View Full Version : Reverse Camera

Paul-JK
31-12-13, 05:45 PM
Hi All,

I bought a rear camera for the JK that's been sitting in my garage for way too long now so though I'd better have a go at fitting it......then realised I wasn't exactly sure how! I'm sure this all very simple but just wanted to check with people that know before I start butchering electrical cable and killing my JK.

The monitor (rear view mirror clip-on thing) needs accessories power and reverse power connections. Where is it best to connect these to? Not sure where is the easiest point to access these power cables in a JK.

The camera itself also needs to be connected to the reverse power. I assume I just tap into one of the reverse lamp wires. Is that right?

How is best to tap into these cables? I've seen some "how to" vid's where they strip the cable protector from the original cable, wrap the end of the new cable around it, solder it all together and then wrap in tape. Is that the best way or is there an easier/better way?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks and have a fantastic new year!

Paul

Jeep11
31-12-13, 07:46 PM
Hey Paul, I know shit all about these things, but I can let you know that You tube is great for stuff like that.

Paul-JK
31-12-13, 07:54 PM
That makes 2 of us! Anything mechanical and I can usually get my head around it. Anything electrical and it goes in one ear and out the other.

Been flicking through a few you tube clips trying to get some ideas. My biggest issue is where/how to pick up the reverse power in the dash in a JK.......not found anything that JK specific yet but I'll keep looking.

Wallyd
01-01-14, 09:43 AM
That makes 2 of us! Anything mechanical and I can usually get my head around it. Anything electrical and it goes in one ear and out the other.

Been flicking through a few you tube clips trying to get some ideas. My biggest issue is where/how to pick up the reverse power in the dash in a JK.......not found anything that JK specific yet but I'll keep looking.

Easiest way to pick up reverse is at the globe. Does the monitor need constant feed while car is in use? If not, feed that off the reverse too, so that everything starts up when u put in reverse

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

Paul-JK
01-01-14, 10:16 AM
Hi Wally,

The monitor has 2 power connections, one to go to the accessories power and one to go to the reverse power. I guess it will allow you to potentially turn on the monitor manually if you have more than one camera connected as well as coming on with the reverse feed.

I asked a guy on AJOR who'd just fitted one to his JK and he said he just powered the monitor from the accessories feed (being an easy one to find) and didn't bother hooking it to the reverse feed. It then automatically turned on when the camera (which is fed from the reverse circuit) comes on. Might give that a go first. If it doesn't work then I'll start chasing reverse wires under the dash, or find out where the power cable for the rear globes comes from and tap into that for the monitor as well.

Thanks,

Paul

Fussy
01-01-14, 11:54 AM
Hi Paul, I like to use these blue connectors to tap into existing cable
http://www.ebay.com.au/bhp/splice-connectors

uncaged123
01-01-14, 01:40 PM
Hi Wally,

The monitor has 2 power connections, one to go to the accessories power and one to go to the reverse power. I guess it will allow you to potentially turn on the monitor manually if you have more than one camera connected as well as coming on with the reverse feed.

I asked a guy on AJOR who'd just fitted one to his JK and he said he just powered the monitor from the accessories feed (being an easy one to find) and didn't bother hooking it to the reverse feed. It then automatically turned on when the camera (which is fed from the reverse circuit) comes on. Might give that a go first. If it doesn't work then I'll start chasing reverse wires under the dash, or find out where the power cable for the rear globes comes from and tap into that for the monitor as well.

Thanks,

Paul

Hi Paul

Beside my purchased jk fitted reversing camera and sensors, I had two after market cameras fitted for viewing the track directly in front of my jeep and one fitted to the rear light above the spare tyre. The latter I use to check who is behind and reversing when I am towing my camper. They are connected to the accessories cable and can be switched to either front or rear.

The reversing camera is located near the rear number plate. Hope this help you with your camera(s) installation.

Cheers Rob

Wallyd
01-01-14, 06:31 PM
Easiest accessories power location access is your cig lighter. My 08 model has 2. 1 is to acc, the other is permanent 12v. Tap into it via the wires behind it...
What year model is yours?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

Rob&Tanya
01-01-14, 06:56 PM
Sounds like the same system we have on our 4 dr JK. We're just in Hornsby Heights if you wanted to swing by at some time and see how we've connected ours. We have fitted 2 cameras and have the clip on mirror thing. Cheers Rob & Tanya.

Paul-JK
01-01-14, 10:28 PM
Thanks All.

Fussy - I've seen those connectors before but never used them. Some people seemed to like them, others swear by soldering any connections. Might have to give them a go. If the worst comes to the worst I can always solder the connection later if need be.

Wally - Mines an MY10 but sounds like it has the same sockets as yours.

Rob & Tanya - Didn't realise you were so close. Might take you up on that. Always good to have a nose and see how others have done things. I'll send you a PM.

Thanks,

Paul

Rob.79
02-01-14, 09:37 AM
Hi Paul, I like to use these blue connectors to tap into existing cable
http://www.ebay.com.au/bhp/splice-connectors

Personaly i would never, ever use these 'Scotch-lock' connectors, they have poor insulation, no water tight seal, because of the size they can also alter the resistance in the wire and cause a voltage drop, and usually damage the wire core, as they are all one size, and the wires in the harness cam range from, 0.2 - 1.5mm.

I have had to re-repair so many harnesses over the years after someone has fitted these (cheap-ass tow bar companies use these to save time and money)..

I would either solder the wires, after making a good mechanical connection, then use a 'shrink/heat wrap seal to keep the water out, Solder can cause issues also, as everyone solders differently, and it could also cause a resistance difference in the harness, for most straight forward 12V supplies, or earths it would be ok, but for CAN bus, or wires the have a lower voltage e.i 5V signal they are a big no no, or use correct size crimp connector, which already have heat/shrink around them... (WURTH? supply these)

And for me insulation tape on bare wires is a No too, always use heat shrink tubing where possible.. insulating tape is ok to bind a harness together to make it look neat, ( and maybe to hold a cut finger together) but thats about all its good for.

I say this as I currently rewiring a gearbox harness, from the box to the ECU, some fool repaired the harness under the car after it hit something and crushed a few wires, they soldered the wires back together and wrapped a little tape around the wire.. What a mess! because the repair is so bad, it has let in water and the current in the wires has pulled the water up from under the car, into the ECU under the driver seat..

Could have been avoided if repaired correctly the first time!

Rob

Rob.79
02-01-14, 11:47 AM

just like this!

Wooders
03-01-14, 10:18 AM
Agree completely woth Rob, whilst the sotchlock conectors are fast & easy, they are far from a quality method and often result in ling term problems.

Sent from my GT-N7105T using Tapatalk

DanD
03-01-14, 11:05 AM
Personaly i would never, ever use these 'Scotch-lock' connectors, they have poor insulation, no water tight seal, because of the size they can also alter the resistance in the wire and cause a voltage drop, and usually damage the wire core, as they are all one size, and the wires in the harness cam range from, 0.2 - 1.5mm. <snip>
Rob

Agree completely woth Rob, whilst the sotchlock conectors are fast & easy, they are far from a quality method and often result in ling term problems.

Whats your thoughts on using Posi-taps? http://www.posi-lock.com/posiplug.html

Rob.79
03-01-14, 01:29 PM
I have never used these, I have seen similat types used, but they are not for me, they would do the job, and would 'get you home', but a good crimped joint, or soldered, if done correclty, the issue is a soldered joint is only as good as the person doing it, and it needs to be sealed/insulated correctly after.

these are similar to the connectors i would use, (also these need to be used with the correct crimping tool!)
http://www.narva.com.au/products/browse/heatshrink-terminals

Paul-JK
03-01-14, 02:56 PM
Few questions for the wiring guru's.......

1) If I was just connecting 2 wires together, could I use the male/female terminals (like the one's Rob linked to) without them being in a terminal block of some sort?
2) What is the best way of connecting 2 wires (say the +ve for 2 LED lights) to a single wire (the power source)?
3) What is the best way of splicing a wire (say my reversing camera) into the middle of another wire (the power for the reversing lights)? I know this was partly covered above but would you strip the cable cover on a small section in the middle of the main wire and then wrap the end of the additional wire to it and then solder, or would you cut the original wire which would essentially take me to the same situation as in question 2?

Thanks guys. Learning heaps here. I usually avoid touching anything electrical for fear of buggering it up so very grateful for any/all advice.

Cheers,

Paul

Rob.79
03-01-14, 03:34 PM

This is how i would splice in one wire, for a live/earth feed. Cut the wire, feed two wires into one side of the connector.

If i was looking for a + feed for additional lights (dependent on the current required for the lights) I would be looking at taking a seperate/new live feed from the fuse box/battery with a fused link and not piggy-backing from another consumer ..

Wooders
06-01-14, 08:46 AM
Whats your thoughts on using Posi-taps? http://www.posi-lock.com/posiplug.html

The wire is too exposed and I'd be worried about it shorting if it touched something.
Like Rob, I use a lot of the narva style of plugs. Simple cheap and easy.
Things to keep in mind with any electrical connections:
Will it possibly short out?
Will it be well sealed again corrosion causing water and moisture?
Is the connection going to give the best quality /least resistance possible?
Are you going to need to unplug it? (You wouldn't believe how many times I've seen a trailer plug spliced into the taillight side of a plug - making any change of a broken taillight that much harder).

rainman
13-01-14, 11:16 PM
i have one in my xj i went for reverse from the lights and went to the tail lights for the +12v.
so when you go in reverse the camera comes on automatically. if you want to look out the rear camera to monitor a trailer or what not just have to turn on the tail lights before selecting the camera on the display.
the advantage of this is that only a single wire has to be run from the rear to the dash.
as for splicing wires i use solder and heat shrink the type that has glue on the inside.
cut and strip for me, when tapping into a wire, if i have to.
mostly i chase the wire to a plug, extract the pin from the plug solder the new wire to the back of the pin and put the pin back in the plug.
good luck with it.