PDA

View Full Version : No Doors!

SK581
26-01-14, 12:09 AM
Are you allow to drive on NSW roads with your doors off?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rob.79
26-01-14, 12:27 AM
I wouldn't think so, if the vehicle was originally fitted with doors when it was compliance checked? but I think half doors and the tubular type half doors are ok/road legal...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Paul-JK
26-01-14, 09:35 AM
As Rob said, I don't think it's legal as they were compliance tested with doors. I've heard it discussed a few times and the general consensus is that all it would take would be a letter from Chrysler saying it's safe to do so, but that won't happen. On that note I wonder if they were ever compliance tested without a top?

There aren't any safety features in the doors themselves (ie no side impact protection etc) so other than stopping sticks & stones from flicking in the doors won't add any protection as such. Probably the only thing they will do is possibly give the side airbags something to push against if you have side airbags in your JK. Other than that they are not much more than just stone shields on hinges really but technically they need to be there.

I've heard of a few guys driving around door-less with nothing more than admiring glances from the boys in blue but I guess you can't count on that always being the case.

Bear
26-01-14, 10:19 AM
Somewhere in the archives on this forum is an article by a member who had a fine reversed by the SDRO (State debt recovery office). The fine was imposed for driving with his doors off.The article outlines the relevant parts of the act, covering the specifications governing the removal of doors. I think the guys forum name was "pura vida".

ps. The upshot of the regulations is that they require the mirrors moved from the doors and mounted on the bodywork, and the seat is more than 700mm above the ground.

uncaged123
26-01-14, 03:19 PM
I looked into this matter and what I could find was if it meets the relevant Australian Standard its ok. My assumption by the Standard is that half doors and rolled pipe doors are legal as long as they have mirrors. Hope this help. Cheers RobS

DanD
26-01-14, 08:08 PM
I don't mean to keep plugging his equipment, but Uneek4x4 do tube doors for the JK - as far as I know, he hasn't done anything for the JK that doesn't meet legal approval apart from the stubby bumper which is listed as off-road only. He was at the 4x4 show last October where they were on the LEDs Unlimited JK - they look pretty cool, and even have a lock on them to stop people pinching your tube doors haha

redrubi
27-01-14, 12:33 AM
Check out Hunty's JK in members rigs (tube doors)>

However, that wasn't SK587's question!!

Hunno
27-01-14, 08:49 PM
Somewhere in the archives on this forum is an article by a member who had a fine reversed by the SDRO (State debt recovery office). The fine was imposed for driving with his doors off.The article outlines the relevant parts of the act, covering the specifications governing the removal of doors. I think the guys forum name was "pura vida".

ps. The upshot of the regulations is that they require the mirrors moved from the doors and mounted on the bodywork, and the seat is more than 700mm above the ground.

Correct Bear,

it was shown, that with the early TJ's the doors were not part of the side intrusion protection & therefore not a safety issue not having them.

CJ's no problem not having doors.
JK' s must run doors, as stated pipe doors seem to get you by.