend. Our apologies

redrubi
03-11-13, 07:26 PM
As I said before Charl & I are in!!:eagerness:

DanD
03-11-13, 10:16 PM
I'm in for this! My uncle is at Mt Riverview and was in a touchy situation for a while there... Plus I'm only 15 mins fro Spingwood :/ What sort of implements are people thinking of taking for this?

TRBN8R
03-11-13, 11:30 PM
My communication with the organiser Steve Etcell of SESP Lighting (One of our Jambo sponsors) regarding the nature of Jobs to be done is as under

Hi Steve,

My name is Mani from Sydney Jeep Club. I have managed to swap onto days off for 16-17 November. I am very interested to lend a hand. Also I am trying to get more guys from my club to join us. I just want to know what kind of tools and skills you require up there so we can arrange accordingly. I am not a skilled person in any way but can always work as someone's laborer.
Hope to work with you guys for the good cause.
Cheers
Mani

Hi, I recently sponsored jambo with SeSp LED Lighting so have probably met you before. We dont really need skills as such, just people willing to work. Most of the jobs will be a general clean up, washing down of houses, gutters etc etc. Sorry it took so long to reply, I was away for the weekend! Steve

So I am taking a shovel, a broom, a rake and a pitchfork. Also my gloves......

Any suggestions on equipment are welcome........

DanD
03-11-13, 11:46 PM
Maybe a dustmask or three - houses up there have been found to contain aesbestos - if you want I'll grab some from Bunnings next week before the cleanup? I'll be grabbing some for myself and my mate so it wont be a problem to get more

TRBN8R
04-11-13, 06:22 AM
Maybe a dustmask or three - houses up there have been found to contain aesbestos - if you want I'll grab some from Bunnings next week before the cleanup? I'll be grabbing some for myself and my mate so it wont be a problem to get more

Yup will get some... Also the houses with total loss and damaged ones with Asbestos have been marked by authorities. We will not be doing anything that jeopardizes our safety. We r only gonna help cleanup liveable houses where the owners need a hand....

Sent from my ME371MG using Tapatalk

uncaged123
04-11-13, 09:17 AM
Unfortunately committed to a previously arranged matter with my partner. Would love to be able to help , let me know if and when another date is arranged, I am a carpenter and was a Building Inspector.

TRBN8R
12-11-13, 08:13 AM
SORRY GUYS THIS EVENT HAS BEEN CANCELLED DUE TO THE COUNCIL SAYING THEY CANT TRUST US..... PLS READ THE LINK BELOW OR THE MESSAGE FROM STEVE ETCELL THE ORGANIZER OF THE EVENT AND OWNER OF SESP LIGHTING (OUR JAMBO SPONSOR)......

https://www.facebook.com/events/165677673639290/permalink/171490773057980/

Well guys, the event is canceled. It turns out our help isnt at all wanted, although very needed.

There will be a charity day at zigzag railway for the 16th if you are now left with nothing to do.

This event could have very well be something very good for the residents and ourselves.

Here is the final correspondence with us from the council and phil koberberg

Phil Koberberg's office rang today!
Finally, amazing what that email did..anyway, They dont want to give us the list of minor damaged or even completely destroyed homes... Their reason is that they dont know and we dont know who is coming, some of them could be theives... I said that all who are attending will be registered and have a sticker once registered and that those coming are 4wdrivers... Not theives!

Then I suggested that if we could have the oval we could all congregate there for a while, Pass the bucket around and head up to Mt Victoria... They will NOT give us the oval or the school oval as we may damage it!.. I was starting to get annoyed at this stage and explained to her that we had notified all the respective agencies and ppl involved in the recovery centre a matter of days after the fire, and all we had spoken with and contaceted were all for what we are trying to do, so why now is it not? Told her that we had sent the emails when asked and that it took a threatening email 2weeks later to get a response! She could not answer this but just reinstated that the Govt and Army were doing the asbestos removals etc, I cut her off at that point and again told her we dont want to involve our ppl in that, all we want to do is help the ones that dont seem to be getting any!
Bottom line is folks they dont want our help! Trouble is its the battlers with the minor damage we are trying to target miss out!
She rang back a third time with the option that there is heaps of fundraising going on up at Katoomba and we were more then welcome to use the council carpark along with Edge cinema carpark and go to the different fundraising stuff thats on!

Here is the email she sent me this evening;
Hi Barry,
Great to chat today. As discussed an email will go to you tomorrow re parking, community events , known fundraising buskets, and tourist options when in town. The options for parking are the Council building car park Katoomba and the Edge Cinema.
A tour bus which stops at the Edge Cinema and in Katoomba can then transport people to the event of their choice. Cheers Rachel Now we can either meet up at Panthers as organised, do a run up the Mtn, throw some coin in a bucket, go out to ZigZag and see how much damage is there...

I have given up with the bullshit politics that are goin on up here, all I can think of someone is makin plenty of coin out the fires hence they dont want free help!

jetkev
12-11-13, 10:33 AM
Unfortunately those that lose out is not the council, but those in need of help. SAD...

Sent from my GT-I9100T using Tapatalk

Wooders
12-11-13, 10:59 AM
That bullshyt should be forwarded onto the local press.
I'd be happy to help donate my time and lack of skill to help.
But I don't really care to be ferried about in a bus just to some 2but fund raiser.

Nixolus
12-11-13, 11:07 AM
I'm a bit confused, probably my ignorance, but why do you need council authority? is Springwood a restricted zone? Can you not just drive up and find someone standing in the ashes of their half burned house and offer some help?

Or what about a different area?

Also i'm not sure there was malice of forethought in the delay in them answering your queries, probably the person who replied to you needed a decision from someone higher up, who couldn't be pushed and did not see it as a priority. this happens in project management all the time. Drives me bonkers.

Wooders
12-11-13, 11:11 AM
Just messaged the Blue Mountains Gazette on Facebook ;)

Wooders
12-11-13, 11:17 AM
I'm a bit confused, probably my ignorance, but why do you need council authority? is Springwood a restricted zone? Can you not just drive up and find someone standing in the ashes of their half burned house and offer some help?

You know how about:
Different groups of volunteers go to a few different park/locations in different zones, then have signs/adds in the local press telling people if they need a hand to come and GET a volenteer or 3 from said locations to then travel back to their property to help.
No addresses are given out and the person in need gets to see/meet the volenteer somewhere away for their home before taking them there.

TRBN8R
12-11-13, 03:03 PM
http://mobile.news.com.au/opinion/victims-of-the-nsw-bushfires-burned-by-new-pennypinching-over-cleanup-costs/story-fnh4jt54-1226757926214

Sent from Asus Fonepad using Tapatalk