PDA

View Full Version : Wrangler and importance of locking diffs and swaybar disconnect (newbie)

andred0250
25-12-13, 07:12 PM
Hey all,

I am new to off roading; I have no 4x4 experience nor mechanical know how. Hence I appreciate advice from experts. I am considering purchasing a new Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (Rubicon or Sport) to get into off roading (not at a competitive or extreme level though). I noticed that the Rubicon has special low range gears for rock crawling and also locking differentials and disconnecting sway bars as standard from the factory (over the Sport model). From my internet research I know these are useful but wanted to know what percentage of tracks in NSW, and more broadly Australia do you think these features are necessary? I do not want to be spending the money on the Rubicon or purchasing extra parts for a Sport purchase if few off road trails require them. Also if I do make an aftermarket purchase what would be the approximate price range for fitting locking diffs and sway bar disconnect? Also, has anyone had any issues of voiding their warranty through such mechanical alterations (as well as others)

Thanks

TRBN8R
25-12-13, 08:06 PM
Hi Andre,

Mate for most people Jeeping is like a drug. Once u get hooked onto it you end up in a never ending cycle of modding it. If you are a man of limited mechanical knowledge and have a budget for a Rubicon then go for the Rubicon str8 away. It also comes with deeper Transfercase ratios and stronger Dana 44 diff in the front in addition to the lockers and swaybar discos. All you need to add is lift and tyres to make it virtually invincible. If you want to source all the goodies and add it to a sport to bring it at par with the Rubi you will end up spending way more than the price difference. If you have a bigger budget you can go Monster Jeep the way Miraz, Skizzi and a couple others have gone. Most tracks in Australia can be done with 33" tyres coupled with 2-3" lift and lockers front and rear. Throw in a steel bar and winch for good measure. 80% of the tracks the club does can be covered comfortably with a JK Sport 2" lift 33" tyres and manual swaybar discos. Other 20% need lockers and 35" tyres.

I drive a JKU Sport with 2.5" actual lift, 33" Tyres, Manual Swaybar Discos and a LSD TruTrac in the rear end and I have done most of the trips the club runs. I was on a very tight budget and couldnt afford the extra $6000 for the Rubi then. I put that money into lift, Tyres, Snorkel etc over the years and am still saving for stronger front diff and front locker. If I could afford it I would have definitely gone the Rubicon.

Also if I do make an aftermarket purchase what would be the approximate price range for fitting locking diffs and sway bar disconnect?

I would go manual swaybar disco for about $250 and fit it myself. Eaton Elockers are about $1100 each and about $800 fitting all up........ But you still will not have the 4.11 transfercase and Dana44 in the front..... Warranty is another issue.... Normally they have to prove that the modification caused the failure to deny warranty.....

Hope it helps and happy jeeping....

Mani

redrubi
26-12-13, 05:15 PM
Rubi all the way!!

Mani has said it all! Hope to see you at the club once "bitten" by the JEEP BUG. LOL:encouragement:

Cheers

Andy:pirate:

Paul-JK
26-12-13, 09:37 PM
Just to play devils advocate, I agree with what Mani has written BUT it does depend on your intentions. I don't have lockers, and for the type of driving I do I don't need them. It's not that my JK is a show pony. I like to give it a workout as it was bought and built to be used but it has a very good traction control system that's worked well enough for me.

You've said that you've got no 4WD experience. I was in the same situation when I bought my JK and even without lockers the JK is more capable than I am. I tend to loose my nerve before it stops going. Sure there are some tracks that you need lockers for, but I'd have to ask myself if I really wanted to drive them even if I had lockers. My JK is my DD and I'd be lost without it so lockers or not I don't want to risk significant damage trying to climb Everest with it.

If you know you want to drive those sorts of tracks then get the lockers (either aftermarket or just get the Rubi). Otherwise I'd say get a Sport, save the money and put some of it into getting a good suspension upgrade. If you get a good suspension set up with plenty of flex that keeps the wheels on the ground then you don't really need the lockers. If you assume you're going to have to upgrade the suspension anyway (the JKU badly needs a 2" lift to keep it from dragging it's belly) then the difference between a mediocre lift and a good lift isn't that much. Certainly a lot less than the lockers would have cost you. You've then got some spare $ for the myriad of accessories you'll decide you want later.

Seriously though, a JK with a good 2" lift, decent tyres and sway bar disconnects will go a lot further than most people think.

Wooders
26-12-13, 11:11 PM
Seriously though, a JK ...... will go a lot further than most people think.
Really that's all that needs to be said ;)
Lockers etc enhance the vehicles capability - not the drivers ;)
99.9% of tracks around Aust can be driven without lockers - but with them it's easier on the vehicle and the track.
But really theres many more skills that can make a competent driver.

dobbo56
27-12-13, 11:43 AM
Really that's all that needs to be said ;)
Lockers etc enhance the vehicles capability - not the drivers ;)
99.9% of tracks around Aust can be driven without lockers - but with them it's easier on the vehicle and the track.
But really theres many more skills that can make a competent driver.

Well said Dave, JK Sport, 2.5" lift, disconnects and 33" muddies, get's me were I want to go, Doggy Dave.

andred0250
31-12-13, 07:02 AM
hey all. Thanks for the information. Everything is now clearer. Its also useful to know about the importance of the suspension lift.