PDA

View Full Version : 97 TJ Transfer case Z linkage

Steven.Boyd
09-12-13, 12:29 PM
I have a 97 TJ and the Z linkage (I think thats what is called) keeps disconnecting

The 4wd leaver just becomes loose and falls back to the 2wd position even when its in 4wd

I climbed under the jeep and the linkage is all bent and had to manually put back into 2wd

What solutions are there to fix this issue

Cost?
Hard to install ?

Any help would be appreciated

D.K.
31-12-13, 11:25 AM
Hi Steve,

posted a reply in blog section by accident....

oldman
31-01-14, 11:32 PM
I'd be wondering why the linkage is bent. The standard linkage has served reliably for years, in both body lifted and no body lift TJ's. I've had sucess with both for many years.
Do you have a body lift? If so, you can get brackets to adjust the mechanism to allow for the lift in most cases, without the need for a new shifter.
I'd guess and suggest you've maybe have been unlucky and copped a whack on the linkage to bend it out of shape.
Considered the cost comparison of a straight second-hand linkage to a Novak or Advance Adaptors unit?

Steven.Boyd
31-01-14, 11:53 PM
I ordered the Novak one from wooders but I am waiting for it to arrive.

I can can get the advanced adaptor some but it does not alow you to run the standard in can leaver.

No body lift on my TJ. I could get a second hand one but I would prefer the Novak one.

If it doesn't arrive soon I'm screwed for grease monkey

Steven.Boyd
13-02-14, 08:50 PM
I have crawled under the jeep to investigate how to install my new cable shifter and have found another issue.

I have taken a shot of it. It seams the transfer case is no longer attached to the skid plate.

Has any one seen this before?

Hope it hasn't damaged the thread. Any solutions ?
I wont know more until i drop the skid plate.

Wooders
14-02-14, 10:36 AM
Steve
Is the rubber mount still attached to the transfer or the mount.
It sorta looks like from your image that the mount to transfer bracket is undone?
Actually the mount itself looks pretty ordinary.

Sent from my GT-N7105T using Tapatalk

rupicon
14-02-14, 03:41 PM
Arrrr hence the problem with linkage

Steven.Boyd
14-02-14, 05:55 PM
Will drop the crossmember off tomorrow and see what's going on. But yes that explains the linkage issues. Going to be a day under the jeep. Lots to do

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rupicon
14-02-14, 06:05 PM
Same here if I get it all done will go to rydal

Steven.Boyd
14-02-14, 09:00 PM
What do you need to do ?

rupicon
15-02-14, 08:10 AM
Fitting thermo fan and new starter motor

Steven.Boyd
15-02-14, 11:28 PM
Got the cable shifter in today.
Once I dropped the crossmember I found the issue. The two bolts that hold the the mount to the transmission (transmission to crossmember mount) had come loose and had wrecked the thread. Had to tap new thread and new bolts. Pain in the butt. All done now. The cable shifter was very easy to instal. This week I will get onto fitting the lower control arms and hope to take it out fro a test next weekend