PDA

View Full Version : Another Wrangler article in Caradvice

Easy77
22-05-14, 09:36 PM
Just thought some of you might be interested - there's another Caradvice article on Wrangler: http://www.caradvice.com.au/286363/2014-jeep-wrangler-review-freedom-special-edition/

This is a second one this month I believe (there was one video review from Grease Monkey event just two-three weeks ago)...!

LeighP
25-05-14, 03:55 PM
I don't know....I read that and I get the impression they're a dump truck to drive on the road.
Yet it couldn't be further from the truth. I've just bought a 2013 JK 2 door Overland, and one of the big reasons is how it drove on the test drive.
I'd test driven an FJ Cruiser a couple of weeks before, which was a nice car to drive, but you could feel how heavy it is. When I drove the JK, I was very surprised at how much better it was, at least to me, to drive....certainly more nippy, that surprised me again, noticeably more keen to jump off the mark than the heavier FJC.
I think this reviewer gives himself away when he complains about the door handle/button system......when I use them, I immediately think "thank God, a descent door handle...." lol.

DanD
25-05-14, 08:30 PM
"But, if you’re the kind of person who loves the outdoors, jumping in puddles when its raining and getting covered in mud while away camping, a Jeep is probably one of the smartest decisions you could make. With the Wrangler being an even better one. There’s no way around it. Off-road, this thing is unreal."

"Unmodified, and being steered by 4×4 novices, the Freedom was aided in no small part by its Wrangler Sport-matching 35-degree approach angle, 22-degree breakover angle and 28-degree departure angle. Even its Wrangler Rubicon-equalling 220mm ground clearance – down 8mm on the Wrangler Sport’s 228mm – proved no issue.

And while the Freedom’s on-road manners leave much to be desired, off-road these all but melt away, replaced instead by a feeling of supreme ability and competence. The steering’s slack nature no longer reduces feel but instead aids low-speed adventuring with its slow rack and dulled feedback. Body roll, too, turns into flexibility and impressive axle articulation, while an unsettled road ride becomes irrelevant as the Freedom easily traverses terrain any comfortable-riding road car would simply fall apart on."

"Claiming 11.7L/100km from the factory, over our week with the car we averaged 15.8L/100km. lol last check with the Pentacostal, I was up around the 17L/100km...

"These are, however, also contrasted by less polished elements such as the plastic handbrake and door handles, flimsy air vents, old and tacky-looking green-backlit multi-fonted instrument displays, auto down-only front power windows and rudimentary six-speaker audio system." Less polished means that the JK can be *hosed out* when dirty and not kill too many electrickey things

LeighP
09-06-14, 08:26 PM
I've put three tanks of fuel (95) through the JK. Got 11.2lt/100km on the first tank, 12.3 on the second and 11.4 on the third.
First and third tanks were a mix of local suburban and freeway driving, second tank was local suburban driving. Third tank included about 40k's of 4WD and low range over a fire trail.
I'm very happy, no complaints from me.
A number of my cars have shown noticable improvements in economy using 95, though 98 doesn't seem to make any difference over 95.

Dru
30-06-14, 05:52 PM
We finally picked up our '14 Wrangler Rubicon. 3 Door. ALL of the reports I read beforehand did not tell the story. So wrt luxury, finish etc... Just love it. I don't get review complaints about being cheap plastic etc at all. Very comfortable.
x love the heated seats
x love the leather trim, didn't order this, and fabric probably better on the trail, but love it
x generally the ergonomics, fantastic
x the ride, amazing for a dedicated trek 4wd
x engine, very torque-y. Smooth. Confidence inspiring.
x windscreen wash, wow! Turbot jet wash
x sound system, more than I need

All in all the finish and build quality is just fabulous. But it what would I know, my other car is just a Porsche.

Unexpected things that were not reviewed:
x hand brake is left in LH drive mode. Annoying until I sussed the hill start assist, and then it's irrelevant.
x The rear window seal over the rear door hinge. What do you think? Doesn't like it will last long.
x access into the rear seats, wow, just silly! We will probably simply remove the rear seat. I guess every review is for the 5 door? Can you remove the head restraints from the rear seat back? That would make storage on the seat useable.
x Can't heel and toe.
x the GPS navigation screen is too bright at night. Distracting. Does anyone know how to dim it?

Mileage? Guys I think you are being optimistic! I suspect 12 to 12.5 l/100k on the highway. Strangely enough on easy to medium trails I'm getting better than 11 l/100k. Go figure.

Awesome truck, can't wait to test it properly.

DanD
30-06-14, 07:40 PM
Great to read that you're wrapped with it! :D

Re the below - my 2012 JK hasn't had any issues with the rubber on the door hinge - though, in saying that, I mostly try to open the tailgate fully to avoid the rubber getting bent into all sorts of funny angles
& the rear headrests can be removed and is a recommended to do if you're keeping the back seats in! (I removed mine whilst waiting for the sales person at pickup of the JK (gave him a lift home as he lived near me) along with flipping the rear view mirror to get some more windscreen real estate)

x The rear window seal over the rear door hinge. What do you think? Doesn't like it will last long.
x access into the rear seats, wow, just silly! We will probably simply remove the rear seat. I guess every review is for the 5 door? Can you remove the head restraints from the rear seat back? That would make storage on the seat useable.

Enjoy your new toy!! :D !!

Dru
08-07-14, 02:44 PM
Hard not to like. Must sort out fully joining. Solo on the trails is great, but...

btw worked out how to turn off the sat nav thing at night. Well not me but my better, and smarter, half. :-)

uncaged123
15-07-14, 05:57 PM
What do you expect from an armchair critic !!!!

AV8
15-07-14, 06:16 PM
Well, we're hoping to put down a deposit for a Black/Matte '15 JKU Rubi. Test drove one last year and it was a hoot! Banged it up and hard at Golden Spike.

Been told the Rubi X will be called something like Rock Hard with a couple more colour options.

The critic wouldn't understand. It's a Jeep thang. They're just critical of the on road, grocery getting mannerism of the truck and oh yes, also to what's trending today. greenies L/km