PDA

View Full Version : A Couple of XJ Questions

Keef_7
16-11-13, 03:45 PM
My son has had my XJ for the last 7 months in Canberra, he has driven here and it was running rough. Can anyone tell me what is meant to be connecting the tube in this photo?

While looking for that I noticed this. Can someone tell me what is broken here?

Keef_7
16-11-13, 03:47 PM
For some reason I couldn't type anymore in that post.
I know its the shock but what exactly is broken?

Thanks

Elio S
16-11-13, 04:42 PM
In the first photo, it looks like there is a rubber 90 degree elbow missing, similar to the one in front of it. In the photos of the shocks I believe there is a lip on the rod that prevents the bottom washer and rubber grommet from travelling down the rod. Possibly the hole in the washer has elongated causing it to slide down the rod, or the lip on he rod is worn. You may need to replace the shock

Hunno
16-11-13, 05:42 PM
Yes it's running rough because of the leak in the vacuum system, - as stated missing rubber boot.
as for the shock, it should have a washer type flange on the underside of the body to stop it pushing through like that. Give Dave a call at Wooders he may have some second hand parts cheap.

fraz
17-11-13, 01:27 AM
What size lift have you got in it? The piston-rod would have been damaged running up and down against the body like that. :( I've got access to standard sport front shocks (off my vehicle) and 2" Lovells front shocks if you need them in a hurry. PM me if you want more info :)

Keef_7
17-11-13, 12:43 PM
Thanks guys, I thought it was just a right angle rubber connector but wanted to make sure.

For the shock - The car is stock but I have a RE3.5" lift to fit when I actually get the car back from my son in the new year, would I be able to buy shocks to go with that and fit them now without the lift or will they be too big?

Steve F
17-11-13, 02:52 PM
If you setup the bump stops to make sure the shocks don't over compress you'll be fine. You'll need to do this with the lift anyway.

Cheers
Steve

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk