PDA

View Full Version : Need traction - Automatic lockers???

Elio S
18-06-14, 07:54 AM
Am toying with the idea of putting an auto locker in the back of my WG as the open diffs are forever getting me stuck offroad and there is no selectable locker available for this model, but I procrastinate because at the same time, I don't want to affect it's onroad characteristics too much. Has anybody got an auto locker fitted to the rear of their Jeep, and would you be able to take me for a test drive around suburban streets so I can see for myself what they are like on the bitumen??
Only other way that I figure to get more traction is to either find a 2nd hand varilok diff somewhere, or find a Dana 35 off an older model or JK diff swaps. Don't imagine any method is going to be cheap.
Or, I suppose I can put a selectable locker in the front and keep the rear diff open. Don't know how effective this set up would be though.
Anyone else got any ideas??

rupicon
18-06-14, 07:05 PM
im not a fan of auto lockers and idont think test driving another car would be worth while as there are so many variables with these things, I have had an auto locker that would bang and clunk .Selectable lockers are the top shelf with a topshelf price to go with them. many people will sing praise for autos however ,I think the Detroit locker would be the pick but it comes down to who sets it up etc.The added cost of changing to d44 etc may make an auto worth a try in your case,good luck

fraz
19-06-14, 07:11 PM
I run an auto locker in the front of my XJ amd can't fault it. The only thing I've found is when in 4wd it tends to self centre a lot quicker. It's quiet as a mouse though, don't hear it unlock over the noise of the motor and tyres.

In the rear it can lead to accelerated tyre wear, especially if you're doing a lot of city driving. They also tend to make more noise in the rear

Hunno
20-06-14, 12:50 AM
I've got an Auto Locker in both my ZJ & WJ grands. I have no problems with them, how ecer they can clicking & tyre squealing as they lock under pressure i.e. accelerating in a corner.

Hunno
20-06-14, 12:51 AM
And for get about a Dana 35. Your just going to snap axles.

Elio S
20-06-14, 08:48 AM
And for get about a Dana 35. Your just going to snap axles.

Lol well there goes that idea. I don't do a lot of around town driving because I'm usually in the work van, but I do drive it to the local shops and the gym. When I purchased the WG it was intended for long distance trips and I plan on driving it to surfers later on in the year. I understand about the accelerated tyre wear and clicking, but thinking back to when I was younger (late 80's), my mates had locked rear ends in street cars and all I remember were the tyres chirping going round corners and sometimes a huge bang coming from rear ends. That's what I don't want.

Hunno
20-06-14, 12:09 PM
I've had no loud banging from the rear ever, but the clicking yes.

Lord Help Me I'm in to JEEP!

fraz
20-06-14, 02:21 PM
Detroit Lockers tend to clunk and bang quite a bit, some even sound like gun-shots going off if you're really into it around a corner. :highly_amused:

AV8
20-06-14, 04:16 PM
I've had no loud banging from the rear ever, but the clicking yes.!

lol ly. Reminds me of sweet Lucy..:highly_amused::highly_amused::very_drunk::v ery_drunk:

Sorry, Friday arvo, weekend's started :hopelessness:

Cpage66
20-06-14, 06:11 PM
Run an Aussie Locker in the D44A in my Grand and have for years....Run a full Detroit in the rear and a Spartan in my XJ...no problems.

Elio S
21-06-14, 06:39 AM
lol ly. Reminds me of sweet Lucy..:highly_amused::highly_amused::very_drunk::v ery_drunk:

Sorry, Friday arvo, weekend's started :hopelessness:

AV8, I thought I had a dirty mind, but this never occurred to me lol.:drunk: From what everybody is saying, everybody that actually has an auto locker is pretty happy with it. I think this is the route I will be going down. At worst, they're not expensive, and they're easy to fit, so if I don't like it, I can always pull it out and onsell it.:greedy_dollars: