PDA

View Full Version : Central Australia Tour - June / July 2014

Dave
05-12-13, 04:29 PM
Central Australia (The Red Centre) Tour June / July 2014

At the December Club Meeting I proposed a trip to the Red Centre � Uluru, Kings Canyon, Alice Springs and lots more amazing places from 23 June (last week of Term 2) to 18 July (end of first week of Term 3) 2014.

In brief, the plan is;

Day 1 - Monday 23 June - Sydney to Nyngan
Day 2 - Tuesday 24 June - Nyngan to Tibooburra
Day 3 - Wednesday 25 June - Tibooburra to Lyndhurst via Cameron Corner on the Strzelecki Track
Day 4 - Thursday 26 June - Lyndhurst to William Creek on the Oodnadatta Track
Day 5 - Friday 27 June - William Creek to Mt Sarah (bush camp) via Oodnadatta
Day 6 - Saturday 28 June - Mt Sarah to Dalhousie Springs (to swim in the hot artesian lakes)
Day 7 - Sunday 29 June - Dalhousie Springs to Mt Dare
Day 8 - Monday 30 June - Mt Dare to Chambers Pillar via Finke up the Old Ghan Track
Day 9 - Tuesday 1 July - Chambers Pillar to Erldunda on the Stuart Hwy
Day 10 - Wednesday 2 July - Erldunda to Yulara and Uluru (Ayers Rock sunset sightseeing)
If you have family that could fly in, they could join you at Yulara.
Day 11 - Thursday 3 July - Sightseeing around Uluru and Kata Tjuta (Ayers Rock & The Olgas)
Day 12 - Friday 4 July - Yulara to Watarrka (Kings Canyon)
Day 13 - Saturday 5 July - Sightseeing at Watarrka then drive to Glen Helen Gorge - McDonnell Ranges via the Red Centre Way
Day 14 - Sunday 6 July - Glen Helen Gorge to Alice Springs via Ormiston Gorge, Serpentine Gorge, Standley Chasm, Simpsons Gap
Day 15 - Monday 7 July - Lay Day / Sightseeing around Alice Springs
If you had family that flew in to Yulara, they could fly home from Alice Springs.

Return to Sydney the SHORT Way
Day 15 - Monday 7 July Some may choose to return direct to Sydney on the bitumen;
Coober Pedy, Port Augusta, Mildura, Wagga Wagga 2773km
Coober Pedy, Port Augusta, Broken Hill, Cobar 2784km
Either way 5 days or so depending on driving style. Total = 19 or 20 Days. Home by Friday 11 July.
Total Distance Sydney to Sydney = 6758 km via Mildura, or 6769 km via Broken Hill.

Return to Sydney the LONG (better) Way
Day 16 - Tuesday 8 July - Morning resupply for rest of trip then drive from Alice Springs to The Gemtree on the Plenty Hwy
Day 17 - Wednesday 9 July - The Gemtree to Tobermorey Station on the Qld Border
Day 18 - Thursday 10 July - Tobermorey Station to Boulia
Day 19 - Friday 11 July - Boulia to Bedourie
Day 20 - Saturday 12 July - Lay day in Bedourie for the Camel Races
Day 21 - Sunday 13 July - Bedourie to Birdsville and a trip out to Big Red
Day 22 - Monday 14 July - Birdsville to Innaminka via the Birdsville Track and Walkers Crossing Track
Day 23 - Tuesday 15 July - Innaminka to Tibooburra via Nappa Merrie and Burke & Wills Dig Tree
Day 24 - Wednesday 16 July - Tibooburra to Silverton via Milparinka and Broken Hill
Day 25 - Thursday 17 July - Sightseeing at Silverton then drive to Cobar via Wilcannia
Day 26 - Friday 18 July - Cobar to Sydney

Total Distance Sydney to Sydney = 7552km

Note, if you do not wish to travel back all the way via Silverton, it would be possible to travel home more directly from Birdsville via Windorah & Charleville, or Tibooburra via Bourke. This would see you back in Sydney two or three days earlier.

Please post up below if you would like to come, or if you are thinking about it. I will generate a Definites and a Maybes list. If you would like more information or to discuss the trip, please PM me with your email address.
I can send an Itinerary with all the information, as I handed around at the December meeting.

To run the trip we need at least 3 cars, and I think up to 10 cars would be a great number!

Please consider over Christmas.

Dave

Definites
1 Me! DaveG - Registered
2 Redrubi - Registered
3 EddyG - Registered
4 Danny & Sharon - Registered
5 JohnC - Registered
6 Hunno - Registered
7 RichardH - Registered

Maybes
MarcL - who may be meeting us somewhere along the way, possibly Birdsville.

shefy
05-12-13, 05:23 PM
Certainly got my attention Dave, sounds great.
Very interested, can you put me down as a maybe please?
Thanks, Shefy.

Dave
06-12-13, 09:29 AM
Certainly got my attention Dave, sounds great.
Very interested, can you put me down as a maybe please?
Thanks, Shefy.

Done, and sent you Itinerary with my guestimate of costs etc by email too.

Merry Christmas!

Dave

Nekked
06-12-13, 11:13 AM
Awesome trip Dave.

wish we could go, have fun

uncaged123
06-12-13, 12:58 PM
Hi Dave

I'm in for sure, just need to work out where to fly in and out others family members who will do part of the trip with me. Also to consider whether I'll go on to look around the top end while I'm there.

Cheers Rob

Dave
06-12-13, 01:46 PM
Hi Dave

I'm in for sure, just need to work out where to fly in and out others family members who will do part of the trip with me. Also to consider whether I'll go on to look around the top end while I'm there.

Cheers Rob

Excellent Rob, thanks!

The only places I know of with commercial airlines on my itinerary are Yulara (Ayers Rock) and of course Alice Springs. With the resorts at Yulara, Kings Canyon and Glen Helen, it is possible to do Yulara to Alice without having to use a tent! (But I'm camping!)

After Alice, if you head north there is probably a commercial airport at Katherine, although I'm not sure. Definitely Darwin! If you stay on my itinerary the next airport after Alice Springs is Broken Hill.

Happy planning!

Dave

redrubi
06-12-13, 07:33 PM
Looking good for us Dave!!

Dave
06-12-13, 07:59 PM
Looking good for us Dave!!

Awesome!! I'll drop you into the definite list :-)

Dave

AV8
07-12-13, 07:55 AM
Please put us down as a maybe Dave. Thanks. A couple of adjustments with our schedule here at home to sort out.

Dave
07-12-13, 11:55 AM
Please put us down as a maybe Dave. Thanks. A couple of adjustments with our schedule here at home to sort out.

Done, and sent you an email with Itinerary!

Thanks,
Dave

nevscollop
11-12-13, 10:02 PM
Hey Dave trip looks awesome, can I grab a copy of the itinerary?

Cheers,

Nick

Dave
12-12-13, 10:46 AM
Hey Dave trip looks awesome, can I grab a copy of the itinerary?

Cheers,

Nick

Hi Nick,

I've got the "Secretary" list of everyones email, but we have a couple of Nicks, one Neville and no Scollops. I'm really sorry, but which one are you? Please PM me your email address and I'll be happy to send.

Thanks,
Dave

Maggie
12-12-13, 10:57 PM
Hi Nick,

I've got the "Secretary" list of everyones email, but we but we have a couple of Nicks, one Neville and no Scollops. I'm really sorry, but which one are you? Please PM me your email address and I'll be happy to send.

Thanks,
Dave

Hi Dave, nevscollop is his forum name, I think it is Nick Dugan from memory.
Maggie.

Dave
12-12-13, 11:26 PM
Hi Dave, nevscollop is his forum name, I think it is Nick Dugan from memory.
Maggie.

Thanks Maggie, I'll send there and hope!

Dave

redrubi
22-12-13, 04:37 PM
Dave,

Charl says, Look what you made me do!!!2669

YES WE BOUGHT A TENT!

Maggie
22-12-13, 05:11 PM
Hahahaha, I could go on forever

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

redrubi
22-12-13, 06:48 PM
Hahahaha, I could go on forever

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk
Like this!!!2670

Hunno
22-12-13, 09:10 PM
Bahahahahahahahahahahahahaahhahahahahahahahahahaha

*** Takes a breath***

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha ha

Awesome!!!!

Think I better try and get leave for this one just to see it happen

Dave
23-12-13, 12:19 PM
Dave,

Charl says, Look what you made me do!!!2669

YES WE BOUGHT A TENT!

That. Is. AWESOME!

Santa came early haha!

Dave

Ps - yeah Hunno, get your act in gear! Sure Harmony would love the trip - even if only the fly in fly out part...

gp
21-01-14, 09:02 PM
Dave

Please put me down for the trip

Regards John

uncaged123
22-01-14, 05:01 AM
Dave, I'm looking at upgrading my camper to an offroad hardfloor model AND purchasing a new tent similar to your or Ewen.

Cheers RobS

Dave
22-01-14, 10:22 AM
Dave

Please put me down for the trip

Regards John

Done John, and going on dates, we set off in 5 months tomorrow.

Is it sad that I'm counting down already?

Thanks,
Dave

Dave
22-01-14, 10:27 AM
Dave, I'm looking at upgrading my camper to an offroad hardfloor model AND purchasing a new tent similar to your or Ewen.

Cheers RobS

Wow Rob, sounds like you will be ready for anything!

Are you planning on bringing both? If the camper is as fast setup as Wallys (faster than my tent!) then I wouldn't have thought you'd need a tent as well.

If you've missed the January sales then wait for the Rosehill Caravan and Camping Show in April. Can usually get a good deal there - and pick up a load more stuff that you may or may not need like I always do ;-)

Dave

shefy
22-01-14, 08:55 PM
Hi Dave

Can you put me on the trip list please

Thanks,

Shefy.

Dave
23-01-14, 04:25 PM
Hi Dave

Can you put me on the trip list please

Thanks,

Shefy.

Done! Moved you from the Maybes to the Definites.

Hope that means you have the fuel availability concerns sorted.

Wow, we have 7 cars already and we set off in 5 months today!

Dave

AV8
23-01-14, 04:39 PM
Hi Dave,

7 firms and 0 maybe, das ist gut! We're out again with leave starting a month late, July 14th. We'll keep trying though. Cheers mate.

Dave
23-01-14, 05:09 PM
Hi Dave,

7 firms and 0 maybe, das ist gut! We're out again with leave starting a month late, July 14th. We'll keep trying though. Cheers mate.

Darn, that's a shame! Oh well, there will be other trips.

Dave

shefy
23-01-14, 06:55 PM
Hi Dave
Thanks, fuel is ok I'll be carrying enough petrol with extra 50Ltr in Jerrycans so I don't have to rely on LPG.
The only question now is towing or tent.

Cheers,
Shefy.

Dave
23-01-14, 10:07 PM
Hmm, tent is light, quick and less fuel, but not as comfortable, and takes up space in the vehicle. Trailer can carry the extra gear, but...

If it's just you, I'd say tent, but if there are two of you, trailer could be way to go! And Danny will be along too so you can blame him if anything goes pear shaped :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

shefy
24-01-14, 08:01 AM
I'm in the process of upgrading the trailer by beefing up the chasis, adding shock absorbers, electrical and storage etc. but I take the point of performance and I would like to have the opportunity to play in the sand etc. so it looks like a swag or a bubble pop up tent.
That would mean loosing the fridge though which is a problem because I need to carry refrigerated medicine.
Should be easy to sort out as I'll be doing it by my self most likely.

Dave
24-01-14, 09:49 AM
Hi Shefy,

I guess it all does come down to space available, and equipment needed. I don't know where your gas tank is. If it's under the car then I know you can get all your gear, and an esky or fridge and pop up tent in the car - because JohnC can get all that in his TJ - travelling solo. If the tank is in the car, then you are more limited, and if you're planning on a swag, well they take up a lot of room too. Don't want to overload the car as that could make it unstable...

If you need a fridge (nights will be cold so an esky can be kept pretty cool) and the lpg tank is in the car, and given the work you are doing on the trailer, I'd lean towards the trailer! If the suspension, chassis and tyres are up for it, and especially if it helps with carrying fuel and useful fridge, then bring it. Was also thinking that the longest distance drives from Cameron Corner to Lyndhurst and from Alice to Boulia are all soon after you can obtain gas, so with a bit of planning we could work out some efficient use of available fuel - save the gas for the really long hauls.

There will be sand on some of the tracks that we take, but we will also be making "base camps" on several occasions, leaving tents / trailers behind, and then going driving. Having a trailer won't mean missing out on fun!

If you're at meetings from Feb, I'm sure we will catch up and talk through logistics.

Dave

redrubi
24-01-14, 12:46 PM
Dave,

Just something to make you giggle!!!

uncaged123
24-01-14, 04:20 PM
Possibly the best way out of carrying fuel, tent eta is to load it all into an offroad utility trailer.

Cheers Rob

Heidi
28-01-14, 12:12 PM
you can fit a 40lt engel and a bourke and wills double swag in the back of a TJ. We have also carried our double swag or our blackwolf turbo on soft racks on both the soft top and hard top

Dave
06-02-14, 08:14 PM
Welcome aboard Hunno!!

redrubi
20-02-14, 07:19 PM
Hey Dave,

I've got an idea for a pre-trip get together!

A night at Blacktown Drive in!!!

2746 Any takers:highly_amused:

Dave
21-02-14, 11:48 PM
Nah, not scary compared with...

or

Hunno
22-02-14, 12:19 AM
Hey Dave,

I've got an idea for a pre-trip get together!

A night at Blacktown Drive in!!!

2746 Any takers:highly_amused:

Thats just a frigging awesome idea

redrubi
24-02-14, 07:55 PM
Nah, not scary compared with...

or

See Hunno, it's not just me!!!!!

nuclear_jk
02-03-14, 04:40 PM
I am trying to get leave so I can join this amazing adventure. Any particular mods required for this adventure?

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Dave
02-03-14, 06:14 PM
Hi "Nuclear"

If that is true, your JK shouldn't need any fuel at all haha!

If you can send me a PM with your email address, I can send you a copy of the Itinerary, which has all my suggestions for mods/equipment/spares/stuff that you should need. If you are at the club meeting on Wednesday I will have copies with me and am happy to have a chat.

In brief, your car needs a comprehensive service - the trip is 7500km or so, lots of dirt, and some will be rough! If you break down, recovery and repairs will be very expensive!

I'd recommend having light truck construction all terrain tyres, or muddies if that's what you've got. We will be driving on gibber (sharp rocks) and these hold up much better than passenger construction (stock) road tyres. I have LT All Terrains and I will have 6 wheels and tyres with me just in case.

It never hurts to have aftermarket suspension, but a stock JK should be okay for clearance.

And seriously - fuel - you need carry enough to to go 500km in high range at least.

Hope to hear from you by PM or at the meeting.

Dave

nuclear_jk
07-03-14, 09:13 PM
Thanks for adding me! Looking forward to the trip.

Thomas

Dave
16-03-14, 04:54 PM
Hi All,

I’ve finally got around to making a group email list. If you didn't get the email I just sent please PM me a correct address and I will send again.

I couldn’t get to Grease Monkey, so out of guilt for missing another SJC event, I made all the bookings for our trip to Uluru today!

I attached two documents to the email. The first is the Bookings Sheet of all the places we are camping, their contacts, the details of what I’ve booked and the actual costs! You may be pleased to know that the costs are less than what I guestimated in the itinerary. Campsites with power where available comes down from my guess of $704.60 to $547.10, so we’ve saved nearly $160 there. Unpowered camping comes down from the guess of $490.60 to $422.10. Nearly $70 off! Reckon I’ve done okay! These prices are per person, but at most places the price for two people is the same or just a few more dollars, not double!

I have reserved 10 unpowered campsites at most places. At Ayers Rock and Alice Springs I have reserved powered sites, as it came to pretty much the same cost anyway, and I was able to get a coach bay with a shelter at Ayers Rock. What you need to do is decide if what I have organised is good enough.

If you want to upgrade to a powered site where available, or upgrade to a cabin/caravan or hotel/motel room, you need to call them and ask for the upgrade. Please tell them that you are one of the Sydney Jeep Club bookings so they know what our group as a whole is doing. Where I have written ASAP you need to call ASAP, as they are almost out of cabins etc already! All these details are on the Bookings Sheet.

All the places except Alice Springs were happy to take payment from us individually when we get there, so unless you want to upgrade from unpowered camping, you only have one phone call to make, and don’t do that until I let you know. Alice Springs wants me to email them everyones details (numbers, names, contacts etc) before they will finalise my booking, and then they want money up front.

The second document I attached to the email is a Registration Form that I need everyone to fill out and get back to me at or by the April Club meeting. I will forward our details through to Alice Springs, and they will then tell me to ask you to call them with your credit card number. That won’t be until after the April Meeting.

I hope that is all okay! I have sent this to everyone on the list so far – 9 cars. I know that Marc who visited our last meeting is interested, but he hasn’t joined the club yet or confirmed that he wants to come. Hope to see or hear from everyone at the next meeting!

Dave

Dave
05-04-14, 01:45 PM
Hi All, and especially Shefy and MarcL :)

I got Rego sheets back from everyone but you guys on Wednesday night, so I'm just about all systems go to make the very last booking in Alice Springs. Then I'm just wishing the next two and a half months away because I can't wait to get out on the track!

If there is ANYONE else that would like to come along, please let me know ASAP as I will get the last booking done as soon as I have everyones details.

Thanks,
Dave

Dave
06-04-14, 08:11 AM
Shefy called me yesterday arvo. Unfortunately he doesn't think he'll be able to make it, so we still have space...

Dave

Dave
07-04-14, 07:54 PM
Hi All,

I emailed all our details to Alice Springs yesterday, and they should have emailed us all back today. I got an email asking that I call them and pay a $45 deposit, which I did.

They said that they had a couple of other calls today, so the system works!

If you have any questions or problems, please let me know.

Three months tonight is our second night in Alice Springs!

:joyous: Dave

nuclear_jk
08-04-14, 07:52 PM
Hi Dave,

I'm afraid I need to pull the pin on this trip :( I expect I'll be moving home when the trip is on and I dare say leaving the misses at home to deal with that by herself could bring on sudden castration.

I'm sorry for any inconvenience this has caused you.

Regards,

Thomas

Dave
08-04-14, 08:23 PM
Hi Dave,

I'm afraid I need to pull the pin on this trip :( I expect I'll be moving home when the trip is on and I dare say leaving the misses at home to deal with that by herself could bring on sudden castration.

I'm sorry for any inconvenience this has caused you.

Regards,

Thomas

That's a shame Thomas. Pity things haven't worked out, sounds like the house move is a bit short notice too. No fun!

Because I got your details last week, I had already sent your booking (and everyone else's) to Alice Springs, and they would have emailed you an invoice with a booking number. Would you mind calling them as per that invoice and cancelling?

Thanks, and maybe next time!

Dave

nuclear_jk
08-04-14, 09:04 PM
Will do. Thanks Dave

jeepney
17-04-14, 03:04 PM
Dave, I'll confirm when I see you in the next club meeting at Lidcombe. If you haven't finalised the list.

Dave
18-04-14, 10:13 PM
Dave, I'll confirm when I see you in the next club meeting at Lidcombe. If you haven't finalised the list.

Hi James, that will be great! Got room for another for sure!!

The only booking we have had to make in advance is at Alice Springs. I'll put you on the maybe list, but I'll send you the booking details just in case.

Thanks for the interest and Happy Easter.

See you at Rays Outdoors in a couple of weeks,

Dave

Dave
08-05-14, 10:58 PM
We had another good chat about the trip last night at the May meeting - and some serious trip shopping was done as we were at Rays Outdoors.

Still got 7 definite cars and a couple of maybes (I hope everyone has sorted out our one booking in advance at Alice Springs). JamesM didn't come to the meeting to discuss, hope he knew where we were. Richard and Joel sounded interested so I'm still hoping we might get up to 9 or 10 cars!

It's going to be great, and I'm counting it down! 7 weeks from tonight we will be at William Creek Pub on the Oodnadatta Track!

I think most of us are going to meet at Nyngan on Monday night 23rd June, but a few of us might meet at Richmond Maccas at about 8am and convoy up from there.

If anyone has ANY questions about the trip or gear that they will need, anything at all, PM, email or give me a call - all my details are on the itinerary.

Dave :eagerness:

redrubi
09-05-14, 12:11 AM
Dave,

We are leaving 2 days before you, Should we meet ourselves at Richmond Maccas first?? And what time? And should we get fuel? And should Charl wear her boots that she got last night? LOL:highly_amused:

Dave
09-05-14, 05:09 PM
Oh mate, Charl in those boots... Better not stop at maccas or she could get in real trouble :)

Dave
25-05-14, 05:04 PM
Just a bump up. Four weeks until the off and we still have seven cars, and a great crew!

JamesM just messaged me to say he wouldn't be able to make it, and I haven't heard from the few who were thinking about it last meeting. There is STILL ROOM for a few more!

If anyone else is thinking about it and wants a chat, send me a PM!

Can't wait to get on the road!

Dave

Hunno
27-05-14, 02:04 PM
4 weeks & death wobbles. O' Yah.
Already replace tracking bar bushes, next on the list Toe Rod ends.

Lord Help Me I'm in to JEEP!

Dave
27-05-14, 05:59 PM
Ouch, and 7500km to do. Not good. Big wheels? Offsets? Front caster?

Hunno
27-05-14, 08:22 PM
Worn tie rid ends I'm hoping. Fridays job.
New/2nd hand Wrangler AT tyres on thursday.
Roof rack fitting over the weekend for the jerry cans & maybe chairs.
Then a major service Tuesday/Wednesday prior to leaving so no service required while away!

Dave
05-06-14, 09:46 PM
If you were at the meeting last night, you would know we are up to 8 definites. Welcome aboard Richard!!!

I did something today that I've been meaning to do for a couple of weeks, called the Cameron Corner Store and made sure they will be open for breakfast on the 25th. They are! That means we can leave Tibooburra early on Wednesday morning (about 7am), have a leasurely brekky at the Corner at about 8.30, and have plenty of time to run down the Strezelecki to Lyndhurst before the sun gets too low, and get into camp (at the pub) for a pick me up after three fairly long days driving! The next few are easy.

A couple of people asked if we were going to convoy up to leave Sydney. I'm planning to meet Eddy at his place in Burwood at 7am on Monday 23rd. This is pretty much our normal! We will then drive to Richmond McDonalds and hopefully get there about 8am. JohnC thought he'd meet us there, and if anyone else wants to that'll be great! Let me know by email or PM so we don't leave without you. From there we will do Bells Line to Lithgow, then Mudgee, Dubbo, Nyngan. Andy and Charl are heading up a few days early and we'll meet them there. Its a pretty easy drive, and as long as we all get to Nyngan by Monday night no worries!

If you have ANY questions or need a hand organising anything, please PM or email or phone...

Two weeks and three days till I'm outa here!!!

Dave

redrubi
06-06-14, 12:37 AM
Dave,

What colour PJs sould I get for midnight dunny runs?

Charl:indecisiveness:

glend
06-06-14, 09:00 AM
Have a great trip and I hope its dry out there ( the Strez) this time.

Dave
06-06-14, 11:55 AM
Dave,

What colour PJs sould I get for midnight dunny runs?

Charl:indecisiveness:

That's an easy one, but you still have a choice. Hi-Vis Yellow, or Ghillie Suit! Either way you will freak out the dingoes (and spiders, snakes, scorpions, foxes, drop bears, backpackers, Jeff Jarrett...)!

Dave :highly_amused:

Dave
06-06-14, 11:58 AM
Have a great trip and I hope its dry out there ( the Strez) this time.

Thanks, dry would be good!!

dobbo56
06-06-14, 01:16 PM
I saw some very cool onesies in Parramatta yesterday, just the thing for those cold outback dunny runs. Just for you Andy.....

uncaged123
14-06-14, 06:49 AM
Hi Dave,

As Brigida is becoming weaker as time progresses I have decided to pull out of this trip to spend what time Brivida has before she passes on. Although the trip will be a great one, there will be other trips, but I won't have Brigida to share them with.

Have a good safe trip and I look forewards to seeing your photos.

Regards Rob S

Hunno
14-06-14, 12:55 PM
Sorry & you'll be missed on the trip, it would be the same choice I would make too Rob.
Our thoughts & prays are with you & Brigida at this time.
Hunno & Harmony.

Dave
14-06-14, 01:52 PM
So sorry to hear Rob. Completely understand and home is where you need to be! My thoughts are with you and Brigida.
David.

uncaged123
14-06-14, 02:37 PM
Many thanks to you two gentlemen.

TRBN8R
14-06-14, 06:00 PM
Sorry to hear the news Rob. God bless you both.... Enjoy your time together........

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk

redrubi
15-06-14, 10:10 PM
Will miss you Rob.

Wise choice, stay strong and cherish every moment together.

Regards

Andy&Charl:pirate::angel:

jeepney
17-06-14, 06:32 PM
Sorry to hear this news, Rob. My thoughts and prayers for Brigida, you and the family. Be strong, mate. James

Wolfe
19-06-14, 11:49 AM
All the best Rob, I'm sorry to hear about Brigida . Thinking of you both.

uncaged123
19-06-14, 06:36 PM
Thank you all so very much. I hope that those going on the trip have a great time and enjoy themselves. One day I'll be out there again with you traveling through this great land, whether it a one day, weekend or longer off road trip. Cheers Rob S

Hunno
20-06-14, 12:52 AM
Awesome!!!!! Problems solved!!!! No more Death Wobbles.

Dave
20-06-14, 09:19 AM
Awesome!!!!! Problems solved!!!! No more Death Wobbles.

Great news! All set for a good trip then. I'm meeting Ed at his place Monday morning and we'll pick up John and Richard at Richmond. Are we meeting you in Nyngan with A&C and D&S? They're driving there on the weekend. Otherwise we'll look out for you on the road on Monday. I'm going via Mudgee and Dubbo...
Far out, three days till the off. Woo hoo!
Dave

redrubi
20-06-14, 07:51 PM
We're ready to rock!!:eagerness:

AV8
20-06-14, 11:23 PM
Have fun guys n gals. We're envious! Lots if pics & youtubes please. Saw some water in Lake Eyre as I was coming back from Perth the other day, you might want to sail or swim there if you're driving by ??

Hunno
22-06-14, 04:10 PM
I plan to run a GPS tracking device for this trip a mate at work has lent me. It the first time I've done this sort of thing.
It will automatically update the website every 15 minutes as to where we are currently located so you can follow our progress.

https://spotwalla.com/tripViewer.php?id=a47f53a4cc2503be9

If the link does not work try cutting & pasting it.

Hunno

glend
23-06-14, 01:24 AM
I will be watching Hunno! And it doesn't take much effort to write a few lines at the end of each day, and run a thread here, as I did for the Darling River Trip - and by the time you get back you will have the bulk of the trip report already done. Have a safe trip everyone.

AV8
23-06-14, 08:37 AM
If you're using the GEN 3, see if it uses NiMH or Lithium. If the former, you may have to bring some extra Lithium batts, although they do last. Previous SPOTs use Lithiums

glend
26-06-14, 01:12 AM
I noticed that Hunno's Spot device showed him stopped at least ten kms east of Lyndhurst overnight on Wednesday, hope everything is ok because there's nothing there - certainly not the stopover at the pub..
It has been pretty accurate so far, even down to showing where he parked at the Cameron Corner store.

Update: well he must be ok because the tracker is showing him having moved on into Lyndhurst on Thursday morning.

Dieselcon
28-06-14, 05:32 PM
Spot device is cool.

Dave
01-07-14, 10:27 PM
Yep, all okay, just no mobile service at all from Tibooburra to Erldunda, which is where we are tonight! Some great driving, seven days of dirt and sand. Good times and photos through Cameron Corner, down the Strezelecki and up the Oodnadatta Tracks, out to Dalhousie Springs and in to Mt Dare (got to go back there, a fab place).
Yesterday was the Geographical centre of Aus then on to Chambers Pillar. Tomorrow, Uluru!
Photos at the August meeting!!

uncaged123
01-07-14, 10:50 PM
Hi Dave give my regards to everyone on the trip. Brigida hanging in there, which is rewarding. Cheers Rob

Dave
04-07-14, 10:34 AM
We've had a great couple of days at Uluru and Kata Tjuta, today we move on to Watarka. Not sure if there will be reception there, so next update may be Alice Springs.

Hunno
06-07-14, 02:10 PM
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/07/06/7any5are.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/07/06/etyhyma7.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/07/06/6yby5yba.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/07/06/7eve4a8u.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/07/06/je7u2a9a.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/07/06/za9y6y3e.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/07/06/aha7u5yq.jpg[IMG]http://img.tapatalk.com/d/

Hunno
06-07-14, 02:13 PM
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/07/06/e3e2ydav.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/07/06/zehy5y5y.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/07/06/a8uzybe2.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/07/06/ude7ybab.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/07/06/ehajabys.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/07/06/zysevuse.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/07/06/vedyze4a.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/07/06/y7a8ypu3.jpg

Hunno
06-07-14, 02:14 PM
Just some photos that on my phone.

Wooders
06-07-14, 02:35 PM
Looks miserable. Here's something to remind you of home
http://resources1.news.com.au/images/2013/11/06/1226754/337333-35700d1e-469f-11e3-b6cf-917abbb54065.jpg
and
http://resources2.news.com.au/images/2011/08/19/1226118/402326-weather.jpg

Dave
06-07-14, 09:00 PM
Thanks Dave, might stay out here http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/07/06/y3atudu3.jpg
Made it to Alice Springs, and thanks to Hunno for uploading the pix!http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/07/06/upene8yz.jpg

Dave
08-07-14, 10:38 AM
Still going! We're about to leave Alice Springs and may not have reception until we get back to Tibooburra, in a week! Danny & Sharon had to head home early so we are down to 6 cars, hopefully they are having a safe trip home on the tar! Will update when able!

glend
10-07-14, 10:54 AM
Looks like the battery has gone dead in Hunno's Spot Tracker device. No updates in the last 24 hours and the last reported position said the battery was low. I was enjoying watching their progress.

Steve F
10-07-14, 12:50 PM
Looks like the battery has gone dead in Hunno's Spot Tracker device. No updates in the last 24 hours and the last reported position said the battery was low. I was enjoying watching their progress.

Looks like it's up and running again :)

Cheers
Steve

Dave
10-07-14, 07:39 PM
Yes, Hunno is looking for his spare battery! We are in Boulia, with reception (a bit of a surprise). The Plenty highway was a good drive, tomorrow we head to Bedourie for the camel races!

Hunno
14-07-14, 08:05 AM
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/07/14/9e2aqe3y.jpg
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/07/14/asy3ysu5.jpg
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/07/14/zupysasy.jpg

And of course how could I for get the Cup Winning Donkey......
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/07/14/3ery2u3y.jpg
We all had money on him.

Dave
14-07-14, 08:17 AM
And then we went to Birdsville and had a play on Big Redhttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/07/14/yqeqyzy3.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/07/14/7u8ybemu.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/07/14/ezyduhez.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/07/14/yqunyqe4.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/07/14/ytu9yzyg.jpg

Dave
17-07-14, 09:51 PM
Last update from the road. We pushed through to Dubbo today for an easy run home tomorrow. But "we" is even more reduced. Dick stayed at Silverton and was planning to head to Menindee. Just didn't want it to end I guess. I hope he enjoyed the trip! Andy and Charlene broke the drive today, stopping in Nyngan. They are having a new windscreen fitted in Dubbo tomorrow. So, we were down to four for the Chinese banquet. But we kept the tradition!http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/07/17/e5a8ysaj.jpg

uncaged123
18-07-14, 01:41 AM
Looks like the 4 fine fellows from the snowy trip having another good chinese meal. I'll be on the next trip probably within my nephew or a fellow jeeper for company.
Cheers Rob