PDA

View Full Version : Help: 2014 WK2 GC: Panel around gear knob plastic peeling

slickaz
21-12-13, 11:58 PM
Today i notice there was a small droplet of some liquid on the plastic near the shifter.

i wiped it clean and there was a little smudge left so i tried wiping that and it wouldn't come off.

mrs used a wet wipe on it and BAM paint starts chipping off the center of the droplet mark.

now i have a brand new jeep with paint chipping of the center console and its heart breaking

can someone help

Jeep11
22-12-13, 04:41 AM
Hey brother ,
don't know really what do with that, but I would be taking it back to the dealer

TRBN8R
22-12-13, 12:52 PM
Take it back to the dealers..... Should be covered under warranty....

Rob.79
23-12-13, 11:17 AM
I would also return to the dealers...

But I would not mention you cleaned it with a Wet-Wipe, As that could be an issue for a warranty claim, as some cleaning wipes can contain alcohol, which can damage paintwork, an as such would not be covered by the warranty! I work for a German Car manufacturer, and 'OUTSIDE influences' i.e aftershave and things like perfume, some cleaning agents and soft drinks, contain acids/alcohol etc, all stuff that can damage paint work and plastics...

If you tell them anything, always tell them you cleaned it with a damp cloth!! :encouragement:

slickaz
23-12-13, 12:07 PM
thanks guys, im going to call the dealer now.
will let you guys know what is happening with it

slickaz
23-12-13, 02:28 PM
I called them and they said, i would have to drive it in to show them the chipping after which they will decide if its under warranty or not.

redrubi
23-12-13, 09:26 PM
It is!! Don't take their crap!!

slickaz
30-12-13, 02:49 PM
It is!! Don't take their crap!!

Alright,
went in to suttons rosebery and they had a look at it, basically gave me the story about the long winded process of making a warranty claim for something as small as a paint chip that "looks like its been scratched out"

Why would someone scratch their own brand new car on the inside!

He said "We will need to take a pic of it and make a warranty claim to Jeep. They will probably come back and say no its not a warranty claimable job. so it is totally up to you, but to me, it looks like a paint scratch and I know that is what they will say"

They gave me the number of a guy that does interior touch ups in Sydney

Rob.79
30-12-13, 06:00 PM
I would have thought after you had spent all that money buying the new car that they would have carried out the claim regardless, the dealer can carry out repairs under 'Goodwill' on behalf of JEEP, also!

The issue is, when they replace a component, 99% of the time it is sent back to the manufacturer for testing, (as the manufacturer has to cover the cost of the new part), and if no 'manufacturing defect' is found, the claim is rejected, then the dealer, or the customer, has to cover the cost of the component, and any repair time they claim, so they have to ensure the repair is 100% covered under the warranty guidelines.. In this case i would think that an actual defect with the trim, like a loose mounting, or a fault with the application of the paint/coating of the trim, would be needed..

I find that if you complain enough, then it can be sorted out.. Find out the email address, or phone number of "Jeep customer-care" and take it up with them, A.S.A.P, as you have spent alot of money, and you will be spending money, with servicing etc...

But like i said before unfortunatley, all manufacturers do have limits, in what is and is not 'covered under warranty', look into your warranty and check the T&C's...

Also note that if you do have the trim repaired, then any future warranty claims on that part could be void as it has been altered/modified.....!

I deal with warranty claims in my job every day, and it is a real 'ball ache', for Tech's, service/Warranty Dept, and for the Customers!!