PDA

View Full Version : Bowtel's Swing Bridge Saturday 07th Dec 2013

TRBN8R
22-11-13, 01:23 PM
Hi Guys,

Bear, Cobus and I conducted a recce of this area this week. The track is primarily D with some C grade climbs. Use of Low Range is required due to some steep climbs and descents. It is a dry weather track only. The climbs and descents are steep but not difficult or dangerous. This trip is suitable for Newbies and stock cars and people who want to see beautiful scenery. Track is about 20Km long. ending in a nice picnic area with a composting toilet and undercover picnic table and plenty of shade trees. There is a nice stream flowing nearby so if you are interested please bring a towel and bathers. Also there is an easy 1.5km walking track leading to the swing bridge presenting beautiful scenery and interesting bridge walk. The walking track is easy grade.

The beginning of the track is 110Km and 1 Hr 40 Minutes from our RV point (Richmond mCDonalds). See the map link attached. http://www.whereis.com/?id=49A7AFBA50F910 . The Green Start point is our meeting point. The red End point is the end of our road travel and start of our track.

Meeting Point: Richmond McDonalds

Meeting Time: 0730Hrs for brekky. Depart McDonalds by 0800Hrs sharp.

Trip Grading: Primarily D with some C

Trip Numbers: 15

Expected Time of Return to Richmond: 1700Hrs

Requirements: Recovery Gear, Radio, Recovery points o front and rear of vehicle, Food/Drinks of choice, Insect repellant spray etc. etc.....

Further Info: Ring me 0405801230 If phone not answered pls leave a message as I cant take the phone in to work. I will get back to you ASAP.

1. Mani @ TRBN8R
2. Rich @ Richhenning
3. Andy & Charl @ RedRubi
4. Richard @ Fussy
5. StickierDuck
6. Richard @ Smokeythebandit
7. Rahul @ Agarwal_Rahul
8. Rhys @ DozerRubi
9. Rob @ Rob.79
10. Moon

Cheers and Happy Jeeping

Mani 8)

richhenning
22-11-13, 03:29 PM
Please put me down on the list Mani, thanks
rich

TRBN8R
22-11-13, 06:04 PM
Experimenting to embed the map in the link above... Failed .... Can someone guide me.

Steve F
22-11-13, 09:39 PM
Use the map tag around the Google map link same format as the IMG and URL tags.

It'll only work with a Google maps link though not where is

Cheers
Steve

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

TRBN8R
22-11-13, 09:42 PM
Use the map tag around the Google map link same format as the IMG and URL tags.

Cheers
Steve

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Thanks Steve.... :)

Sent from Asus Fonepad using Tapatalk

uncaged123
24-11-13, 12:06 AM
Hi Mani, please include me as I was not able to join you on the recce trip during the week. I'll bring my nephew so that he can do some catch up 4wding now that he is on a break from uni.

Cheers Rob

redrubi
24-11-13, 01:28 AM
If Doctor gives me the thumbs-up on Monday, We're in!!!!!!!:eagerness:

Cheers

Andy&Charl:pirate::angel:

Fussy
24-11-13, 09:42 PM
Hi Mani, please count me in

StickierDuck
25-11-13, 10:17 PM
Hi, count me in

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Smokeythebandit
28-11-13, 12:46 AM
Hi guys, I've just joined the forum. I like to reserve a spot on the trip, if possible.
Thinking about coming along to the club night on the 4th also.

I have recovery gear, uneek bar and hitch. Trying to get cb sorted also. Other than that she's a stock 2013 JKU auto sport. Wheeled years ago in a Suzuki, so looking forward to it!:smile-new:
Regards,
Richard

Wolfe
28-11-13, 03:44 PM
Hi guys, I've just joined the forum. I like to reserve a spot on the trip, if possible.

I have recovery gear, uneek bar and hitch. Trying to get cb sorted also. Other than that she's a stock 2013 JKU auto sport. Wheeled years ago in a Suzuki, so looking forward to it!:smile-new:
Regards,
Richard

Welcome hope to see you at meeting

TRBN8R
28-11-13, 06:32 PM

Regards,
Richard

Hi Richard

Welcome to the club mate.... Hope u will enjoy this trip.... See you at the Meccas next Saturday.....

Mani

Agarwal_rahul
29-11-13, 11:04 AM
Hi Mani

Can you please also add me for the trip? I will organise the recovery gear but may not have the CB radio in time.

Thanks
Rahul

TRBN8R
29-11-13, 04:30 PM
Hi Mani

Can you please also add me for the trip? I will organise the recovery gear but may not have the CB radio in time.

Thanks
Rahul

Hi Rahul,

I always have spare straps and shackles and recovery equipment etc... and this track will not warrant any recoveries as far as I can see.... Radio is a indispensable piece of kit for communications on any 4wd trip. Hopefully someone will have a spare radio on the trip....

See you next saturday.....

DozerRubi13
29-11-13, 08:12 PM
Hey Mani,

please add me to the list.
cheers, Rhys

Agarwal_rahul
02-12-13, 10:29 AM
Hi Mani/All

I am thinking of this unit for radio - is that good or any other suggestions?

GME TX3100 with bonus handset - do I need anything else?
http://www.bcf.com.au/online-store/products/GME-TX3100-with-bonus-TX670-UHF-Radio.aspx?pid=347857&menuFrom=571660#Cross

Thanks!

Cheers,
Rahul

DanD
02-12-13, 10:50 AM
I have that radio mounted in mine - works well - you may need to get an aerial for it though (I got the 'starter' pack that included an aerial)

Hi Mani/All

http://www.bcf.com.au/online-store/products/GME-TX3100-with-bonus-TX670-UHF-Radio.aspx?pid=347857&menuFrom=571660#Cross

Thanks!

Cheers,
Rahul

shefy
02-12-13, 12:53 PM
Always a good idea to have a basic hand held basic unit not just as a backup but works well for spotting and recovery situations and works ok in a convoy that isn't stretched for miles. cheap, quick and no install if you need somethind right now without being rushed into making a choice. Works good for camping situations as well.

Rob.79
02-12-13, 01:11 PM
Hi Mani, could you please add me to the trip list...

Thanks, Rob

TRBN8R
03-12-13, 01:17 AM
Hi Mani/All

Thanks!

Cheers,
Rahul

Hi Rahul,

Nice set there mate. TX3100 is a very robust set. can be mounted anywhere and doesnt take much space..... Comes with a handheld as well so u r practically set for a long time.... U need to buy an antenna to go with the TX3100.... Antennas are either ground dependent or ground independent.... Ground dependent antennas need a flat metallic surface under them to bounce the signal..... Whereas ground independent antennas can be mounted wherever u want without the need of a flat metallic surface..... Then comes the db gain.... High db gain means longer range over flat ground but suffer in hilly terrain with a lot of obstructions, where as lower gain are terrific over hilly terrain but cant give a very long range.... Then comes your budget..... Ideally u will have a base and 2 interchangeable masts of different gain.... but see how much you want to spend and weather you will utilize the investment to its full potential....

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/GME-80CH-TX3100-UHF-CB-RADIO-TX670-H-HELD-UNIDEN-AT870-BLACK-HI-GAIN-ANTENNA-/300986290511?pt=AU_Electronics_Radio_Equipment&hash=item46142e514f

Same set with antenna as well.....

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/FLEXI-UHF-CB-FLEXIBLE-DIPOLE-ANTENNA-3dB-GAIN-suits-GME-UNIDEN-ORICOM-ICOM-/281212251034?pt=AU_Electronics_Radio_Equipment&hash=item41798e6b9a

I have one of these mounted on the middle breaklight coupled with a TX6100 5 watt hand held..... Serves me well with the weekend trips but It will not be the most effective solution for long distance touring..... See what suits your needs and then buy.....

Cheers

Mani

TRBN8R
03-12-13, 08:54 AM
Always a good idea to have a basic hand held basic unit not just as a backup but works well for spotting and recovery situations and works ok in a convoy that isn't stretched for miles. cheap, quick and no install if you need somethind right now without being rushed into making a choice. Works good for camping situations as well.

Agree with Shefy, u can get a 1 watt hand held for around $50 mark if u dont want to rush into buying a hard mounted set immediately.... Go 4wding enjoy, get experience, setup your car.... A hard mounted set can be installed in about an hour at any stage of the build.... So can come at a stage when u r about to set off on a big trip..... For our weekend trips a 1 watter will be more than enough.....

Hunno
03-12-13, 05:56 PM
$29 supercheap auto one was my first radio

Agarwal_rahul
03-12-13, 06:59 PM
Thanks all for your inputs, I will have a look into the various options.

In the meanwhile Mani was very resourceful in organising a temporary radio for me to cover the trip, so I will go with that for now and after the trip I will weigh in other options.

Cheers,
Rahul

TRBN8R
03-12-13, 07:28 PM
Thanks all for your inputs, I will have a look into the various options.

In the meanwhile Mani was very resourceful in organising a temporary radio for me to cover the trip, so I will go with that for now and after the trip I will weigh in other options.

Cheers,
Rahul

My old $150 Oricom died 6 months out of a 3 year warranty... So I coupled my 5w handheld GME TX 6100 to my external antenna which was doing a fine job but it was a hassle taking it off the cable and screwing on a normal antella everytime I got out of the car..... Today at Aldi I saw their 2 way hard mounted radio reduced to $69 from $99 on a last piece discount and I got it...... Thus freeing my handheld for your use......

In hindsight if I had invested in a decent GME or similar radio it would have lasted me much longer..... I was not so sure about the Aldi one but can take a gamble for $69.....

DanD
03-12-13, 08:28 PM
Great thing about Aldi - if it doesn't work in the warranty period - replace or refund

My old $150 Oricom died 6 months out of a 3 year warranty... So I coupled my 5w handheld GME TX 6100 to my external antenna which was doing a fine job but it was a hassle taking it off the cable and screwing on a normal antella everytime I got out of the car..... Today at Aldi I saw their 2 way hard mounted radio reduced to $69 from $99 on a last piece discount and I got it...... Thus freeing my handheld for your use......

In hindsight if I had invested in a decent GME or similar radio it would have lasted me much longer..... I was not so sure about the Aldi one but can take a gamble for $69.....

AV8
04-12-13, 01:39 AM
I've a brand new one from Aldi, bought about a year ago but not touched, if anyone is interested. Purchased for $99, make an offer. Still using my handheld. 5W is plenty strong.

uncaged123
04-12-13, 09:51 AM
Mani, as with Steve Boyd trip the next day, I unfortunately have to pull out. My other half has committed me to showing relos from OS around. I'll catch you up on another trip.

Cheers Rob

Bear
04-12-13, 11:25 AM
Mani, I am going to pull out of this trip, as Maggie still has not fully recovered from her recent stay in hospital.

Agarwal_rahul
05-12-13, 10:09 AM
Hi Mani

Can you please give the address for the meeting point - "Richmond Mcdonalds"?

thanks
Rahul

Rob.79
05-12-13, 10:58 AM
Hi Rahul,

Mc Donalds, March Street,
Richmond NSW 2753

TRBN8R
05-12-13, 01:13 PM
Hi Mani

Can you please give the address for the meeting point - "Richmond Mcdonalds"?

thanks
Rahul

65 March Street, Richmond

If u click the map link in the first post you will see it marked as start point. Also mark it in your GPS as a permanent meeting point for any club trip going to Lithgow area, Janolen (spellings), Capertee, or anything west of Blacktown.......

Agarwal_rahul
05-12-13, 05:58 PM
Hi Rob/Mani

Thanks for the details, we will skip the breakfast but will be there by 8.

Cheers,
Rahul

Hunno
05-12-13, 07:22 PM
A new member wants join the trip.

Name Moon? Drives a KK.

redrubi
05-12-13, 07:39 PM

Name Moon? Drives a KK.

Good on ya Hunno, you beat me!!

TRBN8R
05-12-13, 09:22 PM

Name Moon? Drives a KK.

Most welcome on the trip..... Please let him known of the meeting point..... This trip is suitable for anything with a low range box.......

Smokeythebandit
06-12-13, 01:53 AM
Thanks Mani,
Looking forward to it.
Reading the posts made me laugh - I got the cb working, it is an Aldi special that was sitting in my garage for months!
Regards,
Richard

Hi Richard

Welcome to the club mate.... Hope u will enjoy this trip.... See you at the Meccas next Saturday.....

Mani

TRBN8R
07-12-13, 08:17 PM
Attendees for the trip:

1. Mani @ TRBN8R
2. Rich @ Richhenning
3. Andy & Charl @ RedRubi
4. Richard @ Fussy
5. StickierDuck
6.Dr. Richard @ Smokeythebandit (Our Good Samaritan of the Day)
7. Rahul @ Agarwal_Rahul
8. Rhys @ DozerRubi
9. Rob @ Rob.79
10. Moon

I tried to be really early today to the meeting point and reached the McDonalds at 0720Hrs. Again I got beaten to it by 3 other Jeeps. Everyone was on time or before and in the first time on my trip everyone on the final list turned up. Our New member Moon was the last one to show up at 0800Hrs. After introductions and a brief info session on convoy procedures we left for our destination at about 0810.

Everything was going fine and we were about 10k from the Minimini Road turnoff when we were passed by a police car at high speed under lights and sirens. As we progressed further we came across a crash site with a head on collision between two cars. We stopped to see if we could help in any way. We discovered that Richard @ SmokeyTheBandit is a Doctor and as a good Samaritan he immediately went to assist the ambulance. A little while later we were informed by the police to move back as they needed the space for the helicopter to land. We saw two helicopters land in the vicinity of the crash, one less than 200 yards from us. Richard's (SmoketTheBandit) better half had a brief conversation with Richard and informed us that the Ambos want him to stay with them for some more time and has asked us to continue on while he gets some more good karma. By that time the authorities had closed off the road. So we decided to turn around to head to Lake Lyle instead. We took the Rydal Hampton road to Rydal and reached there about 1130Hrs.

We aired down, Disconnected headed off to The Quarry. It was a good learning experience for new members and almost every one attempted and conquered every line possible on The Quarry. We left Moon's KK on top of The Quarry and looped the hill on the right to climb it from the rear approach. The rut on the bottom was interesting and had many members expose their underbelly especially StickyDuck going to a very scary level. I believe his better half gave him a good earbashing for it. We climbed the hill without any damage and collected Moon's car at the top. After this we took the track to the river on the left of the quarry. We had varying tracks of low C grading and managed to bend the nudge bar and one side step on Moon's KK. Which provided him encouragement to start modding his car. It was almost 1300Hrs and upon Andy's call we took a break for lunch. Kids played in the mud and bigger kids talked about the springs, shocks and other stuff they could spend money on and the ways to evade detection of the expenditure by the wives and girlfriends. After lunch we headed to another high hill nearby the Blackberry bushes. Every one climbed the hill and some decided to play in the mudpit at the bottom of the hill.

It was almost 1515Hrs and everyone decided to head back home. We drove to the Shell Station at Bowenfels and aired up and headed our own way home.

So what started as a D with some C- ended up being C with some C+ trip.

Also I would once again like commend Dr Richard for sacrificing his fun time and his selfless service in the hour of need. And in hindsight if I come across another accident site I will stop for assistance after crossing the site if possible so if they close the road off we still can continue on to our destination.

No injuries or any untoward incidents to report. One slightly bent sidestep and nudge bar on Moon's KK was the only damage to report.

Cheers

Mani :sleeping::sleeping::sleeping:

DozerRubi13
07-12-13, 09:03 PM
Thanks once again Mani, always have an awesome time on your trips, cant wait for fussy's videos.
Cheers, Rhys

richhenning
07-12-13, 09:52 PM
Thanks very much for the day Mani, and for thinking of an alternative when the original trip couldn't be followed through. Great group of people and a great way to spend a Saturday.

Some pics:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/khz3b2jn0r25h5f/mozvRCIR44

rich

redrubi
07-12-13, 11:16 PM
Thanks Mani,

Another great days JEEPING! ,Good group of peeps in jeeps!!!

Hats off to Dr & Mrs Richard! Giving up your time to help total strangers is a quality we just don't see enough of today! RESPECT:encouragement:

Cheers

Andy&Charl:pirate:

Paul-JK
07-12-13, 11:57 PM
Sounds like another interesting day out with the SJC.

Unfortunate that Dr Richard didn't get quite the day he planned but kudos for jumping in and helping out. Not everyone would, not even all the doctors!

That shot with the helicopter on the road makes it look damn tight in there for getting a helicopter of that size in. Not sure if it's just the angle of the photo but there doesn't look to be a lot of space between the blades and the trees. Kodos the pilot as well.

Smokeythebandit
08-12-13, 08:05 AM
Thanks for all the kind words everyone. I think all the occupants in the accident will pull through, however the little 2 year old we had to sedate had us worried.
As for Mani's comment about finding out I was a Dr, my official results of passing med school were only released that morning - which I missed in the early start and accident. So it makes two of us Mani lol. Thanks for organising the trip Mani!
It was a shame that we couldn't catch up with the convoy, as it sounds like some fun was still salvaged! this trip was the first time Jackie and I had done anything like it - the sight of ten Jeeps rolling through the blue mountains made the school boy in me grin. Mani's running commentary was also a highlight.
It was also great to quickly meet some of you - it was a good group... Next time!
Kind regards,
Rich and Jackie

Agarwal_rahul
08-12-13, 08:49 AM
Thanks Mani for organising the trip, it was great fun, informative and great learning experience for the newbies!!!

redrubi
08-12-13, 12:00 PM
Thanks for all the kind words everyone. I think all the occupants in the accident will pull through, however the little 2 year old we had to sedate had us worried.
As for Mani's comment about finding out I was a Dr, my official results of passing med school were only released that morning - which I missed in the early start and accident. So it makes two of us Mani lol. Thanks for organising the trip Mani!
It was a shame that we couldn't catch up with the convoy, as it sounds like some fun was still salvaged! this trip was the first time Jackie and I had done anything like it - the sight of ten Jeeps rolling through the blue mountains made the school boy in me grin. Mani's running commentary was also a highlight.
It was also great to quickly meet some of you - it was a good group... Next time!
Kind regards,
Rich and Jackie
Mani!! Me thinks, next time should be SOON!!!

TRBN8R
08-12-13, 12:22 PM
Mani!! Me thinks, next time should be SOON!!!

Sorry Andy but I am going overseas in 3 weeks time for about a month...... So gotta get busy shopping for gifts etc..... My next trip now would be Feb 2014...... Probably planning to do a 3 day camping trip to Lake Lyle..... Reach Friday afternoon about 1400Hrs..... Camp overnight, Hit Capertee Saturday..... Hit Lake Lyle or Zig Zag Sunday for a quick short trip packup and head back home.....

It will give a nice start and experience to camping newbies like me.....

Fussy
08-12-13, 05:52 PM
Thanks to Mani for organising the trip and all the Jeepers and their partners/co-pilots. i really enjoyed the day.
i am already looking forward to seeing everyone of you on the trails again.

after 8 long hours of uploading, i am able to share the photos and videos i took.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/nd1d15n294t13rl/_0BytE9Nt8

hope you guys enjoy them.

Richard

DanD
08-12-13, 06:27 PM
Richard - those videos were great! Much better than studying haha

(After a couple of beverages) I was cheering out loud when Moon, Rahul and Richard H cleared their obstacles hehe - great work guys :D ! Great to see the vid of Rahul go the easy track and then go the more challenging one! Moon (if youre reading this) great work getting that Cherokee around! Looks great :D

Rhys - you drive a Rubi and have lockers and swaybar disconnects... You don't get a mention except for that i'm disappointed that you got hooked up where you did... :P !! Good driving mate! (*maybe* the next time I'm out that way I'll try out the line you took if I dont have too much caffeine that morning ;) )

DozerRubi13
08-12-13, 09:51 PM
Hey Dan, yeah it was a shocker, didnt line it up right, rookie mistake. Tackled some other hectic climbs, good to have Mani and Andy there to walk me thru it, had a play in a couple of mud puddles. Gotta remember to take some sunscreen next time, i got terrible tan lines right now and its burning like hell from having the roof off.

DanD
08-12-13, 09:57 PM
Hey Dan, yeah it was a shocker, didnt line it up right, rookie mistake. Tackled some other hectic climbs, good to have Mani and Andy there to walk me thru it, had a play in a couple of mud puddles. Gotta remember to take some sunscreen next time, i got terrible tan lines right now and its burning like hell from having the roof off.

The vids looked great from my side boss! As said, I havent taken that line yet so I tip my hat to you for beating me to it! (btw - why weren't you wearing a hat?! Can only imagine the annoyance you're in right now and yes, I'm glad that I didn't get burnt by the sun for once hehe) Coming down for Grease Monkey?

richhenning
09-12-13, 08:52 AM
Hey Fussy, thanks very much for the effort and patience in putting the videos and pics together. Much appreciated.
rich

Rob.79
09-12-13, 01:27 PM
Thanks again Mani and everyone else for a great day out...

And a BIG, thankyou to Rich & Jackie, :applause::applause: hope to see you both next time..

Thanks, Rob & Harriet

StickierDuck
09-12-13, 01:44 PM
Thanks Mani and I'll add my respect to Richard for helping with the crash scene.

Lesson learned from the hill climb, keep the windows open and give the guy helping a radio!!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Agarwal_rahul
09-12-13, 10:07 PM
Hi Richard

Thanks for sharing the awesome photos and videos of the day.

Cheers
Rahul

Fussy
09-12-13, 11:46 PM
You are welcome guys.
Looking forward to the next trip

moon_cherokee
22-12-13, 07:16 PM
At last I was able to register to the forum !!! Wooohooo !!!! I was able to read everything but couldn't reply anything !

Again a big THANK YOU Mani for organizing this trip and Richard for sharing the amazing photos and videos.

It was such an enjoyable day out with a nice bunch of people ( and a particular one who was the good Samaritan ;) who gave up on his day off, see you in the next trip ! )

redrubi
22-12-13, 07:24 PM
G-Day Moon mate,

I thought we might have scared the "BLANK"out of you!:eek-new: LOL

Look forward to catching up!

Cheers

Andy&Charl:pirate::angel: