PDA

View Full Version : Looking to buy a Jeep Wrangler, but don't know which to get, Please help!!

RTan
18-12-13, 10:57 PM
Hi everyone, I've been looking to buy a Jeep Wrangler (want to get into 4 wheel driving) and been research for a month now. I looked at the sport n rubi version, I kind of liked the rubi because of it features. I spoken to few peoples that have 4 wheel drives(not own jeep tho) and they told me to go with diesel instead of petrol. I know both diesel n petrol has it own pro n con.. Could I please have some advices from the jeep club. Thank you ..

Dieselcon
18-12-13, 11:09 PM
I have the wrangler 4 door diesel... And love it. Highway driving with bar work an lift and bigger wheels I get about 11l/100km... And it goes upto 13 in town.. Torque is awesome for towing and wheeling on rocks/ steep climbs. Yes rubi is great but if you plan to do 25000km or more per year or towing then diesel all the time. Can always add lockers at a later date.
Good luck...

Dieselcon
18-12-13, 11:09 PM
It's an auto 2010

RTan
18-12-13, 11:47 PM
Thanks for the info Dieselcon, at the moment im doing about 20-25000km a year, to and from work and travels (Fairfield to Alexandria/Mascot) in my CRV, u reckon diesel would be good as the jeep will be used as everyday car aswel??

Paul-JK
19-12-13, 08:01 AM
I've got the 2010 auto CRD 4dr as well and love it. Personally wouldn't have anything else, but that's me. I do about the same km a year as you in and drive it everyday. I love the diesel/auto combo but it might not be for everyone. You do get a little bit of throttle lag (from a combination of fly-by-wire throttle, the auto box, and turbo lag) which is most noticeable in stop start traffic but I've just gotten used to it. I'm guessing that would be less with the petrol.
The new 3.6l petrol motor is a lot better than the previous 3.8l both in power and fuel economy. It's probably still use a bit more fuel that the diesel, but I suspect that will only really be noticeable when driven hard/loaded up/towing. If you spend the vast majority of your time with the JK empty around town (sad fact but most of us do!) then the petrol will probably be OK for you.
My advice is test drive both. If you were doing loads of outback camping trips loaded up heavily, or towing a lot (for work or pleasure) then the diesel is the natural choice. If you're not then get which one feels best for you. Both are good motors.

TRBN8R
19-12-13, 10:50 AM
Rubi if u want lockers and deeper transfer case ratios for mostly weekend rock crawling and every day driving.... If u want a lot of towing and long distance travel with heavy loads, and rock crawling go diesel and put on a rear locker and sway bar disconnects yourself..... Not sure about the price difference these days..... My 3.8 petrol sport auto with bars, 33' muds, 2" lift, snorkel etc gives about 15.5l/100 in city and 13.5 on flat highways long distance...... New 3.6 is allegedly better on fuel consumption and makes 210KW.....

Sent from Asus Fonepad using Tapatalk

rupicon
20-12-13, 04:59 PM
What kind of driving do you intend to do

Wooders
21-12-13, 08:28 AM
Buy a cheap runabout daily driver. Then buy an older Jeep (TJ) & modify the nuts off that.
Then you've got the best of both worlds ;)

Sent from my GT-N7105T using Tapatalk

RTan
23-12-13, 04:12 PM
What kind of driving do you intend to do
Looking forward to do trail run, camping and road trip (road trip gonna be within NSW not interstate yet) and also use as my everyday car to n from work.

RTan
23-12-13, 04:16 PM
Thanks guys for ur help, appreciated..

RTan
23-12-13, 04:17 PM
Oh another question,, anyone bought a JK from another state with a few modifications ??

jklamb
31-12-13, 02:18 PM
I have a 2012 petrol 3.6lt JK and I just did a trip, Sydney to Rockhampton and back. I was loaded up with roof rack with roof top tent, rear draws full of food and camping gear, 60l fridge full, 20l water jerry. I was pretty loaded up, I traveled at 95km on the freeway and averaged around 13.5 to 14 lt per 100k.

When I don't have the rack on the car and cruising at 100km I get 11.2l per 100k.

Hope this helps. Also the service cost is cheaper on the petrol.

MRGC
03-01-14, 01:59 AM
I've got the 2010 auto CRD 4dr as well and love it. Personally wouldn't have anything else, but that's me. I do about the same km a year as you in and drive it everyday. I love the diesel/auto combo but it might not be for everyone. You do get a little bit of throttle lag (from a combination of fly-by-wire throttle, the auto box, and turbo lag) which is most noticeable in stop start traffic but I've just gotten used to it. I'm guessing that would be less with the petrol.
The new 3.6l petrol motor is a lot better than the previous 3.8l both in power and fuel economy. It's probably still use a bit more fuel that the diesel, but I suspect that will only really be noticeable when driven hard/loaded up/towing. If you spend the vast majority of your time with the JK empty around town (sad fact but most of us do!) then the petrol will probably be OK for you.
My advice is test drive both. If you were doing loads of outback camping trips loaded up heavily, or towing a lot (for work or pleasure) then the diesel is the natural choice. If you're not then get which one feels best for you. Both are good motors.

Sprintbooster will sort out the throttle lag.

rupicon
03-01-14, 09:24 AM
Looking forward to do trail run, camping and road trip (road trip gonna be within NSW not interstate yet) and also use as my everyday car to n from work.

Sounds like a sport will do the job may be if your not towing you don't need diesel
I got the rubie and have not looked back

RTan
06-01-14, 11:50 PM
Thanks for all ur info guys... I've decide to buy a rubi, gonna go and pick it up from melb tomorrow...can't wait...... :-)

Paul-JK
07-01-14, 08:56 AM
Congrat's. I'm sure you'll love it. And a drive back from Melbourne is certainly one way of getting to know a new car!

Don't be shy with the photos once you get back. Always good to see someone's new steed......so we've got the "before" pictures to see how much you mod it once you pick it up.

rupicon
07-01-14, 11:50 AM
Good choice